Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,770 members, 7,955,927 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:52 PM

Nigeria's Approves N1 Billion (£4 M) To Buy Dustbins From The Uk - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Approves N1 Billion (£4 M) To Buy Dustbins From The Uk (1069 Views)

PEOPLE DONATING 5 BILLION , 4 BILLION IN PDP FUND RAISING DINNER / FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines / Senate Approves N1.5 Billion For Ojukwu, Ex-briafran Soldiers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Approves N1 Billion (£4 M) To Buy Dustbins From The Uk by NubianQ(f): 11:13pm On Sep 28, 2010
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

IGNORANCE!!!, when will this stop,

http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/nigerias-federal-executive-council-approves-n1-billion-%C2%A34-m-buy-dustbins-uk-nigerian-tribu

The Federal Government, on Wednesday, approved the purchase of 60,000 units of British Waste Bins at N927,600,000, (£3,855,977.83 ) to maintain a clean and healthy environment in Abuja.

The Minister of Information and Communications, Professor Dora Akunyili, made this known to State House correspondents in Abuja after the weekly Federal Executive Council meeting, presided over by Vice-Presideant Namadi Sambo.

She said the bins would contain the volume of waste being generated in the Federal Capital Territory.

Akunyili said that the council approved the purchase of the waste bins because the major challenge confronting the FCT Administration in waste management was inadequate waste receptacles in the city.

Studies have shown that locally-produced plastic waste bins are very low in quality and not compatible with the lifting devices of the waste compacting trucks.

The previous efforts by the board to address these problems did not yield the desired result.

In order to maintain a clean and healthy environment in FCT, the council approved the award of contract for the supply of 60,000 units of 240-litre plastic British bins in the sum of N927,600,000, she said.

The minister said that the waste bins would be distributed to the residents of FCT, while the cost would be recovered within a period of two years through waste bills.

Akunyili said that there was a budgetary provision of N1.1 billion in the FCT 2010 budget for the project.

She also said that the council also approved N455 million for the procurement of additional waste disposal equipment, D7R Series II track bulldozer and Pay-Loader for the FCT.

According to her, the equipment include a landfill compactor, a wheel-loader and steer loader.

Akunyili said that the council approved additional N1.95 billion for the completion of the new headquarters complex of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Abuja.

She explained that the additional cost came due to inevitable changes that further enhanced the quality and standard of the building.

Akunyili maintained that N4.7 billion had been appropriated in the 2010 amendment appropriation, including the augmentation amount of N1.95 billion.

THIS IS RUBBISH!!!!!
Re: Nigeria's Approves N1 Billion (£4 M) To Buy Dustbins From The Uk by Abeem(m): 4:49am On Sep 29, 2010
These crop of clueless leaders are just out to milk Nigeria dry. How do they intend to develop our local industry when the industries are discrimnated against and are not patronized? Instead of supporting the growth of the local economy by awarding the contract to a plastic manufacturing company in the country and helping as a result to reducing the level of unemployment of the youths, these bunch of corrupt idiots have to resort to awarding contracts for the IMPORTATION of gabbage disposal carts. Any right thinking person who calls himself a leader will appreciate that there is a nexus and correlation between crime rate and high level of unemployment. The greedy bastards cannot be bothered because they have a false sense of security.
It is unimaginable that in this era of global competition and advancement in production technology, Nigeria does not have the technology and capacity to manufacture rubber/plastic carts for gabbage disposal. I do not want to believe that this is true. It is simply unfathomnable. No it can't be true. I think it is simply a case of greed and the love of Euro or Pound Sterling that has prevented them from thinking right and fomulating the right strategy for the develoment of the local industry.
Re: Nigeria's Approves N1 Billion (£4 M) To Buy Dustbins From The Uk by NubianQ(f): 9:03pm On Sep 29, 2010
@Abeem,

i think its completely crazy, Dora Akinyuli needs to get her proirities right, Our great country needs guidance, to be honest i am lost for words, it is true that they are going ahead with the purchase,
Re: Nigeria's Approves N1 Billion (£4 M) To Buy Dustbins From The Uk by Abeem(m): 3:34am On Sep 30, 2010
@NubianQ,

You are absolutely right. But wait a minute, isn't Dora Akunyili not a professor? A professor with no sense of opprobrium!
Re: Nigeria's Approves N1 Billion (£4 M) To Buy Dustbins From The Uk by mensdept: 4:47am On Sep 30, 2010
When they mean FEDERAL GOVERNMENT approves, are they including the national assembly? Each time, the Federal Government is approving and re-approving BILLIONS for this and that.

Yet is there anybody that is checking on these expenditures?
Re: Nigeria's Approves N1 Billion (£4 M) To Buy Dustbins From The Uk by NubianQ(f): 2:56pm On Oct 02, 2010
to be honest i dont want to sound like a Nigerian intent on critisizing the country but i should think that a country with alot of professionals should be able to come up with a more sustainable way of disposing waste other than buying them in the UK. All it takes is consulation with people that can come up with ideas,

Waste management in the UK is not the best in the world so i dont get why purchasing these bins would make a difference. Apart from dealing with matter by improving technologies.The disposal of waste is also down to the people by raising awareness and carrying out assesments on what is more appropriate i.e finding out how much waste is being generated and its sources amongst other things

I am disppointed in Dora Akunyili, she seems to have lost that touch. well, well i am not in her position but i remain VERY disappointed,
Re: Nigeria's Approves N1 Billion (£4 M) To Buy Dustbins From The Uk by Babacele: 4:21pm On Dec 14, 2018
God forbids PDP in 2019! ha!
Re: Nigeria's Approves N1 Billion (£4 M) To Buy Dustbins From The Uk by Minjim: 4:23pm On Dec 14, 2018
Pdp, never again!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Fashola/Dosunmu Debate / Lagos, Kano, Kaduna, Katsina Top Voter’s List / Moderators, Please Ban Beaf

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.