Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,506 members, 7,826,909 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:47 PM

A Critical Look At God's Word "Jacob Have I Love, Esau Have I Hated" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Critical Look At God's Word "Jacob Have I Love, Esau Have I Hated" (631 Views)

Fani-Kayode: What TB Joshua Told Me + Why Some Nigerian Pastors Hated Him / Who And Where Is ESAU/EDOM Today? / A Critical Look At The Jehovah's Witness Bible: The New World Translation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Critical Look At God's Word "Jacob Have I Love, Esau Have I Hated" by tyup(m): 11:31am On Jun 09, 2019
Atimes we get to wonder or Ponder on this scripture in Romans 9:13 which says "As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated." and get to ask disturbing questions like Why did God love Jacob and hate Esau? If God is love (1 John 4:8 ), how could He hate anyone?

When studying the Bible, it is critically important to always study the context of a particular Bible verse or passage. In these instances, the prophet Malachi and the apostle Paul are using the name “Esau” to refer to the Edomites, who were the descendants of Esau. Isaac and Rebekah had two sons, Esau and Jacob. God chose Jacob (whom He later renamed “Israel”) to be the father of His chosen people, the Israelites. God rejected Esau (who was also called “Edom”) and did not choose him to be the father of His chosen people. Esau and his descendants, the Edomites, were in
many ways blessed by God ( Genesis 33:9 ; Genesis chapter 36).

So, considering the context, God loving Jacob and hating Esau has nothing to do with the human emotions of love and hate. It has everything to do with God choosing one man and his descendants and
rejecting another man and his descendants. God chose Abraham out of all the men in the world. The Bible very well could say, “Abraham I loved, and every other man I hated.” God chose Abraham’s son Isaac
instead of Abraham’s son Ishmael. The Bible very well could say, “Isaac I loved, and Ishmael I hated.”
Romans chapter 9 makes it abundantly clear that loving Jacob and hating Esau was entirely related
to which of them God chose.

I hope we can all learn from what the verse is all about and God not naturally hating people

mynd44 lalasticlala Dominique

1 Like

Re: A Critical Look At God's Word "Jacob Have I Love, Esau Have I Hated" by DabuIIIT: 7:27pm On Apr 12, 2020
tyup:
Atimes we get to wonder or Ponder on this scripture in Romans 9:13 which says "As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated." and get to ask disturbing questions like Why did God love Jacob and hate Esau? If God is love (1 John 4:8 ), how could He hate anyone?

When studying the Bible, it is critically important to always study the context of a particular Bible verse or passage. In these instances, the prophet Malachi and the apostle Paul are using the name “Esau” to refer to the Edomites, who were the descendants of Esau. Isaac and Rebekah had two sons, Esau and Jacob. God chose Jacob (whom He later renamed “Israel”) to be the father of His chosen people, the Israelites. God rejected Esau (who was also called “Edom”) and did not choose him to be the father of His chosen people. Esau and his descendants, the Edomites, were in
many ways blessed by God ( Genesis 33:9 ; Genesis chapter 36).

So, considering the context, God loving Jacob and hating Esau has nothing to do with the human emotions of love and hate. It has everything to do with God choosing one man and his descendants and
rejecting another man and his descendants. God chose Abraham out of all the men in the world. The Bible very well could say, “Abraham I loved, and every other man I hated.” God chose Abraham’s son Isaac
instead of Abraham’s son Ishmael. The Bible very well could say, “Isaac I loved, and Ishmael I hated.”
Romans chapter 9 makes it abundantly clear that loving Jacob and hating Esau was entirely related
to which of them God chose.

I hope we can all learn from what the verse is all about and God not naturally hating people

The only time in your existence that you have made sense.

But based on virtually all your posts on this forum,God hates people like you, sorry
Re: A Critical Look At God's Word "Jacob Have I Love, Esau Have I Hated" by petra1(m): 7:43pm On Apr 12, 2020
tyup:

So, considering the context, God loving Jacob and hating Esau has nothing to do with the human emotions of love and hate. It has everything to do with God choosing one man and his descendants and rejecting another man and his descendants.

I partially agree with you but not fully. I agree that to love one person has to do with God choosing but where I don’t agree with you is where I highlighted above ,you used the term reject ”the other”. I don’t see it so Ftom scripture . A more appropriate term should rather be to “ prefer above” the other , to choose above the other but not necessarily rejection of the other.

Luke 14:26
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

So from the above scripture same terminology was used but from context it is not about rejecting the order but to chose God above them in other of priority
Re: A Critical Look At God's Word "Jacob Have I Love, Esau Have I Hated" by tyup(m): 8:37pm On Apr 12, 2020
DabuIIIT:

The only time in your existence that you have made sense.

But based on virtually all your posts on this forum,God hates people like you, sorry

Apology accepted
Re: A Critical Look At God's Word "Jacob Have I Love, Esau Have I Hated" by tyup(m): 8:38pm On Apr 12, 2020
petra1:

I partially agree with you but not fully. I agree that to love one person has to do with God choosing but where I don’t agree with you is where I highlighted above ,you used the term reject ”the other”. I don’t see it so Ftom scripture . A more appropriate term should rather be to “ prefer above” the other , to choose above the other but not necessarily rejection of the other.

Luke 14:26
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

So from the above scripture same terminology was used but from context it is not about rejecting the other but to chose God above them in other of priority

Noted.....Thanks for the correction
Re: A Critical Look At God's Word "Jacob Have I Love, Esau Have I Hated" by nlPoster: 8:52pm On Apr 12, 2020
DabuIIIT:

Pull up your pant,I'm not Igbo. And like the reasonable guy I quoted said,Igbo leaders never put up such agenda. If you have any substance up there,you will know that.
Why will the igbos wanna leave Lagos,does that make sense to you? The igbos will rather continue to screw and 4k Lagos harder and harder and drill her very well. Lagos is a very sweet lady.
What you bunch are doing on here is self consolation and you are actually moaning and whining and silently weeping cos deep down you bunch actually want the igbos to move out of Lagos but guess what,it's a no man's land,under your beloved one naijiriya
lolsssssss!!!!grin grin grin

What do you all in ogbomosho know, you know nathin'!! grin

To o ba de Eko,oomo eyo!!!!

BAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAA!!!!!!

Now be a good citizen and go and pay up your rents to your Igbo landlord...
grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

I Bought Her Another Subscription, But I'm Thinking Of Breaking Up With Her / Opinion Piece On Feminism By Toks2008 / God Make Me Tolu Ilori Succcessful

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.