Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,239 members, 7,815,324 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

Save The Music - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Save The Music (254 Views)

Teni-save-the-day-download Mp3 / Omawumi – “in The Music” (download Mp3) / A New Born Baby In The Music Industry "Compass To Song Writing" For Every Music (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Save The Music by mightiersa: 5:31am On Jun 01, 2019
SAVE THE MUSIC

Nigeria entertainment industry is highly saturated with a lot of artistes with diversifying styles of presentation. The musical aspect of Nigeria entertainment is of major concern due to the influence is having on youths, adults and even those at the affairs of power - the politicians. Music played a major role in passing a strong message to the society and was aggressively used in fighting for the rights of the people; as it reflected in the works of Bob Marley, Majek Fasek, Sikiru Ayinde and a lot of others that people tagged as "freedom fighters". It is unfortunate however that the contemporary singers in Nigeria have completely derailed from being a good influence like the singers in the 70s and 80s – that had their lyrics balanced to reflect then society concerns and to inform the public of the excesses and abuse of power in the government.

Can we actually say that the music aired by the radio stations in this dispensation is rich, balance and lyrically sane enough for the public? Are the songs making any positive impact in the society? Can the depressed find hope and life from those songs? Those are the questions the concerned and disappointed people like me are continuously asking. What we hear and see now is the glorification of frauds, encouragement of rituals, teaching of robbery and presentation of sexual perverseness in music videos; yet they are welcomed by the society who graciously blesses them with a “million views” within short hours of their release.

What is the government doing about this menace and degradation of musical standards? I keep asking myself. Of course, I am aware of the toothless dog Films and Video Sensors Board administrators that have reduced their functions to fighting against the selected few who decides to standout and sings against the bad leadership and corrupt practices of the boss that appointed and employed them on the platter of political affiliation and never by merit. What will any Board do to the musicians that wine and dine with the boss and even formed coalition of musical supports during the political campaigns? Putting a ban on the songs openly used on the campaign grounds would just be to create a tension or a topic for the concerned public to argue on; that is one of their ways to keep us busy anyway.

My agitations go on and on. In fact, it has no limit as all the groups, agencies, institutions and religious gatherings that were known for shunning the bad presentation and representation have all forgotten themselves in the crowd of moral and good music decadence. The best place to know of any trending song and latest slang; is the church where the choristers are singing in word for word - songs that used to be tagged a “worldly song” while the pastors cheer with slangs dropped by the musicians in their lyrically failed songs. With their poorly delivered songs and perverse lifestyles mostly showcased in the music videos and social media, the best the financial and educational institutions could do is to shower them with high pay performance fees and bless them with six to seven digits naira endorsement deals. Why would the few singers that still upon all the influences stand on their feet to drop lyrically sane and morally standard songs not consider jumping on the bandwagon? There is limit to patience they say; after all, money and fame should be a reward for being a hardworking musician.

Will the music survive this cancer that is fast eating up the good, sane, lyrically matured, and morally presentable part of her? Will the like of Bob Marley, Fela Anikulapo, Lucky Dube, Michael Jackson and ample numbers of others that worked so hard to write and sing good songs that touched and still touching lives look back and give a satisfactory nod to the junks that the contemporary musicians are giving to the society? What will the coming generation say about the music of the 2000s? Will they also result to jumping off to the 70s and 80s songs before they could listen to music that would positively impact them and reasonably reflect their conditions? It is as if we were living in the past because that is only place we could find the right songs that can relax our minds, ease our worries and motivate our spirits. Unlike us that have our playlist saturated with “songs of the dead” so as to have reflection of good-message-filled, we need to speak out loudly and have the future enjoy the good music of their time.

In an interview section with one of the “A list musicians” in Nigeria, he said “I have to change my styles to what the people want. If I don’t give them the club songs, I will not trend and maintain my steady income”. The simple revelation from the interview is that the public demand is the motive behind the frugal words, crimes scenes and illicit drugs display they so much incorporated to their audio and video music. The point is; if they claim that the public is the reason for the degradation of good music, of course! The public can also be the savior to the innocent good music that is fast dying. It is high time we appreciate good music by patronizing only the artistes that can deliver lyrically normal songs which is capable to renaissance good values and norm amongst youths and adults alike. The Music and Videos Sensor Board should also bury the eyes-service-syndrome that has eaten up the true reasons for her establishment and be at the vanguard of sanitizing the music that is of recent littered with junks.

My thoughts…. Adeyemo, Olufemi

(1) (Reply)

Phyno The Bag - Behind The Scenes Video / Who Determines The Quality Of Nigerian Music : The Fans Or The Musicians? / Download Music��

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.