Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,759 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:48 PM

140 IPOB Members Detained For Allegedly Plotting To Overthrow Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 140 IPOB Members Detained For Allegedly Plotting To Overthrow Buhari (1592 Views)

Tinubu Is Using EndSARS Protest As A Plot To Overthrow Buhari - Miyetti Allah / Agba Jalingo: Ben Ayade Claims Detained Journalist Tried To Overthrow Buhari / Iranian Shi’ites Threaten To Overthrow Buhari (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

140 IPOB Members Detained For Allegedly Plotting To Overthrow Buhari by miteolu(m): 9:22pm On May 23, 2019
Native Reporters

An Enugu East Magistrates Court presided by Magistrate A. N. Chioke has remanded 140 members of the proscribed Indigenous Peoples of Biafra (IPOB) over an alleged treason.

The defendants, who were brought to the court in three 608 buses and one 18-seater bus, were said to have conspired to commit treasonable felony.

They were however, arraigned outside the court for about two hours as the court room could not accommodate them.

The offence was said to be punishable under Sect. 516 (A) of the Criminal Code CAP C38, Laws of Federal Republic of Nigeria 2004 as applicable in Enugu State.

When the charge was read, the defendants pleaded not guilty.

One of the defense counsels, Osita Abalu, applied for their bail on the grounds that there was no evidence to back up the charge.

Mr Abalu said the prosecution had failed to provide probable cause why the defendants should be remanded in court in line with Sect. 234 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Laws (ACJL) of Enugu State, 2017.

He urged the court to exercise its powers under Section 225 of the same law and grant bail to the defendants.

Mr Abalu said though the offence for which the defendants were charged was punishable with life imprisonment, Section 88 of the ACJL, the Magistrates Court was qualified to grant bail.

He also urged the court to order the release of the four buses conveying the defendants to the venue of the burial.

Counsel to the 107 defendants, F.C. Okeke, told the court that it was ridiculous for the prosecution to claim that the defendants attempted to overthrow President Muhammadu Buhari.

Mr Okeke said the defendants were arrested on their way to a burial and wondered how that could translate to over throwing the government.

“President Muhammadu Buhari is in Abuja, Gov. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi is in Enugu while the defendants were arrested in Nsukka,” he said.

The counsel described the charge as trumped-up and meant to deny the defendants of their fundamental rights.

Mr Okeke said the prosecution deliberately brought the matter to the Magistrates Court just to punish them.

“An accused person cannot be brought to a court when such court has no jurisdiction to entertain the matter just to punish them.

“That is the essence of the ACJL of Enugu State. The law does not want an innocent soul to suffer.

“The defendants were arrested with no evidence; not even a razor blade. They were going to a burial,” he said.

Mr Okeke urged the court to grant them bail in the most lenient means.

However, the prosecution counsel, Paschal Nwachukwu, urged the court to discountenance the bail application.

Mr Nwachukwu said the law empowered prosecutors to bring defendants to a magistrate for remand.

He said a court could not grant bail in a matter it had no jurisdiction.

In her ruling, Mrs Chioke declined jurisdiction in the case and remanded the defendants in Enugu Prisons and urged the defense team to make application in the appropriate court.

The magistrate ordered the release of the four vehicles to their owners on bond and on the provision of proof of ownership and particulars.

“The charge the defendants are remanded for is treasonable but the prosecution did not list any exhibit of weapon of warfare against them.

“The only document against them before the court is the charge sheet. This looks to me like a trumped up charge,” Mrs Chioke said.

http://www.nativereporters.com/140-ipob-members-detained-for-allegedly-plotting-to-overthrow-buhari/

Re: 140 IPOB Members Detained For Allegedly Plotting To Overthrow Buhari by Tocynone(m): 9:25pm On May 23, 2019
What's our problem in this country now
Re: 140 IPOB Members Detained For Allegedly Plotting To Overthrow Buhari by Donelli: 10:06pm On May 23, 2019
This is one of the reasons Nigeria has become a laughing stock

1 Like

Re: 140 IPOB Members Detained For Allegedly Plotting To Overthrow Buhari by Okoroawusa: 10:26pm On May 23, 2019
They should write a letter to Nnamdi Kanu in London.

I have a paper... who has a pen?

2 Likes

Re: 140 IPOB Members Detained For Allegedly Plotting To Overthrow Buhari by Abkreizi: 10:30pm On May 23, 2019
hmmmmmm ....... which way..... i am from the middle belt but i will go with this biafra if the eventually secede..... aboki will be our undoing.........

7 Likes

Re: 140 IPOB Members Detained For Allegedly Plotting To Overthrow Buhari by hammer6F: 10:30pm On May 23, 2019
Y NOT THE ENTIRE SE DETAINED.

NIGERIA IS ALREADY DEAD. WEN PEOPLE ARE TIRED, THEY ARE TIRED.

1 Like

Re: 140 IPOB Members Detained For Allegedly Plotting To Overthrow Buhari by yarimo(m): 10:34pm On May 23, 2019
That is very commendable from the security agencies, under the leadership of President BUHARI no time for lawlessness in Nigeria. 38 years in kirikiri prison without option grin grin grin
Re: 140 IPOB Members Detained For Allegedly Plotting To Overthrow Buhari by BuhariAdvocate: 10:39pm On May 23, 2019
150 squads should shoot them all since they are terrorists.
Re: 140 IPOB Members Detained For Allegedly Plotting To Overthrow Buhari by hammer6F: 10:43pm On May 23, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:

U KNOW, U CANNOT TRY THAT RIGHT?

DEM NEVER BORN UR PAPA
Re: 140 IPOB Members Detained For Allegedly Plotting To Overthrow Buhari by Casptainspecial: 10:44pm On May 23, 2019
This is the work of the useless polices
They always look for who to arrest for them to get promotion
Re: 140 IPOB Members Detained For Allegedly Plotting To Overthrow Buhari by Daviddson(m): 10:48pm On May 23, 2019
The charges are completely baseless. Why couldn't they have been charged with belonging to an unlawful group (at least IPOB has been proscribed)?
Re: 140 IPOB Members Detained For Allegedly Plotting To Overthrow Buhari by BuhariAdvocate: 10:49pm On May 23, 2019
What's your problem Nigga stop harboring terrorists Because you maybe be their victim one day.
hammer6F:

U KNOW, U CANNOT TRY THAT RIGHT?

DEM NEVER BORN UR PAPA
Re: 140 IPOB Members Detained For Allegedly Plotting To Overthrow Buhari by Xander85: 10:52pm On May 23, 2019
Abkreizi:
hmmmmmm ....... which way..... i am from the middle belt but i will go with this biafra if the eventually secede..... aboki will be our undoing.........

Hehehehehehehehehe grin grin grin grin
Re: 140 IPOB Members Detained For Allegedly Plotting To Overthrow Buhari by hammer6F: 10:53pm On May 23, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
What's your problem Nigga stop harboring terrorists Because you maybe be their victim one day.

U KNOW U CANNOT DO SHIT RIGHT?

THE MATCH FOR BIAFRA CONTINUES.
Re: 140 IPOB Members Detained For Allegedly Plotting To Overthrow Buhari by BuhariAdvocate: 10:54pm On May 23, 2019
Daviddson:
The charges are completely baseless. Why couldn't they have been charged with belonging to an unlawful group (at least IPOB has been proscribed)?
Because they have been proscribed them that's why court couldn't release them even despite that they are not carry weapon. But they identified them as a terrorist group.
Re: 140 IPOB Members Detained For Allegedly Plotting To Overthrow Buhari by hammer6F: 10:57pm On May 23, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
Because they have been proscribed them that's why court couldn't release them even despite that they are not carry weapon. But they identified them as a terrorist group.

IS THAT WAT U TELL URSELF?

THE BRITISH PUT US IN A COUNTRY WITH MENTALLY UNSTABLE NEGRO?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 140 IPOB Members Detained For Allegedly Plotting To Overthrow Buhari by Xander85: 11:05pm On May 23, 2019
hammer6F:

THE ONLY THING, IGBO HAVE AMOUNTED TO IN NIGERIA IS A DISGRACE.

I FOREVER CURSE THE BRITISH FOR DESTROYING THE GREAT IGBO AND TAKING AWAY OUR PRIDE AND DIGNITY.

I'm with you on this!

This journey Ndigbo have made with 'one Nigeria' has been our biggest mistake....ever! We're in a country surrounded by a jealous, evil and scheming lot who only measure their success based on how they they think they've managed to be better than the Igbos or how successful they've been in holding us down, cheating us and coveting our wealth to better their region and peoples in the name of 'one Nigeria'!

I feel Zik should shoulder a large part of the blame for this misadventure. He knew the kind of people we were getting into bed with but the idealist in him thought any challenges could be overcome and that they'd grow to 'love' and 'trust' us!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 140 IPOB Members Detained For Allegedly Plotting To Overthrow Buhari by hammer6F: 11:09pm On May 23, 2019
Xander85:

I'm with you on this!

This journey Ndigbo have made with 'one Nigeria' has been our biggest mistake....ever! We're in a country surrounded by a jealous, evil and scheming lot who only measure their success based on how they they think they've managed to be better than the Igbos or how successful they've been in holding us down, cheating us and coveting our wealth to better their region and peoples in the name of 'one Nigeria'!

I feel Zik should shoulder a large part of the blame for this misadventure. He knew the kind of people we were getting into bed with but the idealist in him thought all an challenges could be overcome and that they'd grow to 'love' and 'trust' us!

IT IS ABOUT TO GET WORST.

ISLAM IS COMING BRO.

THE FULANI U SEE, NNAMDI KANU WARNED ABOUT.

NOW, OBJ AND EVEN WOLE SOYINKA HAVE SEEN IT.

WE ARE IN VERY SERIOUS TROUBLE AND WE NEED TO LEAVE AND LEAVE NOW.

FORGET LAGOS AND ABUJA, THEY ARE RUBBISH, WE GO HOME AND BUILD OUR NATION.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 140 IPOB Members Detained For Allegedly Plotting To Overthrow Buhari by hammer6F: 11:17pm On May 23, 2019
THIS PEOPLE WILL LEARN THAT REAL IGBO'S ARE FED UP OF NIGERIA.

WE DONT CARE, ALL WE WANT IS BIAFRA.

THIS IS NOT A JOKE AND WE ARE NOT PLAYING.

THIS IS VERY SERIOUS.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 140 IPOB Members Detained For Allegedly Plotting To Overthrow Buhari by BuhariAdvocate: 11:41pm On May 23, 2019
grin you at your father house you're saying this .
hammer6F:

CALL DEM, I DONT CARE.

ARREST US, SHOOT US, KILL US.

THE TRUTH WILL STILL RISE EVERYDAY WITH THE SUN.

OR ARE U NO LONGER A MOD?
Re: 140 IPOB Members Detained For Allegedly Plotting To Overthrow Buhari by hammer6F: 11:43pm On May 23, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:

I AM NOT PLAYING WITH U HERE.

I AM VERY SERIOUS, UNA DON TIRE US.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 140 IPOB Members Detained For Allegedly Plotting To Overthrow Buhari by hammer6F: 11:44pm On May 23, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:

U CRY ABOUT LAGOS, WE OFFER U LAGOS.

U STILL WANT SAME COUNTRY WITH US.

DO U PEOPLE EVER ACTUALLY LISTEN TO URSELF SPEAK?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 140 IPOB Members Detained For Allegedly Plotting To Overthrow Buhari by 9jabull: 12:55am On May 24, 2019
The charges hold no water, even the Magistrate Mrs Chioke's last comment cleared it all "'The only document against them before the court is charge sheet, this look to me like a trumped up charge." I

Its just out of wickedness, to show Buhari that they are working.
How can they take innocent people to a court they know that it has no jurisdiction over the offence they are charging them for.
They will later send them to a high court where they will be granted bail.

Harassment, intimidation, kidnapping & killing can't stop the struggle.
The struggle continues.
#May30sit@home.

2 Likes

Re: 140 IPOB Members Detained For Allegedly Plotting To Overthrow Buhari by dokyOloye: 5:37am On May 24, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
Idiot.
Useless blood drinker like your father buhari

1 Like

Re: 140 IPOB Members Detained For Allegedly Plotting To Overthrow Buhari by Chinashopping84: 5:40am On May 24, 2019
Lol thisnaint news..Even 14million Ipob can't try that.We pay your Chinese suppliers rmb
Re: 140 IPOB Members Detained For Allegedly Plotting To Overthrow Buhari by miteolu(m): 6:34am On May 24, 2019
They said IPOB want to overthrow Buhari
They said Atiku, PDP want to overthrow Buhari
Very soon Nigeria will overthrow Buhari

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Planning To Send Me To Jail, Obasanjo Raises The Alarm / You don't have to Leave Nigeria to earn in Dollars / As Buhari Dumps Embattled FIRS Chairman Fowler, Is Bola Tinubu In Trouble?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.