Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,093 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:35 AM

Mexican Minister Resigns After Causing 38-minute Flight Delay - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Mexican Minister Resigns After Causing 38-minute Flight Delay (345 Views)

António Costa, Portugal Prime Minister Resigns Amid Corruption Probe / Michelle Donelan: UK Education Minister Resigns After Two Days In Office / CNN Worldwide President, Zucker Resigns After Relationship With Co-worker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mexican Minister Resigns After Causing 38-minute Flight Delay by Austindark(m): 12:55pm On May 28, 2019
Mexico’s environment minister has been forced to resign after causing a flight she was about to miss to be delayed by 38 minutes, in direct contravention of her president’s populist promises to rule for the people.

Josefa González Blanco was due to fly from Mexico City to Mexicali, on the US border, last Friday but was held up for reasons that remain unclear.

According to Mexico’s leftwing president, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, the minister then asked an executive from the country’s flagship carrier – with whom she was reportedly friends – to ground the flight while she scrambled to arrive.

“They had to wait for her,” López Obrador said on Saturday as he described what he called a “very regrettable situation”.

One passenger documented the delay on Twitter, claiming Aeroméxico flight 198 was poised to take off when the pilot announced it had to return after a “presidenial order” to collect a tardy passenger. After González Blanco boarded, the onlooker took a photograph of the environment minister, using it to publicly name and shame her.

As word of her infraction spread, González Blanco published a grovelling resignation letter in which she apologised for contravening efforts to purify Mexican public life. “There is no justification,” González Blanco wrote. “Mexico’s true transformation requires absolute consistency with the values of fairness and justice.”

In a subsequent tweet, the minister absolved López Obrador of responsibility for the holdup: “I’m the only one to blame … The presidency never intervened.”

López Obrador, or Amlo as he is best known, took office last December vowing to spearhead a historic transformation of Mexican society and to govern for poor people.

Central to that pledge is stripping Mexican politicians and civil servants of their privileges, including forcing them to take commercial flights instead of private jets or helicopters. “We cannot have a rich government and a poor people,” Amlo, who even put the presidential plane up for sale on the eve of his inauguration, said last year.

Critics say Amlo is Mexico’s “tropical Messiah”, a Hugo Chávez-style populist whose vows to rule for the people are more spin than reality.

On Saturday, López Obrador said he accepted his minister’s resignation because such behaviour was incompatible with his bid to transform Mexico. “We do not have the right to fail – at anything,” he told supporters. “We will never fail the people.”

The El Universal broadsheet claimed budget cuts might also have played a role in González Blanco’s downfall but said Amlo’s administration hoped the episode would send a message to cosseted politicians: zero tolerance for abuse of power.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/27/mexican-josefa-gonzalez-blanco-resigns-aeromexico-flight-delayed
Re: Mexican Minister Resigns After Causing 38-minute Flight Delay by Spechialone(f): 12:57pm On May 28, 2019
Now that's a working system! #powerofsocialmedia#
Re: Mexican Minister Resigns After Causing 38-minute Flight Delay by Skyfornia(m): 1:09pm On May 28, 2019
Like seriously? God why did you bring me into a country like Nigeria where her leaders are semi gods? Don't I deserve to be a Mexican, Londoner or an American??

Why would an illiterate rule over the educated ones? Someone that studied agriculture is made minister of power...another with degree in biology is made minister of information.

I'm tired! Please anyone willing to take me out of this country should contact me ASAP.. I'm willing to do anything you want.
Re: Mexican Minister Resigns After Causing 38-minute Flight Delay by Austindark(m): 1:10pm On May 28, 2019
“There is no justification,” González Blanco wrote. “Mexico’s true transformation requires absolute consistency with the values of fairness and justice.”

I think this is what integrity is all about. Equity in discharging justice no matter who is involved.

Public servants are simply servants to the public and not the other way around. I hope my dear country understands this soon.
Re: Mexican Minister Resigns After Causing 38-minute Flight Delay by chiommy123(f): 1:20pm On May 28, 2019
Not to worry we'll get there someday
Re: Mexican Minister Resigns After Causing 38-minute Flight Delay by oloriooko(m): 1:21pm On May 28, 2019
That's a country where the rule of law has no regard for social status, wish my country can be so honest with itself

1 Like

Re: Mexican Minister Resigns After Causing 38-minute Flight Delay by Baawaa(m): 1:28pm On May 28, 2019
Here in Nigeria,they kill people and nothing happen
Re: Mexican Minister Resigns After Causing 38-minute Flight Delay by pacino26(m): 6:04pm On May 28, 2019
I laugh in efik. I don't need to list what a minster can disrupt in Nigeria.

I think we offended the cosmic powers beyond forgiveness to have given us the crop of leaders we have.

Don't tell me it will change cuz even the class prefects are corrupt.
Re: Mexican Minister Resigns After Causing 38-minute Flight Delay by panafrican(m): 11:38pm On May 29, 2019
In Africa, the sucker would be proud. He would tell his family and friends " look, because of me the plane has to delay its flight , I'm the man " !
grin

(1) (Reply)

Justice Clarence Thomas Blasts Abortion As A Tool Of Racist Eugenicists / Iran Vow To Support Syria Over Israel Threats, Others / Rwanda Police Building 30 Homes For Poor Families

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.