Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,728 members, 7,809,774 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:42 PM

Just Two Months In And My Landlord Wants To Evict Me By Refunding My Rent. - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Just Two Months In And My Landlord Wants To Evict Me By Refunding My Rent. (900 Views)

My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time / My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires / My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Just Two Months In And My Landlord Wants To Evict Me By Refunding My Rent. by NiRfreak(m): 11:36pm On May 28, 2019
I need professional advice please...I paid a rent of one year, it is barely 2 months and my landlord wants to send me packing , he says he needs his house for renovation and will probably deduct the few months spent and refund the remaining month. Also know that I will be forfeiting agent fee which is quite high...
Pls what do I do. Does a landlord have such right to terminate my tenancy prematurely thereby putting me into unfair stress without a mutual consent or a tangible offence? even when I still have a rent of 10months advance Please help me before I'm treated unfairly
Lawyers please...what am I guaranteed within law to do? can I request for a 6 month notice? even when the landlord is ready to give me back my rent? Note that I'm not ready to go through stress, he only wants to make life difficult for me.....And I would not be able to get enough money to rent another apartment cos agent fee and agreement will probably not be returned with the refund... Please help me Lawyers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Just Two Months In And My Landlord Wants To Evict Me By Refunding My Rent. by NiRfreak(m): 7:01am On May 29, 2019
Hello guys. ... Guys help me
Re: Just Two Months In And My Landlord Wants To Evict Me By Refunding My Rent. by Fadelex(m): 7:19am On May 29, 2019
You guys probably don't get along well hence the need to evict you. tell him to give you full payment with the agency fee(you can forget this is the same agent can get another place for you). he should also give you minimum of 6 months to get a new place. you have the upper hand here. I've seen instances where people moved out of rented apartments less than 2 months to their yearly rent cuz of work or family reasons but the landlord won't return a dime and will even rent the place out before the expiration of the rent. stamp you feet and tell him you ain't moving.

1 Like

Re: Just Two Months In And My Landlord Wants To Evict Me By Refunding My Rent. by NiRfreak(m): 8:11am On May 29, 2019
Fadelex:
You guys probably don't get along well hence the need to evict you. tell him to give you full payment with the agency fee(you can forget this is the same agent can get another place for you). he should also give you minimum of 6 months to get a new place. you have the upper hand here. I've seen instances where people moved out of rented apartments less than 2 months to their yearly rent cuz of work or family reasons but the landlord won't return a dime and will even rent the place out before the expiration of the rent. stamp you feet and tell him you ain't moving.

Thanks For this.
Re: Just Two Months In And My Landlord Wants To Evict Me By Refunding My Rent. by NiRfreak(m): 8:58am On May 29, 2019
Hello guys..more please
Re: Just Two Months In And My Landlord Wants To Evict Me By Refunding My Rent. by NiRfreak(m): 12:40pm On May 29, 2019
Hello
Re: Just Two Months In And My Landlord Wants To Evict Me By Refunding My Rent. by Legalissues: 2:00pm On May 29, 2019
Dont let him cheat you. You are a yearly tenant and should be entitled to 6 months notice if he wants to terminate your tenancy and the 6 months notice should be computed in such a way that it ends not earlier than the eve of the anniversary of the renewal of ur rent. Except if there was a tenancy agreement to the contrary when u took up the apartment.
Forget about the fact that he is ready to make a refund or he wants to renovate the apartment. The law isn to be used as a sword. Yes renovations of apartment can suffice as a ground for eviction of a tenant but only by following the laid down procedure by law and in your case is 6mnths notice if he is to evict on this ground. If he refunds, who bears the loss of the exhorbitant agency fee you must have paid wben taking up the apartment and the inconvenience of moving about.
So insist he either follow the due process laid down by law, 6MONTHS NOTICE WHICH SHOULD TERMINATE NOT EARLIER THAN THE EVE OF THE RENEWAL OF YOUR RENT
or he should refund your full payment plus the agency fee you paid cos you wouldn be the one to bear that.
No reasonable landlord should take a tenant and be thinking of evicting him 2mnths after based on renovation, he is just looking for an excuse to evict you.
Cheers

1 Like

Re: Just Two Months In And My Landlord Wants To Evict Me By Refunding My Rent. by NiRfreak(m): 2:39pm On May 29, 2019
Legalissues:
Dont let him cheat you. You are a yearly tenant and should be entitled to 6 months notice if he wants to terminate your tenancy and the 6 months notice should be computed in such a way that it ends not earlier than the eve of the anniversary of the renewal of ur rent. Except if there was a tenancy agreement to the contrary when u took up the apartment.
Forget about the fact that he is ready to make a refund or he wants to renovate the apartment. The law isn to be used as a sword. Yes renovations of apartment can suffice as a ground for eviction of a tenant but only by following the laid down procedure by law and in your case is 6mnths notice if he is to evict on this ground. If he refunds, who bears the loss of the exhorbitant agency fee you must have paid wben taking up the apartment and the inconvenience of moving about.
So insist he either follow the due process laid down by law, 6MONTHS NOTICE WHICH SHOULD TERMINATE NOT EARLIER THAN THE EVE OF THE RENEWAL OF YOUR RENT
or he should refund your full payment plus the agency fee you paid cos you wouldn be the one to bear that.
No reasonable landlord should take a tenant and be thinking of evicting him 2mnths after based on renovation, he is just looking for an excuse to evict you.
Cheers
Thank you Sir. How can I make him comply to this rule.. cos he told me he gave me 1 month to look for another apartment, of which I don't even reckon with his words cos I know its unlawful, but I don't know how to press charges, to make him give me 6months or my full payment.
Re: Just Two Months In And My Landlord Wants To Evict Me By Refunding My Rent. by Legalissues: 2:53pm On May 29, 2019
[quote author=NiRfreak post=78828852] Thank you Sir. How can I make him comply to this rule.. cos he told me he gave me 1 month to look for another apartment, of which I don't even reckon with his words cos I know its unlawful, but I don't know how to press charges, to make him give me 6months or my full payment.[/quote

You need a lawyer to do this for you, let your lawyer handle him from this point so that he would understand you mean serious bussiness and not taking no for an answer. You can call or chat with me on this number 08071014349 if you dont have one to handle it for u.

1 Like

Re: Just Two Months In And My Landlord Wants To Evict Me By Refunding My Rent. by NiRfreak(m): 7:52pm On May 29, 2019
[quote author=Legalissues post=78829219][/quote]
Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Room Parlour (mini-flat) Urgently Needed / Luxury 3 Bedroom Ensuite for rent At Maryland (behind Mr Biggs) / Own A House At Gracias Goldstone, Sangotedo Ajah With 9.5m. C Of O

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.