Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,413 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other (22500 Views)

Buhari Declines Assent To Five More Bills - Thisday Newspaper / President Buhari Declines Assent To NOSDRA Amendment Bill / Buhari Declines Assent To Corporate Manslaughter Bill, 3 Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by Awoo88: 8:07pm On May 31, 2019
rusher14:

You mean those that have been cursing him for years?

Since the creation of Rivers state, Amaechi has been the best governor bar none, and what does he get in return? Curses every day.

In 2015, many of you were against his emergence as minister. For 4 years, all you've done is deride him.
When he sought loans for rail lines, many of you harangued and barked at him, saying no loan should be given.

He was able to finance a loan for the sw.

The rail is there for all to see.

Continue with your bring him down attitude.

He would be re-employed as a minister in this new cabinet and he would work diligently.

Make no mistake, he would not stick his neck out for ingrates and traducers.
Who be dis presumptuous ignoramus?
Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by cyberguy72(m): 8:15pm On May 31, 2019
dingbang:
Too many universities already, no jobs. I support buhari on this one
MUMU
Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by Shikini: 8:19pm On May 31, 2019
Agugbadin:

The maritime University is up and running already and should be self funding

How will it survive with no law backing its establishment?
Would Buhari have withheld assent if this University were to be in Katsina?
Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by lamby(m): 8:30pm On May 31, 2019
Datazone:
Is this not the same university that was built on a controversial expanse of land? Government should settle dispute amicably rather than prolong the inevitable. The land in question was acquired illegally by the federal government (GEJ) through the state government (Uduaghan) to build this university on a controversial land. Controversial because the Itsekiris own the land originally but the Ijaws forcefully took control of it during the Crisis.

Why open ya mouth to spew this rubbish when you clearly know nothing about the history of these people and their lands

I cant believe someone can confidently try to enlighten others about something he knows next to nothing about.

Tell me where were the itsekiris when the yar adua government was bombarding and bombing okerenkoko in order to flush out Tompolo. Were the itsekiris not clapping. Why didnt they cry out that the government is bombing their community if indeed okerenkoko is theirs.

Dont tell the home town of Tompolo is an itsekiri land.

A maritime university is sited there now and suddenly the mischief making itsekiris start their antics claiming other people's home by paid newspaper adverts whose aim is clearly to stop the institution from taking off because it's not on their land

And you come here to re-echo their false claims while making it look like you are an Authority.

Tell me Mr. Authority have you been to okerenkoko before.
Can you mention the names of any neighboring towns and villages.

Definitely you cant

So dont come here and propagate falsehood.

Rubbish

1 Like

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by Reference(m): 8:36pm On May 31, 2019
DP.
Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by Reference(m): 8:39pm On May 31, 2019
Nice. I like that. And I hope it will anger those in the Niger Delta that see this Federal structure as suitable to purpose. Talk of a man living by the riverside and washing his hands with spittle. If the resources were to be domiciled in the regions who will bother asking for permission to establish an institition critical to its development. This system is just too overbearing and I hope the pain of disappointment will reflect in the next polls of 2023.
Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by mistijude: 8:44pm On May 31, 2019
MorufuAtanda:
Amaechi is a monster, that guy is ready to kill off his own people just to look good to his paymaster. The East must be wary of him and ensure that when Buhari goes, Rotimi is never allowed to come near position where he can determine the fate of people in that region.
You mean East must be wary of him or what?Is Rotimi Amaechi now from the East?Why is it that must people from the East always find it hard to know their geographical boundary?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by habakukjss3: 8:44pm On May 31, 2019
easyhacq:
President Muhammadu Buhari has declined assent to a bill seeking the establishment of Nigeria Maritime University in Okerenkoko Delta State.

The decision was conveyed to the Senate in a letter on Thursday.

Mr Buhari stated the excessive proposed source of funding for the institution as the major reason for his decline.

“I am declining my assent to the bill because the funding provisions are grossly excessive and will disrupt the operation of a number of government agencies and institutions,” the letter reads.

Similarly, the president in another letter informed the lawmakers he would not assent to the Institute of Chartered Biochemist and Molecular Biologist Bill.

The letter reads, “Pursuant to Section 58 (4) of the 1999 constitution as amended, I hereby convey to the Senate my decision on 25th May 2019 to decline presidential assent to the Institute of Chartered Biochemist and Molecular Biologist Bill 2019. I am declining my assent to the bill because of:

a. There is already an existing chartered institute biochemist of Nigeria established pursuant to CAP 1(12) laws of the federation of Nigeria which has a similar mandate and function to the proposed Chartered Biochemist and Molecular Biologist

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/332499-buhari-declines-assent-to-maritime-university-bill-one-other.html
The pot-belly slowpoke called Amechi Rotimi should be held responsible.. He forestalled it for selfish reason...Kachukwu.. Over to you
Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by Badmus122(m): 8:59pm On May 31, 2019
I think this about winding up nass is an insult to Nigeria citizens home and abroad ,majority of them will just say to irrelevant bills because they hate the president forgetting that the president is an intelligent man that will scrutinise from page to page before putting pen to it .it is not our drunking master that assent to bill that sent him to back to otuoke .buhari your next level will cataport me to my altitude inshallahu

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by luvinhubby(m): 9:10pm On May 31, 2019
seunmsg:

It’s either you’re poorly educated and don’t understand my post and the president’s submission or you’re being plainly mischievous. The maritime university is already operating and nobody is against it as government is already funding its operation. The bill is to give it a strong legal backing and nothing else. We cannot keep creating rent seeking institutions simply because we think we have so much money. The university will be funded just like any other university without a special arrangement to milk other government agencies.

Up and running, albeit without a legal backing and not at full capacity.
Specialized institutions like that are funded by organisations that benefits from then. At a point(possibly till date) PTI Effurrun Warri was funded directly by NNPC. If agencies benefiting from them are taxed to fund, wouldn't that reduce the bureaucracy and burden of government funding? I guess that is difficult for you to comprehend.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by MorufuAtanda: 9:30pm On May 31, 2019
mistijude:
You mean East must be wary of him or what?Is Rotimi Amaechi now from the East?Why is it that must people from the East always find it hard to know their geographical boundary?

My dear Yoruba Muslim brother, when you mention 'East', the Hausa man and even we Yoruba all think about Emekas from Delta, Anambra down to Rivers. Yes that truth!

Even the naval command that parades Onitsha river Niger waters down to PH even to Calabar is called Eastern naval command. No maritime compass has 'south-south' on it is compass.

Omo Ibo is Omo Ibo whether from Delta or from Enugu. Stop deceiving your Ogbomosho skull online. grin grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by Nobody: 9:50pm On May 31, 2019
lamby:

Why open ya mouth to spew this rubbish when you clearly know nothing about the history of these people and their lands

I cant believe someone can confidently try to enlighten others about something he knows next to nothing about.

Tell me where were the itsekiris when the yar adua government was bombarding and bombing okerenkoko in order to flush out Tompolo. Were the itsekiris not clapping. Why didnt they cry out that the government is bombing their community if indeed okerenkoko is theirs.

Dont tell the home town of Tompolo is an itsekiri land.

A maritime university is sited there now and suddenly the mischief making itsekiris start their antics claiming other people's home by paid newspaper adverts whose aim is clearly to stop the institution from taking off because it's not on their land

And you come here to re-echo their false claims while making it look like you are an Authority.

Tell me Mr. Authority have you been to okerenkoko before.
Can you mention the names of any neighboring towns and villages.

Definitely you cant

So dont come here and propagate falsehood.

Rubbish
You're a big fool who knows nothing about history apart from what your illiterate and ignorant people have been peddling in recent years. First, tompolo is not from Okerenghigo (or Okerenkoko, as you guys mischievously claim) and, secondly, the JTF didn't attack the aforementioned town but rather oporoza and the rest hideouts of miscreants and hooligans. In case you don't know, until late 90s, there's no map in the world that recognize a place called Okerenkoko. I can show proof of Atlas map dating back to 1900 where the said piece of land is referred to as Okerenghigo. Ijaws are troublemakers and illiterates at that, they don't know how to argue. Please, reply with proof that the land in question is Okerenkoko as you foolishly claim. If you don't, I'll provide Atlas map with proof that the land situated in Delta State was/is referred to as Okerenghigo even before you were born. Thanks my friend
Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by mistijude: 9:55pm On May 31, 2019
MorufuAtanda:

My dear Yoruba Muslim brother, when you mention 'East', the Hausa man and even we Yoruba all think about Emekas from Delta, Anambra down to Rivers. Yes that truth!

Even the naval command that parades Onitsha river Niger waters down to PH even to Calabar is called Eastern naval command. No maritime compass has 'south-south' on it is compass.

Omo Ibo is Omo Ibo whether from Delta or from Enugu. Stop deceiving your Ogbomosho skull online. grin grin
lol....weldone,if you see me one on one,I hope you will say sorry for the above comment.
Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by Shikini: 10:10pm On May 31, 2019
Terrible
Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by LordviccoDaGuru(m): 10:27pm On May 31, 2019
NEXTLEVEL
Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by SirBunky85(m): 10:29pm On May 31, 2019
RTSC:
What has amaechi done for his people in four years?
what did Jonathan do for bayelsans?
Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by swetjo(f): 10:31pm On May 31, 2019
Before the general elections ,they showed interest in kick starting the activities at university .
Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by bakar007: 12:18am On Jun 01, 2019
Datazone:
Is this not the same university that was built on a controversial expanse of land? Government should settle dispute amicably rather than prolong the inevitable. The land in question was acquired illegally by the federal government (GEJ) through the state government (Uduaghan) to build this university on a controversial land. Controversial because the Itsekiris own the land originally but the Ijaws forcefully took control of it during the Crisis.
Kindly be wise and speak about what you know when commenting on public platform, abeg lecture me about the history of that place and one itsekiri person known to have live there
Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by MrSly(m): 12:29am On Jun 01, 2019
dingbang:
Too many universities already, no jobs. I support buhari on this one
Universities too much. 1.9m took jamb and not up to 800k will secure admission even if all of them pass. Are you given to blindness or cut off from educational realities in Nigeria?
Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by Nobody: 1:15am On Jun 01, 2019
bakar007:

Kindly be wise and speak about what you know when commenting on public platform, abeg lecture me about the history of that place and one itsekiri person known to have live there
A typical Ijaw man, they lack the exposure to argue without fault. This is an example of a bad argument. Going by your premise, if I said Egyptians live in Egypt, I'll have to name an Egyptian I know, possibly tie him and drag him to you before you can accept it as valid. Let me tell you, until 1990 there's no place called Okerenkoko in the world map or Nigerian map. I can provide solid proof and images of Atlas map dating back to 1900, you'll see Okerenghigo ( the Itsekiri name for the place) boldly written on it. You know, Gbaramatu as a Kingdom was established in the 1990s. During the crisis and struggle, the Ijaws mischievously grabbed the land and renamed it. Search on Google, you'll see an article addressed by AGF of Nigeria, Malami, pressuring the Government to do the right thing. If you think you have the mental standing to challenge me to a fact finding mission, I'll welcome you to provide proof that Ijaws own the land and the supposed name is Okerenkoko (fictitious though) otherwise shut up and let this issue die a natural death.
Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by amuwo1980: 5:27am On Jun 01, 2019
seunmsg:

He didn’t withhold assent because there are too many universities already. He refused to sign the bill because of the excessive funding provisions which will affect the operations of other government agencies and institutions. I have not seen the details of the bill but from previous bills passed by the 8th assembly, I can bet the bill attempts to charge various agencies in the maritime sector about 1-5% of annual revenue as contribution to the university.

The National Assembly by now should have learnt that Buhari will not sign any bill that attempts to create a rent seeking institution. 21st century universities should be designed in such a way as to be self funding and not to be rent seeking.
Self funding like the transport institute in daura that have been at the fore front of research, pity yourself black man.
Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by Shikini: 7:00am On Jun 01, 2019
This country is doomed
Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by bfjuliusyahoo(m): 8:51am On Jun 01, 2019
Get trained by professionals and work in the oil and gas industry and get paid in dollars
Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by orisa37: 9:47am On Jun 01, 2019
These Bills do not conform to Bokoharam's ideology.
Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by Shikini: 9:54am On Jun 01, 2019
Nigeria is lost
Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by Livingjahguy: 8:56am On Jun 02, 2019
Paperwhite:
While Rotimi Amaechi has given the president the impetus by his refusal to even allow a feasibility study of the Maritime University, the idiot went ahead to plant a Transport University in Buhari's home town of Daura.

After Buhari wards/aides/cronies have hijacked the CCRCC Railway Scholarship he will still not give a hoot about a needful Maritime Univ.in Delta State.Yet Buhari said there is unity in diversity.You see foolishness?

Foolishness of the highest order. But Amechi will one day know he has been chasing the wind by selling out his own.
He might remain in Abuja for life but his Ikwere Ubima thick bush people will forever be hurt by his singular foolish actions. Evil politics of selfishness, Nepotism, Hatred and Ego.
Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by lamby(m): 9:53am On Jun 02, 2019
Datazone:

You're a big fool who knows nothing about history apart from what your illiterate and ignorant people have been peddling in recent years. First, tompolo is not from Okerenghigo (or Okerenkoko, as you guys mischievously claim) and, secondly, the JTF didn't attack the aforementioned town but rather oporoza and the rest hideouts of miscreants and hooligans. In case you don't know, until late 90s, there's no map in the world that recognize a place called Okerenkoko. I can show proof of Atlas map dating back to 1900 where the said piece of land is referred to as Okerenghigo. Ijaws are troublemakers and illiterates at that, they don't know how to argue. Please, reply with proof that the land in question is Okerenkoko as you foolishly claim. If you don't, I'll provide Atlas map with proof that the land situated in Delta State was/is referred to as Okerenghigo even before you were born. Thanks my friend

Because the ijaw are illiterates and therefore easily oppressed you and your itsekiri kinsmen seem it right to claim their lands with the help of government connections and doctoring of documents.

Go ahead and show your proof but also show me the proof before the establishment of the university on the form of a court case or petition where the itsekiris filed a case of an hijack of their town named okerenkoko
Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by Nobody: 11:09am On Jun 02, 2019
lamby:

Because the ijaw are illiterates and therefore easily oppressed you and your itsekiri kinsmen seem it right to claim their lands with the help of government connections and doctoring of documents.

Go ahead and show your proof but also show me the proof before the establishment of the university on the form of a court case or petition where the itsekiris filed a case of an hijack of their town named okerenkoko
Before I start, are you from Delta State or you are simply fighting blindly based on hearsays ? Also, the statement "Because the ijaw are illiterates and therefore easily oppressed you and your itsekiri kinsmen seem it right to claim their lands" was written without full understanding of the whole issue on ground. The land was acquired dubiously by your brother, GEJ, how then did the Itsekiris oppress your people?

Lastly, "Go ahead and show your proof but also show me the proof before the establishment of the university on the form of a court case or petition"

I have attached the pic of the Atlas map below, you can search for it on their website to check for its authenticity. For the statement regarding petition before the university, I want to quickly drag you back to the Gelegele (Ijaw vs Bini) land tussle in Edo State sometime in 2017 (use Google to clarify). It was when the FG wanted to build a port there the Ijaws sprang into action like men possessed, the Itsekiris are employing same tactics and you're complaining. WHY? You see your hatred for them is making you sound unintelligent? Lastly, I want to say that even if it takes 200 years to speak up, let justice prevail however it wants to. The supreme Court judgement wasn't made in 2017, in case you don't know. It was made earlier than 2010 or so. The Itsekiris are wise, they need the Government ears to do the right thing, what better time to refer to the outstanding judgment than now when the government's weight is on the said piece of land? Be wise in your dealings my friend.

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by lamby(m): 7:33am On Jun 08, 2019
Datazone:

Before I start, are you from Delta State or you are simply fighting blindly based on hearsays ? Also, the statement "Because the ijaw are illiterates and therefore easily oppressed you and your itsekiri kinsmen seem it right to claim their lands" was written without full understanding of the whole issue on ground. The land was acquired dubiously by your brother, GEJ, how then did the Itsekiris oppress your people?

Lastly, "Go ahead and show your proof but also show me the proof before the establishment of the university on the form of a court case or petition"

I have attached the pic of the Atlas map below, you can search for it on their website to check for its authenticity. For the statement regarding petition before the university, I want to quickly drag you back to the Gelegele (Ijaw vs Bini) land tussle in Edo State sometime in 2017 (use Google to clarify). It was when the FG wanted to build a port there the Ijaws sprang into action like men possessed, the Itsekiris are employing same tactics and you're complaining. WHY? You see your hatred for them is making you sound unintelligent? Lastly, I want to say that even if it takes 200 years to speak up, let justice prevail however it wants to. The supreme Court judgement wasn't made in 2017, in case you don't know. It was made earlier than 2010 or so. The Itsekiris are wise, they need the Government ears to do the right thing, what better time to refer to the outstanding judgment than now when the government's weight is on the said piece of land? Be wise in your dealings my friend.

The internet is your friend when it comes to making research.
A quick search for okerenghigo on Google leads no where apart from the purported claims of name change by the ijaws.
Another search for okerenkoko leads to numerous results some of which detail clearly how okerenkoko was bombarded by the JTF as I early mentioned but you refuted as being oporoza.

Below are some links for your perusal.

A shell EIA report of 1995 of the area mentioning communities

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.shell.com.ng/content/dam/shell-new/local/country/nga/downloads/pdf/jones-creek-eia-report.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjZjLL2l9niAhXzShUIHWT5AU8QFjAQegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw3qoE7CC84wCo4HlyWT4Ckx

Go to page 33 of the report

Note that Omadino is the only community owned by itsekiris here. Also note that the itsekiris claim to okerenghigo is an omadino community.
Page 115 points to jerries built by Ompadec at okerenkoko

Books (Oil and Insurgency in Niger Delta) mentioning okerenkoko instead of okerenghigo

https://books.google.com/books/about/Oil_and_Insurgency_in_the_Niger_Delta.html?id=_hVjDgAAQBAJ

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2009/05/tens-thousands-caught-crossfire-niger-delta-fighting-20090521/

Tens of thousands caught in crossfire in Niger Delta fighting | Amnesty International
https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2009/05/tens-thousands-caught-crossfire-niger-delta-fighting-20090521/

NNPC And Floating Mega Stations - :::...The Tide News Online:::...
http://www.thetidenewsonline.com/2011/02/02/nnpc-and-floating-mega-stations/

LawPavilion Electronic Law Report (LPELR) - CHIEF MARTHA UDUSEGBE & ORS. V. SHELL PETROLEUM DEVELOPMENT COMPANY NIGERIA LTD & ORS.
http://www.lawpavilionpersonal.com/lawreportsummary_ca.jsp?suite=olabisi@9thfloor&pk=CA/B/168/2004&apk=47363

Surely if there was a place like okerenghigo before we wont be greeted by such sparse results from a Google search.

Please prove me wrong

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria At 60: We Have Cracks That May Break Us - Osinbajo / Okada Ban: Lagos Stakeholders Settle For Overall Enforcement In All LGAs / APC Visits Obasanjo Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.