Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,629 members, 7,847,629 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 10:47 PM

Anyone Know The Meaning Of This Phrase? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Anyone Know The Meaning Of This Phrase? (716 Views)

Do You Know The Meaning Of POLICE? / What Is The Meaning Of Sco Pa Tu Manaa? / How The Phrase ‘my Dear’ Can Put You In Trouble (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anyone Know The Meaning Of This Phrase? by Goalnaldo(m): 4:14pm On Jun 03, 2019
In one of Ed Sheeran's song , photograph to be precise.
He used this phrase only words bleed. I have tried to figure out the meaning but can't. Even the answer I saw on quora wasn't satisfying. Any one got idea what it means?

cc Fynestboi, Richiez, olawalebabs.
Re: Anyone Know The Meaning Of This Phrase? by Justpd: 4:33pm On Jun 03, 2019
I know the meaning but since you decided to mention my boys and blatantly refused to mention me, let them tell you the meaning.

Nonsense and buhari
Re: Anyone Know The Meaning Of This Phrase? by Goalnaldo(m): 4:37pm On Jun 03, 2019
Justpd:
I know the meaning but since you decided to mention my boys and blatantly refused to mention me, let them tell you the meaning.

Nonsense and buhari
forgive my negligence boss
Re: Anyone Know The Meaning Of This Phrase? by Goalnaldo(m): 7:22pm On Apr 18, 2020
Still searching for the answer
Re: Anyone Know The Meaning Of This Phrase? by dprpikin: 1:44am On Apr 19, 2020
In my own understanding, it means only words have the ability to continue to hurt (i.e make the heart of the recipient bleed) even after many years or centuries it was spoken.

In other words, only words can leave a metaphorical incurable wound (bleeding) that may outlive both the speaker and the addressee. While physical bleeding, at most, ends at death.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Anyone Know The Meaning Of This Phrase? by Goalnaldo(m): 6:57am On Apr 19, 2020
dprpikin:
In my own understanding, it means only words have the ability to continue to hurt (i.e make the heart of the recipient bleed) even after many years or centuries it was spoken.

In other words, only words can leave a metaphorical incurable wound (bleeding) that may outlive both the speaker and the addressee. While physical bleeding, at most, ends at death.
wow thanks
Re: Anyone Know The Meaning Of This Phrase? by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 7:00am On Apr 19, 2020
dprpikin:

My grandmother used to say that the cut from words does not heal unlike the one from blade that heals with time.

Only words bleed can also mean that only words transcend ages. Written works of Shakespeare, Wordsworth, Eliot, Chinua Achebe, Woke Soyinka and co come to mind. Those are bleeding words that keep bleeding forever. Same goes to good songs.
Re: Anyone Know The Meaning Of This Phrase? by Goalnaldo(m): 7:02am On Apr 19, 2020
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:

My grandmother used to say that the cut from words does not heal unlike the one from blade that heals with time.

Only words bleed can also mean that only words transcend ages. Written works of Shakespeare, Wordsworth, Eliot, Chinua Achebe, Woke Soyinka and co come to mind. Those are bleeding words that keep bleeding forever. Same goes to good songs.
wow thanks. I think I now understand
Re: Anyone Know The Meaning Of This Phrase? by dprpikin: 9:39am On Apr 19, 2020
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:

Exactly. It bleeds also in the positive sense as you stated.

(1) (Reply)

Secrets Of Essay Writing You Never Knew / . / Student Accommodation In UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.