Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,706 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:55 PM

3 Things You Apparently Didn't Know About Enugu State - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 3 Things You Apparently Didn't Know About Enugu State (511 Views)

Princess Inikpi: 3 Things You Didn't Know It Happened Because Of Her Death / Oluwo Of Iwo, Akanbi: "I Didn't Visit Dangote For Money" / Ooni Of Ife Visits Enugu State, Received By Governor Ugwuanyi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Things You Apparently Didn't Know About Enugu State by Nobody: 9:20am On May 28, 2019
Enugu, also known as the “coal city” ( 042) is the capital of Enugu state in South-Eastern Nigeria. The city is popular for its cuisine, robust industries and of course, the local palm wine ( Nkwu enu or Ngwo ) .

(1) The Meaning of Enugu
The name Enugu was derived from two Igbo words, “Énú Ụ́gwụ́” means “top of the hill or mountain”. The name obviously denotes the city’s geography naturally decorated with rolling hills and valleys. The city was named after “Enugu Ngwo” under which coal was discovered.

(2) How did Enugu Become “The Coal City” ??
The Europeans commissioned Albert Ernest Kitson to lead an exploration in 1903 to find mineral resources in the area. In 1909 Coal was discovered in Enugu at the Udi Hills and this led to the construction of the Eastern Railway to transport coal to the port at Port Harcourt.
Enugu was then developed by the Europeans to become one of the few West African cities with a European touch. Enugu was declared the capital of the Eastern Region after Nigeria’s independence in 1960 having previously served as the administrative capital of the same region from 1938 till independence.

(3). Enugu Was Briefly the Capital City of A Country
The city also served as the capital of the then "Republic of Biafra" in 1967. The Biafran capital was moved to Umuahia after the Nigerian Armed forces captured Enugu. In 1991, the old Anambra state was divided into two to create Enugu and Anambra States. Enugu remained the capital of the new Enugu State created by Ibrahim Babangida’s military regime.

Enugu has always been an investment hub in the Eastern part of Nigeria.

Enugu Amaka !!!

Re: 3 Things You Apparently Didn't Know About Enugu State by KristaPretty(f): 9:21am On May 28, 2019
If you want to sleep with any Enugu babe, just buy her Okpa grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Meanwhile first to comment, I have made it in life.

1 Like

Re: 3 Things You Apparently Didn't Know About Enugu State by Skyfornia(m): 9:26am On May 28, 2019
042 my home state...the capital of the rising sun-Biafra!

2 Likes

Re: 3 Things You Apparently Didn't Know About Enugu State by Nobody: 9:26am On May 28, 2019
KristaPretty:
If you want to sleep with any Enugu babe, just buy her Okpa grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Meanwhile first to comment, I have made it in life.
Lol, have you seen it work before? nkwobi too join grin grin
Re: 3 Things You Apparently Didn't Know About Enugu State by Harrymig1(m): 9:48am On May 28, 2019
Ezigbo obodo

Igbo Amaka
Re: 3 Things You Apparently Didn't Know About Enugu State by Heylius(m): 9:50am On May 28, 2019
Enugu my state IMT my school
Re: 3 Things You Apparently Didn't Know About Enugu State by KristaPretty(f): 9:52am On May 28, 2019
omega903:
Lol, have you seen it work before? nkwobi too join grin grin

Nkwobi without oil will do for them
Re: 3 Things You Apparently Didn't Know About Enugu State by chiommy123(f): 11:03am On May 28, 2019
The fourth thing you should also know is that Enugu is in the hands of God

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Igbo-hebrew / What Is Africa’s Original Name? / Ada Abakaliki Or Nkoli Nwa Nsukka?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.