Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,224 members, 7,825,857 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:56 AM

President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech (6619 Views)

President Buhari’s 55th Independence Speech - Full Text / Independence Speech: Why I Sent Ministerial List Late – PMB / Reno Omokri, Others To Be Fired Over Lie In Jonathan's Independence Speech? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by violent(m): 10:27am On Oct 04, 2010
^^

Are you by any chance implying that Obama might have not been eloquent without tele-prompters? If you just answered yes, then you are clearly out of your mind!
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by mbulela: 10:35am On Oct 04, 2010
na cramming the man use get him degrees.
so he is used to impressing in that manner.
notes or no nores, Teleprompter or no Teleprompter, the man will still fumble his speeches.
He is not inspiring one bit.
more importantly, he is no different from the past leaders.
No vision, no plan and no moral will to effect change.
ne from morning market we dey take know how the day go be.
this market no good at all at all.
don't be deceived.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by sayso: 10:38am On Oct 04, 2010
NO NO NO NO NO NO ,Why are our so called leaders piping for words,that is stealing.They should then allow students to copy from text books,anyway BC did no such thing.So without stealing they will all fail.Obama during his swearing in ceremony failed because there was nothing to steal from.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by Genuflect(m): 11:13am On Oct 04, 2010
This guy dey fumble words too much. Ahn ahn kilode? A leader has to be a powerful orator among other things
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by soki2ng(m): 11:30am On Oct 04, 2010
Public speaking is never easy, no matter how often you do it. Lets give him time, hope he improves
Since he's being compared to Obama so much in terms of fumbling with words, Youtube "Obama blunders" you go laugh till your belle pain you
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by Reference(m): 11:39am On Oct 04, 2010
I would rather look in favour of the content rather than the delivery afterall is it Obama's eloquesarynce that is in question now or the ability of his people to cash in. George Bush was not much of an orator but his effect (good or bad) cannot be discounted. If a leader has a burning passion for a certain value or idea. That idea takes the form of the orator. It is like fashion or art, we attribute expressions to people and its sticks like glue. If the president had mounted that podium and poured out his heart in a manner that connected with his people I personally will not remember how he put the words across (the ex-heads will not all have fallen asleep) but it is because the folks have little to offer other flaws become glaring. How do you eloquently express you desire to change the ills in society or the corruption in high places or the failure of governance. I watched the CNN interview with Aisha. Look, when someone is passionate about something he has an answer even in his waking moment. And his response will tie all tongues. You do not struggle with what you know. These folks are too far out of touch. It is a pity.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by akwaowoudo(m): 11:48am On Oct 04, 2010
Beaf:

When bombs go off, everything changes.
You aren't far from the truth.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by JimmyBoy1: 12:09pm On Oct 04, 2010
Anyhow, we trust him, we love him and will vote him as our president in 2011 because I am tired of living in a country where leadership is being passed from one friend's hand to another like a relay baton.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by Gbawe: 12:26pm On Oct 04, 2010
Jimmy Boy:

Anyhow, we trust him, we love him and will vote him as our president in 2011 because I am tired of living in a country where leadership is being passed from one friend's hand to another like a relay baton.

And this is the consideration for the grand deception that has been packaged together via a Jonathan candidacy. "He went to school in a  Canoe" , "he had no shoes" are all nonsense to endear Jonathan to average Nigerians when , in reality and through his profligate actions, Jonathan is firmly on the side of the elite few who have always kept Nigeria down. This is why they are all behind him in the clearest sign that Jonathan will lead , by proxy, for the OBJ's and Anenih's of Nigeria. Jonathan , even if you do not want to see it that way, is also another "friend" of "the business as usual" establishment who has gotten the "baton" (via endorsement of deleterious kingmakers) to carry on where Yar Adua stopped in the all important desire of ensuring that the usual 'awon boys' remain in relevance and in control of the disbursement of the national cake .

All what you state above were stated in defence of Yar Adua also . We saw how he turned out with how the 'baggage' that helped him win the Presidency ensured he was "dead on arrival" , after being sworn in, as far as performing for Nigerians was involved.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by SSaemoenl(m): 12:54pm On Oct 04, 2010
Must we see everything he did as fault, Obama uses TelePrompter and others. I didn't watch the show, But I think he really tried. Learn to appreciate ur thing NIGERIANS!!!
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by JimmyBoy1: 1:13pm On Oct 04, 2010
Gbawe, I agree with you to a large extent, but you seem to have seriosly underrated the authority vested in a Commander-in-Chief of a country. A state governor can be hoodwinked by God-father, but that does not apply to the president. Though there will surely be compromise and concessions here and there, but the president is never going to be in anybody's pocket, it was illness that pocketed late President Yaradua and not God-fathers.

I agree that the president is not so sophisticated and does not appear to be so knowledgible or exposed, but the needs of this country are so basic that you only need to be sincere in order to get things done. You dont need to be a Havard Graduate before you can get roads tarred, How do you think that some of our illeterate mothers were able to train University Graduates sometimes from proceeds of sales of Akara and Eko etc ? Love, dedication , determination,

In conclusion, I think we have a chance with GEJ, because providence placed him in the palce of power and not God-Father, therefore he is in better position to deliver.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by Gbawe: 1:26pm On Oct 04, 2010
Jimmy Boy:

Gbawe, I agree with you to a large extent, but you seem to have seriosly underrated the authority vested in a Commander-in-Chief of a country. A state governor can be hoodwinked by God-father, but that does not apply to the president. Though there will surely be compromise and concessions here and there, but the president is never going to be in anybody's pocket, it was illness that pocketed late President Yaradua and not God-fathers.
I agree that the president is not so sophisticated and does not appear to be so knowledgible or exposed, but the needs of this country are so basic that you only need to be sincere in order to get things done. You dont need to be a Havard Graduate before you can get roads tarred, How do you think that some of our illeterate mothers were able to train University Graduates sometimes from proceeds of sales of Akara and Eko etc ? Love, dedication , determination,

In conclusion, I think we have a chance with GEJ, because providence placed him in the palce of power and not God-Father, therefore he is in better position to deliver.

Not true at all. James Ibori was one of the main sponsors of Yar Adua's campaign. When Yar Adua became President , Ibori got the "keys to the manor" . Ibori influenced the appointment of Aondoakaa and , later, Waziri. That was the end of the war on corruption. This was why Aondoakaa , with Yar Adua's consent, immediately set to work trying to muzzle the EFCC (then still under Ribadu) plus sabotage the case against Ibori at home and abroad. Ibori, in a Nigerian Court , was cleared of over a 100 charges of graft and corruption shocked shocked In the UK meanwhile, Ibori's associates (all far less guilty than the former Governor) have been convicted and jailed !!! To make matters worse ,  Ibori managed to 'convince' Yar Adua to make his  co-defendant and fugitive from UK justice (david Edevbie) the Private secretary of Yar Adua while there was a UK Court warrant for Edevbies arrest  shocked shocked!!! The same Edevbie , now gone underground, was involved in the forgery of Yardy's signature for the budget , which remains uninvestigated till date , while our former President was comatose !! Shall I go on or do you get my drift that Jonathan , with far more baggage than Yar Adua, will be "deader on arrival"  than Yar Adua was?
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by rasputinn(m): 1:26pm On Oct 04, 2010
Jonathan has never been an orator,so why complain?
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by anonimi: 1:54pm On Oct 04, 2010
Chase the Hooligans-in-Power (HiPs) out and vote in better candidates.

Remember to RSVP -

Register;
Select and sponsor(your candidates);
Vote;
Protect your votes;

Let this be our motto for this election period.
Copy and text the motto to as many as possible on your GSM and several times during the voter registration period.
One Man, One Vote!!!
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by Ericology(m): 2:58pm On Oct 04, 2010
ode remo:

that shows your age.
listen to the late saudana speech,try zik as well.

ODE REMO, Hard core supporters of GEJ wld still support him if even if he mixed up everything, what do you expect when u have a president who is being cheered on not on the grounds of his past achievements but "u dont know what"
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by Nobody: 3:28pm On Oct 04, 2010
He was using a teleprompter and it was not well set. Also he needs to learn the art as you will need to put some emotion (acting) to it

I'm sure you must have seen him grant interviews before so he can do well talking off the top of his head
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by Meldrick(m): 4:04pm On Oct 04, 2010
Gbawe:

Not true at all. James Ibori was one of the main sponsors of Yar Adua's campaign. When Yar Adua became President , Ibori got the "keys to the manor" . Ibori influenced the appointment of Aondoakaa and , later, Waziri. That was the end of the war on corruption. This was why Aondoakaa , with Yar Adua's consent, immediately set to work trying to muzzle the EFCC (then still under Ribadu) plus sabotage the case against Ibori at home and abroad. Ibori, in a Nigerian Court , was cleared of over a 100 charges of graft and corruption shocked shocked In the UK meanwhile, Ibori's associates (all far less guilty than the former Governor) have been convicted and jailed !!! To make matters worse ,  Ibori managed to 'convince' Yar Adua to make his  co-defendant and fugitive from UK justice (david Edevbie) the Private secretary of Yar Adua while there was a UK Court warrant for Edevbies arrest  shocked shocked!!! The same Edevbie , now gone underground, was involved in the forgery of Yardy's signature for the budget , which remains uninvestigated till date , while our former President was comatose !! Shall I go on or do you get my drift that Jonathan , with far more baggage than Yar Adua, will be "deader on arrival"  than Yar Adua was?

I wonder why people like you must speak based on assumptions? Ibori did this and that, were you there?
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by labiyemmy(m): 4:08pm On Oct 04, 2010
When Chinese President speaks English - it is hard to understand what he says - but no Chinese person makes a laughing stock of him, but in Nigeria - they make a laughing stock of their President, and check who are the people making jest of him - the so called youths - who has nothing to offer Nigeria but to spell fire and brimstone on the nation.

Poster- why not write to the President and tell him you hate the way he conducts his affairs?
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by naso2(m): 4:12pm On Oct 04, 2010
Jimmy Boy:

Very smart post.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 4:56pm On Oct 04, 2010
Please posters, GEJ is as eloquent as the next militant. his eloquence was abruptly truncated by the bomb explosions which caused his tele-prompter machine to spark and cease. That was why he started sounding like a horse on cheap paraga grin
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by Nobody: 5:19pm On Oct 04, 2010
Quality of education is really collapsing indeed cry
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by Genuflect(m): 5:26pm On Oct 04, 2010
Jimmy Boy:

na_so:

Very smart post.
Seconded
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by VUVUZELA10: 5:32pm On Oct 04, 2010
It is sad and unfortunate people are looking at GEAJ as a messiah. He is ill prepared for job at hand. South South will be thoroughly disappointed.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by Gbawe: 5:37pm On Oct 04, 2010
Meldrick:

I wonder why people like you must speak based on assumptions? Ibori did this and that, were you there?

The standard response from some Nigerians now used to a system where criminals taunt the justice system openly. I bet the Judge who set Ibori free of over a 100 charges said the same as you . Abeg please leave me to my conjecture while you deal with the 'facts' that have gotten Nigeria nowhere.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by nobleobed(m): 5:53pm On Oct 04, 2010
goodluck for him.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by beespak7(m): 6:32pm On Oct 04, 2010
At least it was way better than the " PELLOW NIGERIANS" that we have been hearing all along the years grin grin
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by princekevo(m): 6:37pm On Oct 04, 2010
@labiyemmy:

When Chinese President speaks English - it is hard to understand what he says - but no Chinese person makes a laughing stock of him, but in Nigeria - they make a laughing stock of their President, and check who are the people making jest of him - the so called youths - who has nothing to offer Nigeria but to spell fire and brimstone on the nation.

Poster- why not write to the President and tell him you hate the way he conducts his affairs?
What a logical example? The last time i checked English language was never an official language of china.
Maybe we should advice our president to better use Ijaw next time instead of struggling with a foreign language.

I think that would be better?
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by juman(m): 7:05pm On Oct 04, 2010
Please let give our President time he will improve. He will learn with time. Dont forget that he his from a village.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by homerac7: 9:21pm On Oct 04, 2010
@ labbyemmi,

Ho Jin Tao, d Chinese president speaks fine English, though with some Chinese accent. He's not in class of GEJ/ JEGA/ Jaga jaga/whatsoever. English is official in Nigeria while Chinese is in China.

I enjoy OBJ talk despite his retching and Egba accent, u can't find him wanting for coherence.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by labiyemmy(m): 9:26pm On Oct 04, 2010
^^^^l

Lets hear you speak.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by Uclloyd28(m): 9:53pm On Oct 04, 2010
@Poster, ur a Jonathan Hater, How much were u paid for this shit Do u think its easy to make such speech without ur notes U no fit even woo a girl without fainting. Whether u and ur haters group like it or not, Jonathan Is The Change We Need, Just like Obama, Jonathan shall Rule Nigeria, since others in the past Fumble
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by truly: 11:13pm On Oct 04, 2010
Uclloyd28:

@Poster, your a Jonathan Hater, How much were u paid for this poo Do u think its easy to make such speech without your notes U no fit even woo a girl without fainting. Whether u and your haters group like it or not, Jonathan Is The Change We Need, Just like Obama, Jonathan shall Rule Nigeria, since others in the past Fumble
Nobody is ever accused of being an IBB, Atiku, Gusau etc hater
It is acceptable to abuse these guys. Indeed it is encouraged as a demonstration of patriotism
But anybody who criticises GJ is a "sinner" and must have been paid
The double standard is amazing

So if in a democracy you ignore the haters, how do you GJ's lovers hope to make him president - by a coup or by ATM-like rigging
Oh, he is the change we require because he is flying 1st class on BA like Cameron and has stopped the orders for the elephantine presidential jets?
FYI GJ is already ruling Nigeria. He has been doing so since February

beespak7:

At least it was way better than the " PELLOW NIGERIANS" that we have been hearing all along the years grin grin
No, GJ has a PhD
He is supposed to speak better

@labiyemmy:

We have always criticised other presidents - go and read history
GJ either wants to be a Nigerian president and be ready to be criticised or he should go and become a president of China or better still Norh Korea
Did you think Fawehinmi, Soyinka & co made their names by clapping for past presidents
We are not going to rewrite the rules because of GJ

Meldrick:

IBB killed Dele Giwa, Obj know about Bola Ige's death, GJ has done nothing about Dipo Dina's death
Were you too there?

Jimmy Boy:

Adedibu pocketed Obj. Why?
GJ has not shown sincerity with the harliburton case. People are charged to court - they are not informed; not arrested and not produced in court
The judge has already removed himself from the case - perhaps he does not want his name rubbished

Providence, God brought him there
This is the excuse that is easiest to debunk
God does not go on vacation, so God must have allowed every other leaders to get there
Providence brought Obj there after Murtala - he ended up corruptly enriching himself
Providence brought Abdusalami there
Providence brought Obj there again from prison
what did we see - corrupt enrichment eg Transcorp's shares, spending N250m on the incorporation of Galaxy Backbone by his friend - Afe Babalola
Please, we have seen providence before

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga / Congratulatory Message On Supreme Court Victory To Mr. Udom Emmanuel / Breaking News:nnamdi KANU Arrested By Interpol,near Cameroun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.