Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,473 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:40 PM

How Is It To Be A "white Wife" In Nigeria? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Is It To Be A "white Wife" In Nigeria? (1450 Views)

Pastor Catches Wife In Hotel With Choirmaster / Sex Secrets Of Nigerian Wife In The US Uploaded To Youtube / How Is It To Be A "White Wife" In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Is It To Be A "white Wife" In Nigeria? by angelUK25(f): 2:35pm On Sep 28, 2010
My partner is Nigerian and i am European. we have been together for over six years and we plan to soon marry. I have been to Nigeria quite a few times for five month periods at a time, i would stay longer but due to my visiting visa i cant. I travel back to my family alone as my partner as responsibility's within his family business. times are hard due to this as we are not settled but we do know we want to grow old together and have a family in the near future. once married i will live full time in Nija (Lagos) and just visit the UK for holidays.

I love Nigeria, it definitely has its own personality. I'm a very open minded person and willing to try new things in life. I know we are strong together and still getting stronger with the distance we have had to survive, I love his family dearly and i definitely get along 100percent and lovingly with his mum and sisters. I basically would like some honest replies on how you think a foreigner would adapt to the Nigerian culture, would i struggle with carers etc? would i ever become as independent as i am in my own country? (Not in the way off wanting to over power my partner off course hes my rock), I may be blonde but i do have some commen sense, I'm normally one for observing the situation before jumping in head first and i know there are Pro and cons about everything.

If you have any idea about how life is/could be for a "white wife" in Nigeria, in terms of daily life, social life, family etc.  I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks guys and god bless xx
Re: How Is It To Be A "white Wife" In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:14pm On Sep 28, 2010
//
Re: How Is It To Be A "white Wife" In Nigeria? by angelUK25(f): 3:46pm On Sep 28, 2010
grin Thanks for the praise hun, much appreciated.

Your advise i plan to do, I think finding my feet within someone elses company is what i shall do first before i begin opening a business off our own. i have a few plans and ideas but only time will tell if they are right for me.

Thanks again hunni, Take care Bleep cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: How Is It To Be A "white Wife" In Nigeria? by semid4lyfe(m): 8:05pm On Sep 28, 2010
I could have sworn I had come across exactly this thread before so I did a little digging. . .

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-323055.0.html
How Is It To Be A "White Wife" In Nigeria
Miss_Ife:

My husband is nigerian and i am european.  I am the one who talked about it first, as i really enjoyed nigeria when i went there, and I'd love to know his culture better, learn the language and I would of course like our kids to be comfortable in nigeria, and not to feel like strangers there. In terms of jobs, we could both keep working there. I think that living there could be a great experience for us as a family,  But as I only see the good side I am starting to wonder what could be the bad one?

Of course we will take time to think about it and I wish to visit more before taking the step but i'm sure your comments on the situation could help me to get ready.

If you have any idea about how life is/could be for a "white wife" in nigeria, in terms of daily life, social life, family etc.  i'd love to hear about it!

Thanks!  grin

angelUK25:

My partner is Nigerian and i am European. we have been together for over six years and we plan to soon marry. I have been to Nigeria quite a few times for five month periods at a time, i would stay longer but due to my visiting visa i cant. I travel back to my family alone as my partner as responsibility's within his family business. times are hard due to this as we are not settled but we do know we want to grow old together and have a family in the near future. once married i will live full time in Nija (Lagos) and just visit the UK for holidays.

I love Nigeria, it definitely has its own personality. I'm a very open minded person and willing to try new things in life. I know we are strong together and still getting stronger with the distance we have had to survive, I love his family dearly and i definitely get along 100percent and lovingly with his mum and sisters. I basically would like some honest replies on how you think a foreigner would adapt to the Nigerian culture, would i struggle with carers etc? would i ever become as independent as i am in my own country? (Not in the way off wanting to over power my partner off course hes my rock), I may be blonde but i do have some commen sense, I'm normally one for observing the situation before jumping in head first and i know there are Pro and cons about everything.

If you have any idea about how life is/could be for a "white wife" in Nigeria, in terms of daily life, social life, family etc.  I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks guys and god bless xx

Verdict: angelUK25 = Miss_Ife.
Re: How Is It To Be A "white Wife" In Nigeria? by angelUK25(f): 8:46pm On Sep 28, 2010
Sorry hun, but your VERDICT!! is WRONG!! tongue

AngelUK25 = AngelUK25 (just to inform i'm a newby to this site, so welcome arms would be appreciated lol)

Sorry for your wasted time xxxx
Re: How Is It To Be A "white Wife" In Nigeria? by semid4lyfe(m): 9:41pm On Sep 28, 2010
angelUK25:

Sorry hun, but your VERDICT!! is WRONG!!   tongue

AngelUK25 = AngelUK25 (just to inform i'm a newby to this site, so welcome arms would be appreciated lol)

Sorry for your wasted time xxxx

Continue forming newbie there. . .na you know.

How Come AngelUK25 and Mrs_Ife both titled a "Self-thought" Original thread "How To Be a "W[/b]hite Wife" In Nigeria?
[center][b]AND
[/center]
Started and ended the post with the exact same words which I highlighted above? Coincidence, right?

Funny thing is both write & post the same way.
Re: How Is It To Be A "white Wife" In Nigeria? by angelUK25(f): 9:48pm On Sep 28, 2010
?? And if i was the same person which I'm not, what would be your problem and concern

please I'm intrigued!!
Re: How Is It To Be A "white Wife" In Nigeria? by semid4lyfe(m): 10:00pm On Sep 28, 2010
Sorry o. . .nor vex.

Anyway, your questions/this issue. . .have/has been addressed on this thread.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-323055.0.html

You may want to visit it?

Sweet Dreams, my dumb blonde grin grin
Re: How Is It To Be A "white Wife" In Nigeria? by angelUK25(f): 10:08pm On Sep 28, 2010
Haha!! Like it, nice to see it rubbed out though lmao. tongue

Thanks Hun, Take care x
Re: How Is It To Be A "white Wife" In Nigeria? by Ndipe(m): 10:20pm On Sep 28, 2010
busted cheesy
Re: How Is It To Be A "white Wife" In Nigeria? by luap: 11:56pm On Sep 28, 2010
Why Nigeria? You have the whole world available. Every try Central or S. America? That place is nice.
Re: How Is It To Be A "white Wife" In Nigeria? by MissIfe(f): 7:37pm On Sep 29, 2010
OMG shocked

I also thought someone used my account and changed my name here on NL when I saw this thread wink

It's really funny how we wrote almost the same thing, a few months apart.

Our situation is a little different, though, it seems you are not yet married, are your fiance and yourself already living together? Otherwise you will have to handle a new marraige together with a new country, that might be hard work, settling in a new country has its challenges.

My husband and I already lived abroad together (in a country, even a part of the world that is neither his or mine originally), and we are currently in my home country in europe, next step, I hope, would be nigeria. I think travelling and settling in different countries gives us experience as how to adapt to a new environment (even going back home was a challenge to me, after so many years). As to nigeria specifically, I hope you will be giving me advices once you are there wink I am sure you can find support and advices through your embassy or some associations of people/women from UK in nigeria.

good luck with that!

p.s.: in which city do you plan to move? what kind of job do you intend on doing?
Re: How Is It To Be A "white Wife" In Nigeria? by angelUK25(f): 9:06pm On Sep 29, 2010
Well to be honest hunni when searching this site you was the one that inspired me to write this peace, so pinched your heading  shocked  grin. but with me being new to this site i didn't think it would be a big deal but i now know that maybe this shouldn't of been done, hence above lol.  kiss

Yes Hun, we are not yet married but soon plan to be, we have lived together in the UK and when i travel to Nija we live together as i come for 5 month periods at a time, but with my status i have to travel back for visa reasons, so there is some separation at times. It's not been a walk in the park but we know what we both want and strong enough to work for it.

I'm in the same/similar situation as you when being in Nigeria we love it, but i also have to take in consideration I'm unable to work while I'm there until my permanent stay starts and there is still alot for me to learn. So will this enjoyment i feel while I'm there stay?? this is my reason for my posting, will we survive as well as a Nigerian??

I would love to keep intouch and keep you informed with my process vice-versa, i live in Lagos when I'm there and yourself? and if you are on Facebook there is a group i came across today that looks very interesting called Nigerwives Nigeria - foreign wives of Nigerians take a look. sorry if my first post botherd you, wasn't my intention too.  kiss

Good luck with everything hun and hopefully speak soon.
God bless Bleep  cheesy
Re: How Is It To Be A "white Wife" In Nigeria? by semid4lyfe(m): 7:53am On Sep 30, 2010
AngelUK25, my dumb blonde. . .your sin of plagiarism has been forgiven grin grin

If I may ask, what exactly do you do in the UK. . .as in what's your line of work?
Re: How Is It To Be A "white Wife" In Nigeria? by angelUK25(f): 10:01am On Sep 30, 2010
Ha!! why, thank you, kind Sir lol tongue

To be honest I'd rather not disclose, not to be rude but I'm not all sure i want people to know who i am (small world). but please continue with where this was going, any guidance or advice would be much appreciated.

Bleep grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Bleep
Re: How Is It To Be A "white Wife" In Nigeria? by Big2bore(m): 12:55pm On Sep 30, 2010
My lady, first from which part of the country is your man from? my advise to you!! Be ready to make alot of adjustment. If you can i guaranty you will not regret it.
Re: How Is It To Be A "white Wife" In Nigeria? by semid4lyfe(m): 4:28pm On Sep 30, 2010
angelUK25:

Ha!! why, thank you, kind Sir lol  tongue

To be honest I'd rather not disclose, not to be rude but I'm not all sure i want people to know who i am (small world). but please continue with where this was going, any guidance or advice would be much appreciated.

Bleep grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Bleep

Ok, no problem. . .I understand! By the way, I've got nothing against "white" women. Just wanted to rough you up to see how you'll react and you passed with flying colours. tongue

Hmmm. . .since you've stayed in Lagos for 5 months @ a stretch, you should be used to the weather & the traffic by now. Most peeps will be deferential towards you and generally treat you well.

Hope all those your suitcases filled with clothes & personal stuff arrive here safely grin grin Leaves the thread wondering what kinda work she does that she can afford to leave it to come and stay in Nigeria for 5 months @ a stretch. grin grin

Enjoy your stay in Nigeria!
Re: How Is It To Be A "white Wife" In Nigeria? by angelUK25(f): 5:32pm On Sep 30, 2010
Haha!! phew!! I cant tell you how pleased i am to have passed that  tongue i thought the dumb would off stuck lol (not that i totally disagreed with you hehe!)

Regards to the last tiny comment, my reply to that would be that I'm a very lucky lady when it comes to my position in the UK, the place is not the same without me so I'm always welcomed back with open arms cheesy lol. I just pray i find a friendly and successful place like that in Lagos before i venture on my own.  grin

Thanks for your time and humour Hun, god bless x
Re: How Is It To Be A "white Wife" In Nigeria? by donyomi(f): 2:09pm On Oct 06, 2010
@Poster

Living in Nigeria/Lagos can be a fun/nice experience. Try to blend in as quickly as you can. Be nice but somewhat slow in making friends because people will try to exploit you.

Be ready/welcoming to the move, i think you'll like the experience. (Do you speak pidgin english)

Lots of people speak that here and you'll do well if you understand it. its like normal english with some variance.

Hope this helps!
Re: How Is It To Be A "white Wife" In Nigeria? by Nwaka77: 12:02am On Oct 08, 2010
luap:

Why Nigeria? You have the whole world available. Every try Central or S. America? That place is nice.

Did you miss the part where she said that her husband-to-be is a Nigerian and that her husband-to-be has a family business he is responsible for? South America maybe nice but some people are not trying to go through the hassle of learning a new language especially as an adult! If she wanted to live in South America I am sure she could have hooked up with some South American and moved there ASAP. That is like me asking, why you an american are on a Nigerian forum when you could be hibernating amongst your fellow americans or an american forum. Gerrit? undecided

(1) (Reply)

I Need Advice Oooooooooooo. / How Would One Cope? / Why Do Ladies Change Their Phone Number After Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.