Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,772 members, 7,817,144 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:03 AM

Threat Of Eviction: Advice Needed - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Threat Of Eviction: Advice Needed (324 Views)

Landlady Breaks Into Tenant's Door To Force Eviction (pics, Video) / Exploitation, Eviction Threat ‘killing’ Residents Of A Lagos Island / The Lord’s Chosen Building Sealed In Enugu Over Building Collapse Threat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Threat Of Eviction: Advice Needed by castrokins(m): 2:31am On May 25, 2019
I have been a tenant for the past 4 years at a property and just a month into the 5th year. Before the end of my 4th-year tenancy, I made a deposit of more than half of my annual rent, say 75%. But the property owner is threatening me with notice to quit just the month after the end of my 4th-year tenancy. Note that my 4th-year rent expired in April 2019, the deposit I made is effective from May 2019 and the notice came in yesterday. What do you advise? Do I take my deposit and quit? In the threat notice, it is claimed I am a tenant at will and I have discovered a tenant at will is one who's holding on to a property after the expiration of rent. Given that I made part-payment to renew and it was accepted, is it right for the owner to claim I am a tenant at will??

Lawyers In The House, Please Advice
Re: Threat Of Eviction: Advice Needed by castrokins(m): 2:39am On May 25, 2019
lawyer
Lalasticlacla

Please Help
Re: Threat Of Eviction: Advice Needed by bixton(m): 3:32am On May 25, 2019
Have you been having quarrels with your landlord/caretaker?

Now If there's no pre-notice as to your eviction from the property owner, then you stand a good chance to make a case.
Did you discuss such payment pattern with the property owner before making the payment or have you been making payments like that previously?

Giving that you've made such payment and the property owner wants you to leave the property kindly ask for your full refund and move on. The time one would put to waste to argue with a property owner should be put to find a better apartment to relocate to.

1 Like

Re: Threat Of Eviction: Advice Needed by castrokins(m): 3:46am On May 25, 2019
Thank You For Your Response And Advise.

The Property Owner Is Away, And So The Wife Is Making Moves To Take Over The Property. I Have Been Making Payments Like This Previously. The Difference Is That After I Made The Payment In September 2018 And On/About The Ending Of March 2019, She Came With Another Agent/Notice That She's Changing From The Lawfirm We'd Been Paying Through. So After She Introduced The New Guy, I Went To Inform Her That I Had Already Made Part-Payment To Them Through The Husband's Nominated Attorney. I Also Immediately, Informed The Attorney I Paid To And He Promised To Sort It Out, That They Were Still Representing The Man.

The Question Is, The Payment I Made (Though In Part) Took Effect This Month, He Notice From Her Attorney To Me Yesterday Duly Acknowledge That I Have Paid But Still Went Ahead To Insinuate In The Notice That I Am A Tenant At Will (Tenant Holding Onto A Property After Expiration Of Rent)?

bixton:
Have you been having quarrels with your landlord/caretaker?

Now If there's no pre-notice as to your eviction from the property owner, then you stand a good chance to make a case.
Did you discuss such payment pattern with the property owner before making the payment or have you been making payments like that previously?

Giving that you've made such payment and the property owner wants you to leave the property kindly ask for your full refund and move on. The time one would put to waste to argue with a property owner should be put to find a better apartment to relocate to.
Re: Threat Of Eviction: Advice Needed by bixton(m): 11:37pm On May 26, 2019
castrokins:
Thank You For Your Response And Advise.

The Property Owner Is Away, And So The Wife Is Making Moves To Take Over The Property. I Have Been Making Payments Like This Previously. The Difference Is That After I Made The Payment In September 2018 And On/About The Ending Of March 2019, She Came With Another Agent/Notice That She's Changing From The Lawfirm We'd Been Paying Through. So After She Introduced The New Guy, I Went To Inform Her That I Had Already Made Part-Payment To Them Through The Husband's Nominated Attorney. I Also Immediately, Informed The Attorney I Paid To And He Promised To Sort It Out, That They Were Still Representing The Man.

The Question Is, The Payment I Made (Though In Part) Took Effect This Month, He Notice From Her Attorney To Me Yesterday Duly Acknowledge That I Have Paid But Still Went Ahead To Insinuate In The Notice That I Am A Tenant At Will (Tenant Holding Onto A Property After Expiration Of Rent)?

Guess you have your receipt of part payment handy.
Probably the lady is trying to play a fast one on her husband or his property lawyers due to unresolved issues.
If you have the time, kindly write to the property lawyers via your lawyer inquiring if they have resolved with the lady. And that you'll sue for damages, both the property lawyers and lady should any harm come to you or your properties.
Apply wisdom.
Re: Threat Of Eviction: Advice Needed by castrokins(m): 9:26am On May 27, 2019
Thank you, sir.

bixton:

Guess you have your receipt of part payment handy.
Probably the lady is trying to play a fast one on her husband or his property lawyers due to unresolved issues.
If you have the time, kindly write to the property lawyers via your lawyer inquiring if they have resolved with the lady. And that you'll sue for damages, both the property lawyers and lady should any harm come to you or your properties.
Apply wisdom.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

2 Shop To Let At Sanni Balogun New Oko Oba Close To Miyakay Garden Lagos 5k / Land For Sale In Ikorodu Good Location, Ikorodu Lagos State / Top Reasons To Purchase PVC Plantation Shutters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.