Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,188 members, 7,953,681 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:50 PM

The Ills Of Religion By Victoria Omoghena Edidi - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Ills Of Religion By Victoria Omoghena Edidi (418 Views)

Body Shaming By Victoria Omoghena Edidi / BLACK By Victoria Omoghena Edidi / THE RAVAGED BEAUTY By Victoria Omoghena Edidi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Ills Of Religion By Victoria Omoghena Edidi by VictoriaOmo: 9:19am On May 27, 2019
Religion as defined by Merriam Webster dictionary is an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods. Religion simply is the belief in a supreme being, an authority external to the worshipper, who is believed to be all powerful.

Nigeria in terms of religion can be likened to a pot of soup filled with assorted cuttings and flavours. Nigeria is a highly religious nation with three major religions viz Christianity, Islam and Traditional religion. But for what it's worth, I believe religion has seemingly done more harm than good to the nation and I'll let you know how I mean.

Religion has been used as an excuse to extort well meaning individuals desperate for help. This is particularly obvious in the Christian religion where a person with one chronic health challenge or the other decides to approach the pastor for prayers. He is prevented from accessing him unless he pays a sum of money termed "seeing fee". This money doesn't guarantee his health but rather just grants him entrance to the man-of-God. Then, the question comes to mind; how much did the multitudes in the Bible pay to access Jesus? After all, they do claim that he is the Icon of their faith. On seeing the pastor, he also demands a sum of money in order to pray for the person. After all this, the man's challenges remain with him while his account balance has diminished.

Religion has also been used as a cover to subject people to inhuman treatments. Stories abound of pastors who subjected their members to brutal beatings in the guise of exorcism or spraying insecticides on said members to cast out demons. The last time I checked, demons ( assuming they're real ), are not insects to be killed with insecticides but supposed supernatural beings who should be able to withstand the effects of such chemicals and the severity of beatings. Such acts like this only exposes the people to health challenges and the like. Pastors in a show of superiority or power ask their members to kiss their feet and other such acts to show their respects. Comparing this to the author of their faith, he treated people with love and not inhumanity.

Acts of terrorism has been perpetrated by religious fanatics who believe that their religion is supreme and should be adhered to by all and sundry. This is particular to the Islamic religion. The founder admonished his followers to treat as enemies as many as are not aligned to the faith. This has promoted mass killings of innocent individuals who happen to be in a perceived wrong religion. This is funny because it's taking place in a country that promotes freedom of religion. How does this show that freedom? Fanaticism is an offspring of religion which has an adverse effect on the individuals and the nation. The Muslims are promised a life of bliss in Al Janat if they willingly give their lives for the cause of Allah. This has led to an increase in death rate, especially among youths who are used to perpetuate such acts as suicide bombings and the like. The Christians on the other hand, are intolerable of other religious views; only that they don't resort to violence as a way out.

The African Traditional religion is one religion that supports the use of humans in sacrifice in the name of appeasing their gods or pleading for favour in their endeavours. This has led to an increase in kidnapping and related activities. People are slaughtered by fellow humans in the struggle for wealth, promotion and material progress. Certain communities carry out festivals that restrict the movement of the female gender; demanding that defaulters be offered up to the gods. Who are these gods who seemingly take pleasure in the loss of lives? This doesn't paint them as good but rather, task master's who are hard to please because the adherents also face the risk of death of they step out of line.

These and lots more are reasons that I believe that religion has caused more harm than good in the society. These are just my opinions and people are free to disagree with me. Don't worry, I don't kill.

(1) (Reply)

The Dark Con Of Man / Take Action / Book Reading At Unilag

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.