Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,257 members, 7,829,501 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Is Nollywood Racist? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Is Nollywood Racist? (5886 Views)

Poll: Is Nollywood racist i.e. biased against white people?

Yes, it is.: 26% (6 votes)
No/irrelevant: 73% (17 votes)
This poll has ended

Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? / Is Nollywood Rivaling Black Hollywood? / Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by yelum(f): 9:40am On May 08, 2007
stupid stupid post. angry angry angry
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by romeo(m): 10:38am On May 08, 2007
Red_Lips:

yes. some even go on to Benin. so what is your point?
he made his point only that you chose to ignore it
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by talk2ahmed(m): 12:46pm On May 08, 2007
, Well what i think about the race thing in nollywood is that ,most producers are prejudiced towards actors from other divides, what makes it wrong to involve South Africans/Ghanians in our film acting to really make it panafrican? It makes it more acceptable in almost every part of AFRICA and the World
If we fear infiltration, why also is it that our home videos are dominated by one ethnic stock, you hardly have a good spread of people representing the many cultures in Nigeria, so ethicity and jingoisim should be tackled alongside racism
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by 9jaEzim: 1:26pm On May 08, 2007
[color=#550000][/color]

Nollywood is not racists but is there to mainly promote the culture of our people. In answer to your question whether we r racist i think that the answer clearly is no there have been many films that i have watched that white people did star is but probably the two most popular would be osuofia in London i know this is not the best of example because it doesn't really promote our people but please remember that it is a comedy but not meant to b taken seriously but done as a good laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asqk3fzrL9M&mode=related&search=

Another film that i ve watched which not only promote some Nigerian venue in London (mama calabar) but starred a British mixed race and her co star friend who was white. this film is called London Boy and was filmed in London, UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jOA0rYZoYw

Both this film have Nollywood A list Stars who work along unknown white actress, if Nigerian were as racists as you are suggesting why didn't they just used D list Nollywood celebritiesfor these films.

Bollywood to an extend can also be said to be racists because aside Bride and Prejudice and Bend it like Beckham how many other Bollywood films do you know that Star Whites.

Both Nollywood and Bollywood dnt really protrait Whites as being inferior to their culture in the same way that the whites do with their culture.

Please question why it is that Broadcasters like the BBC when doing a documentary about Africa but in particular Nigeria also emphasis and highlight our downfalls hence the latest being that of the election. Yes there is also some form of corruption in our elections however Nigeria as a whole are improving as a country and we are taking the right steps forward in their broadcasting did they talk about the achievements of the EFCC or the economic growth of calabar. Moreover did they do an extensive coverage of the presidential candidates on T.V and on their website.

May be its the Whites who are Racists to Nollywood just like they gave Bollywood a chance where white directors worked with the India or Asian directors maybe them they should work alongside Nigerian directors. Beside the point the only White directed film that was a success that highlighted our African culture but didn't star any famous African star that i have seen are the secret laughters of women starring Nia long .
phat girlz staring mo'nique although a black Film really lifts up the Nigerian Culture especially Yoruba (i m igbo) and if you do watch it there were alot of Nigerian extras and language supporters, though it is directed by a African America.

Really n truly Nollywood is not racists but is playing the waiting game of the western world to see its talent particularly the UK but i m positive about this and i know that our time will come but we have to be like Bollywood forever boosting the culture as a whole not just that of Nigerian or a particular subculture of it. Nollywood should aim to be investors of promoting African culture on a continent scale not just Nigeria.
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by 9jaEzim: 1:32pm On May 08, 2007
therefore see this topic a bit more or less pointless n not well research alot of ppl arguments r lacking evidence or proof of racist behaviour.
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by docokwy(m): 2:56pm On May 08, 2007
Ayo Adesanya (Full yoruba)
Desmond Elliot (Half Igbo, half yoruba)
Ramsey Noah (Half Yoruba, half Israel)
Dakore Egbuson (Full Ijaw)
Anita Hogan (Half Igbo, half Akwa Ibom)
Ini Edo (Full Akwa Ibom)
Segun Arinze (Half Igbo, half yoruba)
Jide Kosoko (Full Yoruba)
Omotola Jolade Ekeinde (Full Yoruba)
Bimbo Akintola (Full Yoruba)
Liz Benson (Akwa Ibom)
The don himself, Olu Jacobs, and his wife, Joke silva (Yoruba couple)
There is this other Yoruba lady who bleaches. She has also featured in many non-yoruba films
And, while some are, most of those barrel-chested guys who normally serve as bodyguards (bg) or hitmen (hm) are not Igbo. A good number of them are Ijaw/AkwaIbom or Delta Edo. You hadly find hunks amongst the Yorubas as their men are usually rotund and pot-bellied, so do not blame anyone if you can't be featured as a hm or bg grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
'

All these people and countless others are either not Igbo or are just half-Igbo. Yet they have featured in countless so-called English-Igbo movies. How many non-Yorubas have featured in Yoruba movies and why do the Yorubas choose to produce in their language if not to exclude others? As for hausa movies, I can only say try featuring and acting the nollywood way, and what you get is the sharia treatment
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by Besteric(m): 4:54pm On May 08, 2007
question that we should be asking is y nollywood is very tribalistic in nature. everything about nollywood is tribalistic.
the english version is dominated by Igbos, are they the best actors/actresses we ave in nigeria i guess not.
95% of all the cast in a normaal home video(english version) are igbos, igbo related, culture igbo, na only igbo dey for nigeria. any village sceen must be from the east.
they can't even explore the other regions like the north, west, south south.

thats one of the reasons nollywood still remains wacked and messed up.

now yourubas have seggregated themselves to be acting their own.
probably the hausas will start their own soon.

honestly we are still far away in nolllywood.

am not a yoruba person but if am to watch a nollywood movie it has to be a yoruba epic movie, its more natural and nigerian like::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Whats wrong with the black race?? wether Igbos dominate Nollywood or not s not the matter, Jews from Eastern Europe founded Hollywood and during its early stage, Jews made up over 80%of actors, producers and directors but now, its an American thing and it generates revenue, popularity and fame to America and not Israel, Even if Igbos dominate Nollywood, its still seen outside as Nigerian film Industry and not Igbo film industry, Another thing is that Yoruba or Hausa moneybags might not want to invest in the business of marketing and production of quality films,, Then if igbo merchants do that, whats the big deal?? na wa for Blacks,,,,,,,, i go soon change to blue cuz even whotes get their own wahala,
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by Besteric(m): 5:03pm On May 08, 2007
If igbo merchants are bankrolling films, importing modern film making equipments, producing and marketing them, whats de big dealnigerian sef tire me,, so a film staring, Pete edochie(igbo) ramsey Nouah(half yoruba) Desmond elliot(half Igbo/yoruba) Zack Orji(igbo) patt Attah(igbo) Lanre Falana(youruba) Kate henshaw(efik) we go still call am Igbo Films, buhahahahahahahahah
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by simeony(m): 5:44pm On May 08, 2007
this topic is thrash because i HAVE seen films which feature whites
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by RedLips3(f): 5:52pm On May 08, 2007
I like how docwyx turned a thread about why isnt there white people in Nollywood to "why does Yoruba movies speak Yourba"

Dude you are so embarrassing.
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by RedLips3(f): 5:59pm On May 08, 2007
Ehie007link=topic=52251.msg1100529#msg1100529 date=1178639693:

now yourubas have seggregated themselves to be acting their own.

I agreed with all that you said but keep in mind that Yoruba movies were around YEARS before the whole English Nolly thing came to play.
As for the person saying that non Yorubas arent featured in Yoruba movies, how about you watch a few before making that assumption. Last I checked Zach Orji, Sandra Achums and co werent Yoruba and many feature in the movies as long as they can speak the language.
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by nguage(m): 7:15pm On May 08, 2007
te dude who started this thread should be beanned. All his posts are always anti-nigerian. I recall him saying nigerians look like monkeys on one of his posts. I am tired of irrelevant crap. How many white peeps live in Nigeria
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by RedLips3(f): 7:19pm On May 08, 2007
Rofl you always seem to be around xytcod everywhere docwqyxd yarns his garbage. Perhaps you two are bedmates? Is he good? cheesy

anyway total agree with n-guage. I really dont get why elody is here.
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by naijaway(m): 1:51am On May 09, 2007
Y r nigerians always whinning about this homevideos when anyone with a good script and a budget can do it. So tell me what this buzz is about. I love my Nigerian peoples and west African peoples but yes am sensitive to other races infiltration.
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by superman(m): 3:14pm On May 09, 2007
nigerian movies are made for nigerians and if u dnt like it that way go and hang

end of story
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by naijadiva2(f): 9:10pm On May 09, 2007
@topic

that is a stupid question to ask. in america, would you see other foreigners acting in their movies. no! only in certain movies. in bollywood would you see a black or white man acting in their movies no! nigerian movies reflect the nigerican life. american movies reflect the american life, latino movies reflect the latin life. why would we have a white man acting in our movies. are their white man acting in yall (east african) movie if you even get movie sef.
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by superman(m): 10:23pm On May 09, 2007
no mind dem

folish nigerians
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by Nobody: 9:38am On May 10, 2007
docokwy:

How many non-Yorubas have featured in Yoruba movies

A huge display of ignorance again! ! ! What will it cost you to do your 'homework' before coming here to display your ignorance?
Below is a list of Ibo/half Ibos that co-starred in yoruba movies(just to name a few)
RMD---                      Ayomida
Georgina Iwuoha----Olabisi omo logbalogba
Grace Amah----         Agbeke, Iru oka, Eji owuro
 Liz Benson-----         Eeku ida
Emeka Ike----          Eeku ida
Shan George----       KKK
Lilian Bach-----          oloju ede
Steph Nora Okere----Awenibaku, Aye jobele
Jumai Joseph  -----    Ale ariwo
Earnest Asuzu-----    Aago kan oru
Hanks anuku----       Ogidan

I can't remember these two guys' names,but check Eru and Oru,two new movies produced by Ayo Adesanya Hassan,the lead actors are not yorubas!

docokwy:

why do the Yorubas choose to produce in their language if not to exclude others?

The same reason Ibos produce Ibo movies in Ibo language.
I don't understand the rationale behind your post, but if it's to cause another yoruba/ibo fracas, you've missed the road as no one is interested in that now.
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by swiftycool(m): 10:42am On May 11, 2007
@ Topic
It aint Really that way, u see Holly, sorry Bolly, I mean Nollywood actually features whites from time 2 time
But u know that can be quite expensive for most of our low-budjetting producers
Thats why they mostly use cheap Lebaneese, or other broke arabs for white intended parts
In other cases they pick up any broke white without the slightest cue of acting just to save cost
But at least they get their viewers believing anyways. Dem dey try
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by swiftycool(m): 10:42am On May 11, 2007
@ Topic
It aint Really that way,  u see Holly, sorry Bolly, I mean Nollywood actually features whites from time 2 time
But u know that can be quite expensive for most of our low-budjetting producers
Thats why they mostly use cheap Lebaneese, or other broke arabs for white intended parts
In other cases they pick up any broke white without the slightest cue of acting just to save cost
But at least they get their viewers believing anyways. Dem dey try
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by RedLips3(f): 6:46pm On May 11, 2007
candy:

A huge display of ignorance again! ! ! What will it cost you to do your 'homework' before coming here to display your ignorance?
Below is a list of Ibo/half Ibos that co-starred in yoruba movies(just to name a few)
RMD--- Ayomida
Georgina Iwuoha----Olabisi omo logbalogba
Grace Amah---- Agbeke, Iru oka, Eji owuro
Liz Benson----- Eeku ida
Emeka Ike---- Eeku ida
Shan George---- KKK
Lilian Bach----- oloju ede
Steph Nora Okere----Awenibaku, Aye jobele
Jumai Joseph ----- Ale ariwo
Earnest Asuzu----- Aago kan oru
Hanks anuku---- Ogidan

I can't remember these two guys' names,but check Eru and Oru,two new movies produced by Ayo Adesanya Hassan,the lead actors are not yorubas!

The same reason Ibos produce Ibo movies in Ibo language.
I don't understand the rationale behind your post, but if it's to cause another yoruba/ibo fracas, you've missed the road as no one is interested in that now.

Thank you jare. Someone with intelligence.

and yes dowxytd's sole purpose on NL has always been a way to cause Everyone vs Yorubas friction. His whole schtick is so tired.
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by Eurphoria(f): 8:53pm On May 11, 2007
how can nollywood be racist? hiss
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by BBoy3(m): 12:19am On May 12, 2007
Simply cos no whites go to Nigeria to act - when there's plenty other opportunity to make crazy money sad
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by ashaki33(f): 11:55pm On Jul 14, 2007
I too am African-American. I LOVE Nollywood movies. I have only been watching them for about a year and a half. I watch them on line and I order them as well. I don't miss the special effects found in Hollywood movies. Many of the Nollywood movies keep me glued to my seat and looking forward to Part II & III. To the African-American who compared Nollywood to Hollywood, remember Nollywood is Nollywood and Hollywood is Hollywood. Learn to appreciate each for what its uniqueness. I do.

I see nothing wrong with Nollywood employing primarily Nigerians since Nollywood is in Nigeria. The original poster's question is outlandish and even insulting. I guess Bollywood , as far as this poster is concerned, must find whites to put in their movies. Does Hollywood go around the world on a regular basis to find people from other countries to put in its movies just so they won't be viewed as a racist? I say keep up the good work Nollywood.
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by ashaki33(f): 12:14am On Jul 15, 2007
I am responding to PMDaboh's post. You appear to be showing that "Ugly American" attitude when talking about Nollywood movies. First of all, how much of the various Nigerian cultures do you understand? Who says they express themselves in the same manner as Americans do? It, in my opinion,is very unfair that you judge Nollywood movies by American standards. As much as we, African-Americans, are stereotyped and misjudged, we should try to avoid doing it to others.
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by zigbo(f): 7:22am On Jul 15, 2007
the original poster of this thread is daft *sori i had 2 speak my mind* nigeria is nt a black nd white nation lik SA,most white people are either here to work(oil,construction etc) or are on a short term vacation.Moreover nig.movies arent always fiction most of d events occur,but unfortunately nt btw a nigerian nd a white.i believe wen they want to make a movie on abduction in d niger delta then u'll c as much whites as you want*dats if dey even c those dat wil agree to act 4 nollywood

com 2 think of it i ve seen some whites in quite a nos. of nollywood movies.
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by swiftycool(m): 12:08am On Sep 26, 2007
Ignorant lot, confusing Racism with Tribalism
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by anonymous6(f): 7:11pm On May 15, 2012
Elody-Ann:
Why are there no white actors in Nigeria? Why go to another country and complain about lack of opportunities there then disallow people from other races from acting in your films? Why are all the actors Nigerian?

because Nigeria is a Black African country and Nollywood represents the culture & people of the tribes of Nigeria for the most part, you don't see whites running around in Nigeria every 2 seconds, do you?, when it comes to Nigerians in America, they don't complain about not having opportunities in Hollywood, it is African Americans that do that, which they have a right to. So your complaint is rubbish
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by Obelomo: 12:35pm On May 21, 2012
This thread is kind of funny to me, because how many whites can act African things. I have seen white people and foreigners in the African films but not too many. The post that said Yoruba films only put Yorubas that one na big lie!

Tony Umez did a number of Yoruba films-Oyato, Timba Taye Wa, No Rival(Kosorogun),
Ngozi Nwosu-Plenty of Yoruba movies-Asiri Eko, Elebolo, etc.(More popular in Yoruba films than English films)!
Shan George-Larinloodu,Etc.(plenty)
Kelvin Ikeduba-Too many! Infact they call him a lot
Enebeli Elebua-Ogidan,Abeke(Too many)
Alex Usifo-36 Kiniun, City Girls, Oyato, Ogidan and more
Grace Amah-Too many
These are just a list of few non-Yoruba who been in more than one film.

Even many of our everyday actors and actresses are not from Yoruba origin. For example, Rachel Oniga, Doris Simeon, Mercy Aigbe, Ricardo Agbor, etc.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Best Nigerian Movie( Letter To A Stranger) / Your Top 3 Tv Series For 2014 / Whats The Best And Most Intriguing Seasonal Movie You've Ever Watched?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.