Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,229 members, 7,822,186 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:03 AM

Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud (24557 Views)

Petition: Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Sanwo-olu / Court Orders Substituted Service Of Disqualification Suit On Ize-iyamu / Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jun 04, 2019
This case is dead on arrival. Instead of arguing blindly read what the law says. Also read the previous judgement of 2014 on the w
Exact same matter.

To help you out:

1. A convicted felon can run for office if the conviction is over 10 years.

2. The exact same case seeking to disqualify
Gbaja was dismissed in 2015, Falana was Gbaja’s lawyer at the time, the case no is FHC/ABJ/CS/501/2015. Falana is still trying to recover his legal fees of 20m from Gbaja.

3. If the case was dismissed at the time when he was still technically unqualified (his conviction at the time was 7 years old) it has no chance of succeeding now that it is over 10 years

I am not pro Gbaja, just giving you facts.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by abbey621(m): 3:18pm On Jun 04, 2019
kernel01:

Anybody found to have contravene the law of the land will be punished according to the constitution.

If the constitution states clearly, that an ex-convict cannot vie for an elective office, what's the big deal?

Where did he contravene the law of the land? Was he ever convicted in Nigeria? Even section 66 of the Constitution clearly states this applies to acts infringing on Nigerian laws.

66. (1) No person shall be qualified for election to the Senate or the House of Representatives if:

(a) subject to the provisions of section 28 of this Constitution, he has voluntarily acquired the citizenship of a country other than Nigeria or, except in such cases as may be prescribed by the National Assembly, has made a declaration of allegiance to such a country;

(b) under any law in force in any part of Nigeria, he is adjudged to be a lunatic or otherwise declared to be of unsound mind;

(c) he is under a sentence of death imposed on him by any competent court of law or tribunal in Nigeria or a sentence of imprisonment or fine for an offence involving dishonesty or fraud (by whatever name called) or any other offence imposed on him by such a court or tribunal or substituted by a competent authority for any other sentence imposed on him by such a court;

(d) within a period of less than 10 years before the date of an election to a legislative house, he has been convicted and sentenced for an offence involving dishonesty or he has been found guilty of a contravention of the Code of Conduct;

(e) he is an undischarged bankrupt, having been adjudged or otherwise declared bankrupt under any law in force in any part of Nigeria;

(f) he is a person employed in the public service of the Federation or of any State and has not resigned, withdrawn or retired from such employment 30 days before the date of election;

(g) he is a member of a secret society;

(h) he has been indicted for embezzlement or fraud by Judicial Commission of Inquiry or an Administrative Panel of Inquiry or a Tribunal set up under the Tribunals of Inquiry Act, a Tribunals of Inquiry Law or any other law by the Federal or State Government which indictment has been accepted by the Federal or State Governments respectively; or.

(i) he has presented a forged certificate to the Independence National Electoral Commission.
Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by kernel01: 3:21pm On Jun 04, 2019
abbey621:

Where did he contravene the law of the land? Was he ever convicted in Nigeria? Even section 66 of the Constitution clearly states this applies to acts infringing on Nigerian laws.

You can vote him (ex-convict) as well as wanted American drug lord Kashamu, but they will never led our hollow chamber.
Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by abbey621(m): 3:22pm On Jun 04, 2019
Adekdammy:

Are you implying that his criminal act outside the shores of this land should not stop him from being a speaker or what?

That's exactly what I'm implying! Until he's found guilty under Nigerian laws, he's fit to contest! Keep in mind we are talking about legality here not morality.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by abbey621(m): 3:23pm On Jun 04, 2019
kernel01:

You can vote him (ex-convict) as well as wanted American drug lord Kashamu, but they will never led our hollow chamber.

That's not for you to decide is it? His Constituent voted him in as a Rep., his mates will vote him in as speaker. You can rant on Nairaland all day but your voice ends here!

2 Likes

Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by Eluwilussit(m): 3:24pm On Jun 04, 2019
dadavivo:
So he's a Yahoo man?

Gbajayahoola abi Yahoobiamila! Choose your choice, according to fish seller by Nembe waterside. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by BrownRoofRep: 3:28pm On Jun 04, 2019
femolii:
The only problem you have is that ojukwu is no body in politics before he die but let me tell you if they drop gbaja today the south west will bring somebody and fixe him so you should know by now that position is not for South east, and South South.
Lol
None of Afonja cone head moro.ns can be nowhere near Ojukwu.
Starting from your wretched family to the rest of the head slamming Afonja ritualists. grin
Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jun 04, 2019
abbey621:

That's not for you to decide is it? His Constituent voted him in as a Rep., his mates will vote him in as speaker. You can rant on Nairaland all day but your voice ends here!

Don’t mind these emotional fools always arguing on sentiment instead of facts. I don’t like Gbaja but there is nothing anybody can do, the case is dead on arrival, the facts of the case have already been decided in suit no FHC/ABJ/CS/501/2015 at a time when he was technically unqualified to seek office. If the case could not gain traction then, it certainly will not now that the 10 years has lapsed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by Gandollar(f): 3:31pm On Jun 04, 2019
jayboy112233:
Nigerians always bring up something to tarnish someone's image when he's about to progress.. So for years that he has been serving as MFHR this case didn't exist abi.. Join politics and learn more about yourself.
The case has always been in the public domain. Are you a Ghanaian?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by Gandollar(f): 3:33pm On Jun 04, 2019
omoiyalayi:
This case came up in 2015 when he wanted to be speaker then

They couldn't stop him then I doubt they will now

They could not stop him then Read my siggy oo
Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by abbey621(m): 3:33pm On Jun 04, 2019
isthatso:

Don’t mind these emotional fools always arguing on sentiment instead of facts. I don’t like Gbaja but there is nothing anybody can do, the case is dead on arrival, the facts of the case have already been decided in suit no FHC/ABJ/CS/501/2015 at a time when he was technically unqualified to seek office. If the case could not gain traction then, it certainly will not now that the 10 years has lapsed.

You're right, even then a competent lawyer would have had the case thrown out. The case right now has one agenda, tarnish his image so that his peers won't vote for him. Even tho they know the case is dead on arrival, they are banking on him losing support.

1 Like

Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by Gandollar(f): 3:34pm On Jun 04, 2019
jrusky:
Well sorry to say this if that Gbaja is the person buhari wants for that job nothing anyone can do the highest is to ask SW to give him someone else and you all will be shock Tinubu wife might ends up taking the seat.

More so if other region SS or SE are dreaming of Senate president or house of Rep speaker its going to be a big joke. The line has be drawn far way back only miracle can change it.

Sorry I'm not Gbaja nor apc and will never be. I'm just being truthful on what will ends up plays out in this scenario.
Baba is Tinubu's wife in the lower house?
Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by jrusky(m): 3:38pm On Jun 04, 2019
Gandollar:
Baba is Tinubu's wife in the lower house?

Sorry was typing error I was about saying Tinubu wife might use her influence to hijack that seat by dictating a new candidate which might be the worst.

Thanks for the correction. Appreciated.

2 Likes

Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jun 04, 2019
abbey621:

You're right, even then a competent lawyer would have had the case thrown out. The case right now has one agenda, tarnish his image so that his peers won't vote for him. Even tho they know the case is dead on arrival, they are banking on him losing support.

https://www.thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2019/05/speakership-why-i-withdrew-suit-to-disqualify-gbajabiamila-businessman/

A 48-year-old businessman, Mr Philip Undie, on Tuesday withdrew a suit he filed challenging the nomination of Mr Femi Gbajabiamila, a member of the House of Representative vying for the position of Speaker of the House of Representatives in the incoming 9th National Assembly.

The plaintiff is challenging the eligibility of Gbajabiamila to contest for the speakership of the house on the grounds that he has a criminal allegation in the state of Georgia, U.S.

News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Gbajabiamila is one of the leading candidates vying for speakership position.

Other respondents/defendants in the suit are: the House of Representatives, the Attorney General of the Federation and the All Progressives Congress (APC).

In the suit with No. FHC/ABJ/CS/539/2019 filed at the Federal High Court, Abuja, which is yet to be assigned to a Judge, Undie accused Gbajabiamila of being convicted in the state of Georgia, on Feb. 26, 2007, over criminal allegations.

The plaintiff in a letter: “Authorisation to file my withdrawal from suit No. FHC/ABJ/CS/539/2019″ and made available to newsmen on Tuesday in Abuja, said that he withdrew the suit, following the emergence of more facts that the defendant has no more criminal records in the U. S.

The plaintiff said in the latter dated May 27, 2019 which was signed by him:” it is necessary to discontinue the suit based on the facts available that Gbajabiamila has been cleared of criminal allegations in the state of Georgia and other parts of the U.S.

According to the plaintiff, a letter from the U.S. dated Aug. 30, 2010 indicated that Gbajabiamila has been cleared of every criminal allegations.

The plaintiff said that he was also in possession of an order by Justice Abdul-Kafarati of the Federal High Court on May 22, 2018 which was also in favour of Gbajabiamila.

Apart from letter of withdrawal, the plaintiff in another statement he signed said that the suit was filed in his innocent belief that Gbajabiamila ought not to be allowed to contest for speaker based on the information at his disposal.

“The suit was filed in my innocent belief that the first defendant, Rep. Femi Gbajabiamila ought not to be allowed to contest for the position of the Speaker of the House of Representatives based on information then at my disposal that he had been criminally convicted by the Supreme Court of the State of Georgia.

”Since the matter was filed at the Federal High Court, I have come into possession of more facts on the alleged criminal conviction which show beyond all doubt that the basis of the suit is found on misinformation and misrepresentation of facts.

”One of the documents I now have is a letter dated as far back as Aug. 30, 2010 issued by the State Bar of Georgia, the body involved in this matter and which regulate legal practice in Georga, indicating that Gbajabiamila has no record of criminal conviction in the State of Georgia or any part of America.

In fact, the letter states categorically that Femi Gbajabiamila ”is currently an active member in good standing of the State Bar of Georgia.

”In addition, I am also in possession of a copy of decision of Federal High Court, Abuja in suit FHC/ABJ/CS/501/2015 decided by Justice Abdul-Kafarati. in favour of Gbajabiamila on May 22, 2018 as the plaintiff in that case was unable to diligently prosecute the case.

”The suit in reference was based on the same facts as the one in which I am now the plaintiff.

“In view of the above therefore, I which to honourably announce my decision to immediately discontinue and terminate the suit I initiated at the Federal High Court, Abuja against Gbajabiamila and other respondents.

1 Like

Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by kernel01: 3:48pm On Jun 04, 2019
abbey621:

Wow! Same people who called Saraki criminal, even without a single conviction. Una dey try.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by BrownRoofRep: 3:51pm On Jun 04, 2019
abbey621:

I suggest you go back and read my initial post more slowly. I don't have time to argue with kids not worthy to lick the bottom of my shoes!
Lol
You are a moro.n, kids indeed.
Keep insulting your father's age mate.
Who dash this poor beggar shoe?
Local beggers feeling funky, thanks to this Faceless forum.

Go back to the nonsense you wrote... judiciary cannot dismiss him because he is an elected legislature, that's what you learned from your Awolowo half education.
The court of law can dismiss anyone including the president. Empty brain!
Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by abbey621(m): 4:03pm On Jun 04, 2019
isthatso:

https://www.thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2019/05/speakership-why-i-withdrew-suit-to-disqualify-gbajabiamila-businessman/

A 48-year-old businessman, Mr Philip Undie, on Tuesday withdrew a suit he filed challenging the nomination of Mr Femi Gbajabiamila, a member of the House of Representative vying for the position of Speaker of the House of Representatives in the incoming 9th National Assembly.

The plaintiff is challenging the eligibility of Gbajabiamila to contest for the speakership of the house on the grounds that he has a criminal allegation in the state of Georgia, U.S.

News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Gbajabiamila is one of the leading candidates vying for speakership position.

Other respondents/defendants in the suit are: the House of Representatives, the Attorney General of the Federation and the All Progressives Congress (APC).

In the suit with No. FHC/ABJ/CS/539/2019 filed at the Federal High Court, Abuja, which is yet to be assigned to a Judge, Undie accused Gbajabiamila of being convicted in the state of Georgia, on Feb. 26, 2007, over criminal allegations.

The plaintiff in a letter: “Authorisation to file my withdrawal from suit No. FHC/ABJ/CS/539/2019″ and made available to newsmen on Tuesday in Abuja, said that he withdrew the suit, following the emergence of more facts that the defendant has no more criminal records in the U. S.

The plaintiff said in the latter dated May 27, 2019 which was signed by him:” it is necessary to discontinue the suit based on the facts available that Gbajabiamila has been cleared of criminal allegations in the state of Georgia and other parts of the U.S.

According to the plaintiff, a letter from the U.S. dated Aug. 30, 2010 indicated that Gbajabiamila has been cleared of every criminal allegations.

The plaintiff said that he was also in possession of an order by Justice Abdul-Kafarati of the Federal High Court on May 22, 2018 which was also in favour of Gbajabiamila.

Apart from letter of withdrawal, the plaintiff in another statement he signed said that the suit was filed in his innocent belief that Gbajabiamila ought not to be allowed to contest for speaker based on the information at his disposal.

“The suit was filed in my innocent belief that the first defendant, Rep. Femi Gbajabiamila ought not to be allowed to contest for the position of the Speaker of the House of Representatives based on information then at my disposal that he had been criminally convicted by the Supreme Court of the State of Georgia.

”Since the matter was filed at the Federal High Court, I have come into possession of more facts on the alleged criminal conviction which show beyond all doubt that the basis of the suit is found on misinformation and misrepresentation of facts.

”One of the documents I now have is a letter dated as far back as Aug. 30, 2010 issued by the State Bar of Georgia, the body involved in this matter and which regulate legal practice in Georga, indicating that Gbajabiamila has no record of criminal conviction in the State of Georgia or any part of America.

In fact, the letter states categorically that Femi Gbajabiamila ”is currently an active member in good standing of the State Bar of Georgia.

”In addition, I am also in possession of a copy of decision of Federal High Court, Abuja in suit FHC/ABJ/CS/501/2015 decided by Justice Abdul-Kafarati. in favour of Gbajabiamila on May 22, 2018 as the plaintiff in that case was unable to diligently prosecute the case.

”The suit in reference was based on the same facts as the one in which I am now the plaintiff.

“In view of the above therefore, I which to honourably announce my decision to immediately discontinue and terminate the suit I initiated at the Federal High Court, Abuja against Gbajabiamila and other respondents.

Sorry misquoted you.
Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by abbey621(m): 4:11pm On Jun 04, 2019
BrownRoofRep:

Lol
You are a moro.n, kids indeed.
Keep insulting your father's age mate.
Who dash this poor beggar she?
Local beggers feeling funky, thanks to this Faceless forum.

Go back to the nonsense you wrote... judiciary cannot dismiss him because he is an elected legislature, that's what you learned from your Awolowo half education.
The court of law can dismiss anyone including the president. Empty brain!

Unless you're over 60 years old, you and my father are not age mate. If you want to compare d.ick size and show up who's doing better than the other then by all means go ahead, drop your Facebook or Linkedin profile here and I'll drop mine. Let the forum users be the judge otherwise be mute! Moving on, instead of barking I suggest you go back and reread my initial post....The judiciary does not hold absolute power, they must operate within the confines of the Nigerian Constitution, an offense committed outside of Nigeria does not bar anyone from ever contesting an elected position, if you think otherwise PROVE it or SHUT UP!
Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by adetem(m): 4:13pm On Jun 04, 2019
Fear Nigeria politicians abeg, since the man femi have been in the house no problem but now they want to make him speaker problem blow out OK oooo. God dey watch una
Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by BrownRoofRep: 4:50pm On Jun 04, 2019
abbey621:

Unless you're over 60 years old, you and my father are not age mate. If you want to compare d.ick size and show up who's doing better than the other then by all means go ahead, drop your Facebook or Linkedin profile here and I'll drop mine. Let the forum users be the judge otherwise be mute! Moving on, instead of barking I suggest you go back and reread my initial post....The judiciary does not hold absolute power, they must operate within the confines of the Nigerian Constitution, an offense committed outside of Nigeria does not bar anyone from ever contesting an elected position, if you think otherwise PROVE it or SHUT UP!
Son, go home, you are drunk!
Do you want me to show you how many governors, senators and other office holders dismissed by Nigerian court?
Maybe you should direct them to hire private soldiers and impose themselves against the rulings of the court.

Keep spewing trash, you think you're doing me?
Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by abbey621(m): 4:55pm On Jun 04, 2019
BrownRoofRep:

Son, go home, you are drunk!
Do you want me to show you how many governors, senators and other office holders dismissed by Nigerian court?
Maybe you should direct them to hire private soldiers and impose themselves against the rulings of the court.

Keep spewing trash, you think you're doing me?

Show me the ones that were dismissed based on acts committed while living outside of Nigeria, otherwise feel free to carry on your show of shame. Once again I direct you to section 66 of the Nigerian Constitution for further enlightenment!
Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by BrownRoofRep: 5:02pm On Jun 04, 2019
abbey621:

Show me the ones that were dismissed based on acts committed while living outside of Nigeria, otherwise feel free to carry on your show of shame. Once again I direct you to section 66 of the Nigerian Constitution for further enlightenment!
Lol
Who cares what they do?
Your point was that court cannot dismiss an elected official, remember?
Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by abbey621(m): 5:07pm On Jun 04, 2019
BrownRoofRep:

Lol
Who cares what they do?
Your point was that court cannot dismiss an elected official, remember?

For your enlightenment I've included my initial post, now you can stop claiming ignorance!

People who know nothing about law speak with so much confidence. The mere fact that you think the judiciary has the power to remove an elected official by bypassing the legislative branch based on acts outside of Nigeria is beyond comprehension. Anyways lawyers and judge must chop.....Carry on grin grin grin
Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by femolii: 5:09pm On Jun 04, 2019
BrownRoofRep:

Lol
None of Afonja cone head moro.ns can be nowhere near Ojukwu.
Starting from your wretched family to the rest of the head slamming Afonja ritualists. grin
E pain u OSU
Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by olajizz01(m): 6:30pm On Jun 04, 2019
ednut1:
Lets just revolt abeg. This mockery too much
You can start it na,thank God,Buratai is still in charge,go and ask your biafrau.d brothers,he will put you where you ought to be.

When Saraki and his father that defrauded Nigerians in billions of naira through their moribund societal generale bank became SP,guess you were in comma then?but now that your political enemy was about to become Speaker,you suddenly awake from your comma.
Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by Ballmer: 7:05pm On Jun 04, 2019
Make your igbotic father’s wail from now to their respective untimely grave Gbajabiamila will still be the speaker.

Illuminados:
We dnt want a rogue and a criminal
kaen1317:
It's a fact that all our big men are thieves and rogues in suit and agbada
E
NigeriaIsDoomed:
wetin consign me consign Biafra.na foolishness and madness go make u think everybody na biafra.
Bethel4Life:
The way yoruba muslims will avoid this threae eh....
K
simonlee:
Fraudsters everywhere...
9jahotblog:
gbajabiamila is a controversial Nigeria lawmaker too. very bad..We can't allow someone with criminal record to head the lower chamber of the parliament.
dokyOloye:
So funny how they are trying to foist a convicted felon on d country as speaker of the HOR.
Anyway sha, no be zoo again? grin grin

Imagine if this man was Igbo or South South,afonja press for de use him thievery matter de do editorial every blessed day both for tv,print and online media.
Tocynone:
Sanity been restored to the country by the judiciary. We'll get there
Paperwhite:
Guess whatsoever that goes around now not only coming around but also stays around.Tinubu your wings are still being clipped.
NigeriaIsDoomed:
I swear! Nigerians idolize and dignify criminals. It is interesting to see the same folk who were tagging Atiku thief support this convicted criminal to become the speaker.
Like you rightly put, no be zoo again? grin
UbanmeUdie:
shocked

I have never seen such level of desperation for the position of speaker, House of Reps.

Na only God know watin Gbajabiamila dey pursue o

I sincerely hope he succeeds not.

A criminal cannot be enthroned in the green chambers.
Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by ChristianNorth: 7:34pm On Jun 04, 2019
Don't waste your money, the suit is statue bar and incompetent.
Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by EseBaba: 8:08pm On Jun 04, 2019
Kama!
Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by blacknp(m): 9:25pm On Jun 04, 2019
EseBaba:
Kama!
Keep quiet,it’s a no case submission,the Igbo man that filed the case is looking for Benjamin Franklin to grease his account,they should direct him to jagaban residing at bourdillon Ikoyi Lagos.
Re: Speakership: Court Orders Substituted Service On Gbajabiamila Over US Fraud by omoiyalayi(m): 3:24pm On Jul 07, 2019
Gandollar:
They could not stop him then Read my siggy oo

I hope you have now see that you are the most stupid Pdp & atiku supporter on earth

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buba Galadima: Those Asking Kwankwaso To Be Peter Obi’s Vice Are Not Politicians / Profile Of Caleb Mutfwang, Plateau State Governor-Elect / Itunu Hotonu - First Female Rear-Admiral

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.