Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,891 members, 7,828,148 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:15 AM

I Want To Upgrade My Laptop For Strictly Gaming! - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / I Want To Upgrade My Laptop For Strictly Gaming! (1016 Views)

I Want To Upgrade My Ram, But I Need Advice / I Want To Upgrade My Window 7 To Window 10. Will It Be Good For Me? / Urgent: What Do I Need To Successfully Upgrade My Graphic Card (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Upgrade My Laptop For Strictly Gaming! by herakles: 9:58am On Jun 10, 2019
Hello everyone!

I want to upgrade my laptop for gaming purposes only. From my research on Google, I need to increase the clock speed (whatever that means), add an upgraded graphics card and possibly increase my laptop ram size grin

what I need is someone that has done something similar before or has the technical expertise to pull it off. I also need a total costing of this "surgery" on my laptop, an Acer aspire 5920. How much is the 4GB ram, the graphics card and the "overclocking" the laptop?
Re: I Want To Upgrade My Laptop For Strictly Gaming! by ogtavia(m): 10:08am On Jun 10, 2019
Why not buy a used gaming laptop? It's more reliable and cost effective. Upgrading a non - gaming laptop to have gaming features doesn't necessarily mean it has become a gaming laptop. Recent games which you are probably eyeing require very good graphics card which are quite expensive. Check AliExpress, Amazon or bestbuy for prices of ram and graphics card like the NVIDIA GeForce or the ATI Radeon. By the way , what laptop are you using currently and what are its specs?
Re: I Want To Upgrade My Laptop For Strictly Gaming! by herakles: 10:33am On Jun 10, 2019
ogtavia:
Why not buy a used gaming laptop? It's more reliable and cost effective. Upgrading a non - gaming laptop to have gaming features doesn't necessarily mean it has become a gaming laptop. Recent games which you are probably eyeing require very good graphics card which are quite expensive. Check AliExpress, Amazon or bestbuy for prices of ram and graphics card like the NVIDIA GeForce or the ATI Radeon. By the way , what laptop are you using currently and what are its specs?

buying a used gaming laptop is still above my budget, unfortunately. The upgrade certainly won't cost as much as a used Alienware or Asus.

I have an Acer aspire 5920 laptop, instead of disposing it unceremoniously or giving it out to someone that probably doesn't deserve it, I came up with the bright idea to convert it to a gaming laptop grin
Re: I Want To Upgrade My Laptop For Strictly Gaming! by daamazing(m): 11:03am On Jun 10, 2019
herakles:

buying a used gaming laptop is still above my budget, unfortunately. The upgrade certainly won't cost as much as a used Alienware or Asus.

I have an Acer aspire 5920 laptop, instead of disposing it unceremoniously or giving it out to someone that probably doesn't deserve it, I came up with the bright idea to convert it to a gaming laptop grin
Technically you can, is it cheaper or the best option?
No!
You're using a core 2 duo,first you'll need to upgrade that already damned processor(it's palatable but meh)...
Regarding upgrading installing a graphics card, if you are lucky enough to upgrade the SOC, you'll need a board that supports USB 3.0 / thunderbolt to support an external graphic card,which are expensive af too and require more space, you'll also need to plug the graphic card too separately. A GTX 1050 thunderbolt dock would cost you at least 140k!
So...
If you need a gaming laptop sha, pm me wink

Re: I Want To Upgrade My Laptop For Strictly Gaming! by herakles: 11:41am On Jun 10, 2019
daamazing:
No!
You're using a core 2 duo,first you'll need to upgrade that already damned processor(it's palatable but meh)...
Regarding upgrading installing a graphics card, if you are lucky enough to upgrade the SOC, you'll need a board that supports USB 3.0 / thunderbolt to support an external graphic card,which are expensive af too and require more space, you'll also need to plug the graphic card too separately. A GTX 1050 thunderbolt dock would cost you at least 140k!
So...

hmmm... interesting
Re: I Want To Upgrade My Laptop For Strictly Gaming! by ogtavia(m): 12:14pm On Jun 10, 2019
herakles:

That's an old laptop. You probably won't do much with it anyway. Check Mikkyangel on Nairaland.
Re: I Want To Upgrade My Laptop For Strictly Gaming! by herakles: 12:45pm On Jun 10, 2019
ogtavia:

That's an old laptop. You probably won't do much with it anyway. Check Mikkyangel on Nairaland.

yeah! I know, but thanks for the referral anyway smiley
Re: I Want To Upgrade My Laptop For Strictly Gaming! by henryduru2(m): 12:27am On Jun 11, 2019
Well if u need a gaming laptop i have one for sale
Re: I Want To Upgrade My Laptop For Strictly Gaming! by KuzBoi29(m): 9:29am On Jun 11, 2019
daamazing:
No!
So...
bro please can this work on USB Type C port or must it be only thunderbolt
Re: I Want To Upgrade My Laptop For Strictly Gaming! by daamazing(m): 9:59am On Jun 11, 2019
KuzBoi29:
bro please can this work on USB Type C port or must it be only thunderbolt
For a stock type c port? Nope! It would be a serious bootlneck for the bus. Would only work with Type C ports which supports thunderbolt speeds.

(1) (Reply)

Like New UK Used Dell Latitude E7450 5th Gen i5 @ Giveaway Price *sold / Help Me Please / Osama Bin-laden Virus Alert: Warn Everyone!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.