Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,754 members, 7,827,777 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:54 PM

Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? (2291 Views)

Is Senator Bala Ibn'Nallah's Dress Code To An Event Right? (pics) / Buhari Set Implement Dress Code For Journalists Covering Villa- NigerianTimes.ng / Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by festacson(m): 9:28pm On May 04, 2007
In kano today, islamic dress code have been made compulsory for all pupils including non believers and christians.
What is your say in this outrageous law?

source-yahoo news i think is the US yahoo.
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by Mamajama(m): 9:41pm On May 04, 2007
ARE this people crazy? does anyone knows who won the governorship in kano?

here is the link

This is in line with our resolve to bring about a positive change in the attitude of our students and to strengthen their morality," the governor of the northern state, Ibrahim Shekarau, said late Thursday.

POSITIVE ATTITUDE ? THIS country self

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070504/lf_afp/nigeriaislameducation;_ylt=AnVmSjmZGIoUzLDT4pLc8gxvaA8F
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by TCUBE(m): 5:20am On May 05, 2007
First of all, let me say to yall yariya freaks/, 'dont get me started" , This is the federal republic of nigeria we talking abt.There shouldnt be anything like religious dress codes.Do that within ur own islamic community and dont spread it through the state. We cant continue to isolate ourselves all in the name of religion.I guess thius shows how much dictatorship as destroyed people's mentality. Its a free world baby!
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by Jakumo(m): 5:55am On May 05, 2007
I have a better idea regarding this dress code policy. Why don't all those who prefer to dress in hellishly hot religious masquerade outfits simply relocate to a backward theocratic crap-hole full of similar retards such as Somalia where they can wear whatever the phuck they want without disturbing the civilized world ?
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by SEA(m): 10:46am On May 05, 2007
It sholdn't be made cumpolstry.This is a secular state for heaven shake
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by McKren(m): 2:57pm On May 05, 2007
This will obviously be one of the first challenges of the Yaradua government, I hope somebody openly opposes it so that the issue escalates to a National debate. I am not against having muslim schools in any part of the country where people dress like the Sultan if they so wish. But the governor of a state mandating every school student to dress in a particular way is outrageous and those who call themselves senators and representatives should be ready to debate it in the NASS.

We all celebrated when OBJ suspended Joshua Dariye for tactically travelling abroad each time there was religous conflict in his state. OBJ himself a Christain disciplined Dariye a fellow Christain for engaging in such shameful tacit support for one religous group against the other in his state. Let us see how Yaradua handles this one.
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by atiku4lyfe: 3:32pm On May 05, 2007
as a moslem myself, i see nothing wrong with it. but on a general level, in a dynamic place like kano (although it is marority moslem), it is a bit draconian to do that. i think yaradua (or atiku, if due process is followed and he emerges president) can do little or nothing to stop moslem governors from passing such laws. YAradua himself passed a similar law in katsina!
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by McKren(m): 3:48pm On May 05, 2007
atiku4lyfe:

as a moslem myself, i see nothing wrong with it. but on a general level, in a dynamic place like kano (although it is marority moslem), it is a bit draconian to do that. i think yaradua (or atiku, if due process is followed and he emerges president) can do little or nothing to stop moslem governors from passing such laws. YAradua himself passed a similar law in katsina!

How right will it be if the Governor of a southern state decides that no one is allowed to wear veil in the South. Frankly Shekarua should be ashamed of himself. He should work harder to improve the lives of his people rather than exploiting religion to score cheap political points.

Yaradua talked about Ignorance in his 7-points agenda while talking about poverty. This is the height of ignorance, lets see how he handles it. Dont tell me the President of Nigeria has no say when the fundamental human rights of southerners who live in the North is trampled upon.
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by tlops(m): 5:47pm On May 05, 2007
I guess he is suffering from lack of ideas.
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by otokx(m): 2:38am On May 06, 2007
That is why those place remain largely underdeveloped mentally and socially; Its a pity then the FG will be talking of NYSC.
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by stimulus(m): 12:24pm On May 06, 2007
I don't think the issue is as simplistic as the topic suggests. Question here is: What are the underlying motives of the Kano State Governor and his ilk in the imposition of these codes?

It is more a question of politics than of morality. If a similar enactment is made in the South in flavour of ordering that the veil is NOT worn, I don't suppose that there would be any stir.

How is the wearing of a veil to conform to Islamic tenets ever going to minimize the occurences of sex-related crimes and offences? One need hardly asks of make a wild guess. The thoughts in a man's heart do not automatically go to sleep when his eyes fall on a woman - veils or no veils. No matter how many robes she adorns to cover even the eyelashes, the perpetrators will do what's in the thoughts at the slightest opportunity.

It is pathetic to note that even in the Islamic countries of Afghanistian, Pakistan, and Iran, women are raped and the rape victims are punished by Islamic laws for what is not their fault. No, I'm not making this up; and for anyone interested, they can try to figure this out from articles on the following links:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world/story/0,,1874191,00.html

Excerpt:
For Sharma Zia, another victim in the safe house, it is unlikely the fear of being raped again
will go away. 'I know I can't stay here for ever,' she says. 'My home town isn't that far away,
but I can't return. The men who raped me live close to my parents and even they took the
side of my rapists. My allegations only brought them shame. Sometimes I feel like I only
bring people shame. I wish I could leave, go abroad, but I know that will never happen.'

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/HRW/6e5c7b5b4e7369144f7ac0c41be6798b.htm

Excerpt:
(New York, November 14, 2006) The Pakistani government must honor its pledge to amend
the controversial Hudood Ordinances by removing some of its most discriminatory and dangerous
provisions, Human Rights Watch said today. Human Rights Watch urged the National Assembly
to table the Women's Protection Bill in its current session. The Pakistani government of General
Pervez Musharraf has said the National Assembly will soon consider amendments to the Hudood
Ordinances, which criminalize adultery and non-marital sex, but the government has repeatedly
reneged on such assurances in the past.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/pakistan/mckenna_pakistan.html

Excerpt:
But this is the key problem in Pakistani law: both rape and adultery fall under the crime of Zina,
meaning illicit sexual relations. "This has to stop. Rape is rape and adultery is adultery. They're
not the same thing," Mai says. The Pakistani religious laws regarding rape and adultery are called
the Hudood Ordinances. "The Hudood Ordinance is defined by God and his Prophet. It has
been outlined in the Qur'an and no parliament, no intellectual and no man has the right
to amend it, add to it, or remove anything from it,
" al-Haq says. Religious conservatives wield
a lot of political power in Pakistan. Many women wear veils or cover themselves completely with
a Burka because conservatives insist on a strict interpretation of the Qur'an. Seventy per cent of
Pakistani women live in the rural areas, where the conservative view is dominant. "We are an
Islamic country and these are Islamic laws,
" Bakhtiar says. "So to change something which
has been brought about in the name of religion you can imagine is not easy in Pakistan."

This idea that people should be subjected to Islamic codes of dressing, walking the streets, or whatever else, should be seriously challenged and put to the grave once and for all before it becomes another HUDOOD in Nigeria.
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by doyin13(m): 3:07pm On May 06, 2007
the more i hear this sort of thing, the more i wish these retarded people are no longer associated with the rest of us.

At the same time, i wonder who really is retarded. Their stone throwing asses, or we cowardly southerners for letting them climb over us.
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by doyin13(m): 3:11pm On May 06, 2007
these bastards receive the biggest share of centrally collected oil revenues. bloody theives
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by Nobody: 4:21pm On May 06, 2007
doyin13:

the more i hear this sort of thing, the more i wish these retarded people are no longer associated with the rest of us.

At the same time, i wonder who really is retarded. Their stone throwing asses, or we cowardly southerners for letting them climb over us.

most times ii think we southerners are the retarded ones. We hold the keys to our own future and yet we allow 12th century cattle rearers to dictate to us. How come we are so backward and poor when we have so much resources both human and natural? When are we going to stand up ad tell these morons to move over to Niger and Chad from whence they came?
They bring NOTHING to the economic table and yet demand the lions share while using intolerable laws to make life difficult for us. the same idiots who insist that our daughters wear veils in their states pick the next flight and run to enjoy the nightlife and freedom that Lagos and Portharcourt offers. The hypocrites!
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by naijaway(m): 7:53pm On May 07, 2007
Very very unnecessary but they just want to do what their crazy thoughts tells them. This kind of acts have always kept Nigeria stagnant which is their wish. Each time we talk about cut off marks they 'r the lowest they want to travel anywhere in Nigeria but yet want to customize their own states. Well, i really believe dat Yar adua need to take a stand emphasising on freedom of religion cuz Naija is not middle east and will never be middle east.
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by Reverend(m): 8:01pm On May 07, 2007
Anybody who comes to the UK and starts all the bullshit about religious freedom, especially the muslim women who want to look like a bat or vampire with that rediculous head gear should get their asses back on the next plane from where they came.

Go back to your own liberal Islamic country and try protesting against something that you dislike there instead. You will soon be stoned, hung or even worse.

If you are in the UK then live like we do or get your ass back to the third world country from where you appeared.

For those that come to the UK and assimilate with us, then peace and welcome.

For the rest , FU*K OFF
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by Jakumo(m): 1:41am On May 08, 2007
And I'll raise a toast to that. Love the civilized West and its enlightened liberal mores, or leave it and head back to the dark age of your choice.
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by DisGuy: 3:59pm On May 08, 2007
This will obviously be one of the first challenges of the Yaradua government, I hope somebody openly opposes it so that the issue escalates to a National debate. I am not against having muslim schools in any part of the country where people dress like the Sultan if they so wish. But the governor of a state mandating every school student to dress in a particular way is outrageous and those

well said, it seems the senators are just after their allowance and positions as long as their own district is not in the firing line they forget their 'own people' in these states. It will probably take the death of a relative of one of the southern senators to spark a national debate.

Obj is still there, he is not doing anything about this really, it is a good thing they implemented the laws in their states when the serving president is a christain.

wink
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by Mariory(m): 4:43pm On May 08, 2007
Jakumo:

And I'll raise a toast to that. Love the civilized West and its enlightened liberal mores, or leave it and head back to the dark age of your choice.

Amen!
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by Mamajama(m): 5:56pm On May 08, 2007
This is not a FEDERAL MATTER, this is a local state government matter and the residents of this area should be calling their senators and councilmen to appeal this disgusting act. We practice a democratic government and not totalitarian. This is one of the reasons why people are so disgusted with the Muslim nations.
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by Afam(m): 6:28pm On May 08, 2007
MAMAJAMA:

This is not a FEDERAL MATTER, this is a local state government matter and the residents of this area should be calling their senators and councilmen to appeal this disgusting act. We practice a democratic government and not totalitarian. This is one of the reasons why people are so disgusted with the Muslim nations.

Yes, we practice democracy so if the state house of assembly passes a law supporting this it becomes law (if it has not become one already). If their senators agree with the directive will you allow the matter to rest considering the fact that those elected to represent them are in agreement with the law?

I do not agree that people are disgusted with muslim nations but I will agree that christain fanatics and fundamentalists are.

People (including christains) go to Dubai everyday to buy stuff, the West is ready to kill to do business with Saudi Arabia as regards crude oil, the West is ready to go to war (remember Iraq) to benefit from Iraqi wealth.

I believe that those who abuse the muslim nations on one hand and are ready to do business with them for their selfish reasons are the ones that are hypocrites.
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by Mamajama(m): 6:36pm On May 08, 2007
This has nothing to do with business, this is about morality and freedom of speech, expression and association. If this law or ordinance does pass. the next thing they will go after will be speech, everyone in the state of KANO will be compelled to learn ARABIC. When will the law makers start doing their job and standing against this kind of secluded barbaric action?
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by Afam(m): 6:45pm On May 08, 2007
What law makers are you talking about? The law makers that support the law or the law makers of other states?

Are you saying you are ready to wine and dine with someone you despise as long as you benefit from the person one way or the other?
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by McKren(m): 6:53pm On May 08, 2007
@Mamajama

I am glad to inform you that the constitution of the Federal republic of Nigeria strengthens your position on this.

View the conversation in the following thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-52087.32.html

No one says Sharia should not be practised by those who want it, it already exists and is law. But trying to enforce it beyond its jurisdictions is illegal and will require the Constitution re-written by the NASS to do that.

Non-Muslims are not binded by the Sharia law.
If Notherners and Muslims are civilised they should learn to arrest and prosecute whoever they think is flouting sharia before a Sharia court of law rather than usurping the duties of the court by implementing it themselves on the streets. Attacking or bullying people to accept a strange religion is outdated.

Guess what, here comes the begining of the end to this Sharia nonsense in Nigeria because when people kill people their compatriots in the name of Sharia they claim they are thugs. Now a recognised state government is bullying non-muslims to adhere to sharia, I think we have who to hold responsible here.
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by McKren(m): 7:03pm On May 08, 2007
If lawmaker don't want to debate it, a proprietor or parent in Nigeria should take the bull by the horn and drag Kano State government to an Abuja High court and publicise to the world including the BBC. By the time it becomes a national embarrasment lets see how it will not be a national debate.

It is illegal for Shekarua to bully non-muslims to adhere to muslim dress codes, at least it is in section 262 of the constitution states clearly that sharia is only applicable to muslims.
It is even illegal for any state to have a state religion it is in section 10 of the constitution. People are confusing the recognition of Sharia law by state courts and state courts of appeal and having a state religion. That the sharia law will be used by sharia courts to address issues where both parties consent or subscribe to the law does not translate to the constitution permiting a state religion.

Shekarua is advocating a state religion and that is Illegal. It is even more illegal that he is compelling people who do not subscribe to that religion to adhere to it.
sections 41 and 42 gives every Nigerian the right to live in any part of the country practising his own religion. It also makes it illegal for anybody to deprive him of rights he would have benefited from other parts of the country because of his birth.
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by Mamajama(m): 7:04pm On May 08, 2007
I wonder how educated the governor of this state is, How repulsive to try and enforced such an idiotic law on the people of the state.  are there no more programes the governor can embark on to build discipline in the state? provide healthy school and hospitals?  why is the dress code even an issue?  it looks like all the law makers in KANO are not exposed to the modern world at all,  We can respect what you do with your life and your family but when been enforced on the people then it becomes an issue that should be address.
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by DisGuy: 11:44pm On May 08, 2007
I think the nigerian constitution is still a joke! there are too many grey areas.

I do not fully understand the idea of federalism but if it involves giving more powers to regions/states then this is one of its disadvantages; there'll be situations whereby governors in the name of democracy (the majority right?) implement laws to make political statements to the detriments of the 'others'.
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by Nobody: 12:34am On May 09, 2007
Dis Guy:

I think the nigerian constitution is still a joke! there are too many grey areas.

I do not fully understand the idea of federalism but if it involves giving more powers to regions/states then this is one of its disadvantages; there'll be situations whereby governors in the name of democracy (the majority right?) implement laws to make political statements to the detriments of the 'others'.

if you are thinking that what Nigeria presently has is federalism then you are sadly mistaken. If we were implementing a TRUE federal system of government we wouldnt be here arguing about sharia.
The reason why governors in Nigeria have time to haggle over sharia and veils is because they dont have to worry about finance. Every month they get their federal allocation whether they spend 29 days in the month sleeping or not. The federal govt is in charge of electricity, schools, water, immigration, police, the economy e.t.c. what else does a governor have to do besides promulgating retrogressive laws and siphoning funds to private bank accounts.

If we had fiscal federalism, we could care less about whether Zamfara wants to turn itself into a monument to 12th century arabia, 99.9% of the economy revolves around the south, what would i be doing in Kano when Lagos and Bayelsa make in a month more than Kebbi state can dream of generating in 200yrs? We wouldnt have JAMB that forces southern schools to take cattle rearers ahead of more qualified southerners, we wont be wrangling over the presidency, there would be no money to go and steal there! We wont be thinking of sharia courts, Shekarau would have no money to pay the imams, well unless he can start planting groundnuts!
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by McKren(m): 9:07am On May 09, 2007
Talking about fedralism, see below what my dictionary says about it

federalism

A system of government in which power is divided between a national (federal) government and various regional governments. As defined by the United States Constitution, federalism is a fundamental aspect of American government, whereby the states are not merely regional representatives of the federal government, but are granted independent powers and responsibilities. With their own legislative branch, executive branch, and judicial branch, states are empowered to pass, enforce, and interpret laws, provided they do not violate the Constitution. This arrangement not only allows state governments to respond directly to the interests of their local populations, but also serves to check the power of the federal government. Whereas the federal government determines foreign policy, with exclusive power to make treaties, declare war, and control imports and exports, the states have exclusive power to ratify the Constitution. Most governmental responsibilities, however, are shared by state and federal governments: both levels are involved in such public policy issues as taxation, business regulation, environmental protection, and civil rights.

Note: The precise extent of state and federal responsibility has always been controversial. Republican administrations, for example, have tended to grant more authority to the states, thereby encouraging political and economic freedom but discouraging comprehensive social welfare. Until the middle of the twentieth century, the Supreme Court left the interpretation of many civil rights guarantees to the states, resulting in widespread discrimination against minorities.

The statements in bold tells a lot about our situation. "provided they do not violate the Constitution" . Shekarua and the Kano state legislature while they have all the rights to make state laws are on this occasion violating sections 10, 262, 41 and 42 of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. It is also worthy to note section 1 of the constitution which talks about the supremacy of our constitution and any law inconsistent with this constitution being void.

, "Until the middle of the twentieth century, the Supreme Court left the interpretation of many civil rights guarantees to the states, resulting in widespread discrimination against minorities"  that quote tells you that those who have perfect democracies once experienced these and changed it. So this is the necessary growth our democracy has to go through.

Yes there are flaws in the constitution, but am very sure this is not one of those flaws. We are simply on this occasion not adhering to the constitution.

Dont get me wrong, I am not preaching hate against Muslims but we can only succeed as one Nation when we understand and appreciate the rights of fellow Nigerians no matter their ethnic group or religion.
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by angel101(f): 2:24pm On May 09, 2007
Excellently put McKren. until such a time as we respect each other and our fundamental human rights in Nigeria, there would always be situations like this where politicians mess with the electorate to suit their selfish interests.
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by DisGuy: 3:14pm On May 09, 2007
well put

Is this news not 'juicy' enough for Nigerian journalists or the policy has little or no meaning to the law makers no cash involved. perhaps they are waiting for someone to die before they react  undecided
Re: Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? by naijaway(m): 8:59pm On May 09, 2007
The Nigerian religious supreme leaders and i don't mean alot of leaders i mean one from christianity and one from moslems need to address all this issues and not stay in their palaces chilling with visitors and co while someone fanning them and they are adjusting their agbada.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lets Face It : Nigeria Is Moving At The Pace The Hausa Fulani Want ! / Patrick Obahiagbon On Ghadaffi's Death / Regional Integration Will Not Solve Our Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.