Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,132 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:59 PM

Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? (1851 Views)

The Sleep Paralysis I Had: Could This Be A Spirit Wife? / Pastor Adeboye At 76, Human or a spirit? - Sunnewsonline / Help!! I Have A Spirit/Marine Wife. I Need Deliverance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Nov 03, 2019
Henry Drummond once said:

"To love abundantly is to live abundantly; to love forever is to live forever. Hence, eternal life is inextricably bound up with love.

We want to live forever for the same reason we want to live tomorrow! It is because there's someone who loves you, and whom you want to see tomorrow and be with and love back.

There's no other reason why we should live on than that we love and we are loved. It is when a man has no one to love him, or thinks that he has no one to love him, that he commits suicide.

So long as he has friends, who love him and whom he loves, he will live, because to live is to love."

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by budaatum: 1:53pm On Jun 14, 2021
FOLYKAZE:

Why haven't you commit suicide and have yourself ported to heaven? Could your insistence on staying on earth with struggles and pains mean heaven isn't real?

So you intend to abandon your mission and purpose on earth to go and enjoy bliss in heaven?

It is to disabuse you of this silly thinking that we wrote the children's story of The Goose & the Golden Egg and taught you how to read. The intention is that on reading you would reflect and learn and understand and acquire wise doings (wisdom), instead of expecting to be spoonfed.

The Goose & the Golden Egg

There was once a Countryman who possessed the most wonderful Goose you can imagine, for every day when he visited the nest, the Goose had laid a beautiful, glittering, golden egg.

The Countryman took the eggs to market and soon began to get rich. But it was not long before he grew impatient with the Goose because she gave him only a single golden egg a day. He was not getting rich fast enough.

Then one day, after he had finished counting his money, the idea came to him that he could get all the golden eggs at once by killing the Goose and cutting it open. But when the deed was done, not a single golden egg did he find, and his precious Goose was dead.

Those who have plenty want more and so lose all they have.

For further more advanced learning you might also want to consider the Stanford Marshmallow Experiment.

Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by budaatum: 2:04pm On Jun 14, 2021
OkCornel:

The issue of suicide and depression is really serious especially in this country where we have professed believers committing such...

The key word in the above is "believers".

If you believe what you read in a Physics textbook or a Chemistry textbook, what are the chances that you would ever become a physicists, or a chemist, or an engineer or a doctor? Does zero chance come to your mind?

If so, why would believers not tremble like demons do and commit suicide?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by MaxInDHouse(m): 5:46pm On Jun 14, 2021
I've deleted that account now i'm using this one "MaxInDHouse"

Please what is the topic or why the invitation?

OkCornel:

The point of this thread is to show how early Christians perservered to the very end despite the hardships they faced in their time.
They were not Lily livered or faint hearted like the self professed Christians...some of which are battling depression and committing suicide today...
I hope this is basic enough for you to understand...
Cc: Agrogbeide, elated177, Maximus69, guess who showed up here... after dodging questions on the tithes and first fruits thread...
Please check the content of what this thread is about and check Dencotext's response...then tell me if he is really sane...
Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by Kobojunkie: 6:05pm On Jun 14, 2021
OkCornel:
Good morning everyone,
Trust your week started on a bright note.
Considering the fact that joy is one of the fruits of the Holy Spirit as stated in Galatians 5 v 22, the question is...Should a spirit filled believer be battling depression, contemplate and succumb to suicidal thoughts?

Definition of Depression - feelings of severe despondency and dejection.
Synonyms of Depression - melancholy, misery, sadness, unhappiness, sorrow, woe, gloom, gloominess, dejection, downheartedness, despondency, dispiritedness, low spirits, heavy-heartedness, moroseness, discouragement, despair, desolation, dolefulness, moodiness, pessimism, hopelessness; the slough of despond; upset, tearfulness; informalthe dumps, the doldrums, the blues, one's black dog, a low;

Now bear in mind per the dictionary definition of both joy and depression, these are both feelings...

Life is full of the good times, the bad times, the horrible times and the ugly times... but should a spirit filled believer's outlook and feelings ultimately be controlled by the situation they face? No.

Things are not getting rosier... and guess what? Even the early believers in the new covenant, at the height of persecution in the roman empire faced a lot worse than some...if not most self professed believers today!

Can you explain having your properties and all you've worked for unjustly seized? Having your loved ones fed to the lions right before your eyes for not denying the truth?

For a better understanding... let's have a deep dive into the lives of the early apostles and the early true worshipers in the early church who never had their spirits broken despite the challenges of life they faced! They faced this, not by their strength...but by the power from the Spirit of God... Yes, that same Spirit that is the source of Joy unconditional....
If the question is "Can one who has even the Spirit of Truth succumb to depression? My answer is that it is possible and I say this because even Jesus Christ said , "Blessed are the poor in Spirit for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven". undecided

If we look in the bible for example of people who followed God and may have dealt with depression/despair, we find people like Moses, Jeremiah and even David.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by budaatum: 6:09pm On Jun 14, 2021
Kobojunkie:

If we look in the bible for example of people who followed God and may have dealt with depression/despair, we find people like Moses, Jeremiah and even David.

"Dealt with!"

They were not overcome nor did they succumb.
Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by OkCornel(m): 6:11pm On Jun 14, 2021
Kobojunkie:
If the question is "Can one who has even the Spirit of Truth succumb to depression? My answer is that it is possible and I say this because even Jesus Christ said , "Blessed are the poor in Spirit for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven". undecided

Fair point.

Got any examples from the New Testament (after Christ’s death and resurrection)?

I get you though, life throws things across our way that can make us sad and grieve which makes us human anyways. But to remain in that state of mind for an extended period of time is where the issue is.
Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by OkCornel(m): 6:13pm On Jun 14, 2021
MaxInDHouse:
I've deleted that account now i'm using this one "MaxInDHouse"

Please what is the topic or why the invitation?

Thanks for honouring my invitation smiley

Just wanted to get your viewpoint on whether it’s reasonable for Spirit filled believers to battle depression, even to the point of suicide.
Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by Kobojunkie: 6:31pm On Jun 14, 2021
OkCornel:

Fair point.

Got any examples from the New Testament (after Christ’s death and resurrection)?

I get you though, life throws things across our way that can make us sad and grieve which makes us human anyways. But to remain in that state of mind for an extended period of time is where the issue is.
Recall also that Jesus Christ literally promised us sufferings and tribulations in this new life so depression is not totally out of the question for followers of Jesus Christ. If anything, it should be expected because this walk is a "lonely" one particularly since we each answer directly to God Himself and not to friends, family or even so-called Mogs and all that. undecided

Also recall that the Spirit of God is given to us as "Comforter" and "Counselor", two things important to persons in cases of depression/despair. undecided

In the New Testament, there isn't much written about the lives of the individual apostles for me conclude but I suspect that John and maybe Peter may have experienced despair at various points in their walk. undecided

I don't know what your idea of an extended period of time will be right now but doesn't this all depend on how long the suffering God allows goes on for? undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by Kobojunkie: 6:46pm On Jun 14, 2021
budaatum:

"Dealt with!"
They were not overcome nor did they succumb.
Interesting claim you make!

An interesting story is that of Elisha who is said to have succumbed to illness. Elisha had God's own Spirit on Him yet He succumbed to illness in the end. Is Depression, an illness, out of the question? undecided
Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by budaatum: 6:50pm On Jun 14, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Interesting claim you make!

An interesting story is that of Elisha who is said to have succumbed to illness. Elisha had God's own Spirit on Him yet He succumbed to illness in the end. Is Depression, an illness, out of the question? undecided

You will equally argue that those who died succumbed to death but you will have to find someone else to argue with because we both know we would be wasting each others time.

As far as you are concerned, I said my bit. Take it junkie, or leave it, the pleasure must be your's.
Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:53pm On Jun 14, 2021
You're welcome my friend!

Actually before the advent of Christianity faithful servants of God like Job, Elijah, Jeremiah and others in ancient times do contemplate suicide asking God to take their life. This is because they believe God can do that for them just as He did for Enoch whose lifespan was shortened due to evildoers probably seeking to take his life back then.

That's why Jesus could say such ideas ended when John the baptist who happens to be the last Israelite prophet in line with the old covenant walked this planet {Matthew 11:13} this time around whoever wants to enter into the Kingdom of God must be prepared to pay whatever it will cost no matter how hard the situation we must face it without giving in to depression! Matthew 11:12 compare to Luke 13:24

That's why the Christians never allowed anything to discourage them, Satan just want to make them feel their life is worthless. So no matter what happens even if we should fall spiritually speaking we mustn't give up by committing suicide, remember what Jesus said about Judai Iscariot who gave up and killed himself, he wasn't the only person that betrayed Jesus.
So the Christians were fully prepared to let go of everything even if they should die in the hands of Satan's agents {Matthew 10:28} just to gain the crown of life. Revelations 2:10

So let us treasure Jesus' reassuring words in our hearts {John 16:33} and we will also conquer Satan no matter what he brings to weigh us down! Ephesians 6:10-11

God bless you and may you have PEACE!

OkCornel:

Thanks for honouring my invitation smiley
Just wanted to get your viewpoint on whether it’s reasonable for Spirit filled believers to battle depression, even to the point of suicide.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by Kobojunkie: 6:56pm On Jun 14, 2021
budaatum:

You will equally argue that those who died succumbed to death but you will have to find someone else to argue with because we both know we would be wasting each others time.

As far as you are concerned, I said my bit. Take it junkie, or leave it, the pleasure must be your's.
Succumbing to Death is akin to succumbing to illness? Interesting thinking! undecided

Why fight against illness if it is all Death in the end? undecided
Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by Kobojunkie: 7:03pm On Jun 14, 2021
Henry Drummond once said:
"To love abundantly is to live abundantly; to love forever is to live forever. Hence, eternal life is inextricably bound up with love.

We want to live forever for the same reason we want to live tomorrow! It is because there's someone who loves you, and whom you want to see tomorrow and be with and love back.

There's no other reason why we should live on than that we love and we are loved. It is when a man has no one to love him, or thinks that he has no one to love him, that he commits suicide.

So long as he has friends, who love him and whom he loves, he will live, because to live is to love."
How does a one, consumed with guilt, sorrow, and despair, an emptiness to which there seems no bottom to, fathom that which you call love ? undecided
Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by budaatum: 7:30pm On Jun 14, 2021
OkCornel:

If a person remains in a discomforted state that person is doing something wrong due to a lack of or a wrong understanding.

I will quote from outside Christianity and tag Christ at the end but ask you to understand through the lens of Christianity.

I will give you a task at the end (if you are up for it), to assist you to understand.

The Four Noble Truths

The First Noble Truth
The first noble truth is called Dukkha, which means suffering. It says that life is full of suffering. To say it a different way, in life, there is sickness, poverty (being poor), old age, and death. People can not keep what they want. People can not avoid what they do not want. If that is all a person learns, they suffer.

The Second Noble Truth
The second noble truth is Samudaya, which says that there is a reason for the suffering in the world. It says that the reason there is suffering is that people want things. It also says that the reason there is suffering is that people want what they think is real. They do this because they are ignorant. People do wrong actions because they want things and because they do not see what is real. Those evil actions lead to suffering.

The Third Noble Truth
The third noble truth is Nirodha. It says that people can be free from suffering when they no longer want [the wrong] things.

The Fourth Noble Truth
The fourth noble truth is called Magga. It says that for a person to stop wanting [the wrong] things, they must follow a set of rules. The rules are called the Noble Eightfold Path.

Thus ends part one.

The Noble Eightfold Path

The Eightfold Path says that truth is found in the Middle Way. A person can get to the Middle Way by following the eightfold path. The eight parts are these:

Right Vision. A person should try to see things the way they really are.

Right Values. A person should try to turn their mind away from the world and towards the Dharma.

Right Speech. A person should try to be truthful and kind when they talk.

Right Actions. A person should try to do good things. If they cannot do a good thing, then they should try to not do a bad thing.

Right Livelihood. A person should not work at something that can hurt themselves or other people.

Right Effort. A person should try to increase their goodness and get rid of their evil.

Right Mindfulness. A person must remember the Dharma and use it all the time

Right Meditation. A person must try to reach enlightenment through meditation.

Thus ends part two.

Below are two Readings from the Bible, one from Psalm 15 and the other from John 14:6. They are not in any particular order.

And now for the task

1. Ask and knock and seek understanding with all your heart and soul and mind and being.

2. Syncretise!

God and Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit and the sweat of thy brow will guide you.

Duration for the task is lifetime.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by budaatum: 7:40pm On Jun 14, 2021
when you say you are a christain they see you as an easy person to torment, ....
Above is the same question posed in this thread. Suicide is due to torment.

And the response below is a Biblical version of my post above, for those who read only one book.

budaatum:

If you are tormented you have not imbibed enough Jesus Christ! For those who have imbibed will sit even in the presence of enemies and enjoy a good meal because "thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me".

Therefore, and in order not to be tormented, put on the full armor of God, buckle the belt of truth around your waist with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God and stand your ground after you have done everything to stand. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests so that whenever you speak, words may be given you so that you will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel which you yourself must first have asked and knocked and sought with all your heart and soul and mind and being so that you yourself may know it and not just believe and tremble like demons do.

Whoever does these things will never be shaken!
Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by Kobojunkie: 7:48pm On Jun 14, 2021
OkCornel:
The point of this thread is to show how early Christians perservered to the very end despite the hardships they faced in their time.

They were not Lily livered or faint hearted like the self professed Christians...some of which are battling depression and committing suicide today...
I hope this is basic enough for you to understand...
They persevered but that don't mean they were high on some sort of Joy juice to the end. undecided

Consider the case of Jesus Christ, before He was taken away by the soldiers. Jesus Christ experienced despair - we see a totally human side to Him.
Matthew 26 vs 36 - 40(ERV)

36 Then Jesus went with his followers to a place called Gethsemane. He said to them, “Sit here while I go there and pray.”
37 He told Peter and the two sons of Zebedee to come with him. Then he began to be very sad and troubled.
38 Jesus said to Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, “My heart is so heavy with grief, I feel as if I am dying. Wait here and stay awake with me.”

39 Then Jesus went on a little farther away from them. He fell to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, don’t make me drink from this cup.[a] But do what you want, not what I want.”
40 Then he went back to his followers and found them sleeping. He said to Peter, “Could you men not stay awake with me for one hour?
Also, recall this the same Jesus Christ, who on the cross cried out , "Father, why have you forsaken me"... again, despair!
Jesus Christ was born of the Spirit of God yet He suffered depression even at the end. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by budaatum: 8:00pm On Jun 14, 2021
Kobojunkie:

Why fight against illness if it is all Death in the end? undecided

You fight illness because you know God wants you to live and fulfil a mission, and not out of fear of death.

I have compiled the following in the hope it helps you understand.

The fear of man lays a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is safe.
Proverbs 29:25

For we know that if the tent that is our earthly home is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this tent we groan, longing to put on our heavenly dwelling,
2 Corinthians 5:1-2

Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.”
John 8:51

For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive.
1 Corinthians 15:22

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's.
Romans 14:8

For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his.
Romans 6:5

To those who may see only contradictions, learn to square circles.
Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by Kobojunkie: 8:06pm On Jun 14, 2021
budaatum:

You fight illness because you know God wants you to live and fulfil a mission, and not out of fear of death.

I have compiled the following in the hope it helps you understand.

The fear of man lays a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is safe.
Proverbs 29:25

For we know that if the tent that is our earthly home is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this tent we groan, longing to put on our heavenly dwelling,
2 Corinthians 5:1-2

Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.”
John 8:51

For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive.
1 Corinthians 15:22

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's.
Romans 14:8

For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his.
Romans 6:5

To those who may see only contradictions, learn to square circles.
So, you fight illness but when you succumb to it, you claim it is Death. undecided

Depression is an illness of the mind, and if one succumbs to it, is it a different kind of Death than Death? undecided
Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by budaatum: 8:12pm On Jun 14, 2021
Kobojunkie:
So, you fight illness but when you succumb to it, you claim it is death. undecided
I doubt I'd claim anything when I'm dead. But I shall let you know if I can.

Kobojunkie:
Depression is an illness of the mind, and if one succumbs to it, is it a different kind of Death than Death? undecided
An illness of the mind is not death. And while I have life I have the choice to not succumb and go to the doctor instead, which I doubt I could do once I die.
Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by Kobojunkie: 8:16pm On Jun 14, 2021
budaatum:

I doubt I'd claim anything when I'm dead. But I shall let you know if I can.
An illness of the mind is not death. And while I have life I have the choice to not succumb and go to the doctor instead, which I doubt I could do once I die.
So for illness that is not of the mind, if you go to see a doctor while alive but succumb in the end, that Death is welcome as we assume in Elisha's case. undecided
But if the case of the illness of mind, even if you see a doctor while alive but succumbed in the end, that Death is not welcomed? undecided
Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by budaatum: 8:27pm On Jun 14, 2021
Kobojunkie:
So for illness that is not of the mind, if you go to see a doctor while alive but succumb in the end, that Death is welcome as we assume in Elisha's case. undecided
I'll have to let you know after I die if I welcomed death or not, but before I die, and while I am alive I'll try to live, but if death is inevitable I'll embrace it with fortitude I guess, even though death to me means worm food.

That's what my own father did, approach death with fortitude, so I expect I would do the same since he taught me well.

Kobojunkie:
But if the case of the illness of mind, even if you see a doctor while alive but succumbed in the end, that Death is not welcomed? undecided
As in if an illness of the mind kills me?

I doubt that's possible since I've posted the cure for illnesses of the mind above. You do know I will take my own medicine, and wouldn't give it to you without taking it for myself if needed, right? I don't even think I'd need to go to a doctor since I already have the cure for illnesses of the mind, so I don't really see how an illness of the mind could possibly be my cause of death.
Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by Kobojunkie: 8:31pm On Jun 14, 2021
budaatum:

I'll have to let you know after I die if I welcomed death or not, but before I die, and while I am alive I'll try to live, but if death is inevitable I'll embrace it with fortitude I guess, even though death to me means worm food.

That's what my own father did, approach death with fortitude, so I expect I would do the same since he taught me well.
I doubt that's possible since I've posted the cure for illnesses of the mind above. You do know I will take my own medicine, and wouldn't give it to you without taking it for myself if needed, right? I don't even think I'd need to go to a doctor since I already have the cure for illnesses of the mind, so I don't really see how an illness of the mind could possibly be my cause of death.
So, the doctors are wrong in this that an illness of the mind can kill. And there claim that even treatment does not always work is also wrong , and this according to you? undecided
Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by budaatum: 8:34pm On Jun 14, 2021
Kobojunkie:
So, the doctors are wrong in this that an illness of the mind can kill.

Who told you illnesses of the mind can not kill? Where did you get that idea from?

Can you please inform me what causes the death of a person who successfully commits suicide please?
Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by Kobojunkie: 8:38pm On Jun 14, 2021
budaatum:
Who told you illnesses of the mind can not kill? Where did you get that idea from?

Can you please inform me what causes the death of a person who successfully commits suicide please?
I am simply trying to understand your own responses is all.
budaatum:
I doubt that's possible since I've posted the cure for illnesses of the mind above. You do know I will take my own medicine, and wouldn't give it to you without taking it for myself if needed, right?
I don't even think I'd need to go to a doctor since I already have the cure for illnesses of the mind, so I don't really see how an illness of the mind could possibly be my cause of death.
undecided
Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by budaatum: 8:45pm On Jun 14, 2021
Kobojunkie:
I am simply trying to understand your own responses is all. undecided

No you are not! "trying to understand your own responses is all", at all.

In fact, you are actually trying very hard not to understand my responses by trying to play smart though you clearly aren't as you can clearly see for yourself, though you'd never admit it!

How does, an illness of the mind can not kill buda because buda knows the cure for illnesses of the mind, become "doctors are wrong in this that an illness of the mind can kill"?

Is buda everybody? Did a doctor tell you an illness of the mind can kill buda?
Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by Kobojunkie: 8:54pm On Jun 14, 2021
budaatum:

No you are not! "trying to understand your own responses is all", at all.

In fact, you are actually trying very hard not to understand my responses by trying to play smart though you clearly aren't as you can clearly see for yourself, though you'd never admit it!

How does, an illness of the mind can not kill buda because buda know the cure for illnesses of the mind, become "doctors are wrong in this that an illness of the mind can kill"?

Is buda everybody? Did a doctor tell you an illness of the mind can kill buda?
This was never about your person. I am partly to blame as I assume we are all capable of walking a mile or two in the shoes of others. I should rephrase my original question then. undecided

Are you saying here that for illness that is not of the mind, if a patient visits a doctor while alive but eventually succumbs in the end, such a death is welcome as in the case of Elisha. However, if the illness is instead that of the mind, even if the patient visits a doctor for treatment but eventually succumbs, such a death is not welcomed? undecided
Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by budaatum: 9:07pm On Jun 14, 2021
Kobojunkie:
This was never about your person. I am partly to blame as I assume we are all capable of walking a mile or two in the shoes of others. I should rephrase my original question then. undecided

Are you saying here that for illness that is not of the mind, if a patient visits a doctor while alive but eventually succumbs in the end, such a death is welcome as in the case of Elisha. However, if the illness is instead that of the mind, even if the patient visits a doctor for treatment but eventually succumbs, such a death is not welcomed? undecided

No! I am saying nothing of the sort! Not everyone is Elisha, or my father or buda, so I would expect differences in attitude towards dying. And I have not walked a mile or two in the shoes of any dead person so I can not say if they welcomed their death or not, nor can I say how another individual might react to their dying or death unless it is a person I know and who died like my father died and that I already mentioned. And he did not welcome death, as you put it, he knew he was dying and faced it with fortitude. And now that my father is dead, I'm afraid to say that he has not yet given me any feedback that his death was welcomed or not welcomed!
Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by Kobojunkie: 9:32pm On Jun 14, 2021
budaatum:

No! I am saying nothing of the sort! Not everyone is Elisha, or my father or buda, so I would expect differences in attitude towards dying. And I have not walked a mile or two in the shoes of any dead person so I can not say if they welcomed their death or not, nor can I say how another individual might react to their dying or death unless it is a person I know and who died like my father died and that I already mentioned. And he did not welcome death, as you put it, he knew he was dying and faced it with fortitude. And now that my father is dead, I'm afraid to say that he has not yet given me any feedback that his death was welcomed or not welcomed!
Nevermind! undecided
Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by budaatum: 9:43pm On Jun 14, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Nevermind! undecided

Mind? buda? Never! I have made note of your "capable of walking a mile or two in the shoes of other dead people" though, so make sure you never ever forget or I shall delightfully be reminding you.

Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by OkCornel(m): 9:48pm On Jun 14, 2021
budaatum:

If a person remains in a discomforted state that person is doing something wrong due to a lack of or a wrong understanding.

I will quote from outside Christianity and tag Christ at the end but ask you to understand through the lens of Christianity.

I will give you a task at the end (if you are up for it), to assist you to understand.

The Four Noble Truths

The First Noble Truth
The first noble truth is called Dukkha, which means suffering. It says that life is full of suffering. To say it a different way, in life, there is sickness, poverty (being poor), old age, and death. People can not keep what they want. People can not avoid what they do not want. If that is all a person learns, they suffer.

The Second Noble Truth
The second noble truth is Samudaya, which says that there is a reason for the suffering in the world. It says that the reason there is suffering is that people want things. It also says that the reason there is suffering is that people want what they think is real. They do this because they are ignorant. People do wrong actions because they want things and because they do not see what is real. Those evil actions lead to suffering.

The Third Noble Truth
The third noble truth is Nirodha. It says that people can be free from suffering when they no longer want [the wrong] things.

The Fourth Noble Truth
The fourth noble truth is called Magga. It says that for a person to stop wanting [the wrong] things, they must follow a set of rules. The rules are called the Noble Eightfold Path.

Thus ends part one.

The Noble Eightfold Path

The Eightfold Path says that truth is found in the Middle Way. A person can get to the Middle Way by following the eightfold path. The eight parts are these:

Right Vision. A person should try to see things the way they really are.

Right Values. A person should try to turn their mind away from the world and towards the Dharma.

Right Speech. A person should try to be truthful and kind when they talk.

Right Actions. A person should try to do good things. If they cannot do a good thing, then they should try to not do a bad thing.

Right Livelihood. A person should not work at something that can hurt themselves or other people.

Right Effort. A person should try to increase their goodness and get rid of their evil.

Right Mindfulness. A person must remember the Dharma and use it all the time

Right Meditation. A person must try to reach enlightenment through meditation.

Thus ends part two.

Below are two Readings from the Bible, one from Psalm 15 and the other from [url=https://classic.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+14%3A6&version=KJV]John 14:6[/url]. They are not in any particular order.

And now for the task

1. Ask and knock and seek understanding with all your heart and soul and mind and being.

2. Syncretise!

God and Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit and the sweat of thy brow will guide you.

Duration for the task is lifetime.

GOLD!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should A Spirit Filled Believer Succumb To Depression And Suicide? by OkCornel(m): 9:56pm On Jun 14, 2021
MaxInDHouse:
You're welcome my friend!

Actually before the advent of Christianity faithful servants of God like Job, Elijah, Jeremiah and others in ancient times do contemplate suicide asking God to take their life. This is because they believe God can do that for them just as He did for Enoch whose lifespan was shortened due to evildoers probably seeking to take his life back then.

That's why Jesus could say such ideas ended when John the baptist who happens to be the last Israelite prophet in line with the old covenant walked this planet {Matthew 11:13} this time around whoever wants to enter into the Kingdom of God must be prepared to pay whatever it will cost no matter how hard the situation we must face it without giving in to depression! Matthew 11:12 compare to Luke 13:24

That's why the Christians never allowed anything to discourage them, Satan just want to make them feel their life is worthless. So no matter what happens even if we should fall spiritually speaking we mustn't give up by committing suicide, remember what Jesus said about Judai Iscariot who gave up and killed himself, he wasn't the only person that betrayed Jesus.
So the Christians were fully prepared to let go of everything even if they should die in the hands of Satan's agents {Matthew 10:28} just to gain the crown of life. Revelations 2:10

So let us treasure Jesus' reassuring words in our hearts {John 16:33} and we will also conquer Satan no matter what he brings to weigh us down! Ephesians 6:10-11

God bless you and may you have PEACE!

Thanks brother, may the Almighty bless you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Protesters Burn Bible And American Flag As Tensions Rise In Portland / Erotic Verses From The Bible / Workch Says Atheists Are Apes!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.