Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,537 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:00 AM

Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject (16377 Views)

Guess The Subject / What Is The Most Useless Subject You Studied In Your Undergraduate Years / What Are The Subject Combination For Pure And Industrial Chemistry In Jamb? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by Brunicekid(m): 11:09am On May 29, 2019
MATHEMATICS: 5 TIPS ON HOW TO BE A BRIGHT (AND BRIGHTER) STUDENT IN THIS SUBJECT.

As a student, i have met many students in my Life who really don't like Mathematics at all. This has reflected in their 'not too impressive' performances. What then can be done to really reverse this trend?

Well, from my own personal experiences, i will be sharing five tips, which i call the, "CTPPI" tips to be better in Mathematics. The tips will certainly work for any other subject also in which you encounter similar challenges.

1.) \C\ Change your belief system:

Majority of students are of the opinion that Mathematics is a very hard subject. Hence, whenever they are to do anything related to this "subject", that fear is already programmed in their mind that the subject is difficult. It is certainly true that whether you are a Christian, Muslim or practice any other religion, you need to pray to God to help you to be better, but you also need to help yourself. Stand strong, be resolute, see this mathematics as a subject that you can tackle easily. Let your mind be rest assured that YOU CAN!

2.) \T\ Trace out why you have not been doing well:

Yes, your grade might have been so terrible in Mathematics (or any other subject), but have you ever calm down to know the reason why you have not been performing well?
One clear fact that i have understood in Life is that, once you understand the source of your failure very well, then it is most likely that you will be more equipped to tackle it more easily.
What you should do is to get a book, think properly (brainstorm), then write out those things you ought to have done but didn't do, that resulted to your poor performance.

3.) \P\ Practice very well:

One of the core reasons why students are not good in Maths, in which i have noticed over the years is that they refuse to practice their Maths exercise very well. There is this, "classroom syndrome", whereby they depend majorly on their notebooks and the lessons they can absorb from teachers in the classroom.

Ask yourself this question with a sincere heart, "how many minutes or hour(s) do i devote during my prep (reading) period to really practice those maths examples on my own?"

If your answer gives a low figure, then you need to sit right and start practicing very well! Indeed, the quote, "practice makes perfect" is very applicable in this regard.

It is when you sit down and practice those exercise that you will then realise the aspect you are not really good at in Maths, whether it is in Algebra, Statistics, Geometry, Trigonometry or in any other aspects. You can then go back to your teacher or meet with your fellow intelligent student(s) to explain those works to you. By so doing, with continual practice, the sky will be your starting point!

4.) \P\ Persistence is key:

When i talk about persistence, am referring to having a reading time plan and being constant with that schedule. Don't just do it once and relax.

Take a look at Sports like Football, Athletics, e.t.c. If those in the sporting activities are not persistent or consistent with their training (practice), then their level of success will be very minimal. This can also be compared to the academic world. It applies to knowing Mathematics also!

Back then in my early primary school days, i once had issues with Mathematics but through consistency with my practice, i became a very good student in Mathematics. You too can!

5.) \I\ Impact others:

In order for you to retain what you have (consistently) practiced in Mathematics faster, teach others!
Be willing to share what you know with your fellow classmates and students!

You don't need to have a NCE, B.Ed, or PGDE (for a non-education major student) to impact this knowledge. Teach it the best way you can, the way you understand!

By so doing, i have noticed that the brain retains what you have studied faster.

I DO HOPE THAT THESE FIVE PERSONAL TIPS WILL BE VERY HELPFUL TO STUDENTS OUT THERE WHO ARE HAVING PROBLEMS UNDERSTANDING AND PERFORMING EXCELLENTLY IN MATHEMATICS AND OTHER SUBJECTS ALSO.

Written by:
Ogunkayode, Oluwaseyi Simeon, AKA, Ogbeni Creative, Brunicekid.

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by Brunicekid(m): 10:34am On Oct 16, 2019
Mathematics is the easiest subject!!!

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by Divay22(f): 2:10pm On Oct 16, 2019
I can't.
If that'll save life, better i die.
I made an attempt to know mathematics years back, and anytime i got my calculations right I'll be so excited. I'll be so happy that I'll keep staring at my book and be like "so na you solve this maths "but it didn't last.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by Isoduwa(m): 3:08am On Oct 17, 2019
Brunicekid:

Who do you this?

Na English

1 Like

Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by Brunicekid(m): 10:42pm On Nov 17, 2019
Divay22:
I can't.
I made an attempt to know mathematics years back, and anytime i got my calculations right I'll be so excited. I'll be so happy that I'll keep staring at my book and be like "so na you solve this maths "but it didn't last.
Did you read through the tips i wrote

2 Likes

Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by Brunicekid(m): 10:43pm On Nov 17, 2019
Lalasticlala, Sun, Mods, please, move this to front page. Help hose who have Mathematics phobia.
Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by ylusunu83: 1:24pm On Nov 18, 2019
wow

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by sammysmiles(m): 1:25pm On Nov 18, 2019
W
Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by namiji2598: 1:25pm On Nov 18, 2019
nonsense maths

after the chemistry for four good years, now my new chemistry is money and the bond is hustle
Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by realstars: 1:25pm On Nov 18, 2019
If you know mathematics, you will be known, like, and cheerful,
In fact the most beautiful girls in school will fall for you if you are good in math.
That's the issues I was having, but with some of this tips, I will improve.

1 Like

Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by nairalee(m): 1:25pm On Nov 18, 2019
The only tip is if maths is relatable. Most of what we studied then were too obscure.

They keep asking Base, integer, binary etc. But ask relatable questions like deduct 500 naira from 50naira then Nnamdi will give an express answer

7 Likes

Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by AfonjaBoston: 1:26pm On Nov 18, 2019
I'd rather be a good physicist than a mathematician

I remember back in my university days I could write exams for my friends in Maths and computer departments but those crazy maths students can NEVER write a simple PHY 203 exams

1 Like

Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by Jh0wsef(m): 1:26pm On Nov 18, 2019
You have a business? Need good branding to get more audience? hey your logos, Business cards, eflyers, banners here! smiley check my signature.

Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by Jh0wsef(m): 1:26pm On Nov 18, 2019
I used to love maths in a way. but design ti take over ^o
Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by seunak2016: 1:27pm On Nov 18, 2019
have many textbook too

PS: practices past questions, latest n old past questions
Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by Jerrygotswagg(m): 1:27pm On Nov 18, 2019
If I’m offered 1million Naira to study Mathematics, lol .... I go add 500k join give the person 1.5M back

10 Likes

Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by Decolonel(m): 1:29pm On Nov 18, 2019
But wait oo, who maths epp?. All these students who used to score highest in maths that year, where are they?. Have they used their maths skills to calculate the exact time Jesus Christ will come?.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by Marvieduke(f): 1:29pm On Nov 18, 2019
Please I cannot come and kill myself onto solving mathematics, the only thing I should be calculating is Nigeria naira, American dollars, British pounds, and Chinese yen. Period!!!

5 Likes

Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by Mcuzy(m): 1:29pm On Nov 18, 2019
I couldn't even read everything because it was associated with math .I hate that subject !!!
Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by AfonjaBoston: 1:30pm On Nov 18, 2019
Marvieduke:
Please I cannot come and kill myself onto solving mathematics, the only thing I should be calculating is Nigeria naira, American dollars, British pounds, and Chinese yes. Period!!!

You need simple arithmetic to convert currencies
Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by Mcuzy(m): 1:32pm On Nov 18, 2019
Divay22:
I can't.
Me too . That subject is a serial killer
Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by bonnyhope: 1:33pm On Nov 18, 2019
Isoduwa:

Who do you this?

Na English

which english? is just a language
Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by Marvieduke(f): 1:33pm On Nov 18, 2019
AfonjaBoston:

You need simple arithmetic to convert currencies

Of course just addition, subtraction, division and multiplication that all.
Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by Divay22(f): 1:36pm On Nov 18, 2019
Mcuzy:
Me too . That subject is a serial killer
Mathematics join this cruel World we dey live,na die na.
I respect those that know it o. No be small thing dem dey do.

3 Likes

Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by bukatyne(f): 1:38pm On Nov 18, 2019
Decolonel:
But wait oo, who maths epp?. All these students who used to score highest in maths that year, where are they?. Have they used their maths skills to calculate the exact time Jesus Christ will come?.

Mathematics helps in analytics and problem solving skills.

I so much love Mathematics and English.

Strange bed fellows, I know.
Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by Thegoodone13(m): 1:40pm On Nov 18, 2019
Mathematics is my best subject

1 Like

Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by Imstrong2(m): 1:41pm On Nov 18, 2019
6.like the maths teacher... Of course you should know the kind of like am talking about for opposite sex conditions
Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by Guyman02: 1:42pm On Nov 18, 2019
Since May 29 this thread on mathematics that has potential to turn lives around is still on page 1, if they post something here on Bobrisky or Tacha by now it would be on page 20 sad

1 Like

Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by Mummyfour(f): 1:46pm On Nov 18, 2019
Brunicekid:
. You say wetin? angry angry.. the p7 I got in waec was probably because I wrote "pls sir/ ma help me,I have tried my best but honestly my brain is not accepting it. I could be your sister or daughter,God bless you". And boom!!! P7 on my result. It's a testimony. I keep encouraging my children not to be like me o. I dey fear calculator sef. Infact it's so bad that atimes I dey miscalculate dash people my money for market. I wanted to do science,but e no werk. I opted for arts instead.but my daughter is a guru,she reads maths like novel.

5 Likes

Re: Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject by Jaymoney5000(m): 1:46pm On Nov 18, 2019
Wizkid and davido are mathematicians

Forget mathematics and pursue your dreams joor!!!
Who mathematics help.....most of the mathematics professors we have today are living an average and poor life grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

JAMB Fixes New Date For Mock Exam / How To Calculate CGPA In Any University,polytechnic Or College / Education Graduates To Start One Year Internship - FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.