Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,473 members, 7,819,721 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. (8314 Views)

Notable signatures of Lugard, Zik, Awolowo, Ahmadu Bello, Gani, Ojukwu & others / Kogi: APC Is History, My Name Is Daniel, I Befriend & Subdue Lions- Dino Melaye / Never Insult Elders, A Case Study Of Great Zik And Dr Chuba Okadigbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by currentperson: 10:38am On May 27, 2019
no problem
Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by 99100(m): 10:47am On May 27, 2019
I can't believe I read this piece to the last word.
Nice writeup,very insightful and prevalent not only in Nsukka but Igbo land in general.Born in Lagos,lived in Kaduna for more than a decade but now resides in my father land (Alaigbo) , I will tell u is only in my land that a son/daughter from a neighboring senatorial district within the same state is not qualified to be a senator in another senatorial district within the same state. It baffles me.
@author, Is 'stu.pid' the only term u can use to sarcastically describe the great Zik? U can do better.

3 Likes

Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by Guestlander: 10:53am On May 27, 2019
jesmond3945:
Op you are one of the reason Nigeria is backward, when I mean backward, very backward.

I can proudly say we Yoruba does not think this way and I pray it remains that way.
When we say some people are too clannish this is exactly what we meant.

1 Like

Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by MorufuAtanda: 10:54am On May 27, 2019
kelib:
The problem of Igbo is Igbo ZIK sited a university in nsuka n not Onitsha now makes him spupid. what if he had sited it in IMO or ebonyi he would have been term mad. Una get problem cos if u guys hate yourselves this way, then I pity other tribes that have dealing with u guys

my dear Yoruba Muslim brother, Yoruba Muslim hate Yoruba Christians, Alafin Vs Ooni, Olubadan Vs Oluwo, Ijebu Vs other yorubas happen everyday. But we must dig our skulls into the ground and pretend we Yoruba love ourselves while Igbos hate themselves. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by Nobody: 11:00am On May 27, 2019
Westtimeline:
[s][/s]This osu hermaphrodite again. Ife and modakeke has been a thing of the past for long. How does personal beefing between two kings relate to being Muslim or Christian. Are you this daft in osuland?

Have you solved the issue between Anambra and ebonyi?

What about the priest issue in mbise that a man from anambra can't lead.

What of community clash that took lifes and properties in enugu.

What about the recent fight between community in ebonyi that resulted in burning of lifes and properties

What about those that used left hand to point to Bianca's Father's house in enugu, telling her to go back and contest in her state.

What about the discrimination of OSU people that forbid freeborn from marrying them.

Why are you living in denial.

Firstly, neglecting the insult, I will say u replied her very well.
When someone leaves a subject matter to talk rubbish I think ur response is right.

But at same u bad student of history coz ur allegations lack substance, is only based on hearsay and what I read on paper.
Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by Nobody: 11:04am On May 27, 2019
Guestlander:

I can proudly say we Yoruba does not think this way and I pray it remains that way.
When we say some people are clannish this is exactly what we meant.

Lol I don't need to remind u just that I always focus on subject matter I encounters, I don't like deviating.
Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by jesmond3945: 11:06am On May 27, 2019
Osagyefo98:

No wonder they say if u want to hide something from an African put it on paper.
Did u read the write up at all this boy?

What class are u?
your write up is total rubbish. Only a fool would read it.
Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by Nobody: 11:08am On May 27, 2019
jesmond3945:
your write up is total rubbish. Only a fool would read it.

What class are u?
Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by Westtimeline: 11:10am On May 27, 2019
Osagyefo98:

Firstly, neglecting the insult, I will say u replied her very well.
When someone leaves a subject matter to talk rubbish I think ur response is right.

But at same u bad student of history coz ur allegations lack substance, is only based on hearsay and what I read on paper.
So, which one is not hearsay or read on paper in what she said. Can you point out the lies in what I said?
Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by jesmond3945: 11:10am On May 27, 2019
Osagyefo98:

What class are u?
the class you dropped when the great zik was being discussed by the history teacher.
Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by Nobody: 11:13am On May 27, 2019
jesmond3945:
the class you dropped when the great zik was being discussed by the history teacher.

Mental instability and myopism is a bad thing. Rid yourself of such if there exist.

Stop exhibiting crass Iberiberism.
Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by BUKGREAT: 11:24am On May 27, 2019
The OP is very much right. Zik is an abandoned stupid.
Anambra people are too wicked and greedy. In Unizik where there are many professors from difference states in Igbo land but only elect their Anambra brothers as the VC. Same with federal poly Oko and now spreading the traits to UNN. Enugu people are calm and peace loving and that should not be a reason to treat indigenous Nsukka roughly. UNN is no longer what it used to be since Anambra people desperately seek favour from the governing council of the school.

2 Likes

Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by jesmond3945: 11:24am On May 27, 2019
Osagyefo98:

Mental instability and myopism is a bad thing. Rid yourself of such if there exist.

Stop exhibiting crass Iberiberism.
you just descibed yourself much.

1 Like

Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by Guestlander: 11:32am On May 27, 2019
And these people want their own country? Na wha o. Every citizen will walk around with a machete in his pocket.

2 Likes

Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by Kahujadekadura: 11:37am On May 27, 2019
valentineuwakwe:
so you are advocating an indigene becomes the VC....must it be so....if other indigene in the various federal schools across the country starts advocating for this rubbish, how would we look like in the country..pls stop this thread.it makes no sense
Mr man go and finish dat writeup bf rendering baseless assertion here. D man made an important point and his idea is very far from ur assertion.
Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by Kahujadekadura: 11:43am On May 27, 2019
BUKGREAT:
Anambra people are too wicked and greedy. In Unizik where there are many professors from difference states in Igbo land but only elect their Anambra brothers as the VC. Same with federal poly Oko and now spreading the traits to UNN. Enugu people are calm and peace loving and that should not be a reason to treat indigenous Nsukka roughly. UNN is no longer what it used to be since Anambra people desperately seek favour from the governing council of the school.
I don't think dat u finish reading dis article becos ur idea and dat of d writer are not d same. Even d writer sited a university in Anambra dat an Nsukka man was VC
Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by Nobody: 11:43am On May 27, 2019
jesmond3945:
you just descibed yourself much.

Go get education.
Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by Kahujadekadura: 11:45am On May 27, 2019
Guestlander:
And these people want their own country? Na wha o. Everything citizen will have a machete in his pocket.
Democrat fighting Republican make America not qualified to HV a country.
Brexit fighting non brexit group makes Britain not qualified for a country.
Mr man, not only dat ur comment contradict d idea of d writer but also ur assertion makes u look childish and unintelligent

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by fergie001: 11:47am On May 27, 2019
Don't mind the Nsukka people jare....

But the writer is as confused as the Nsukka people...

Zik was never stupid citing it there,not at all....

Thank you for the reference of Umudike where the fmr VC from Nsukka contested against 2 erudite Umudike-born Professors and won. Nobody killed anybody.

The present one is from Afikpo...how many people died?

Not until recently, we had the first Ife man to be VC of OAU...

VCs that have been in charge of UI,how many have been from Oyo state or even IBADAN?

The Nsukka people should take back seat biko....

3 Likes

Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by fergie001: 11:49am On May 27, 2019
BUKGREAT:

Hogwash...

But Nsukka people can be VC of other Federal Universities abi?

1 Like

Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by FRESHG(m): 12:04pm On May 27, 2019
fergie001:

Hogwash...

But Nsukka people can be VC of other Federal Universities abi?
THE STEWPEED OP IS A YORUBA MUSLIM

2 Likes

Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by pipeliner: 12:06pm On May 27, 2019
98% of the posters did not read or read it without understanding. The post is not about Zik as such. It is satire on the downside of using tribe as a basis for decision making and the "this is my land" syndrome.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by pipeliner: 12:08pm On May 27, 2019
N
Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by Nobody: 12:11pm On May 27, 2019
pipeliner:
98% of the posters did not read or read it without understanding. The post is not about Zik as such. It is satire on the downside of using tribe as a basis for decision making and the "this is my land" syndrome.

Example FRESHG

He just commented above you, a typical example.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by pipeliner: 12:13pm On May 27, 2019
Osagyefo98:

Example FRESHG

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by Guestlander: 12:15pm On May 27, 2019
Kahujadekadura:
Democrat fighting Republican make America not qualified to HV a country.
Brexit fighting non brexit group makes Britain not qualified for a country.
Mr man, not only dat ur comment contradict d idea of d writer but also ur assertion makes u look childish and unintelligent

How is this like a fight between two political parties? How is this like Brexit?
You lack logic.
Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by FRESHG(m): 12:17pm On May 27, 2019
Osagyefo98:

Example FRESHG

WHAT IS REALLY WRONG WITH YOU EWEDURIANS YOU SHOULD FIND ANOTHER ALTERNATIVE BECAUSE YOUR DIVIDE AND RULE TACTICS IS NO LONGER WORKING

CC CYYNTHIAKISS
Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by googi: 12:19pm On May 27, 2019
Azikiwe has his faults like anyone else but using Nsukka as one of them because you did not get a position is the height of selfishness that is pervasive in Nigeria today.

When I read attacks on Great Zik of Africa like from this petty guy, I shake my head. I have criticized Zik on different topic too but to criticize him out of personal loss of a position is another hit below the belt.

Others would praise Zik for putting Nsukka on the world map. If every politician sought little towns and villages for development instead of their own place of birth (as someone pointed out) Nigeria could have reached greater heights.

In the 80s Nigeria kicked out Ghanaians claiming they were prostitutes and members of armed robbers. Look at us today.

Nnamdi Azikiwe was the leader that cried out loud against Nigeria or any African country that would dare kick out the children of Nkrumah.

Respect Sir forever.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by Arda1000(m): 12:23pm On May 27, 2019
Osagyefo98:
THE GREAT ZIK DIDN'T LEARN WELL FROM HISTORY. MY BROTHER IS NOW THE VICE CHANCELLOR OF UNN!
By Ikem Okuhu.

His Excellency, the Rt Hon. Dr Benjamin Nnamdi Azikiwe, one of the most illustrious sons of Nigeria, was indeed didn't learn well from history . With all the wisdom he deployed to steer our country Nigeria from colonial rule to independence in 1960, Zik did many foolish things and I think my people have made up their minds to tell him so, even as he rests in his grave.

Don’t get me wrong!

If you wish, do!

I really do not care. But I don’t know how else to interpret the caustic, obtuse rhetoric emanating from a lot of my otherwise educated, enlightened and well-travelled brothers and sisters since it was announced that, contrary to wide expectations and wild hopes, a professor of Nsukka extraction was not announced as Vice Chancellor of the University of Nigeria Nsukka. And there is no other way to sum these interpretation of the outcome of the VC-ship contest than to conclude our people have all along thought Zik was stupid to have abandoned his native Onitsha to site this Great University in Nsukka.

I am an Nsukka man. I left the area for the first time in my early 20s after graduating from the University of Nigeria Nsukka. So from every angle you might look at it, I am strongly connected to this Nigeria’s foremost institution of higher learning. I want the best for my people. I want the best for the University of Nigeria and it was for this reason that I joined forces with former students of the Department of Mass Communication of this University in a bid to build a befitting, world-class structure for the department that formed all of us.
But I cannot do this at the expense of the larger need to foster oneness and remaining sensitive to the larger environment in which we all live and operate.

Expectations was high in the run-up to the VC election process and it all seemed that the magic wand that’d reverse the infrastructure decay and regression in the quality of graduates turnd out from the school can only happen with an Nsukka VC on the saddle. You don’t visit the Social Media without being inundated with conversations around this great hope. It was so bad that many lifted their rhetoric to predictions and then fact. The night before the announcement of the new VC, I saw many posts already celebrating one of the contestants who ended up not even making the top three, with people capturing their hopes as BREAKING NEWS.

What this did was morph what was mere dreams of many people into morbid entitlement mindset, the consequence of which was frustration, hate and unpardonable clannish thinking even by very highly respectable ones, many of whom rose to high positions on the back of merit and broadmindedness of people not from their place of origin.

Zik was stupid. How could he not have seen that the day would come when the people in whose land he sited what was once Africa’s greatest university would one day begin to express hate that someone from his own side of same Igbo land was made a Vice Chancellor at a time the “land owners” had desired same position. Zik never learned from history. Same fate befell him when he elected to contest the parliamentary position in the south west, thinking we were all one Nigeria, only to have the rug pulled from under him by defecting members of his political party, the NCNC. Had he disposed himself to learning from this experience, he probably would have anticipated the current conversation around the VC-ship of UNN and sited the institution in Onitsha or nearly Ogidi, Atani or even Ihiala.

I have read a number of people express their views on this. I have seen their arguments. While the most intelligent of them claim that only a Vice Chancellor from Nsukka can and will reverse the shameful decay in the university, the rest merely want the bragging rights of having their kin as VC.

But let us ask the core question: Is it true that only an Nsukka person will reverse UNN’s totally unacceptable decay? I am not sure the answer is a certain “yes”. And I will draw from a few examples. The best Vice Chancellor this university has had since I began to hear and understand stories around this great institution from my father and an uncle who worked in the university, was Prof Frank Ndili. He initiated most of the projects currently uncompleted in the university. He envisioned the Nnamdi Azikiwe Library, the biggest of such in Africa at the time. Not sure there has been a bigger one. He foresaw the growth of the university and initiated the Franco Hostels project. He initiated many other projects and was set to continue when a group, later known as The Nine Professors began a flurry of petitions and protests that saw the end of his tenure.

Prof Ndili is from Delta State, then Bendel State. He is not from Nsukka.

Prof Ndili’s exit opened the gates for the decadence. Prof Chimere Ikoku sat through his tenure like he did not know what was going on. Prof Oleka Udelala was accused of corruption and had running battles with the Student Union Government until he left. Prof Umaru Gomwalk, a Sole Administrator that was brought in 1995 spent his days infusing military style management into the university system and although he did not stay long, lecturers quickly acquired this trait and had behaved much the same way every since.
Since Gomwalk, a man who rebuilt the Akanu Ibiam Stadium only for it to collapse not long after, the whole lot of the Vice Chancellors in UNN have been worse than vandals, stripping the institution of all its most valuable assets which are honour, dignity and academic excellence. UNN became a diary cow to be milked by any person who finds himself in charge. From departments, through faculties to the VC’s office’ from refectories to porters and spanning all levels of support non-academic staff, the rot was pandemic and it became clear that a University VC is a political position where billions could be made at the expense of propriety and good conscience.

This last Vice Chancellor spent his five years in a hail of allegations of corruption and abandonment of due process. Rumours were rife about the employment racket in the institution where people were said to have “purchased” jobs for as much as N1.5 million many of our people did not complain against this terribly flawed process, perhaps because, as I later learned, more than 47 percent of beneficiaries were from Nsukka.

If, as many believe, this outgoing Vice Chancellor was poor in performance, have we conducted any audit to determine how many of our Nsukka sons and daughters were complicit?

The second example, I beg all readers, will be drawn from outside the UNN environment even as it is quite relevant. During the 2011 Presidential elections, a lot of people had expected the then candidate of the PDP, President Goodluck Jonathan to take very personal, the job of lifting his Niger Delta region in the areas of infrastructure and general sense of connection to the Nigerian nation. But Jonathan, from Bayelsa State, won the elections and could not do anything either in his home state or in the wider South South region apart from a big hotel his wife erected in Yenagoa, the state capital. The politically vexed East-West road was never touched and the Nigeria Delta University he sited in Otuoke made records as the only university where the number or those in the non0academic staff outnumbered the total student population.

It is worrying that we are not strategic in any of our conversations around political issues. I have seen a number of “saints” of Nsukka origin make veiled and open reference to the Enugu State Governor, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi as responsible for the failure of Nsukka to produce the UNN VC. These saints with all their halos of wretched anointing failed to see how difficult it was going to be for anybody to perform the magic of driving the interest of Nsukka people when at the onset of the VC-ship contest, more than 60 Nsukka professors threw their hats, hoods and gowns in the ring, each desiring the position.

I think we need to be a lot more strategic. We also need to guard our utterances. The bile spewed from my Nsukka brothers against our brothers from Anambra and other parts of Igbo land since this loss is frightening. I am not sure any one f them is aware that the Vice Chancellor of Federal University of Agriculture, Umudike, is an Nsukka man. Prof Edoga is from Eha Afifi (Eha Imuhu). I am wondering what would have been the reaction of my people if Umudike people had protested his selection on the basis of where he came from and the fact that no Umudike son or daughter had been VC of the university in their town before.

The energy people have dissipated in moaning and mourning a loss they could never have determined its potential, had it gone the other way, would have been channeled towards engaging the eventual winner constructively on how to arrest the regression that UNN has been made to undergo over the past two decades or so. The new Vice Chancellor, a man who came to Nsukka as a young boy and who rose to the position from a very lowly position in the non-academic section of UNN should be as much an Nsukka person as any other. People should think of how best to make him work for the good of the university instead of compelling him, through parochial, sectional rhetoric, to realize how distant he has always been from a people in whose land he transformed from an ordinary lab hand to an extraordinary egghead..

This is still possible.

And let me also say this here: if in the next five years, 60 of Nsukka professors line up for just one Vice Chancellorship position in UNN, an outsider will most likely still take it.
House cleaning is important. But more important is the love in our hearts for one and all and the strategic thinking in our heads to fashion the “How-Bests” in making something out of difficult circumstances and the tactical deftness in our hands to be seen to not be spinning hate of potentially xenophobic proportions, masking our latent inability to compete.
Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by Nobody: 12:23pm On May 27, 2019
FRESHG:
WHAT IS REALLY WRONG WITH YOU EWEDURIANS YOU SHOULD FIND ANOTHER ALTERNATIVE BECAUSE YOUR DIVIDE AND RULE TACTICS IS NO LONGER WORKING

CC CYYNTHIAKISS

And he continues.
Just knock yourself and say I must be educated.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by CyynthiaKiss(f): 12:26pm On May 27, 2019
FRESHG:

CC CYYNTHIAKISS

You don't need to worry yourself about the Yoruba Muslim Op.. I have his medicine.
Re: The Great Zik didn't learn well from history. My Brother Is Now The VC Of UNN. by Nobody: 12:27pm On May 27, 2019
Arda1000:
this fool have come again so u no be Anambra boy again

Did u read the write up well.
Did u understand it at all.
I guess u didn't but I won't descend so low with you.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Meet 13 Families That Control The World, Number 5 will shock you. / Ex-IGP Idris Returns To Village As New Wife Pockets Family Assets In Abuja / Sanwo-Olu Presents N10 Million Cheque To Family Of Slain RRS Officer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.