Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,399 members, 7,822,838 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:47 PM

When I Left England, I Had Only N4,500 On Me But: - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / When I Left England, I Had Only N4,500 On Me But: (972 Views)

Priscilla Okpara Buys N4.5m Honda Crosstour / I Left Rich Guys In Lekki To Marry Broke E-money In Ajegunle – Juliet Okonkwo / Davido: "I Begged Wandecoal And D'prince For A Selfie When I Was 14" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

When I Left England, I Had Only N4,500 On Me But: by Beaf: 9:39pm On Sep 26, 2010
Thursday, 23 September 2010 20:07
[size=14pt]‘When I Left England, I had only N4,500 on me but, ’ [/size]

Asha Gangalii opens up to TADE MAKINDE on his struggles since he arrived Nigeria,  his effort at re-branding himself and his music.

FROM Asha to Gangalii, how has it been?
Asha to Gangali is a lifetime experience. I did not start out as a musician, I was a street boy who decided to change his life from that of  negativity to positivity. Asha started out trying to find his zone as a creative person and his place in the music industry, Gangalii is the ultimate phase to Asha’s music career.

Why the change of name?
The change came due to my transition from being an artistes  trying to find himself, to being an artist that has finally discovered himself. Though, I was making hits back then, I wasn't comfortable with where I was.

With just one popular song, since you came back to Nigeria from,  the United States, would you agree that you have not been a flop?
Dami was my first hit. I can write hits all day, but I wasn’t comfortable with my  style then. People often ask me why I wrote Ninja Bike for Charly Boy, and why I didn’t sing the song myself. I wouldn’t have recorded the song myself because it isn’t my style. Like I said,  I change my name when I discovered the Gangali in my act.

Some say you changed name because you don't want to be labelled a flop as you haven't been able to consolidate on the success of Dammy.
I've definitely not been a flop. You can't say I'm a flop because I haven't released an album in a long time. That I haven't done that is because I've been underground working. Yes, the sacrifice has put a serious dent on my career, and yes, I've heard so many things been said about me, but time will tell.

What are you doing now?
Putting finishing touches to my anticipated album. I am also running a marketing agency, consulting for record labels and artistes on local and international projects.

What's your relationship with Charly Boy?
The ‘Area Fada’ is my mentor and godfather. He always gives me opportunities to work with him on different projects.

Has featuring in his video helped your career in any way?
No, I didn't do the Ninja Bike video for that purpose, it was for a different reason entirely. I believe it will still materialise in the future.

What other purpose would that be?
I was hoping we could use the song and video to brand and position power-biking culture among bikers in the country. The Bikers Convention we organised at that time was part of the strategy, but the Nigerian factor hindered the progress. We decided to leave it alone for, a while. When the Area Fada gives the go ahead to re activate it, we'll do it better.

Is it true you opened shows for LL Cool J while in United States?
Yeah, it's true. I opened shows for LL and Chaka Khan back in my r&b days. I also brought TI to Washington DC for the first time in those days. Can't remember the year now. I was to pay him $5,000, but could only raise $2,500. At the end of the show, we didn't make anything. It was a flop.

Because the show flopped, TI got angry and threatened me. He forgot he was in Washington DC, not Atlanta, his town. Eventually, he behaved himself.

So, where did it go wrong? Why did you return to the country?
For my career. Trying to sing r&b with an African accent wasn't working. Again, I had blown all my money, so I had to start from somewhere. I started as a promoter and I organised a couple of shows with Three Six Mafia, Rockafella, Ruff Ryders and many other guys. If you wanted big money, you had to put in about $400,000 and above. That was too much of a gamble for a promoter of my pedigree because I didn’t have that much cash. My situation was tough, I saw it as an opportunity to come back to Nigeria.

It was believed that you were on top of your game then, why leave certainty for uncertainty?
Like I said, it was the only way out for me then. I had to leave when I did or I’d have got myself into trouble.

Since you got back, what has convinced you that you didn't make the wrong move?
It’s been very challenging for me since I got back, but my struggles have given birth to Gangali.

When did you come back?

Who and what did you leave behind?
Damilola and my brothers

Do you sometimes miss America?
I'm an Ostopolos Solja, a Gangalii at that. I don’t really have the luxury of looking back. I am taking over new territories.

Is it true that you were indeed deported from US?
I was deported to America on my way to London.

When was the last time you were in US?
I have never been back there since I came to Nigeria.

Of all the top artistes you've worked with in US, who still gets in touch with you?
None.

Why are you still single?
Still looking for Salewa.

You don't have a woman back in America?
Nope.

Where are you from?
Ondo town.

How was it growing up?
My brother, it was very tough. It still is. I've been on the street since my dad died in 1990, do the math.

Why did you even leave Nigeria?
I was running away from home to London. When I got to London, I wasn't allowed in by the immigrations, they deported me to America.

Why didn't you travel to England like other Nigerians?
When I left Nigeria, I was heading for London because I had only N5,000 on me. I bought a one-way ticket to London, it was about N4,500  then. When I got there, they detained me for a day and sent me to America the next day. That would be the greatest miracle of all time. Jesus is real, my brother.

That you were deported to America?
Yes, because everybody would give anything to be in America and a guy like me was deported to God's own country.

What does Ostopolos mean?
Ostopolos means someone that has stood the test of time on the streets.

When do you see our music industry catching up with that of America?
Only God can tell, the gap is way too much. We don't even have a genre of music to export. We don't have certified collecting agencies, publishing companies, record companies, etc. Basically, we don’t have the structure. We're still trying to find our bearing, even though we're making lots of money.

http://www.goodluckjonathanfor2011.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=516:‘when-i-left-england-i-had-only-n4500-on-me-but’
Re: When I Left England, I Had Only N4,500 On Me But: by ifyalways(f): 10:07am On Sep 27, 2010
OK,so who is he ?
Re: When I Left England, I Had Only N4,500 On Me But: by favouredjb(f): 10:14am On Oct 02, 2010
A not so popular musician

(1) (Reply)

Obasanjo Eating Garri / Genevieve @ 32 - I Didn’t Know I Was Pregnant For Seven Months / Wizkid,fally Ipupa,mocheddah And Others To Perform At Bigbrother Amplified Final

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.