Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,479 members, 7,816,133 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:13 AM

Unilorin Maths Student Here? I don come again! Let Me See Your Question Paper. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Unilorin Maths Student Here? I don come again! Let Me See Your Question Paper. (1084 Views)

University Of Jos Exams Question Paper. A Must Read / 'Leaked Mathematics Question Paper': WAEC Reacts / Throwback Picture Of A 1946 History Exam Question Paper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unilorin Maths Student Here? I don come again! Let Me See Your Question Paper. by Blackmiserable(m): 3:50pm On Jun 02, 2019
I checked NYSC senate list yesterday and I was surprised - to say the very least. I discovered that Unilorin mobilized more than 210 Mathematics and 440 English graduate in just one NYSC batch.

Nairalanders, na one batch oo, no be one year. I was like, na so plenty people dey choose maths reach? Na so maths take simple? Na so people pass their post jamb reach? All through my sessions in OAU, from 100 to 400 level, we weren't up to 200. Only 20 graduated before us and like 18 in my set. The set after me were much but still, they weren't up to 40, and that's adding spillover candidates. There are more applicants for Unilorin admission than OAU but I think it's a little too much. I might be wrong. I checked other schools - Mathematics (specifically) pcms were very few. The highest I saw was 50 or 55 (I think) and I wasn't just checking a specific batch. Many schools offered maths but there were no candidates, some only had one or two. OAU grantrs up to 270 people admission into English department but 480 for unilorin, boy, that's crazy.

Unilorin undergrad and graduates in the house who took maths, abegi let me see your MTH 101 (Introductory mathematics) and MTH 201 (Mathematical methods). This is not to cast aspersions on you but to satisfy my curiosity that you're indeed better by far and you have good students.

Our own introductory na 5 unit course and every OAU graduate knows what's up.
Re: Unilorin Maths Student Here? I don come again! Let Me See Your Question Paper. by dejt4u(m): 4:56pm On Jun 02, 2019
Blackmiserable:
I checked NYSC senate list yesterday and I was surprised - to say the very least. I discovered that Unilorin mobilized more than 210 Mathematics and 440 English graduate in just one NYSC batch.

Nairalanders, na one batch oo, no be one year. I was like, na so plenty people dey choose maths reach? Na so maths take simple? Na so people pass their post jamb reach? All through my sessions in OAU, from 100 to 400 level, we weren't up to 200. Only 20 graduated before us and like 18 in my set. The set after me were much but still, they weren't up to 40, and that's adding spillover candidates. There are more applicants for Unilorin admission than OAU but I think it's a little too much. I might be wrong. I checked other schools - Mathematics (specifically) pcms were very few. The highest I saw was 50 or 55 (I think) and I wasn't just checking a specific batch. Many schools offered maths but there were no candidates, some only had one or two. OAU grantrs up to 270 people admission into English department but 480 for unilorin, boy, that's crazy.

Unilorin undergrad and graduates in the house who took maths, abegi let me see your MTH 101 (Introductory mathematics) and MTH 201 (Mathematical methods). This is not to cast aspersions on you but to satisfy my curiosity that you're indeed better by far and you have good students.

OAU MTH201 na die. I managed to get 51% though in 2009/2010 session. more than 90% of students in my dept failed the course.

MTH 212 (mechanics) was great though and that's because of those that handled the course (Mr Ayo Fadodun and one other guy).
Re: Unilorin Maths Student Here? I don come again! Let Me See Your Question Paper. by rayornb(m): 5:11pm On Jun 02, 2019
Blackmiserable:

Pls how do I check the NYSC senate list?
Re: Unilorin Maths Student Here? I don come again! Let Me See Your Question Paper. by Blackmiserable(m): 5:12pm On Jun 02, 2019
dejt4u:
OAU MTH201 na die. I managed to get 51% though in 2009/2010 session. more than 90% of students in my dept failed the course.

MTH 212 (mechanics) was great though and that's because of those that handled the course (Mr Ayo Fadodun and one other guy).

Tùale babanla! I see you. My Oga at the top! Fellow Great Ife here. I thank God say no be only me talk am, haha. That 201 eehh, year in year out, it's almost like a tradition: more than half of the candidates either score an E or F. I don't understand how some students in Unilorin scale through, and they are many. Abi no be the same 201 again?

1 Like

Re: Unilorin Maths Student Here? I don come again! Let Me See Your Question Paper. by Blackmiserable(m): 5:33pm On Jun 02, 2019
dejt4u:

MTH 212, too, na die. He was still kind of new to lecturing then. Fadodun carry one press-up (push-up) question give us for exam. As in, only God knows where he got it from. I cannot come and kill myself. I was even confused.

Is this in Mechanics 212 schemes of work, I asked myself. O boy, the guy just dash ALL of us mark ni ooo. I'm talking of 2014.

1 Like

Re: Unilorin Maths Student Here? I don come again! Let Me See Your Question Paper. by dejt4u(m): 5:52pm On Jun 02, 2019
Blackmiserable:

MTH 212, too, na die. He was still kind of new to lecturing then. Fadodun carry one press-up (push-up) question give us for exam. As in, only God knows where he got it from. I cannot come and kill myself. I was even confused.

Is this in Mechanics 212 schemes of work, I asked myself. O boy, the guy just dash ALL of us mark ni ooo. I'm talking of 2014.
lol. it's all story now. to the glory of God
Re: Unilorin Maths Student Here? I don come again! Let Me See Your Question Paper. by Blackmiserable(m): 5:55pm On Jun 02, 2019
dejt4u:
lol. it's all story now. to the glory of God

Haha, yea to God's glory. Have you seen an undergrad maths questions of any federal university before?
Re: Unilorin Maths Student Here? I don come again! Let Me See Your Question Paper. by Phosphenes(f): 2:41pm On Jun 19, 2019
Someone please help me solve this ohh

Blackmiserable, dejt4u

Re: Unilorin Maths Student Here? I don come again! Let Me See Your Question Paper. by dejt4u(m): 4:28pm On Jun 19, 2019
Phosphenes:

Blackmiserable, dejt4u
The question is incorrect. If  = 55°, then angle D must also be 55° and x be 40°. You need no pen or paper for this

click here for my verdict on a similar thread https://www.nairaland.com/5245298/find-x-equation-given-photo#79362858
Re: Unilorin Maths Student Here? I don come again! Let Me See Your Question Paper. by Phosphenes(f): 4:40pm On Jun 19, 2019
dejt4u:

The question is incorrect. If  = 55°, then angle D must also be 55° and x be 40°. You need no pen or paper for this

click here for my verdict on a similar thread https://www.nairaland.com/5245298/find-x-equation-given-photo#79362858

Thank you Dejt4u
Re: Unilorin Maths Student Here? I don come again! Let Me See Your Question Paper. by Blackmiserable(m): 7:31pm On Jun 19, 2019
Phosphenes:

Blackmiserable, dejt4u

The answer is 75. I have been having a hard time uploading the screenshot because I am currently subscribed to Airtel 2G network.
Re: Unilorin Maths Student Here? I don come again! Let Me See Your Question Paper. by Martinez19(m): 8:26pm On Jun 19, 2019
Phosphenes:

Blackmiserable, dejt4u
This question was set by someone with no sound knowledge of basic geometry.

Since alternate interior angles are congruent,
∠BAD ≅ ∠ADE and ∠ABC ≅ ∠BGD

Given this, it's incorrect to state that
m(∠BAD) ≠ m(∠ADE)
Either the measures of both angles is 55° or 20°, ie. either m(∠BAD) = m(∠ADE) = 55° or m(∠BAD) = m(∠ADE) = 20°. Choose one.

If m(∠ABC) = 40°, then m(∠BGD) = 40°.

Since vertical angles are congruent, then
∠BGD ≅ ∠EGF
This means that m(∠BGD) = m(∠EGF) = 40°

A shortcut approach is to observe that ∠ABC and ∠EGF are corresponding angles and corresponding angles are congruent. This means that
∠ABC ≅ ∠EGF
m(∠ABC) = m(∠EGF) = 40° (given that m(∠ABC) = 40°)

∴ m(∠EGF) = 40°
OPTION A is the answer
Re: Unilorin Maths Student Here? I don come again! Let Me See Your Question Paper. by Blackmiserable(m): 11:19pm On Jun 19, 2019
Martinez19:
This question was set by someone with no sound knowledge of basic geometry.

Since alternate interior angles are congruent,
∠BAD ≅ ∠ADE and ∠ABC ≅ ∠BGD

Given this, it's incorrect to state that
m(∠BAD) ≠ m(∠ADE)
Either the measures of both angles is 55° or 20°, ie. either m(∠BAD) = m(∠ADE) = 55° or m(∠BAD) = m(∠ADE) = 20°. Choose one.

If m(∠ABC) = 40°, then m(∠BGD) = 40°.

Since vertical angles are congruent, then
∠BGD ≅ ∠EGF
This means that m(∠BGD) = m(∠EGF) = 40°

∴ m(∠EGF) = 40°
OPTION A is the answer

I actually solved this question within 7 minutes but I couldn't upload my result because, like I said, I'm on a 2G network.

I'm going to upload it when I subscribe tonight, but here's a concise proof. There's certainly nothing wrong with the question Martinez, nothing wrong at all. Your argument is based on the fact that 55 degree and 20 degree are alternate interior angles, but no, they are not.

The Alternate Interior Angles Theorem states that, when two parallel lines are cut by a transversal, the resulting alternate interior angles are congruent. Granted, they are cut by a transversal but they are not parallel lines since they meet at a point. I mean line AD and ED!

From ABC
^C = 180 - (55 +40) = 85 ............... Since sum of angles in a triangle is 180.

So we have
A <C B = 85.

Now sum of angles on a straight line is 180; then

A <C W = 180 - 85 = 95

Then again D <C G = 180 - 95 = 85

Actually it's just vertically opposite angles but I showed it there.

Then again, 180 - (85 + 20) = 75

Which is actually C <G D. So C <G D = 75.

Then it follows that xis also 75 since we have another vertically opposite angle that can be proven using the concept of straight lines, and sum of angles in a triangle.
Re: Unilorin Maths Student Here? I don come again! Let Me See Your Question Paper. by Martinez19(m): 11:54pm On Jun 19, 2019
Blackmiserable:

I actually solved this question within 7 minutes but I couldn't upload my result because, like I said, I'm on a 2G network.

I'm going to upload it when I subscribe tonight, but here's a concise proof. There's certainly nothing wrong with the question Martinez, nothing wrong at all. Your argument is based on the fact that 55 degree and 20 degree are alternate interior angles, but no, they are not.

The Alternate Interior Angles Theorem states that, when two parallel lines are cut by a transversal, the resulting alternate interior angles are congruent. Granted, they are cut by a transversal but they are not parallel lines since they meet at a point. I mean line AD and ED!

From ABC
^C = 180 - (55 +40) = 85 ............... Since sum of angles in a triangle is 180.

So we have
A <C B = 85.

Now sum of angles on a straight line is 180; then

A <C W = 180 - 85 = 95

Then again D <C G = 180 - 95 = 85

Actually it's just vertically opposite angles but I showed it there.

Then again, 180 - (85 + 20) = 75

Which is actually C <G D. So C <G D = 75.

Then it follows that xis also 75 since we have another vertically opposite angle that can be proven using the concept of straight lines, and sum of angles in a triangle.

The line segments AB and DE are parallel(as indicated) and they are cut by two transversals AD and BG. Read my solution again and think it through this time around.
Re: Unilorin Maths Student Here? I don come again! Let Me See Your Question Paper. by Blackmiserable(m): 12:12am On Jun 20, 2019
Martinez19:
The line segments AB and DE are parallel(as indicated) and they are cut by two transversals AD and BG. Read my solution again and think it through this time around.

No, they are not. AD and BG are not transversal. They don't cut through the line segments AB and DE.

Don't rack your brains too much; you have a working simplified method here.

Re: Unilorin Maths Student Here? I don come again! Let Me See Your Question Paper. by Martinez19(m): 7:24am On Jun 20, 2019
Blackmiserable:

No, they are not. AD and BG are not transversal. They don't cut through the line segments AB and DE.
AB and DE are parallel as indicated by the single arrow marks on both segments. A transversal is a line or line segment that intersects two or more lines or line segments at different points. AD and BG are two transversals that intersect both parallel segments AB and DE.

Don't rack your brains too much; you have a working simplified method here.
You failed to realise that AB and DE are parallel are indicted by the single arrow marks on both segments. Look through my solution again.

Cc. Ifada123, dejt4u

1 Like

Re: Unilorin Maths Student Here? I don come again! Let Me See Your Question Paper. by Yemluvkid(m): 10:06am On Jun 20, 2019
Martinez19:
AB and DE are parallel as indicated by the single arrow marks on both segments. A transversal is a line or line segment that intersects two or more lines or line segments at different points. AD and BG are two transversals that intersect both parallel segments AB and DE.

You failed to realise that AB and DE are parallel are indicted by the single arrow marks on both segments. Look through my solution again.

Cc. Ifada123, dejt4u
You are very correct. Merely looking at it alone without any workings shows that x=40°

(1) (Reply)

Why FUTO Is The Best School To Study Engineering In Nigeria / Book Review On Metaphors Of God By Effiong Ekpenyong / Enroll For KWARA STATE COLLEGE OF EDUCATION ORO PART TIME NCE Program Now.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.