Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,464 members, 7,819,689 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:05 PM

More Photos & Facts Of The Two Sisters Who Married Oba Of Benin, Ewuare II - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / More Photos & Facts Of The Two Sisters Who Married Oba Of Benin, Ewuare II (19541 Views)

Oba Of Benin, Ewuare And His 4 Wives Pictured During Ugie Ododua Ceremony / Oba Of Benin, Ewuare 5 Wives At His 2nd Coronation Anniversary / 'Ososomaye' Juju Used By The Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, To Revoke Curses (Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: More Photos & Facts Of The Two Sisters Who Married Oba Of Benin, Ewuare II by Binikingdowm: 9:45pm On Jun 01, 2019
MetaPhysical:
Sleeping with siblings is an abomination in any land, in any culture and in any religion. It is a matrimonial taboo. I doubt the story but if indeed this happened then it erodes all the super-natural myth erected around this king.

What I noticed and found profound is seeing the supposedly very private king exhibiting the privacy of his most private affairs to the outside world. He might as well break the "Oba no dey travel" taboo and do what other kings have been doing.....travel more outside his enclave and fraternize, the days of some emperor locked in hibernation behind the city wall is far gone!
this useless Yoruba Man always intimidated because of Benin culture. Too bad your worthless tribe will never measure up to 1 tenth of its greatness.

Keep hating behind social media, at least we aren't that useless ooni that goes around collecting brown envelope from governors and rich men.

Ethnic group of slaves, spit

1 Like

Re: More Photos & Facts Of The Two Sisters Who Married Oba Of Benin, Ewuare II by Binikingdowm: 9:46pm On Jun 01, 2019
MetaPhysical:

The Bini tradition is frozen in time. Such myths about Oba wives and many other ones they wave around might be relevant in 1500....in this 21st century it's nothing but a high-falluting!
this is Yoruba tradition.
Skull mining

1 Like

Re: More Photos & Facts Of The Two Sisters Who Married Oba Of Benin, Ewuare II by Binikingdowm: 9:48pm On Jun 01, 2019
KingOfAllIgbos:

Don't mind the fools who keep saying "Oba no dey travel"

He no dey travel, but he prefers incest
and ooni prefers collecting brown envelope from every tom dick and harry while the alafin has PhD in bleaching

1 Like

Re: More Photos & Facts Of The Two Sisters Who Married Oba Of Benin, Ewuare II by KingOfAllIgbos: 9:52pm On Jun 01, 2019
Binikingdowm:
and ooni prefers collecting brown envelope from every tom dick and harry while the alafin has PhD in bleaching

Cry more. It's amusing cheesy

Re: More Photos & Facts Of The Two Sisters Who Married Oba Of Benin, Ewuare II by Binikingdowm: 9:56pm On Jun 01, 2019
KingOfAllIgbos:

Cry more. It's amusing cheesy
it's funny how you Yoruba people are more concerned about what other ethnic group are doing while your own king is their disgracing Yoruba and calling Yoruba slaves and oduduwa Igbo.

We all know the ooni is a boy to tinubu and will do whatever tinubu tells him. Your tribe propaganda against Benin culture will never work

1 Like

Re: More Photos & Facts Of The Two Sisters Who Married Oba Of Benin, Ewuare II by KingOfAllIgbos: 10:32pm On Jun 01, 2019
Binikingdowm:
[s] it's funny how you Yoruba people are more concerned about what other ethnic group are doing while your own king is their disgracing Yoruba and calling Yoruba slaves and oduduwa Igbo.

We all know the ooni is a boy to tinubu and will do whatever tinubu tells him. Your tribe propaganda against Benin culture will never work[/s]

The longer and more emotional the response, the more the pain suffered - King of ALL Igbo's 1st Law of Savagery tongue

I need one more bucket of fresh hot tears, you can do it grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: More Photos & Facts Of The Two Sisters Who Married Oba Of Benin, Ewuare II by Nobody: 11:51pm On Jun 01, 2019
Firstorderwizard:
African tradition only revolves around sex,marriage, fetish ritual and violence.
I have a black skin but I'm not a black man and I can never be.

Mental and intellectual slavery is real
I feel so sorry for you darling
Especially as I am sure you are sure you know what you are saying cry
You need to delearn, unlearn entrapment and relearn freedom and authenticity
Re: More Photos & Facts Of The Two Sisters Who Married Oba Of Benin, Ewuare II by YoungLionken(m): 5:44am On Jun 02, 2019
jerryunit48:
Am not a Bini guy but I heard that it is not easy to see the teeth of the wife of Oba that is why they cover mouth with a piece of white cloth , have they changed the tradition?
Yes, they have and alot of other things too.
Re: More Photos & Facts Of The Two Sisters Who Married Oba Of Benin, Ewuare II by Jaypoint: 1:13pm On Jun 03, 2019
MetaPhysical:
Sleeping with siblings is an abomination in any land, in any culture and in any religion. It is a matrimonial taboo. I doubt the story but if indeed this happened then it erodes all the super-natural myth erected around this king.

What I noticed and found profound is seeing the supposedly very private king exhibiting the privacy of his most private affairs to the outside world. He might as well break the "Oba no dey travel" taboo and do what other kings have been doing.....travel more outside his enclave and fraternize, the days of some emperor locked in hibernation behind the city wall is far gone!

Advertising once ignorance is not a virtue. Ten minutes with Google would have helped you to learn that Oba Ewuare the 1st, c.1450, married 2 sisters, Oyoyo and Ewere, the latter of which is immortalized in today's Ewere festival of Edo people.
Re: More Photos & Facts Of The Two Sisters Who Married Oba Of Benin, Ewuare II by macof(m): 11:32pm On Jun 03, 2019
MetaPhysical:

There was never any "ọba no dey travel" taboo

Ọbas of Bini have been traveling since Oranmiyan founded the dynasty

Obas just age on the throne till they can't travel.
And kings can marry anybody outside their own family in most cultures... Yoruba and Edo included
Re: More Photos & Facts Of The Two Sisters Who Married Oba Of Benin, Ewuare II by MetaPhysical: 12:49am On Jun 05, 2019
macof:

There was never any "ọba no dey travel" taboo

Ọbas of Bini have been traveling since Oranmiyan founded the dynasty

Obas just age on the throne till they can't travel.
And kings can marry anybody outside their own family in most cultures... Yoruba and Edo included

Yoruba culture does not support marrying siblings. In fact the reason that Yoruba do "ida ana" (familiarity with inlaws) is partly to explore past connections, exchanges and make sure the new bethrothal is permissible and does not cross lines of what is disallowed.

On a non travelling Oba, some people in an online discussion had attempted to ascribe same f00lish attribute to Ooni as the Edos do to Omo n'Oba by suggesting that on the occassion he had to travel to to Lagos and mediate on the issue of dynasties and beaded crowns he was actually in contravention of tradition and culture and an Ooni must not travel. That was bullchyte and I shut it down with a good measure bullchyte in their face.

In that event it was reported that all Obas in Yorubaland vacated palace and would not return to throne until Ooni was safely back on his throne. There are hundreds of Obas that must have done that simple task. How did they know what to do when they heard of their Ooni taking a trip? Its because the culture had a process for such traditional rites. So it must be the practice otherwise Obas would not have known what is required of the occassion.

Glorification of the Benin stool has taken many dimensions echoed up and down the soclai strata from most educated Edo to the most ignorant urchin and they all seem to agree that their Oba does not travel, traditionally. So we have on records Oba of Benin travelling to meet and participate in a congregation of Yoruba Obas.

An Oba will break tradition for a higher hierarchy. An Oba whose tradition forbids travel except to attend meeting with Ooni suggests he is submitting to a hierarchy greater than his tradition. This should be accepted, if nothing else to prove, as acknowledgement of the Supremacy of Ooni over Omo n'Oba.
Re: More Photos & Facts Of The Two Sisters Who Married Oba Of Benin, Ewuare II by macof(m): 1:33am On Jun 05, 2019
MetaPhysical:

Yoruba culture does not support marrying siblings. In fact the reason that Yoruba do "ida ana" (familiarity with inlaws) is partly to explore past connections, exchanges and make sure the new bethrothal is permissible and does not cross lines of what is disallowed.

On a non travelling Oba, some people in an online discussion had attempted to ascribe same f00lish attribute to Ooni as the Edos do to Omo n'Oba by suggesting that on the occassion he had to travel to to Lagos and mediate on the issue of dynasties and beaded crowns he was actually in contravention of tradition and culture and an Ooni must not travel. That was bullchyte and I shut it down with a good measure bullchyte in their face.

In that event it was reported that all Obas in Yorubaland vacated palace and would not return to throne until Ooni was safely back on his throne. There are hundreds of Obas that must have done that simple task. How did they know what to do when they heard of their Ooni taking a trip? Its because the culture had a process for such traditional rites. So it must be the practice otherwise Obas would not have known what is required of the occassion.

Glorification of the Benin stool has taken many dimensions echoed up and down the soclai strata from most educated Edo to the most ignorant urchin and they all seem to agree that their Oba does not travel, traditionally. So we have on records Oba of Benin travelling to meet and participate in a congregation of Yoruba Obas.

An Oba will break tradition for a higher hierarchy. An Oba whose tradition forbids travel except to attend meeting with Ooni suggests he is submitting to a hierarchy greater than his tradition. This should be accepted, if nothing else to prove, as acknowledgement of the Supremacy of Ooni over Omo n'Oba.

I have long stopped arguing on this forum.
It is a culture that allows you marry your brother's or father's widow that cannot allow a king marry two sisters? A king who can "gbẹsẹ lè" (claim) any woman? Lmao OK

Ọọ̀ni traditionally/historically does not travel. First time it happened was at duress from the British administration. And that prompted other Obas to leave their palaces
Oba of Bini on the other hand have always been traveling
Re: More Photos & Facts Of The Two Sisters Who Married Oba Of Benin, Ewuare II by MetaPhysical: 1:49am On Jun 05, 2019
macof:

I have long stopped arguing on this forum.
It is a culture that allows you marry your brother's or father's widow that cannot allow a king marry two sisters? A king who can "gbẹsẹ lè" (claim) any woman? Lmao OK

Ọọ̀ni traditionally/historically does not travel. First time it happened was at duress from the British administration. And that prompted other Obas to leave their palaces
Oba of Bini on the other hand have always been traveling

Oba gbesele is not absolute! The inferrence is Oba having first right of interest in a woman, not necessarily claiming any woman. If your statement is correct an Oba would gbesele his own mother, aunt, sister, daughter. Please be measured and not give interpretation broadly to that phrase. It is true Oba can gbesele but there are fences around that. Oba's adversaries and opponents often loose their wives to Oba as a show of public humiliation and harassment....and the husband has no recourse in court. Mothers, sisters, aunts, siblings are no go areas...and is because of genetic orders.

No sir....that invite from colonials is the first time it is written and distributed widely that Ooni travelled out of palace. Thats not first time in history the Ooni would travel. They kept stables in Ooni palace. There are ancient Ife arts with a crowned head on mounted back.

I agree with you....but i have come to accept that i gain by engaging some people even if our view points are opposed because they share tangibles that add to my knowledge. I ignore many more because they are incapable of advancing my knowledge.
Re: More Photos & Facts Of The Two Sisters Who Married Oba Of Benin, Ewuare II by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jun 07, 2019
undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! / Iru Kingdom: The End Of A Dominating Dynasty / Oluwo Of Iwo Starts The Rehabilitation Of Iwo-osogbo Road (see Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.