Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:44 PM

31 Delicious Nigerian Food You Need To Try - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 31 Delicious Nigerian Food You Need To Try (1257 Views)

What Is One Food You Could Not Live Without? Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

31 Delicious Nigerian Food You Need To Try by weares4lent: 5:31pm On Jun 02, 2019
Nigeria is a multicultural state with the diverse tribe and ethnic group. Each ethnic group and tribe have a food peculiar to them. One of the biggest secrets of West Africa cuisine is that there are quite a number of countries in West Africa with rich cultural heritage which strongly reflects in most of their dishes.

A visit to different parts in Nigeria is very amazing because numerous tribes in Nigeria have their own unique style of making food which makes it unique from others. This article is aimed at educating our readers on some of the best and most delicious Nigerian food to try. Whether you are a Nigerian who is based here or you are just planning to visit Nigeria for exploration purpose please make sure you try some of these foods when next you come visiting.

Check below a comprehensive list of some of the most delicious Nigerian food to try

1. Okra Soup

Okra is one of the most popular soup in Africa. If you are a Nigerian man, and you have never tasted Okra soup before, you are really doing a wrong thing and you might not get it right on until you have a plate of okra soup.

The soup is made from a greenish plant pod called Okra and it has a slippery feel when rubbing on the hand. Just like that, it also has a slippery feel in the throat. Okra is best prepared with various things like assorted meat, stockfish, cow skin and even crayfish. Some professionals who understands the health benefit of this splendid West African Cuisine will add a bit of bitterleaf to it. By the time all of these is cooked together, one might forget his or her name after having a plate of it.

Okra can be served with any of these swallows, Eba, Fufu, Amala, Wheat or Semo.

2. Egusi Soup

Egusi soup is made from the melon seed. If you have never tasted this West African Cuisine, then you have not started living. Egusi is peculiar to the Yorubas and Igbo in Nigeria but it isn't only taken in Nigeria but almost all African countries. It can be served with semo, Eba or pounded yam.

In fact, Yorubas especially people from Ondo, Ekiti, Kogi part of Nigeria takes more of egusi and pounded yam (Iyan).

You can stay all day without eating after taking Pounded Yam and Egusi soup.

3. Fried Snail and Pepper Sauce

Growing up as a child was not too easy. However, one of the few seasons I was always happy to see as a kid is the raining season. Since we do not have the money to purchase enough snail in the market, we will always wait for the raining season when we can pick plenty of snails after each downpour.

Fried snail with pepper sauce can also be a good deal for men and women of the Nigerian beer association. If you know you belong to this group, when next you go to restaurant kindly request for a plate of spiced fried snail with pepper sauce, but make sure you have enough cash at hand because you might drink beyond budget.

Reasonably, the snail is one of the best meat to eat, it is bloodless with low calories and cholesterol.

4. Efo Riro

Hmm!! I remember those days my father will have to settle disputes between different couples in our community because of infidelity. One common thing the women always say then was that their rival has given their husbands Efo to eat.

Efo Riro has dissolved more marriages than the court ever did. In Yoruba land, people would say the owner of the soup is the husband owner, Olobe lo ni Oko the soup they are referring to is the Efo Riro.

Efo is the Yoruba name for vegetable, and it can be garnished with different assorted like meat, dry fish, stockfish, crayfish, cow skin, fresh fish and others. You can enjoy a plate of Efo riro with Semo, Eba, Fufu, Pounded Yam or wheat.

5. Ofada Rice

This is rice which is locally grown. Ofada Rice has a unique stew that is best for eating it. You need to see the way and manner people lose their manners in a party or event at the sight of Ofada rice. People would stop at nothing until they are served Ofada rice. Meanwhile, it is important we give you a clue on the best way to enjoy this West African Cuisine.

TIP: Do not pour the Ofada rice in a plate. The food is usually severed in a leaf. The leaf isn't for consumption but it sure has a way of complimenting the Ofada rice. The stew and all of the assorted in it should be inside that leaf it was severed with. You are only allowed to put the leaf inside a flat plate but make sure you eat directly from the leaf.

6. Amala Gbegiri and Ewedu

Ooopss. If there was anything that is always making blush for being a Yoruba man is this meal. Amala is made from Yam while Gbegiri is made from bean and Ewedu is a vegetable on its own. The reason why Oyo people have added Gbegiri to their Amala has not been theoretically proven but it has been practically proven.

Once you finish a bowl of Amala Gbegiri and Ewedu, you will start seeing people like Oduduwa, Oranmiyan those were the fathers of great Yoruba people.

It is also important that we give you a clue about the best way to enjoy this delicious Nigerian food.

TIP 1: On no reason should you use a spoon to eat this food. It becomes something else the moment you pick spoon or fork to eat this food, there is a feeling of accomplishment that comes with using your bare hands after washing them though to consume this food. If there was any time you need to get your hands stained, it is when eating Amala Gbegiri and Ewedu.

TIP 2: Make sure you are severed the Amala Gbegiri and Ewedu in the same plate. What God has joined together do not allow any waiter to put asunder. Make sure the Amala Gbegiri and Ewedu are served on the same plate, even all the assorted should be on the same plate with the food. You can also do yourself a favour of cold drink after consuming Amala.

7. Edikaikong Soup

This Nigerian cuisine is peculiar to the Cross River and Akwa Ibom people of Nigeria. However, the food has found its way into some other countries in West Africa.

And what will be your excuse for not having Edikaikong in your next family breakfast/launch/dinner outing? Even if you don't have a family yet, be nice to yourself, order for a plate of Edikaikong soup served with your favourite morsel. You can also wash it down with a very cold drink.

8. Afang
One thing that can easily unite us as a Nation and Continent is our food. Afang is peculiar to the people of the southern part of Nigeria. However, some African countries also take it but they have a local name for it. This soup is highly medicinal especially for any who are just recovering after an illness. One can serve only Afang soup as a meal or better still you can take it with any of your favourite morsel.

9. Afang

One of the fairytales I heard while growing up was that beans makes one grow taller. Whoever was the originator of that lie, it is left to God to decide his or her fate. Most of us who were vertically challenged change our meal to beans, I for one ate beans almost every day and you still need to see how tall I'm now, lols. I have listened to many people complain about beans, I don't like beans o, it makes me visit the toilet more than the times I blink. You haven't tried beans and corn, after I got tired of eating just beans, I learnt about (Adalu) i.e beans and corn. If you try this meal, your perception about beans will change almost Immediately.

And you might be wondering if they sell beans and corn in restaurants, oh yeah. I had that same thinking until my boss order for beans and corn in one of the popular restaurants in Lagos.

FULL LIST HERE: https://www.weares4lent.com/31-delicious-nigerian-food-you-need-to-try/

1 Like

Re: 31 Delicious Nigerian Food You Need To Try by aydelicious: 5:49pm On Jun 03, 2019
if you need any of this service delivery,we can deliver the delicious meal to you,if you also need the cook that can cook for your big Event you are planning are ahead you can let us know right here!
Re: 31 Delicious Nigerian Food You Need To Try by aydelicious: 5:53pm On Jun 03, 2019
If you need One of the services,you can let us know through the number below and the address as well ;thanks! Event Decoration And Design Event Planning And Management Rich Occasional Cake Catering Service For Indoor And Outdoor Pastries / Small Chops Chapman And Cocktail Drinks Hostesses And Executive Ushers Training And Consultancy And ETC... Tel: +2348065752340, +2348099422243 +2347089664944 You can follow us on instagram Aydelicious_officail Our whatsapp group link https:///2348065752340 Our facebook page link: https://facebook.com/aydelikitchenservices/ Our email address: aydeliciouseateryservice@gmail.com Address: Plot 30, Agbede Olosugbo Rd, Agbede Meeting. Ikorodu. Lagos State...

(1) (Reply)

Garri Is The Latest Celebrity On Twitter! Tweeps Are Praising It Since Yesterday / Most Embarrasing Meal You Have Ever Served? / Fast Food Or Iya Basira(local Resturant) Which One Do U Prefer!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.