Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,430 members, 7,815,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:32 PM

Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing (8175 Views)

Uniben's Drop Out Finally Graduates After 9 Years. / Studying Accounting In Unilag Vs Uniben Vs Unical, Which One Is More Better? / FUPRE VS UNIBEN..See funny tweets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by FSU: 5:36pm On May 27, 2019
Harvard Drop-out vs UniBen Drop-out. Can't stop laughing

Hear oh! Harvard is not UniBen or IMSU or OAU or UI or ABU or UniPort. If you drop out from Uniben, etc, and think you will be like Bill Gate, na only you waka come. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

On a more serious note: it is very pathetic to even imagine that a Harvard first year undergraduate drop out could be better than a Nigerian PhD holder. What do you think? Can that be true?

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by FSU: 5:37pm On May 27, 2019
Meanwhile, Igbo people abroad (America/UK/Canada) continue to blaze the trail for Nigeria

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by FSU: 5:41pm On May 27, 2019
It is very pathetic to even imagine that a Harvard first year undergraduate drop out would be better than Nigerian PhD. What do you think? Can that be true?

1 Like

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by SolexOlenin(m): 5:41pm On May 27, 2019
kikikikikikikiki........

1 Like

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by emere007(m): 5:47pm On May 27, 2019
FSU:
It is very pathetic to even imagine that a Harvard first year undergraduate drop out would be better than Nigerian PhD. What do you think? Can that be true?
well though sad, but thats the truth broh, your school curriculum and academic module is simple obsolete hence the poor graduates we get to churn our from our so called "citadel of learning"

2 Likes

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by FSU: 5:48pm On May 27, 2019
FSU:

I poke a hole in that claim because 99% of Harvard graduates are not even a quarter as rich as Bill Gate and Mark. So, it was not because they went to Harvard (and dropped out) that they are rich today.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by Agbaletu: 5:51pm On May 27, 2019
It is unfortunate that some of you don't even know what it means for one to have a PhD either in Nigeria or anywhere in the world.

3 Likes

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by Agbaletu: 5:52pm On May 27, 2019
emere007:

well though sad, but thats the truth broh, your school curriculum and academic module is simple obsolete hence the poor graduates we get to churn our from our so called "citadel of learning"
The academic curriculum might be obsolete at the BSc level, but not MSc, let alone PhD.

3 Likes

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by Agbaletu: 5:55pm On May 27, 2019
It is even an insult to put an MSc degree holder in any university in Nigeria in the same sentence with a drop out let alone a PhD degree holder.

2 Likes

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by Germannig: 6:00pm On May 27, 2019
Agbaletu:
It is even an insult to put an MSc degree holder in any university in Nigeria in the same sentence with a drop out let alone a PhD degree holder.

Keep consoling yourself. Some High Schools ( = Secondary Schools in Nigeria) in America are better equipped than some PhD programs in Nigeria. They teach AI and Robotics in Elementary Schools in America. As far as I know (and please correct me with facts if I am wrong), there is no Robotics PhD holder (let alone MS or BS) solely from a NIGERIAN university

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by Agbaletu: 6:10pm On May 27, 2019
Germannig:

Keep consoling yourself
Lol. I am happy that I have given lectures outside Nigeria in my field of studies despite the fact I am not teaching in any university.

3 Likes

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by Tomide007: 6:13pm On May 27, 2019

1 Like

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by Nobody: 6:23pm On May 27, 2019
grin grin grin

I am laughing, not at the joke, but at the people making the joke.

Do you know why a Harvard dropout is superior to a Uniben droput?

1.Harvard was established in the 17th century. Uniben was established in 1975.

2.The fees at Harvard are $67850...if you are staying in their hostel. $46340 if you are not. The fees in Uniben are N70000 or $194.31

3.Harvard assets at the end of 2018: $47billion. Uniben's budget : Less than 20billion naira or 56 million dollars.

4.Harvard as a result can attract the best in terms of facilites, lecturers, staff, etc. Uniben?? Dem go manage

I know it is characteristic of Nigerians to laugh at their universites. But the thing is , Uniben is woirse than Harvard because it does not have the funds to compete with a Harvard.

And when some of us suggest that fees have to go up....you people will insult us. OK...government bring money. It would cost N3trillion naira..one third of our budget...to bring about some improvement in all our unviersites , per annum. That is $8,327,781,300 (8 billion dollars). Harvard has $48bn dollars in assets.

So stop laughing at Uniben....and either face facts. Quality education costs money. So, either we pay high fees, or we wait for another loan for education.

21 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by Blakjewelry(m): 6:27pm On May 27, 2019
FSU:
but 2baba and seun na school dropout na

3 Likes

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by emere007(m): 6:31pm On May 27, 2019
Agbaletu:

The academic curriculum might be obsolete at the BSc level, but not MSc, let alone PhD.
but never lose sight of the fact that the Undergraduate level is the foundational level of the academic strata, the other levels you speak of are just for mere academics, not like I'm deemphasizing their importance, in Germany for instance what you are required is attaining the BSC and remember it is free and subsidized, so the institutions ensure they equip you with the requisite skills and knowledge to conquer the outside world be it in tech or other eclectic innovations. The moral of the story being- "we have trained you, so wake you a$$ up and go use the knowledge to better yourself and your society"

Most of the phd students in Nigeria deal with plagiarized work copied from varied academic journals, their thesis are more on unimportant areas of study, I mean specializations that are more theoretical and hypothetical to a large extent.

3 Likes

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by Agbaletu: 6:39pm On May 27, 2019
emere007:

but never lose sight of the fact that the Undergraduate level is the foundational level of the academic strata, the other levels you speak of are just for mere academics, not like I'm deemphasizing their importance, in Germany for instance what you are required is attaining the BSC and remember it is free and subsidized, so the institutions ensure they equip you with the requisite skills and knowledge to conquer the outside world be it in tech or other eclectic innovations. The moral of the story being- "we have trained you, so wake you a$$ up and go use the knowledge to better yourself and your society"

Most of the phd students in Nigeria deal with plagiarized work copied from varied academic journals, their thesis are more on unimportant areas of study, I mean specializations that are more theoretical and hypothetical to a large extent.

I won't totally disagree with your submission. I can only tell you that it is near impossible to plagiarize now. It might be easy before now. The days of plagiarism have passed. The area of specialization really matters and your contribution to knowledge is also very important. More reasons why I have not published any paper this year.
As per the foundation, you are absolutely correct.

5 Likes

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by FSU: 7:09pm On May 27, 2019
Agbaletu:

Lol. I am happy that I have given lectures outside Nigeria in my field of studies despite the fact I am not teaching in any university.

What has this self praise got to do with the topic?

1 Like

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by otipoju(m): 7:15pm On May 27, 2019
tactius:
grin grin grin

2.The fees at Harvard are $67850...if you are staying in their hostel. $46340 if you are not. The fees in Uniben are N70000 or $194.31

3.Harvard assets at the end of 2018: $47billion. Uniben's budget : Less than 20billion naira or 56 million dollars.

4.Harvard as a result can attract the best in terms of facilites, lecturers, staff, etc. Uniben?? Dem go manage

I know it is characteristic of Nigerians to laugh at their universites. But the thing is , Uniben is woirse than Harvard because it does not have the funds to compete with a Harvard.

And when some of us suggest that fees have to go up....you people will insult us. OK...government bring money. It would cost N3trillion naira..one third of our budget...to bring about some improvement in all our unviersites , per annum. That is $8,327,781,300 (8 billion dollars). Harvard has $48bn dollars in assets.

So stop laughing at Uniben....and either face facts. Quality education costs money. So, either we pay high fees, or we wait for another loan for education.

Then how come Sweden is able to offer free tertiary education for its citizens.

A drug Truvada costs $2000 in the USA while the same medicine is sold for $8 in Australia.

US economy is a greedy economy. Education does not have to be expensive to be good.

Last week a Prof. told us in class that the reason why these courses are expensive is due to the salary of administrators.

An MBA programe at Clayton State costs $13,000 while Emory University costs like $53,000. Bro the quality is not different.Both are in the state of Georgia.

Education does not have to be expensive to be good.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by otipoju(m): 7:23pm On May 27, 2019
tactius:
grin grin grin

A drug Truvada costs $2000 in the USA while the same medicine is sold for $8 in Australia.

US economy is a greedy economy. Education does not have to be expensive to be good.

Last week a Prof. told us in class that the reason why these courses are expensive is due to the salary of administrators.

An MBA programe at Clayton State costs $13,000 while Emory University costs like $53,000. Bro the quality is not different.

Education does not have to be expensive to be good.
The problwm with Nigeria is that we have government officials who are deliberately and sytematically destroying education so that they can keep the citizens in ignorance.

In Georgia State alone we have 89 universities out of 185 higher instituitions for a population of 10 million.
In Nigeria we have 170 universities for a population of 200 million.

2 Likes

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by emere007(m): 7:24pm On May 27, 2019
Agbaletu:

I won't totally disagree with your submission. I can only tell you that it is near impossible to plagiarize now. It might be easy before now. The days of plagiarism have passed. The area of specialization really matters and your contribution to knowledge is also very important. More reasons why I have not published any paper this year.
As per the foundation, you are absolutely correct.
I share in your zeal prof and I'm honored to have this critical chat with you, though we disagree in some areas but I'm truly happy that Nigerian Institutions are doing a great deal to deal with the malaise associated with plagiarism.

However, I still have my skepticisms going forward, because we are yet to see any academic study or endeavor yielding any fruit from any Nigerian Institutions, I know we have patented studies by some distinguished scholars (which I believe you are one of such); but like I asserted, the areas are not ground breaking enough to warrant any form of global attention. In the past we've had Nigerian scholars sharing the podium of academic excellence with the best of the very best globally; sadly today, the reverse is the case.

Notwithstanding, I stand to be corrected!

1 Like

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by Nobody: 7:30pm On May 27, 2019
[quote author=otipoju post=78773268]

An MBA programe at Clayton State costs $13,000 while Emory University costs like $53,000. Bro the quality is not different.

Education does not have to be expensive to be good.[/quota] just like saying an iPhone doesn't have to be expensive which is also correct. But mind you, if it were cheap alot of people wouldn't buy it . You need to understand that people pay not just for the service but sometimes for the prestige

There will always be expensive schools like Harvard and it is noteworthy to state that these schools aren't expensive for the sake of it ...they strive to lead in app areas
PS truvada is a HIV prevention drug

2 Likes

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by otipoju(m): 7:37pm On May 27, 2019
[quote author=LiveByNight post=78773601][/quote]

Yeah. Harvard is a prestige school.
You are paying for the name and connections it provides.

The quality is not what you are paying for.

As per Truvada, i watched Oscar Cortez a young new breed politician questioning the manufacturer as to justify why the drug had to be that expensive, considering that the research that lead to that drug was government funded.

1 Like

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by Agbaletu: 7:49pm On May 27, 2019
emere007:

I share in your zeal prof and I'm honored to have this critical chat with you, though we disagree in some areas but I'm truly happy that Nigerian Institutions are doing a great deal to deal with the malaise associated with plagiarism.

However, I still have my skepticisms going forward, because we are yet to see any academic study or endeavor yielding any fruit from any Nigerian Institutions, I know we have patented studies by some distinguished scholars (which I believe you are one of such); but like I asserted, the areas are not ground breaking enough to warrant any form of global attention. In the past we've had Nigerian scholars sharing the podium of academic excellence with the best of the very best globally; sadly today, the reverse is the case.

I am honoured too.
Federal and state governments are not funding ground breaking research at all. Most PhD and MSc students are mostly self-funded unlike in the West. The western countries are even funding Nigerian students' research works abroad. I could remember when I completed my PhD, a good friend of mine wanted to apply for his PhD too, but I discouraged him. I told him it will take all his resources and he might end up unhappy man after the completion of his PhD in this country. I am happy he is on scholarship in the west now. It will take a long time to get back to our earlier position in academic world. A novel research requires funding. The rot in the system will take along time to clean up. I do not see any green light for now; maybe I am being pessimistic.
Thanks, emere007 for your contribution.

3 Likes

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by venmotors(m): 7:56pm On May 27, 2019
Germannig:

Keep consoling yourself. Some High Schools ( = Secondary Schools in Nigeria) in America are better equipped than some PhD programs in Nigeria. They teach AI and Robotics in Elementary Schools in America. As far as I know (and please correct me with facts if I am wrong), there is no Robotics PhD holder (let alone MS or BS) solely from a NIGERIAN university
Former VC of UNN is a prof in Robotics
Make research before coming here to spit rubbish

1 Like

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by FSU: 8:00pm On May 27, 2019
venmotors:

Former VC of UNN is a prof in Robotics
Make research before coming here to spit rubbish

Did he obtain the degree in Robotics in Nigeria, though? That was the point I think he was making

3 Likes

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by TVSA: 8:13pm On May 27, 2019
FSU:

first year dropout that's still doing Engineering Maths and introduction to computer science is better than a PhD candidate? Why do we like to exaggerate like this? To be a pHD candidate, you must've had some research papers in international journals with your work scholarly peer reviewed. My supervisor in unilag has been publishing in IEEE explore since 2009. He got his PhD in 2013. And he did his Bsc, msc, PhD in unilag.

2 Likes

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by Nobody: 8:15pm On May 27, 2019
otipoju:

Yeah. Harvard is a prestige school.
You are paying for the name and connections it provides.

The quality is not what you are paying for.

As per Truvada, i watched Oscar Cortez a young new breed politician questioning the manufacturer as to justify why the drug had to be that expensive, considering that the research that lead to that drug was government funded.

Bro you can get it cheap online though from the right sources

As regards truvada grin

It's been a life shaper grin

Prevention is better than daily arv grin

1 Like

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by jesmond3945: 8:16pm On May 27, 2019
tactius:
grin grin grin

point of correction govt subsidizes fees unlike harvard which doesn't. Standard of living is different, what 10 million naira will build in Nigeria would take 50 million to build in america. We have the resources and import finished goods to build, they import the resources and manufacture finished goods to build. A mecahnical engr in naija can build 10 lathe machines for use while in harvard a company in china would do that. So both systems are not comparable.

1 Like

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by FSU: 8:20pm On May 27, 2019
Blakjewelry:

but 2baba and seun na school dropout na
Lol. Even Dangote, the richest African, and Buhari, the most powerful Nigerian today, didn't take JAMB nor did they gain admission, let alone drop out from Uni. Like I said earlier, being wealthy has little to do with Harvard. May be here in America but certainly not in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by TheLogicalMind(m): 8:21pm On May 27, 2019
It depends on the basis of comparison. If we're talking about the 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation state owned universities, especially those in the North and most of the private universities, you'd probably be right.

A Havard drop out would certainly be head and shoulders above an Usman Dan Fodio University Phd holder or Nassarawa State Uni or Gombe State Uni or Katsina State Uni or any of those glorified primary schools they have up there.

A Havard drop out would even give a Phd holder from a 1st generation University like UI, UNN or UNILAG a good run for his money.
Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by Nobody: 8:23pm On May 27, 2019
So? Africans sef.

1 Like

Re: Harvard Drop-out Vs Uniben Drop-out. Can't Stop Laughing by jesmond3945: 8:27pm On May 27, 2019
emere007:

i dont think we need global attention because global attention is pure politics. If any research would solve our problem and make life better for us thats enough. We dont need europeans to validate us. It was in Nigeria someone found a cure for hiv and he achieved remarkable results but because it was not a white man, he was relegated.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Top Ten (10) Most Marketable Courses To Study In Nigeria / See The Man Who Invented Exams In Education System[pix] / Amazing Facts That You May Not Know. PHOTOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.