Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,700 members, 7,816,869 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:06 PM

I Confirm That Flying Is An Adventurous Job - Joy Ogbebo - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Confirm That Flying Is An Adventurous Job - Joy Ogbebo (366 Views)

My Adventurous Weekend At The Biggest Inflatable Waterpark In Africa / My Adventurous Weekend Trip To Epe / My Adventurous Trip To The Point Of No Return In Badagry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Confirm That Flying Is An Adventurous Job - Joy Ogbebo by NTravelpack: 10:03am On Jun 08, 2019
Even after she took a meritorious bow from her extensive decades of service in the Nigerian aviation industry most importantly after attaining her career peak as Head of Cabin and Inflight Services, Mrs. Joy Ogbebo remains a source of inspiration to the next generation of inflight cabin crew.

In this interview with the founder of Mamaj Aviation Consult Ltd,Mrs Joy Ogbebo unleashes to Nifty Travel pack her twenty-six years career as aviation professional in Nigeria and further into her career history explaining her thoughts on air travel in Nigeria. She further tells of her eventual career metamorphoses into developing other potential aviation professionals who could build up their career in the industry.

Can we meet the woman called Mamaj

My name is actually Joy Ogbebo. Mamaj is my nickname.

I studied Mass Communication at Delta State University and Social work at the University of Benin. I have also attended many Aviation courses within and outside of Nigeria.

I am a seasoned Aviation professional, an Aviation blogger, Aviation Career development advocate, mentor, Customer Relationship Manager, and project management. I am the founder of Mamaj Aviation Consult Limited. With over twenty-six years of experience in the Aviation industry, I am passionate about grooming the next generation of skilled Aviation professionals and preparing them for Aviation future. After spending almost three decades in the industry, this is my way of giving back to society; impacting on the next generation of Aviators,” Sending the elevator down”.

My Aviation Career started in 1992 with Okada Airlines as Cabin Crew. I then rose through the ranks until finally reaching the peak as Head of Cabin and Inflight Services. Other Airlines I have worked with are Associated Airlines, Virgin Nigeria and Discovery Airways.

I have a mentorship Academy and I am the convener of the Annual Aviation Career Conference and the Cabin Crew Fair whose aim and objectives are to introduce and mentor the next generation of aspiring aviation professionals on the much aviation career opportunities that exist. The events will also guide them on their career choice and help them identify the key skills, and create a platform for professionals and intending Aviators to connect and share knowledge.

I am the publisher of Mamaj Aviation blog, an online Aviation and Travel news platform. My mission is to create a one-stop shop for Aviation news and latest trends in this exciting industry, with the desire to change the narrative in the Aviation industry.

Why aviation? Why not script writing, presenting, journalism

The Aviation niche was naturally an attraction for me because over time I realized that, not much was heard about the Aviation industry from the media unless something negative happens. For example, a plane crash. Whenever it happened, there would be so much hype about it in the media. Based on my experience I knew there was so many positivities about the industry that was not being highlighted and I wanted to change that narrative around this industry. I wanted people to know that a lot is happening in this all-important and sensitive industry. A lot of Career Opportunities. We now have females flying as pilots and even taking commands. We have Pilots getting married to pilots and coping well. I just wanted to tell the story from within and project these positives.

Tell us about your career in the aviation industry of Nigeria with specifics.

I started my Aviation Career way back in 1992 as a Cabin Crew with Okada Airlines. I came through the ranks, as Cabin Crew, Purser, Crew Development Purser, Cabin Services Supervisor, Crew Line Manager, Line Trainer, Performance manager. I have also been into Customer Relationship Management, Assistant Cabin Services Manager, until finally rising to the peak, as the Head of Cabin and Inflight Services. Apart from Okada Airlines, I also worked in Associated Airlines, Virgin Nigeria Airways, and my last Airline was at Discovery Airways Limited.

What triggers your interest in aviation every time you wake up to a new day?

It’s my Passion. This is what drives me. Lol, interestingly, uptodate that is the industry I have spent all my working life. Twenty-six good years! Sometimes I pinch myself when asked how long I have been in the industry.

Mrs Joy Ogbebo speaking during one of her annual conference
Mrs Joy Ogbebo speaking during one of her annual conferences

What does travel mean to you. How else can travel be well defined?

For me travel is fun and exciting. Travel gives you the opportunity to explore the world, meet new people, learn new things, be adventurous and off course relax. Traveling helps you connect with different people from different cultures, it provides you with the education you couldn’t have had from traditional school and overall, broaden your horizon. As they say, you haven’t really lived until you have traveled. Life’s not meant to be lived in one place. So travel is something I would recommend.

What is the inspiration behind the first ever, Cabin crew fair in Nigeria? What has been the testimony afterwards?

I always knew that at some point I will need to give back to society. In fact, blogging was an eye-opener. Over time, I realized that many young ones out there were contacting me. They all needed mentoring. I used to receive lots of overwhelming calls, Facebook Messenger chats, instagram, Facebook, Linkedin and whatsapp. They are either requesting for help for the job of a Cabin Crew or requesting for information as regards the Cabin Crew job in particular and Aviation Career. So I identified an information gap that needed to be closed. I also observed that there were no mentoring institutions where these young ones could be mentored. I knew it was not possible for me to respond to every request or chat with almost 10-20 people every day. Then it struck me that what I needed was a platform where I could reach out to a large number of people at the same time. That was why I started the Cabin Crew Fair. This conference is a Career initiative and an annual event which attracts many participants comprising aspiring next generation of Aviation professionals, Aviation Professionals, Government Agencies, and stakeholders, Schools, youth development agencies, Airlines, and Aviation training Organizations. The aim and objectives of the Fair is to promote relationship between Nigeria Cabin Crew and Crew from other part of the world, introduce and mentor aspiring next generation of Cabin Crew Professionals and participants on the Cabin crew career. It also will expose them to the opportunities that exist in the aviation industry, highlight the valuable and strategic role of Cabin Crew, introduce intending Cabin Crew to their career choice and help them identify the key skills. The fair has become a platform for professional and intending Cabin Crew to connect and share knowledge and celebrate and honor outstanding aviation professionals and stakeholders who have contributed immensely to the Cabin Crew Profession.

This year, we will host the 3rd edition. Interestingly, each year gets better. But I must confess that the first year was so challenging. Since it is a non-profit career initiative, the only ways I could fund it was to reach out to sponsors. Organizations are not quick to supporting initiatives that are career oriented or have not been tested. So it was so a bit frustrating. If I was not a resilient person, I would have backed out. I am happy I didn’t. If you ask me my biggest achievement so far, I would tell you it was hosting the first Cabin Crew Fair in Nigeria was the highest point in my Aviation career. Though it was the first, it was such a huge success. The fair recorded about 350 participants. Honestly, i was very proud of myself as well as the tremendous impact it is having on the young ones in our society.

I want to also mention here that my company also hosts the annual Aviation careers conference. Hopefully, we will be having the 3rd edition this year in October.

ALSO READ: “I will say here that the Benin massacre did us more good” – Sculptor Eric Ogbemudia

What has been your greatest challenge with the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority?

I haven’t really had any challenge with the Regulatory Authority. In fact, I have enjoyed a lot of support from the body especially during the second edition of the Cabin Crew Fair and the Aviation Career conference. They have been supportive.

What will you say is the future of air travel in Nigeria?

The industry is going through a challenging phase with the exchange rate which is affecting ticket fares. The high cost of traveling is also affecting the rate at which people travel. The economic situation in the country is not smiling. Nigerians are known to be regular travelers. But in all, the future looks promising.

How best do you think safety can be assured in Nigeria aviation industry?

Raising the safety bar requires a holistic approach by all stakeholders, which must be a conscious, intentional and deliberate one. We all have a role to play. The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority, the training organizations, and airline management. I can overemphasize the crucial role of the respective organs and agencies to checkmate. This been said, there is a need for consistent checks and monitoring of Airlines operational activities as well.

The training organizations must consistently ensure the highest standard of training at the foundational stage. If the training is flawed from the beginning that will be a recipe for a low standard of professionalism. The level of training they receive will determine how competent they will be and how well they perform on the job. So our training must be top-notch. Oversight responsibilities of NCAA as a regulatory agency should be sustained. The Authority as it is doing now must continuously maintain consistent policing to ensure strict adherence to safety regulations. Safety standards can be maintained through consistent checks and monitoring of Airlines operational activities. Airline Management must create enabling operating environment that is motivating, this will help the Airline staff perform more effectively on the role. One of the ways we can keep raising the safety bar is to create a feedback system and consistently review our processes for improvement. We must aim to be above standards at all times.

Tell us about your bitter, sweet experience as an in-flight service provider.

It’s been a remarkable 26 years journey for me in the Aviation industry in Nigeria, starting as a Cabin Crew. Flying is quite exciting. It is fun. It gives you the opportunity to see the world absolutely for free and still get paid! You go to amazing places you never imagined. You meet with world-class leaders, superstars, and very important personalities. You stay and dine in 5-star hotels. Imagine having breakfast in Lagos and dinner in London. What can be more exciting? Flying is a glamorous profession. However, behind that glamour, there is also the bad and ugly side of flying. I have seen it all. I have enjoyed the good side; you know the perks that come with the job. I have also experienced the risks, exposure to assault, unfriendly skies, continuously flying in pressured cabins, and the ugly? Well, I have experienced two plane crashes.

The job of a Cabin Crew is very unique. It’s hard work! It transcends a tea and coffee service. Cabin Crews are strategic in the aircraft Cabin. They are safety officers. The training we receive makes us a well-grounded and well-rounded. This is one job at which you juggle different roles with a short time frame and in a confined environment. Once you step on board as a Crew, you automatically become a Safety Officer, a first aider, a Security Personnel, a Hospitality Personnel, and a Psychologist. So many roles rolled into one. I usually call it a one role fits all. I once became a tailor on board for a passenger. Every split seconds counts for the Cabin Crew. It is a very mentally tasking and sometimes physically draining job, I must confess. The ability to multi-task is the key. Above all, you must have a passion for what you do. That is what will see you through.

I confirm that Flying is an adventurous job, with dependable income (but commensurate?). The work schedule is quite flexible compared to the 9-5 jobs which can be monotonous. Sadly, all people see is the glamorized aspects. Unknown to people, the job of a flight attendant is hard work! Back-breaking hard work! You can only enjoy the job and become successful if and only when you work hard. It could be quite challenging, you know, juggling different roles most of the time and trying to strike a balance. If you are an aspiring flight attendant and you are lazy, then please I will advise you to consider another profession.

My experience has been interesting. I found joy and happiness in doing what I am passionate about. Every moment has been fun!

See more - https:///2W60Cp3

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Confirm That Flying Is An Adventurous Job - Joy Ogbebo by Niftyrules(m): 10:30am On Jun 08, 2019
It indeed is. The beauty of the navy blue sky and the awesome parade of scenery in the atmosphere gives me great joy to fly always.

(1) (Reply)

Tolu Ilori Travels / Can I Go For An Undergraduate Course In UK...... / Border Closure: Only For Goods Or Also For Passengers?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.