Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,066 members, 7,828,775 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:57 PM

Jigawa Governor Blames Basin Authority For Flood Disaster - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jigawa Governor Blames Basin Authority For Flood Disaster (1228 Views)

Canoes For Flood-prone Areas In Sokoto (photo) / "Progressive" Jigawa Governor In over 10 Billion Naira Fraud / Prepare For Flood: NEMA Warns South-West States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jigawa Governor Blames Basin Authority For Flood Disaster by Beaf: 8:09pm On Sep 27, 2010
[size=14pt]Jigawa governor blames basin authority for flood disaster [/size]
September 27, 2010 12:47AM

The managers of Hadejia Jamaree River Basin Development Authority are to blame for releasing excess water from Tiga Dam about three weeks ago, wreaking havoc on the people of Jigawa and their farmlands.

The state governor, Sule Lamido, made the remark when the past governors since the creation of Jigawa in 1991, met to sympathise with him. Lamido had told his colleagues that, as a result of the incident, more than two million people had been displaced in 5,000 villages, while 90,000 hectares of farmland had been destroyed. He said N4.5 billion had also been lost to the disaster, adding that farm produce such as rice, guinea corn, millet, beans, sesame and maize had been washed away by the flood, portending food shortage in the state.

“Jigawa is a very poor state, therefore, I want the federal government to come and rescue my people,” he said. The Emir of Hadejia, Abubakar Maje, whose emirate is badly affected, told the News Agency of Nigeria that the river should be dredged to forestall further calamity. Twelve local governments were affected. They are: Jahun, Miga, Kafinhausa, Hadejia, Guri, Kirikasama, Birniwa, Mallamadori, Kaugama, Taura, Ringim and Auyo.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5623670-146/jigawa_governor_blames_basin_authority_for.csp
Re: Jigawa Governor Blames Basin Authority For Flood Disaster by Youngichou(m): 12:32pm On Sep 28, 2010
Beaf:

The Emir of Hadejia, Abubakar Maje, whose emirate is badly affected, told the News Agency of Nigeria that the river should be dredged to forestall further calamity.
so that he can see a ground to embezzle more funds. HAUSA leaders are really lunatics.
Re: Jigawa Governor Blames Basin Authority For Flood Disaster by DoubleN(m): 1:56pm On Sep 28, 2010
Beaf:

He said N4.5 billion had also been lost to the disaster, adding that farm produce such as rice, guinea corn, millet, beans, sesame and maize had been washed away by the flood, portending food shortage in the state.
Abeg make we hear word,4.5B of what? Jigawa that is virtually just desert!
Re: Jigawa Governor Blames Basin Authority For Flood Disaster by Reference(m): 5:20pm On Sep 28, 2010
This is Government at its most inept best. How can the release of excess water from a dam be categorised as a disaster. Did it sneak up on them. Could they vouch that they were unaware of the critical situation building in that dam and the consequences of not spilling it. They had enough time to evacuate and relocate. The real disaster would have been inaction by the basin authority, the failure of that dam and the consequences. The dam in question is an earth type and was built for irrigation purposes. It has failed in the past due to this very type of ineptitude that government is demonstrating. The day we will have sensible men and women in authority who take the lives and welfare of its people serious will be the day.
Re: Jigawa Governor Blames Basin Authority For Flood Disaster by Nobody: 9:19pm On Sep 28, 2010
Beaf:

[size=14pt]Jigawa governor blames basin authority for flood disaster [/size]
“Jigawa is a very poor state, therefore, I want the federal government to come and rescue my people,” he said. The Emir of Hadejia, Abubakar Maje, whose emirate is badly affected, told the News Agency of Nigeria that the river should be dredged to forestall further calamity.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5623670-146/jigawa_governor_blames_basin_authority_for.csp

i thought that is why there is a monthly allocation to such states. cool
Re: Jigawa Governor Blames Basin Authority For Flood Disaster by Beaf: 9:35pm On Sep 28, 2010
I feel a lot of pity for the people of Jigawa. I can't for the life of me, understand why in this day and age, the controls of our dams are not computerised. How can the release of such a large volume of excess water be done by guess work?
Now that it has caused the flooding of half a state, losses of more than 4billion and human lives; lets wait and see how it is dealt with.

Nigeria needs to begin taking industrilisation seriously. It is the only way to avert disasters caused by foolishness.
Re: Jigawa Governor Blames Basin Authority For Flood Disaster by hackney(m): 9:53pm On Sep 28, 2010
Flood.
It should carry nigeria away.
Re: Jigawa Governor Blames Basin Authority For Flood Disaster by baconline(m): 10:10pm On Sep 28, 2010
Reference:

This is Government at its most inept best. How can the release of excess water from a dam be categorised as a disaster. Did it sneak up on them. Could they vouch that they were unaware of the critical situation building in that dam and the consequences of not spilling it. They had enough time to evacuate and relocate. The real disaster would have been inaction by the basin authority, the failure of that dam and the consequences. The dam in question is an earth type and was built for irrigation purposes. It has failed in the past due to this very type of ineptitude that government is demonstrating. The day we will have sensible men and women in authority who take the lives and welfare of its people serious will be the day.
If I understand what d governor said,I believe he did not mean failure of the embarkment but excess release of water from the gated spillway. Many a times when that happens it is disastous downstream. But my argument is how could this have affected a lot of LGs. I really want to believe if the quantity of rain was much over already saturating soil,flood is the resultant.Any way flood is common now in a lot of areas round the world. The intensity and duration of recent rainful in high ,therefore expect flood any time that happens
Re: Jigawa Governor Blames Basin Authority For Flood Disaster by Ayowumie(m): 9:34am On Sep 29, 2010
Beaf:

[size=14pt]

The managers of Hadejia Jamaree River Basin Development Authority are to blame for releasing excess water from Tiga Da[/b]m about three weeks ago, wreaking havoc on the people of Jigawa and their farmlands.

Releasing excess water now resulted into flood that affected 12 LGAs and cost 4 billion naira worth of damages
ok, lets take it one after the other. Excess of water from the dam could not have caused such damages (the dam is not that big)if adequate utilisations had been made with the monthly allocation to the Basin Authority. Even if damages resulted from the excess water, it would not be in such magnitude (4Billion?). I think the state govt is just trying to solicit extra fund from the federation account.
Even, lets accept that, the flood has caused a lot of damages to the already poor state, [b]What is the position of NEMA regarding the flood disaster
?

Beaf:

[size=14pt]

He said N4.5 billion had also been lost to the disaster,

[size=8pt][size=8pt]What is the economic worth of the whole state?[/size][/size]
Re: Jigawa Governor Blames Basin Authority For Flood Disaster by otokx(m): 12:40pm On Sep 29, 2010
Don't mind the Jigawa state government; that dam is so small i wonder how 2 million people go displaced. How many people are even in the state sef?
Re: Jigawa Governor Blames Basin Authority For Flood Disaster by labiyemmy(m): 1:54pm On Oct 02, 2010
hackney:

Flood.
It should carry nigeria away.

Idiot.
Re: Jigawa Governor Blames Basin Authority For Flood Disaster by Kobojunkie: 5:19pm On Oct 02, 2010
otokx:

Don't mind the Jigawa state government; that dam is so small i wonder how 2 million people go displaced. How many people are even in the state sef?

I believe it makes more sense to blame the dam for this than the alternative, blaming the rains. Following the information from victims, the water came at them almost from nowhere, prompting me to believe it must have come from some reservoire in the area.
Re: Jigawa Governor Blames Basin Authority For Flood Disaster by Ayowumie(m): 10:14pm On Oct 02, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I believe it makes more sense to blame the dam for this than the alternative, blaming the rains. Following the information from victims, the water came at them almost from nowhere, prompting me to believe it must have come from some reservoire in the area.
The dam water obviously resulted into flood, albeit aided by the rains. However, the major bone of contention is the extent of the damages. The damages are exagerated. Also exagerated are the number of people affected.
Re: Jigawa Governor Blames Basin Authority For Flood Disaster by hercules07: 2:06pm On Oct 03, 2010
@Ayo,

What proof do you have that it is exaggerated, the basin authorities are under the control of the federal government not the states, there is a need for this issue to be given more publicity, disasters such as this claim many lives and leave more sorrows in their path.
Re: Jigawa Governor Blames Basin Authority For Flood Disaster by Gayigaskia(m): 3:17pm On Oct 03, 2010
Why now all of sudden that Jonathan is President some people are hell bent on supporting the federal government. Any all part of the world flood gates are open after serious home work , after alerting the population that mighty be affected to evacuate and it is done slowly and incrementally. Now since the FG is in charge of all dams in the country, then they should simply answer the accusations accordingly.
Beside Jonathan has much to loose by not sympathizing with these people because remember folks we are in a campaign mood. I don't understand why Jonathan will just fly over some areas of Kebbi and Sokoto by helicopter without trying to make any direct contact whatsoever with these people. This did not made to majors news papers but i am informing you that people were talking about it all over that area.
Re: Jigawa Governor Blames Basin Authority For Flood Disaster by hercules07: 9:29am On Oct 04, 2010
It is a sad indictment of our leaders and of the President that they do not have that personal touch when it comes to dealing with the governed. Disasters like this claim so many lives and if the Government is found guilty of not doing the proper thing, at least the president can empathise with the people of the state, compensate them, look at the causes and pave a way for preventing a recurrence. Most of the solutions to our problems require common sense and not money.

(1) (Reply)

If You Think That Unbanning Prohibited Items is A Wrong Decision , Read This. / Pdp Wins In Delta State / edit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.