Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,908 members, 7,838,237 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 05:48 PM

President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech (6624 Views)

President Buhari’s 55th Independence Speech - Full Text / Independence Speech: Why I Sent Ministerial List Late – PMB / Reno Omokri, Others To Be Fired Over Lie In Jonathan's Independence Speech? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by Akanbiedu(m): 9:48am On Oct 05, 2010
Gbawe:

This is actually a good thing. Time we started moving away from being impressed with mediocrity. We should set our standards high since , due to globalisation, we now see the calibre of leadership that is the norm everywhere else while we continue to settle for mediocrity. We should do away with past sycophancy that leads us to adopt patently poor leaders who have actually emerged to serve the interest of an elite group rather than that of Nigeria .

Remember how Yar Adua emerged only for Nigerians to then start inventing reasons to like him when , to avert disastrous leadership , we should have scrutinised his health challenges , past mediocrity and policy silence thoroughly. I remember a friend saying ,  as is stated for Jonathan now, that Yar Adua is an "action man" who gets things done without saying much. I told this friend that , in typical Naija style, he is only trying to justify making Yar Adua into what he is not since some men do not say much merely because they are clueless and not because they are "silent achievers". Yar Adua wen't on to prove me right.

Yar'adua wasn't as bad as you make it seem.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by SABalogun: 10:56am On Oct 05, 2010
It is one of those things
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by ud4u: 3:27pm On Oct 05, 2010
No comments
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by bawomolo(m): 5:10pm On Oct 05, 2010
When Chinese President speaks English - it is hard to understand what he says

english is not the official language of china. the chinese president would be mocked if he fumbled mandarin or cantonese
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by Gbawe: 5:31pm On Oct 05, 2010
Akanbi_edu:

Yar'adua wasn't as bad as you make it seem.

It is a matter of opinion. To me he was. Remember the first request of Aondoakaa that Yar Adua acceded to before public outcry forced a U-turn? I.e that the EFCC must fall in under the AGF? I think there is nothing worse , as far as Nigeria is concerned, than a leader who will openly aid and abet corruption - the nemesis of our nation. Under Yar Adua , Odili secured an ex-parte order prohibiting the EFCC from detaining or questioning him !!!!! Igbinedion recieved a measly fine for corruption worth the value of the watch he wore to Court on the day and Ibori was cleared of over a 100 charges of corruption !!! Yar Adua did not fight corruption at all. To say he was comfortable with corruption is to be kind,
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by seanet02: 5:48pm On Oct 05, 2010
what about IBB step aside speech
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by eewule(m): 2:44pm On Oct 06, 2010
At least it happened at home in Nigeria, Not at a UN security summit or somewhere abroad so let us for give him.. We nigerians often try to prove our abilities, even when we haven't practiced or prepared.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by manmade(m): 3:43pm On Oct 08, 2010
i
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by manmade(m): 3:57pm On Oct 08, 2010
@ MUMU poster I think u are what u called yourself :"NO CONCEPT",pls try to check the meaning of the word STUMBLES frm dico and then apologise to all NL for making fool of urself.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by Akanbiedu(m): 4:39pm On Oct 08, 2010
Gbawe:

It is a matter of opinion. To me he was. Remember the first request of Aondoakaa that Yar Adua acceded to before public outcry forced a U-turn? I.e that the EFCC must fall in under the AGF? I think there is nothing worse , as far as Nigeria is concerned, than a leader who will openly aid and abet corruption - the nemesis of our nation. Under Yar Adua , Odili secured an ex-parte order prohibiting the EFCC from detaining or questioning him !!!!! Igbinedion recieved a measly fine for corruption worth the value of the watch he wore to Court on the day and Ibori was cleared of over a 100 charges of corruption !!! Yar Adua did not fight corruption at all. To say he was comfortable with corruption is to be kind,

Is there any other reason?

Those examples you gave happened in law courts, how is this Yar'adua's problem?

Yar'adua as far as I know fought corruption in a better way. By blocking it from the source. It is on record that for 2007 and 2008, around N800billion was returned as unspent funds from annual budgets. What do you think happened to this kind of money before Yar'adua? I personally don't believe EFCC should be responsible for preventing corruption at the state level.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Lies Against Enugu Governor Should Be Disregarded - Arc. Obinna Eneh / If Herdsman Had Known That Deltans Were Tough People They Wouldn't Have Attack / Revealed. Oshiomole Is Not From Edo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.