Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,451 members, 7,816,048 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:56 AM

Advice Needed On Motor Vehicle To Purchase - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Advice Needed On Motor Vehicle To Purchase (1412 Views)

Tokyolt: World's First 'Dual-Mode Vehicle' To Begin Operation In Japan / AirCar That Transforms From Road Vehicle To Plane Will Go On Sale Next Year (Pix / The New Lagos Motor Vehicle Administration Agency Proposed Rates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed On Motor Vehicle To Purchase by Unbeliever(m): 6:11pm On Jun 09, 2019
Hello nairalanders,
I wish to seek your opinions and advice on the brand of Car to purchase with a maximum budget of 2 million naira. I have considered several options such as the Toyota corrola, Honda civic, Honda accord (worried about ball joint issues), Toyota camry, Toyota avalon, hyundai elantra or possibly sonata. I also considered the lexus rx 330 but from little research it seems way above my budget. Apart from the budget ceiling, factors such as good fuel economy, reliability, durability and low cost of maintenance are also my main considerations. It's going to be my first car purchase and I'm relatively inexperienced with cars. Please throw in your suggestions and advice, even on cars that I have not mentioned. I anticipate your candid and intelligible opinions. Thank you
Re: Advice Needed On Motor Vehicle To Purchase by osato45: 6:19pm On Jun 09, 2019
If you want to get a Nigerian registered car your budget may cover that, but you have to open your eyes to get a good deal.

Better still go for a direct tokunbo 2003 - 2006 toyota corrolla. They are fuel economical and parts relatively cheap to source and repair.
Re: Advice Needed On Motor Vehicle To Purchase by Unbeliever(m): 6:22pm On Jun 09, 2019
osato45:
If you want to get a Nigerian registered car your budget may cover that, but you have to open your eyes to get a good deal.

Better still go for a direct tokunbo 2003 - 2006 toyota corrolla. They are fuel economical and parts relatively cheap to source and repair.
Thanks for your advice. I'd prefer a direct tokunbo rather than a Nigerian used vehicle.
Re: Advice Needed On Motor Vehicle To Purchase by mikeayus(m): 6:33pm On Jun 09, 2019
How can one get a grade A tokunbo which is not an accidented vehicle ??
Re: Advice Needed On Motor Vehicle To Purchase by autofixng: 7:14pm On Jun 09, 2019
All of the cars u mention are OK as long as u have a good maintenance culture. Corolla is a good buy but the only factor is the environmental factor which is prone to buggle of the parts when packed in an open place. If u're scared of accord because of the ball joint then u settle for a civic which has better fuel economy than corolla and as well as same suspension system like corolla. But for the ball joint of accord that pull its due to our poor handling and bad part.
Re: Advice Needed On Motor Vehicle To Purchase by Unbeliever(m): 7:52pm On Jun 09, 2019
Re: Advice Needed On Motor Vehicle To Purchase by Unbeliever(m): 7:53pm On Jun 09, 2019
autofixng:
All of the cars u mention are OK as long as u have a good maintenance culture. Corolla is a good buy but the only factor is the environmental factor which is prone to buggle of the parts when packed in an open place. If u're scared of accord because of the ball joint then u settle for a civic which has better fuel economy than corolla and as well as same suspension system like corolla. But for the ball joint of accord that pull its due to our poor handling and bad part.
Thank you very much. You have been of great help.
Re: Advice Needed On Motor Vehicle To Purchase by CarGuideNG: 8:45pm On Jun 09, 2019
Unbeliever:

Thanks for your advice. I'd prefer a direct tokunbo rather than a Nigerian used vehicle.

Of the vehicle options you listed, your Tokunbo budget would be adequate for the 2003 - 2008 Corolla, Accord, Civic, Elantra, Sonata, 2002 - 2006 Camry, and to an extent the Avalon. The Lexus RX would be beyond the budget, as you noted.

The Civic and the Corolla would comfortably satisfy the criteria you mentioned, the latter is prone to vandalism during to the relatively high demand.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed On Motor Vehicle To Purchase by Unbeliever(m): 10:09pm On Jun 09, 2019
CarGuideNG:

Of the vehicle options you listed, your Tokunbo budget would be adequate for the 2003 - 2008 Corolla, Accord, Civic, Elantra, Sonata, 2002 - 2006 Camry, and to an extent the Avalon. The Lexus RX would be beyond the budget, as you noted.

The Civic and the Corolla would comfortably satisfy the criteria you mentioned, the latter is prone to vandalism during to the relatively high demand.
Thank you very much. I intend to get a comprehensive historical report of the prospective vehicle through you when the time comes.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed On Motor Vehicle To Purchase by Y1nka(m): 9:01am On Sep 27, 2019
Unbeliever:
Hello nairalanders,
I wish to seek your opinions and advice on the brand of Car to purchase with a maximum budget of 2 million naira. I have considered several options such as the Toyota corrola, Honda civic, Honda accord (worried about ball joint issues), Toyota camry, Toyota avalon, hyundai elantra or possibly sonata. I also considered the lexus rx 330 but from little research it seems way above my budget. Apart from the budget ceiling, factors such as good fuel economy, reliability, durability and low cost of maintenance are also my main considerations. It's going to be my first car purchase and I'm relatively inexperienced with cars. Please throw in your suggestions and advice, even on cars that I have not mentioned. I anticipate your candid and intelligible opinions. Thank you

.. I am a young car culture person, not a mecahinc or any sort, but i make lot of enquiries before buying cars. Ive bought 5 different cars so far , and here is my verdict on them.

Honda Civic (I bought different model twice) : great fuel efficiency, good maneuver around corners , partly reliable (if not for electrical issues), good price, not so much resale value though.

Kia Rio: fuel efficient , quiet cheap for each year/model as compared to other cars, but loud and sluggish drive, wobbles on high speed, no electrical issues but beware of air condition and mechanical issues, worse resale value than the civic.

Honda accord: nice , but be careful. Buy only from 2009 and above to avoid that common "Honda leg" issue, fuel efficiency is not bad, sporty drive, average comfort, fast, beware of suspension and ball joint issues.

Hyundai Elantra: my best over the years, fuel efficient , fun drive , reliable , and very durable as opposed to many "Toyota" fan out there. Also bought it for a relatively cheaper price than i will get the "almighty Toyota", and i got more value for my money in terms of design, drive, and fuel. Bad side though, beware of air condition issues (you may need total rework), it may take all from your pocket. Electrical or mechanical issue is not common, oil change is better usung synthetic.

Verdict: there is always a car to buy around your budget, just know what you want from it.

My next car if not Lexus would be a Hyundai.
Re: Advice Needed On Motor Vehicle To Purchase by Y1nka(m): 9:07am On Sep 27, 2019
Unbeliever:

Thank you very much. I intend to get a comprehensive historical report of the prospective vehicle through you when the time comes.

In summary,for a reliable and efficient car, your budget would buy a good Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Hyundai Elantra, and a Hyundai Accent..

My two cents or two kobo in this case.

(1) (Reply)

How Efficient Is Chevrolet Captiva 2009 / Rpm Of Car Won't Increase When I Press Gas Pedal / Cost Of Replacing A 2006 Hyundai Sonata Engine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.