Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,948 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:59 AM

A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist (3364 Views)

See How This Equation And Analogy Prove The Idea Of The Trinity Wrong / Questions And Answers For Atheist / Thought Provoking Questions For Atheist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by freelance(m): 10:04am On May 07, 2007
"A little one shall become a thousand and a small one a strong nation. I the LORD will hasten it in his time." Isaiah 60:22

BEAUTIFUL ANALOGY!

A man went to a barbershop to have his hair cut and
his beard trimmed.

As the barber began to work, they began to have a good
conversation.
They talked about so many things and various subjects.
When they eventually touched on the subject of God, the barber said: "I
don't believe that God exists."

"Why do you say that?" asked the customer.

"Well, you just have to go out in the street to
realize that God doesn't exist. Tell me, if God exists, would there be so many sick people?

Would there be abandoned children? If God existed, there would be neither
suffering nor pain.

I can't imagine a loving God who would allow all of these things."

The customer thought for a moment, but didn't respond because he didn't want to start an argument.

The barber finished his job and the customer left the shop. Just after he left the barbershop, he saw a man in the street with long, stringy, dirty hair and an untrimmed beard. He looked dirty and unkempt.

The customer turned back and entered the barber shop again and he said to the barber: "You know what? Barbers do not exist."

"How can you say that?" asked the surprised barber."I am here, and Iam abarber. And I just worked on you!"

"No!" the customer exclaimed. "Barbers don't exist because if they did, there would be no people with dirty long hair and
untrimmed beards, like that man outside."

"Ah, but barbers DO exist! " answered the barber. "What happens, is,people do not come to me."

"Exactly!"- affirmed the customer. "That's the point! God, too, DOES exist!
What happens, is, people don't go to Him and do not look for Him.

That's why there's so much pain and suffering in the world."

Take it or leave it BABA GOD exists

Cheers! grin
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by Reverend(m): 10:13am On May 07, 2007
No reasonable and free thinking individual can accept the existence of a being whose nature is as contradictory as that of Yahweh, the "perfect" creator of our imperfect universe.

The existence of Yahweh is as impossible as the existence of cubic spheres or invisible pink unicorns.

While believers may find comfort in being faithful to impossibilities, there is no greater satisfaction than a clear mind. You may choose to serve an impossible God. I will choose reality over fairy stories any day.

1 Like

Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by Reverend(m): 10:15am On May 07, 2007
The Bible is imperfect. It only takes one imperfection to destroy the supposed perfection of the alleged Word of God. Many have been found. A perfect God who reveals his perfect will in an imperfect book is impossible.

Open you eyes lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by Reverend(m): 10:17am On May 07, 2007
The ultimate source of imperfection is God. What is perfect cannot make itself imperfect, so humans must have been created imperfect.

What is perfect cannot create anything imperfect, so God must be imperfect to have created these imperfect humans. A perfect God who creates imperfect humans is impossible.
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by mrmayor(m): 12:18pm On May 07, 2007
The barber never claim to be the creator of the unkempt man ,he never claim to love him from his mothers womb,to take care of him,solve all his problems.The barber only provides a service to those who enter his shop,they pay him and he delivers every time.

A Supernatural Being is supposed to be the creator,who gave life to all,their carer in time of need,if a God creates a man allows him to suffer,pain,hunger etc then that God can not be MERCIFUL,KIND,LOVING,CARING etc.
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by nferyn(m): 3:13pm On May 07, 2007
Reverend:

The existence of Yahweh is as impossible as the existence of cubic spheres or invisible pink unicorns.
This is incorrect, the existence of Yahweh is logically impossible, just as cubic spheres are logically impossible. The existence of Invisible pink unicorns on the other hand has a probability of non zero and they are thus more likely to exist than Yahweh.
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by ricadelide(m): 9:31pm On May 07, 2007
nferyn:

This is incorrect, the existence of Yahweh is logically impossible, just as cubic spheres are logically impossible. The existence of Invisible pink unicorns on the other hand has a probability of non zero and they are thus more likely to exist than Yahweh.
Tick, tock, tick, tock,,,,,,,,how old are you now? 65 more years (or thereabout) and you'd get to know the truth.
Lol,
Seriously though, i'm determined you find out before then. I asked you someplace else what your reasons for the 'logical impossibility' of Yahweh are, and you've not responded. I'd be willing to address the issues you raise later on. So do holla.
Cheers. cheesy
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by KAG: 10:38pm On May 07, 2007
freelance:

"A little one shall become a thousand and a small one a strong nation. I the LORD will hasten it in his time." Isaiah 60:22

BEAUTIFUL ANALOGY!

The analogy is neither beautiful nor apt.

"No!" the customer exclaimed. "Barbers don't exist because if they did, there would be no people with dirty long hair and
untrimmed beards, like that man outside."

"Ah, but barbers DO exist! " answered the barber. "What happens, is,people do not come to me."

"Exactly!"- affirmed the customer. "That's the point! God, too, DOES exist!
What happens, is, people don't go to Him and do not look for Him.

That's why there's so much pain and suffering in the world."

Incidentally, many other theists will assure that pain and suffering aren't a result of people not seeking God; while, and this is true, many have searched for a God and found none. Go figure.

nferyn:

Ergo, the Invisible Pink Unicorn exists. Blessed be her horned hoof
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by English1(f): 12:32am On May 08, 2007
That's rubbish. The analogy doesn't work at all.

How does it explain how some people without God can live long happy healthy lives and some people with God do nothing but suffer? If you go to the barber, your hair will be cut. If you don't go to the barber, your hair will not be cut. If you have god, you can still suffer. If you don't have god, you still can have no suffering in your life.

1 Like

Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by Nobody: 1:06am On May 08, 2007
an agglomeration of those whose consciences prick them daily and have to assure themselves and not us that indeed God does not exist.
Those of us who have felt His power know better.
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by naijacutee(f): 1:12am On May 08, 2007
davidylan:

God bless you davidylan
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by nferyn(m): 8:00am On May 08, 2007
ricadelide:

I asked you someplace else what your reasons for the 'logical impossibility' of Yahweh are, and you've not responded. I'd be willing to address the issues you raise later on. So do holla.
Cheers. cheesy
I'm getting mired up in several threads at the same time, sometimes I don't know what to respond to first. Here I just copy my contribution from another thread:

1. Falsification on logical grounds:
The omnipotent, omnibenevolent and omniscient God is self contradictory: omnipotence and omniscience contradict the fact that God, in his holy books, has needs, wants and desires: an omniscient, omnipotent God cannot have needs and wants because reality cannot be anything but the emmanation of God's mere being. As reality is not the emmanation of God's wants (God having negative feelings about his creation: sorrow, sadness, anger, etc), he cannot be both omnipotent and omniscient at the same time.
Omnipotence, omniscience, omnibenevolence and the problem of evil in the world: with an omnimax God evil cannot exist in this world, because everything God wants, just is. If God doesn't want evil to exist, it wouldn't, as God is omnipotent and omniscient. Evil exists, thus God is either not omnibenevolent or he isn't omniscient and omnipotent at the same time. The classical apologetical anwser to this contradiction is the existence of free will, but that's only a weak defense, as free will logically implies choice, choice implies an indeterminate future, an indeterminate future contradicts God's omniscience. Even if you would assume that intentional evil (as being carried out by independent agents, such as humans) could be explained away by waving the free will card - which it can't on logical grounds - the problem of natural evil (earthquakes, droughts, tsunami's, etc) still remains
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by KAG: 9:37pm On May 08, 2007
davidylan:

an agglomeration of those whose consciences prick them daily and have to assure themselves

I agree; there really can't be any other reason for people, particularly Christians, continually posting terrible analogies that really don't address any issues logically. If you want an analogy that works, look up Flew's one.

and not us that indeed God does not exist.

Exactly.

Blessed be his horned hooves?
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by zuluman(m): 12:52pm On May 09, 2007
@ All who doubt the existence of God or assert that there is no God

First off, please read & UNDERSTAND the bible from the first page to the last page before you make conclusions. If you have read the bible completely, and you still assert that there is no God - then I am willing to help in explaining the bible to you so that you can UNDERSTAND that God truly exists and he is on the throne. Because I know from experience that some people need good tuition from a good tutor before they can understand - BUT PLEASE UNDERSTAND it's only GOD that gives people the priviledge to understand his word in the bible.

Secondly, many people claim that there is no God because of the pains of this world, such as sickness, suicides etc,
BUT I want you to understand one thing I'm about to point out:
In the bible, Genesis 25:23, Exodus 9:16, Romans 9:12-23, God said that he choses whom he would have mercy on. (For those of you with bible please refer to the bible). It is just like the case of a potter who molds clay pots. The potter can CHOSE to make one clay pot to be very good and he can CHOSE to make another pot scrappy. The clay pot has no power to protest its design against its creator! That is the analogy for humans versus God. Likewise, we humans are like clay pots and God is like the potter! This analogy was pointed out by Malachi who is a prophet of God. This settles those who claim God's non-existence becuase of irregularites in life.

Thirdly, God has the power to destroy the body and the soul. All you that say God doesn't exist, when you have finished your time on earth, where do you think you are going? I would love to hear your reply please. You should really be scared o. After your time on earth where do you think you are going? Please ask yourself! Isn't it scary? You better believe in God. there is a heaven for those who believe in God and there is a hell for the children of perdition. Hell is not a place I would like anyone from this forum to be. Hell is nasty. In the book of Mark (New testament) it was mentioned that in hell, the fire never burns out and the worms there never die. Isn't that scary enough to make you believe in God? Please change your life by accepting God's existence and ask for forgiveness.

Finally, God is perfect! No arguments please. If you are questioning the perfection of God based on the fact that people are born with illness and all deformations then read my second paragraph. Also bear in mind that God also mentioned that he punishes the sins of people up until the 3rd and 4th generations of the actual sinner! God said that he is the "I am" - God choses whom to have mercy on. A person that choses to do something cannot be labelled as imperfect can they?

I know life may be crazy but God sees everything. If there is something you are going through, you can email me on stongzulu@yahoo.com, I would join you in prayer for a divine miracle in your life. God is able to do much more than you can ever ask for, please bear this in mind.

Say this prayer:

God, I have come to you today, please forgive me of my sins. Let your glory shine in my life. Amen.

God bless you.
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by nferyn(m): 10:16pm On May 09, 2007
zuluman:

@ All who doubt the existence of God or assert that there is no God

First off, please read & UNDERSTAND the bible from the first page to the last page before you make conclusions. If you have read the bible completely, and you still assert that there is no God - then I am willing to help in explaining the bible to you so that you can UNDERSTAND that God truly exists and he is on the throne. Because I know from experience that some people need good tuition from a good tutor before they can understand - BUT PLEASE UNDERSTAND it's only GOD that gives people the priviledge to understand his word in the bible.
OK, I have read the Bible completely (although it's been a while) and I have hardly ever read such a hermetic contradictory piece of literature. I'm really not into badly written fiction. What exactly do you plan to tutor?

zuluman:

Secondly, many people claim that there is no God because of the pains of this world, such as sickness, suicides etc,
BUT I want you to understand one thing I'm about to point out:
In the bible, Genesis 25:23, Exodus 9:16, Romans 9:12-23, God said that he choses whom he would have mercy on. (For those of you with bible please refer to the bible).
You mean all the babies and young children that suffer really are the choice of God? What a wicked character that God must be to make newborn babies suffer such horrible faiths.

zuluman:

It is just like the case of a potter who molds clay pots. The potter can CHOSE to make one clay pot to be very good and he can CHOSE to make another pot scrappy. The clay pot has no power to protest its design against its creator! That is the analogy for humans versus God.
Obviously clay has got free will that enables it to choose another path in life as to avoid a horrible faith or hasn't it? But that would defeat your argument now, wouldn't it? Or maybe humans don't have any free will at all.

zuluman:

Likewise, we humans are like clay pots and God is like the potter! This analogy was pointed out by Malachi who is a prophet of God. This settles those who claim God's non-existence becuase of irregularites in life.
Assuming the consequent. A very nice logical phalacy. You may want to [i]choose [/i]to look it up.

zuluman:

Thirdly, God has the power to destroy the body and the soul.
Really, and what makes you think such a thing as should exists?

zuluman:

All you that say God doesn't exist, when you have finished your time on earth, where do you think you are going?
I'm going to decompose after the doctors have harvested all still useful organs from my body. Basically, I'm not going anywhere, as I, as an entity, will have ceased to exist.

zuluman:

I would love to hear your reply please. You should really be scared o. After your time on earth where do you think you are going? Please ask yourself! Isn't it scary?
No actually, it isn't scary at all.

zuluman:

You better believe in God. there is a heaven for those who believe in God and there is a hell for the children of perdition. Hell is not a place I would like anyone from this forum to be. Hell is nasty.
Has anyone ever detected that famous hell? Any evidence for it's existence?

zuluman:

In the book of Mark (New testament) it was mentioned that in hell, the fire never burns out and the worms there never die. Isn't that scary enough to make you believe in God? Please change your life by accepting God's existence and ask for forgiveness.
Fear, the ultimate weapon in the apologetic's arsenal. Your mental abuse doesn't stick to us well grounded adults. Unfortunately, hardly anybody stops you people to strike fear in the hearts of the innocent children. If the same tactics were used for anything else but religious indoctrination, we would label it child abuse. Sadly enough few people see religious indoctrination for what it really is.

zuluman:

Finally, God is perfect! No arguments please.
The sky is purple because I say so. Or something similar.

zuluman:

If you are questioning the perfection of God based on the fact that people are born with illness and all deformations then read my second paragraph. Also bear in mind that God also mentioned that he punishes the sins of people up until the 3rd and 4th generations of the actual sinner! God said that he is the "I am" - God choses whom to have mercy on. A person that choses to do something cannot be labelled as imperfect can they?
Such a person can only be described as perfectly evil. Punishing the innocent for the sins of their fathers. What a wicked character.

zuluman:

I know life may be crazy but God sees everything. If there is something you are going through, you can email me on stongzulu@yahoo.com, I would join you in prayer for a divine miracle in your life. God is able to do much more than you can ever ask for, please bear this in mind.
Would I even want to worship such an unpleasant, mysogenic, capricious and cruel character? Maybe you could, I definitely wouldn't

zuluman:

Say this prayer:

God, I have come to you today, please forgive me of my sins. Let your glory shine in my life. Amen.
Can you explain to me the concept of sin? I just don't understand
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by zuluman(m): 11:11am On May 10, 2007
OK, I have read the Bible completely (although it's been a while) and I have hardly ever read such a hermetic contradictory piece of literature. I'm really not into badly written fiction. What exactly do you plan to tutor?
Sadly, you don't seem to understand the bible yet. Remember I said that it is God that gives people the priviledge to UNDERSTAND his Word in the bible. I really don't blame you for doubting God's existence - Even Thomas (a disciple of Jesus Christ) doubted, but Jesus revealed himself in full. My prayer for you, is that God should reveal himself to you. Then you would be challenging anyone that says God doesn't exist, just like I am challenging you and praying for you. In the bible, it is mentioned that "it is not by power or by might, but by the spirit sayeth the Lord" Using your power to read the bible doesn't guarantee that you would understand the bible. When I say "power" here, I mean the power you have, relating to your ability to speak English or any other language fluently and your ability to understand a piece of information. You may be a graduate of Havard University or any other reputable institution BUT that doesn't give you the edge to understand God's Word. In the bible, it is mentioned that God's Word sounds like the word of a mad man to the children of perdition.

You mean all the babies and young children that suffer really are the choice of God? What a wicked character that God must be to make newborn babies suffer such horrible faiths.
In the bible, Genesis 25:23, Exodus 9:16, Romans 9:12-23, God said that he choses whom he would have mercy on. (For those of you with bible please refer to the bible). The text I bolded, should answer your question!

Obviously clay has got free will that enables it to choose another path in life as to avoid a horrible faith or hasn't it? But that would defeat your argument now, wouldn't it? Or maybe humans don't have any free will at all.
Can you tell me the other part in life that a clay has? I am not arguing with you. I am telling you the truth.

I'm going to decompose after the doctors have harvested all still useful organs from my body. Basically, I'm not going anywhere, as I, as an entity, will have ceased to exist.
Of course you are going somewhere, don't decieve yourself. I don't know which of the two you would end up. There is no free zone. You either end up in Heaven or Hell. What you need to do to get to Heaven is to believe in Jesus Christ. John 3:16.

Fear, the ultimate weapon in the apologetic's arsenal. Your mental abuse doesn't stick to us well grounded adults. Unfortunately, hardly anybody stops you people to strike fear in the hearts of the innocent children. If the same tactics were used for anything else but religious indoctrination, we would label it child abuse. Sadly enough few people see religious indoctrination for what it really is.
I'm happy you have no fear. I like people that do not fear anything BUT God (I pray you fear God). I'm not trying to scare you by describing hell. The description of Hell is a warning. Assume you have a child, and that child is walking towards a pit filled with snakes. What would you do? Would you keep quiet and let the child walk towards the pit and eventually fall into the pit BECAUSE you don't want to tell the child to stop walking in the path of total destruction.
Would you also keep quiet because, if you tell the child not to walk towards the pit, he/she may demand a reason, and because you don't want to "mentally abuse" the kid, you just remain silent, insisting that the kid doesnt need to know that the pit is filled with snakes. Of course, there are some anxious kids that if you don't tell them the consequences of their actions they may end up doing it.

Why do governments mention the consequences of committing murder? Why do they tell the world what they do to murderers. If you have a bank account, why does your bank tell you what they would do if you overdraw money than you have, from your bank account (You may be a comfortable billionaire, I don't know your status). Even if you are Bill Gates, If you open a bank account, some banks would still give you some documents showing what they would do, if you overdraw money. Why do you think banks mention this It is to warn you because they love you as their customer and they don't want you to suffer! You may as well campaign against this "mental abuse" that our banks are doing to us eh, You may as well campaign against governments for telling us about the punishment if we do certain things! Isn't that "mental abuse" according to what you have said. It is just a warning for those over anxious humans. Are you in the United Kingdom? In the United Kingdom, at car parks, there are notice boards which warns drivers about the consequences of not buying a parking permit! There may be some in Nigeria too.

Those who have personal communication with God knows there is a Hell and Heaven. Pray for God to bless you with the Holy Spirit.

Would I even want to worship such an unpleasant, mysogenic, capricious and cruel character? Maybe you could, I definitely wouldn't
In the bible, God hardened pharaoh's heart so that he wouldn't listen to what Moses was saying. At the end pharaoh perished. And Yes it was God that hardened pharaoh's heart!

Sin = Not believing in Jesus Christ.
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by nferyn(m): 1:00pm On May 10, 2007
zuluman:

Sadly, you don't seem to understand the bible yet.
Now that's an easy cop out if you can find one. I don't agree with your point of view so it must be because I don't understand what you're saying. Could you consider the possibility that your point of view is nonsensical and thus any level of understanding would be mute.

zuluman:

Remember I said that it is God that gives people the priviledge to UNDERSTAND his Word in the bible.
The only thing that would satisfy your criterion of understanding is me accepting the validity of your point of view. It's hard to get more circular in your reasoning.

zuluman:

I really don't blame you for doubting God's existence - Even Thomas (a disciple of Jesus Christ) doubted, but Jesus revealed himself in full. My prayer for you, is that God should reveal himself to you.
Personal revelation has zero impact on a truth claim. Countless people have had a personal revelation that they were Napoleon reincarnated, but that doesn't make them Napoleon at all; You need external evidence for validation. As far as the Bible is concerned, there exists no external evidence at all. The only thing you can do is point to the Bible (or some exegesis thereof) to prove the Bible.

zuluman:

Then you would be challenging anyone that says God doesn't exist, just like I am challenging you and praying for you.
I probably would, ond I would be very deluded indeed.

zuluman:

In the bible, it is mentioned that "it is not by power or by might, but by the spirit sayeth the Lord" Using your power to read the bible doesn't guarantee that you would understand the bible. When I say "power" here, I mean the power you have, relating to your ability to speak English or any other language fluently and your ability to understand a piece of information. You may be a graduate of Havard University or any other reputable institution BUT that doesn't give you the edge to understand God's Word. In the bible, it is mentioned that God's Word sounds like the word of a mad man to the children of perdition.
Another piece of circular reasoning.

zuluman:

In the bible, Genesis 25:23, Exodus 9:16, Romans 9:12-23, God said that he choses whom he would have mercy on. (For those of you with bible please refer to the bible). The text I bolded, should answer your question!
Yes it does. The answer is that God is a wicked character.

zuluman:

Can you tell me the other part in life that a clay has? I am not arguing with you. I am telling you the truth.
Yes, and I know you tell me the truth because you tell me so. Very convenient.

zuluman:

Of course you are going somewhere, don't decieve yourself. I don't know which of the two you would end up. There is no free zone. You either end up in Heaven or Hell. What you need to do to get to Heaven is to believe in Jesus Christ. John 3:16.
Ah, using the Bible to validate the content of the Bible, now that's the way to go. Please, pray tell me, where do I find any evidence for the existence of heaven and hell?

zuluman:

I'm happy you have no fear. I like people that do not fear anything BUT God (I pray you fear God).
There are lots of things I fear, but my faith after death and God are not among those things.

zuluman:

I'm not trying to scare you by describing hell. The description of Hell is a warning. Assume you have a child, and that child is walking towards a pit filled with snakes. What would you do? Would you keep quiet and let the child walk towards the pit and eventually fall into the pit BECAUSE you don't want to tell the child to stop walking in the path of total destruction.
Fear of imaginary entities is unjustified. Giving children anxiety, nightmares and feelings of guilt, just in case your fairy tale may turn out to be true is unjustified. Teaching children about hell as if it's real is child abuse.

zuluman:

Would you also keep quiet because, if you tell the child not to walk towards the pit, he/she may demand a reason, and because you don't want to "mentally abuse" the kid, you just remain silent, insisting that the kid doesnt need to know that the pit is filled with snakes. Of course, there are some anxious kids that if you don't tell them the consequences of their actions they may end up doing it.
I wouldn't want you anywhere near my children with that attitude. Your pit of snakes does not exist. There is no evidence for your pit of snakes.

zuluman:

Why do governments mention the consequences of committing murder? Why do they tell the world what they do to murderers.
Because murder, does have objective negative consequences that can be investigated and evidenced. This is very different from your hell and heaven.

zuluman:

If you have a bank account, why does your bank tell you what they would do if you overdraw money than you have, from your bank account (You may be a comfortable billionaire, I don't know your status). Even if you are Bill Gates, If you open a bank account, some banks would still give you some documents showing what they would do, if you overdraw money. Why do you think banks mention this It is to warn you because they love you as their customer and they don't want you to suffer!
those consequences, contrary to yours, are real.

zuluman:

You may as well campaign against this "mental abuse" that our banks are doing to us eh,
I have seen the consequences of instilling good old 'fear of God' in children. There is no justification for that.

zuluman:

You may as well campaign against governments for telling us about the punishment if we do certain things! Isn't that "mental abuse" according to what you have said. It is just a warning for those over anxious humans. Are you in the United Kingdom? In the United Kingdom, at car parks, there are notice boards which warns drivers about the consequences of not buying a parking permit! There may be some in Nigeria too.
Hey wonderful, what a nice range of analogies: comparing hell to the consequences of overdrafts or not buying a parking ticket. Eternal torment is really comparable to being fined for not buying a parking ticket, isn't it.

zuluman:

Those who have personal communication with God knows there is a Hell and Heaven. Pray for God to bless you with the Holy Spirit.
I fear all those with the arrogance and self-centredness of having been in personal communication with God.

zuluman:

In the bible, God hardened pharaoh's heart so that he wouldn't listen to what Moses was saying. At the end pharaoh perished. And Yes it was God that hardened pharaoh's heart!
Such a loving, caring, compassionate character he is, that God of yours. He is totally unworthy of my respect, let alone my worship.

zuluman:

Sin = Not believing in Jesus Christ.
I'm quite certain the majority of theologians would agree with you on that one grin
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by zuluman(m): 3:15pm On May 10, 2007
@ nferyn

Why did you stop believing in God's existence? Did someone do something bad to you? Or is it what you are seeing going on in the World today? Or is it any bad situation you are in?
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by nferyn(m): 3:25pm On May 10, 2007
zuluman:

@ nferyn

Why did you stop believing in God's existence?
I never believed in God, so I never stopped believing in God. Belief in God is thoroughly bewildering to me.

zuluman:

Did someone do something bad to you? Or is it what you are seeing going on in the World today? Or is it any bad situation you are in?
Nothing of that sort. All is going pretty well. Good job, happily married, great children, ,
Why do you assume that something is wrong with me?
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by TayoD(m): 3:38pm On May 10, 2007
@nferyn,

Because it takes some degree of madness to see a creation and insists there is no Creator.
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by stimulus(m): 3:45pm On May 10, 2007
TayoD:

@nferyn,

Because it takes some degree of madness to see a creation and insists there is no Creator.

Awww, guys. I think that was just going overboard! undecided
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by freelance(m): 3:54pm On May 10, 2007

I believe it's not just normal for a creation too to believe that there is no God wink

Unless you assume a God, the question of life's purpose is meaningless
------Bertrand Russell, athesist

Colossians 1:16 (New International Version)

16For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him.

I pray you believe before it's too late undecided
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by zuluman(m): 4:03pm On May 10, 2007
@ nferyn
You mentioned earlier that you have read the bible, what prompted you to read the bible?

I'm not making assumptions on anyone. I was just asking questions.  wink
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by TayoD(m): 4:08pm On May 10, 2007
@stimulus,

Awww, guys. I think that was just going overboard!

I didn't mean it to be offensive or trying to insult nferyn.  It's just what I consider the truth.  For instance, won't you consider someone fit for a mental asylum who sees and uses a computer but claims the computer came into existence by a big bang theory?  The fact that the different pieces of the computer are working together in harmony suggests an intelligence behind it.

Now and again, I do things that gets my computer to hang up and I have to cold-boot it.  Does the imperfection suggests that their is no Creator?  I think not.  perhaps, I wouldn't have such problem if I consult with the manufacturer's manual.
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by zuluman(m): 4:16pm On May 10, 2007
@ nferyn

Believe that God would renew everyone and our World. Whatever hardship you or anyone is going through, believe that God would remove that hardship. Amen. I pray for God's glory to be revealed in your life. Amen.

Don't forget to tell me when God's glory is revealed in your life. I've heard many testimonies about people who don't believe in God because of one thing or the other, but God, through his mercy, revealed his glory on them and people began to testify to God's glory.

So nferyn, I'd be expecting your testimony too. grin
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by nferyn(m): 6:24pm On May 10, 2007
TayoD:

@nferyn,

I see. You are wrong on three counts.
1. premisse 1: You see a creation. I see no such thing. What I see is wonderfully complex natural world that can easily be explained through natural processes. We no longer live in Paley's time where there is no naturalistic explanation for biological complexity.
2. conclusion: madness, based on premisse 1, logically sound, but factually untenable
3. you personally see no method by which the appearance of design in the natural world can come into being. that is an argument from personal incredulity, one of the many logical phalacies.
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by nferyn(m): 6:31pm On May 10, 2007
freelance:

I believe it's not just normal for a creation too to believe that there is no God wink
Assuming the consequent. First establish that there is such a thing as a creation.

freelance:

Unless you assume a God, the question of life's purpose is meaningless
------Bertrand Russell, athesist
The universe doesn't owe you meaning ---- Richard Dawkins, atheist.

By the way, that's an argument from adverse consequences. Another logical phalacy.

freelance:

Colossians 1:16 (New International Version)

16For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him.

I pray you believe before it's too late undecided
Could you bring some evidence for that assertion?
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by nferyn(m): 6:38pm On May 10, 2007
zuluman:

@ nferyn

Believe that God would renew everyone and our World. Whatever hardship you or anyone is going through, believe that God would remove that hardship. Amen. I pray for God's glory to be revealed in your life. Amen.
I'm not going through much hardship, but thanks for the concern anyway.

zuluman:

Don't forget to tell me when God's glory is revealed in your life. I've heard many testimonies about people who don't believe in God because of one thing or the other, but God, through his mercy, revealed his glory on them and people began to testify to God's glory.
When I don't believe in God, it is not for one thing or another, the only reason is that there is absolutely no reason to believe in God.

zuluman:

So nferyn, I'd be expecting your testimony too. grin
Don't count on it. There are far more people deconverting and becoming atheists than there are atheists becoming theists. I'm actually a rare exception among atheists in never having been a theist. I know of no genuine conversion cases. Apologists like CS Lewis are usually just lying about he fact that 'they were once atheists'.
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by TayoD(m): 7:09pm On May 10, 2007
@nferyn,

I'm glad you were not offended by my earlier statement as it wasn't meant to be one!

1: You see a creation. I see no such thing. What I see is wonderfully complex natural world that can easily be explained through natural processes. We no longer live in Paley's time where there is no naturalistic explanation for biological complexity.

I never knew who Parley was until you mentioned him and I had to search the internet for some details.  In any case, while you base your faith on philosophy, I really couldn't care less about it.  Common sense tells me that while there is a creation, there is a creator somewhere.  While you consider yourself a product of biology, I consider you a product of creators - your parents.  

The first law of thermodynamics is very much related to the law of conservation of mass which states that: "matter can neither be created nor destroyed."  So how do you explain the big bang theory without a violation of this law? How can something come out of nothing?  How can matter come out of non-matter?

2. conclusion: madness, based on premisse 1, logically sound, but factually untenable

In other words, you agree that it takes some degree of mental instability to see a creation and insist there is no creator.

3. you personally see no method by which the appearance of design in the natural world can come into being. that is an argument from personal incredulity, one of the many logical phalacies.

It is much more than design. It involves existence in itself which is my argument in stating the law of conservation of mass.  With respect to design, can you tell me the probability that a computer will be assembled and made to work the way it does if the components are laid side by side for ages upon ages?
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by KAG: 8:14pm On May 10, 2007
TayoD:

@nferyn,

Anyone reminded of that sweet but naive old lady that insisted that it takes a special kind of madness to insist that the Earth, which feels stationary to our "common sense", is, not only moving, but whirling through space extremely fast. Madness? Maybe we that fancy ourselves children of the modern age of breathtaking science discoveries and unimaginable facts are mad; but oh, what a madness!
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by mrpataki(m): 8:20pm On May 10, 2007
Arguing with an atheist is equivalent to trying to hold a conversation with a piece of rock.
In their own world of madness, they believe they exist because they choose to exist.
Re: A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist by Seun(m): 8:24pm On May 10, 2007
That's not true. I'm an atheist, and I exist because my mother and my father decided to tango in bed. wink

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can Someone Pls Tell Me The Benefit's Of Dry Fasting / Jesus Pray Like Muslims / Religion Finally Explained: A Link Btw Religion And Epilepsy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.