Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,560 members, 7,827,089 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:54 AM

Planning On Quitting And Going Freelance - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Planning On Quitting And Going Freelance (1489 Views)

This Is Why Your Wordpress Site Is Crashing And Going Offline / Are You Planning On Starting A Blog Or You Alread Have One? / I Am Quitting Website Development Until Further Notice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Planning On Quitting And Going Freelance by Nobody: 12:49pm On Sep 27, 2010
sorry for this thread but am quite at a dilemma i work at an IT Company but since i started till to this present date making 6months i haven't been paid my salary,and frankly i have been getting freelance works that been hindered due to my work i am on the verge of quitting and doing freelance and focus on my Aptech class i really need your advice i don't plan to stay another month and be owed a lot of money, also am also anxious as to if i leave if i will be paid my arrears, need your honest and candid advice,
Re: Planning On Quitting And Going Freelance by DualCore1: 1:11pm On Sep 27, 2010
Asin you havnt been paid for 6 months? What have you been surviving on?

Bro there are the good and the bad sides of Freelancing. I havnt been employed in a web dev coy so I dont really know what the working conditions are like. 3 years back, I quit my job as a Marine Tech and IT supervisor (2 very different job descriptions under one pay check). Well I quit cuz Marine life wasnt my thing and no matter the years I spent in it, I never liked the idea of offshore/onshore runs week in, week out.

Truth is, when I first quit cash flow wasnt as good as it used to be. So I got another job still as a Marine tech but this time a "freelance" one. Meaning I only get to go to the field when I am needed and that's like once or twice a month. Now that has given me time to face all my hobbies (web dev, hosting e.t.c) and do them well. When you are under a boss you never have time for yourself and you always have to do things to please the oga. When you are on your own, you have the time to do what you want, when you want and just how you want. But bear in mind that with all this freedom comes a price to pay. Your cashflow as a freelancer is directly proportional to your personal effort. There's no salary, there's no fixed income. This month fit be 20 mill in income (amen), next month fit be 200k(god forbid). Its an up and down thing.

From personal experience i think you should stay there until you can get your 6months pay out, then draw up a plan as a freelancer before you delve into it.

One more thing: Be sure to marry a babe that works, not one that does biz like you. Its good to have one member of the family with a fixed monthly income.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Planning On Quitting And Going Freelance by TechPros(m): 2:56am On Sep 29, 2010
Dual Core:

One more thing: Be sure to marry a babe that works, not one that does biz like you. Its good to have one member of the family with a fixed monthly income.
@ lol. i feel u on that
Re: Planning On Quitting And Going Freelance by drone99(m): 7:05am On Sep 29, 2010
The streets are not smiling; its better you balance between you work place and hustle.
Re: Planning On Quitting And Going Freelance by Nobody: 8:01am On Sep 29, 2010
Thanks Guys but i have decided to Leave the Place,I don't think the Guy intended to pay but for sure i will collect what is owed to me; As for the Freelance ave seen another Company to be a contract worker i know it wont be easy but its a step i should take thanks a lot for the advice.
Re: Planning On Quitting And Going Freelance by Nobody: 6:28pm On Sep 29, 2010
This is serious,

Honestly, this IT, mostly Web business and programming is a serious Irony. The best guys never get well paid and treated. People wey no sabi code one line of HTML like Dual Core na them dey enjoy pass lipsrsealed

Now Bros. In my honest opinion leave them, though i know like Dual said, the first month possible years may not be funny. If you get mama and papa wey dey Lagos, [s]In your case i think they leave in Anambra[/s] go meet them dey chop in them house, and dey code with people like Rojad and Luzoma, Even if na 20k site, as far as the standard na bam, no issues!

One day, clients will appreciate your gift!

Bottomline: Leave and start your own thing. In just 3 Months i honestly have made over 400k. From developing Crappy Sites. But when i started, Level Seven, Web Development Technologies, and many others wanted to pay me peanut.
Re: Planning On Quitting And Going Freelance by Nobody: 6:35pm On Sep 29, 2010
@Donpuzo thanks alot Jare the annoying part is there way many Projects i threw in Suspension because of this Work but now i think it's high time i focus on some personal stuff. i believe something will come up as long as i keep focused and positive,
Re: Planning On Quitting And Going Freelance by lojik(m): 10:18pm On Sep 29, 2010
My last employer was paying me poorly so resigned in may this year. I faced a lot of opposition from people because they felt i had a good job and wasted it but here i am now, i have my own office and i'm making my former annual salary in two to three months of consulting and freelancing.

If u feel u can survive the rough business terrain, go for it but if u have doubts, then don't risk it.

It all depends on you as Henry Ford says: Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right.
Re: Planning On Quitting And Going Freelance by quadrillio(m): 12:40pm On Sep 30, 2010
mine was working on a 1.4m project only to be paid 35k (salary for d month in question), and my salary was increase from 10 to 15k. I resigned and went solo. now I make that in less than a week. my people almost chop off my head for house, telling me all sorts. If your heart is not there again just leave simple. God is your strength.

- SAFE.
Re: Planning On Quitting And Going Freelance by Nobody: 12:52pm On Sep 30, 2010
I too had similar problems - that was why i never went into working full time, and have been freelancing all this time. but now, even that freelancing has to go.
Re: Planning On Quitting And Going Freelance by yawatide(f): 2:55pm On Sep 30, 2010
hmmm,

DHTML (allegedly) switching to programming, pc_guru thinking of going freelance. Hmmm. Hmmmm.
Re: Planning On Quitting And Going Freelance by mcfranc(m): 4:44pm On Sep 30, 2010
The fear of what will become of us when we make CHANGES has kept many of us stagnant. I once got to a crossroad where i have to decide whether to work for a coy or become my own boss. I went for the latter. Starting out was not rosy at all but today i am far [i]far [/i]better off.

If your mind is off the place, take your leave for good. Hopefully, in fews months to come you will be glad you did.
Re: Planning On Quitting And Going Freelance by Nobody: 4:02am On Oct 01, 2010
yawa-ti-de:

hmmm,

DHTML (allegedly) switching to programming, pc_guru thinking of going freelance. Hmmm. Hmmmm.
Your language always trip me up seriously. Allegedly indeed - sounds like u dont believe half of it
Re: Planning On Quitting And Going Freelance by Nobody: 7:35am On Oct 01, 2010
@yawatide sorry but its true,
Re: Planning On Quitting And Going Freelance by meobizy(f): 8:15am On Mar 08, 2020
What's the update?
Re: Planning On Quitting And Going Freelance by sKeetz(m): 10:00am On Sep 29, 2020
Was this a success story? @pcguru1
Re: Planning On Quitting And Going Freelance by Nobody: 10:32am On Sep 29, 2020
sKeetz:
Was this a success story? @pcguru1

Well somewhat I work for Andela, and also do freelance from home. It really pays but having your business and building something pays much more. So yes it does, but it did after amassing experience and networking with people.
Re: Planning On Quitting And Going Freelance by glaber: 2:45pm On Sep 29, 2020
pcguru1:

Well somewhat I work for Andela, and also do freelance from home. It really pays but having your business and building something pays much more. So yes it does, but it did after amassing experience and networking with people.
I'm happy for how things eventually turned out for you. But please, what do you mean by "building something"?
Re: Planning On Quitting And Going Freelance by Nobody: 3:42pm On Sep 29, 2020
glaber:
I'm happy for how things eventually turned out for you. But please, what do you mean by "building something"?

A product, an idea just something that is useful and profitable. There are so many ideas. Check envato market you will see many devs who don't work for people but themselves.
Re: Planning On Quitting And Going Freelance by Nobody: 3:48pm On Sep 29, 2020
pcguru1:

A product, an idea just something that is useful and profitable. There are so many ideas. Check envato market you will see many devs who don't work for people but themselves.
good afternoon sir. I've been mentioning for some time now and you haven't been answering. My intention is not to ask for financial assistance or anything of that sort. I just need to talk.
Re: Planning On Quitting And Going Freelance by Nobody: 4:51pm On Sep 29, 2020
Heartlessbanker:
good afternoon sir. I've been mentioning for some time now and you haven't been answering. My intention is not to ask for financial assistance or anything of that sort. I just need to talk.

Reply in email, sorry must have been busy
Re: Planning On Quitting And Going Freelance by 50power: 5:40pm On Sep 29, 2020
If you need your national ID card for online transactions and you have only the identification number slip, see the solution here https://www.nairakobo.com.ng/2020/06/12/design-and-print-your-nigerian-national-identity-card-on-plastic/

(1) (Reply)

Best Web Design In Akure , Lagos, Nigeria / Airtel Free 212mb For Whatsapp - F.b.t(free Browsing Cheat) / MTN BIS Settings For Netify Vpn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.