Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,433 members, 7,819,560 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:14 PM

Help Translate This Igbo Adage, Please - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Help Translate This Igbo Adage, Please (570 Views)

I Have This Igbo Song Stuck On My Head But I Don't Know The Title. I Need Help. / Please Translate This Song : Infinity - Olori Oko / Please Help Translate These Songs Into English (gift Included). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Translate This Igbo Adage, Please by davidkingsley59(m): 7:07pm On Jun 02, 2019
At a meeting attended by Nigerians from different ethnic groups, the MC—a proudly traditional Igbo man who spoke impeccable English—gladly announced “item 2” on the list of events. It was time to present the kola nuts.

In line with African tradition, he doffed his hat and welcomed the guests again.

Smilingly, he greeted everyone in Ibo, Hausa and Yoruba—the three major ethnic groups in Nigeria. Then he paused. His sudden silence and trance-like appearance indicated an unexpressive communication with an immortal being.

‘…The gods neither speak nor understand English language,’ he said in a hoarse voice, shaking his head in supplication, respect and fear.

‘I crave your indulgence,’ he implored every Ibo man and woman at the event, ‘to translate my favourite libations to our brothers and sisters who don’t understand our dialect.’ His face beamed with joy and appreciation.

“Onye wetara ọji wetara ndụ,” he said.

Some obviously educated Ibos at the event echoed, “He who brings kolanuts, brings life.”

“Thank you,” the MC echoed. “Ọ biara be m abigbulam, ya la wa be ya, nkpunkpu a da kwa la ya.”

The hall quickly switched to “silent mode.” Me sef no talk but ears dey ground for long long time.

Please, what’s the best translation for that adage?

Source: https://meziesblog.com/help-translate-this-igbo-adage-please/

Re: Help Translate This Igbo Adage, Please by shortgun(m): 7:21pm On Jun 02, 2019
He who comes to visit me should not cause me harm and when he leaves, he should leave without harm.

1 Like

Re: Help Translate This Igbo Adage, Please by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jun 02, 2019
Ones good turn deserves another.
Re: Help Translate This Igbo Adage, Please by MikeBetty(m): 8:15pm On Jun 02, 2019
Let My Visitor Visit Me In Peace So That When He Will Go, He Will Go In Peace.
Re: Help Translate This Igbo Adage, Please by LuckyM: 8:15pm On Jun 02, 2019
come in peace, to leave in peace.

Secondly, like begot like.

In its clear term, it's the golden rule. Do unto others what you would like them do unto you
Re: Help Translate This Igbo Adage, Please by chris31(m): 10:16am On Jun 03, 2019
“Ọ biara be m abigbulam, ya la wa be ya, nkpunkpu a da kwa la ya.”
Let my visitor no cause me harm & when he goes he should go in peace
Re: Help Translate This Igbo Adage, Please by davidkingsley59(m): 4:58pm On Jun 03, 2019
davidkingsley59:
At a meeting attended by Nigerians from different ethnic groups, the MC—a proudly traditional Igbo man who spoke impeccable English—gladly announced “item 2” on the list of events. It was time to present the kola nuts.

In line with African tradition, he doffed his hat and welcomed the guests again.

Smilingly, he greeted everyone in Ibo, Hausa and Yoruba—the three major ethnic groups in Nigeria. Then he paused. His sudden silence and trance-like appearance indicated an unexpressive communication with an immortal being.

‘…The gods neither speak nor understand English language,’ he said in a hoarse voice, shaking his head in supplication, respect and fear.

‘I crave your indulgence,’ he implored every Ibo man and woman at the event, ‘to translate my favourite libations to our brothers and sisters who don’t understand our dialect.’ His face beamed with joy and appreciation.

“Onye wetara ọji wetara ndụ,” he said.

Some obviously educated Ibos at the event echoed, “He who brings kolanuts, brings life.”

“Thank you,” the MC echoed. “Ọ biara be m abigbulam, ya la wa be ya, nkpunkpu a da kwa la ya.”

The hall quickly switched to “silent mode.” Me sef no talk but ears dey ground for long long time.

Please, what’s the best translation for that adage?

Source: https://meziesblog.com/help-translate-this-igbo-adage-please/

Thanks a lot for the contributions. I understand that "harm" and "nkpunkpu" are literally the same, right?

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian-america Most Successful In Usa / Can You Stop Wearing Suits To Promote Your Culture? / 420 To Be Allowed In Nigeria. Why Not?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.