Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,870 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:23 AM

Wives And Career - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Wives And Career (1285 Views)

Why Do Married Men Suddenly Lose Interest In Their Wives and try to avoid her? / Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? / Nigerian Man Celebrates Sallah With His Three Wives And 19 Children (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wives And Career by Nobody: 9:15am On Jun 13, 2019
Is it possible for a wife that submits to her husband to have a successful career?
Re: Wives And Career by Miarose: 9:33am On Jun 13, 2019
No.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wives And Career by ibkayee(f): 9:33am On Jun 13, 2019
It’s scenario dependant

For example:

Since the whole idea of submitting to your husband is that he has the final say, if he doesn’t want her to take a specific job or have a career at all then she can’t essentially

So in this particular case, it isn’t possible

2 Likes

Re: Wives And Career by lilmax(m): 9:40am On Jun 13, 2019
lol

time for unmarried women to give married women advice grin

so what it is now is

submit= no career
don't submit = career

where are these dumb women coming from?

3 Likes

Re: Wives And Career by LordKO(m): 9:53am On Jun 13, 2019
Yes. In fact, the most successful women I know are those who are submissive to their husbands - sane husbands. Submissiveness is neither a success inhibition nor a disease. Behind any family you see where the couple has peace of mind mutually, there's a man who loves his wife and a wife who's submissive to her husband.

And every sane man knows that the last person to take for granted is a submissive woman, because when pushed to the wall she can mar the mightiest of men. Someone like Jeff Bezos is lucky he came out less-scattered after taken his ex-submissive wife for granted.

Meanwhile, the biggest misconception out there is an average Black woman's thought that sane White women aren't submissive to their husbands - they're.

Submissiveness doesn't mean a man having his way over his wife, even when he's wrong in his thought or action - selflessness, which is the soul of submissiveness doesn't mean absence of conscientiousness. A sane man knows the importance of being thoughtful and tactful towards his wife.

12 Likes

Re: Wives And Career by Nobody: 10:17am On Jun 13, 2019
lilmax:
lol

so what it is now is

submit= no career
don't submit = career

i tire for this women
Re: Wives And Career by Nobody: 11:25am On Jun 13, 2019
yes
Re: Wives And Career by Acidosis(m): 11:47am On Jun 13, 2019
ibkayee:
It’s scenario dependant

For example:

Since the whole idea of submitting to your husband is that he has the final say, if he doesn’t want her to take a specific job or have a career at all then she can’t essentially

So in this particular case, it isn’t possible

Absolutely. If he doesn't want her to take a job in a brothel or strip club, then she can't essentially.

2 Likes

Re: Wives And Career by ibkayee(f): 11:56am On Jun 13, 2019
Acidosis:

Absolutely. If he doesn't want her to take a job in a brothel or strip club, then she can't essentially.
I know this was supposed to be an edgy retort but jokes aside, you haven’t heard of cases where the husband doesn’t want the wife to work?

1 Like

Re: Wives And Career by bukatyne(f): 12:06pm On Jun 13, 2019
ibkayee:

I know this was supposed to be an edgy retort but jokes aside, you haven’t heard of cases where the husband doesn’t want the wife to work?

Someone's husband I know refused her getting a better paying job so she doesn't earn more than him.

Same woman is responsible for most things at home.

2 Likes

Re: Wives And Career by Kendumazy(m): 12:10pm On Jun 13, 2019
Very possible
Re: Wives And Career by Acidosis(m): 12:12pm On Jun 13, 2019
ibkayee:

Someone posted this earlier "submissiveness doesn't mean a man having his way over his wife". Nothing is wrong in having certain prejudices about about situations, job, in-laws, place of worship, etc. It is not gender specific.

People should focus on marrying sane partners. A man can allow you to work 24/7 so he can merry in peace and tour the world with his side chicks, not necessarily because he wants the best for you. Some want you to work so you pay most of the bills.

Marrying sane and loving/lovable partners should be our focus. Submissiveness, and the rest are extremely natural when love prevails.

Btw, the decision to work or not should be talked about before marriage.

1 Like

Re: Wives And Career by bukatyne(f): 12:12pm On Jun 13, 2019
Mellowbandw:
Is it possible for a wife that submits to her husband to have a successful career?

What is your definition of submission?
What is your definition of a successful career?
Re: Wives And Career by bukatyne(f): 12:14pm On Jun 13, 2019
Acidosis:

Someone posted this earlier "submissiveness doesn't mean a man having his way over his wife". Nothing is wrong in having certain prejudices about about situations, job, in-laws, place of worship, etc. It is not gender specific.

People should focus on marrying sane partners. A man can allow you to work 24/7 so he can merry in peace and tour the world with his side chicks, not necessarily because he wants the best for you. Some want you to work so you pay most of the bills.

Marrying sane and loving/lovable partners should be our focus. Submissiveness, and the rest are extremely natural when love prevails.

This one I agree with you so....... grin grin

Marrying sane partners is key.

2 Likes

Re: Wives And Career by ibkayee(f): 12:15pm On Jun 13, 2019
bukatyne:

Someone's husband I know refused her getting a better paying job so she doesn't earn more than him.

Same woman is responsible for most things at home.
Imagine having to tone down your ambition and career progression because of an insecure husband lol. This is the type of scenario where submitting can get in the way of your career as a woman

2 Likes

Re: Wives And Career by ibkayee(f): 12:19pm On Jun 13, 2019
Acidosis:

Ideal situations where the partner is ‘sane’ are great but this often isn’t the case.

Bukatyne just mentioned a situation where someone’s husband didn’t want her to get a better paying job than him, these are the types of situations I’m talking about

1 Like

Re: Wives And Career by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jun 13, 2019
Mellowbandw:
yesssss very possible it depends on the kind of husband
Re: Wives And Career by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jun 13, 2019
With a good man yes.
Re: Wives And Career by bukatyne(f): 1:06pm On Jun 13, 2019
ibkayee:

Imagine having to tone down your ambition and career progression because of an insecure husband lol. This is the type of scenario where submitting can get in the way of your career as a woman

In this woman's case, the husband is wicked.

His salary is in the upper middle class band in Nigeria.
Re: Wives And Career by Miarose: 1:51pm On Jun 13, 2019
U are an idealist, I worry for you cos human nature is brutal. Unfortunately , people are not always ALL we think they are. Humans are a sum of all parts. As a partner, do you know all their parts before marriage, heck, do they even know all their parts?
If the implementation of the agreement is postponed indefinitely, what can you do?

Before marriage, all there is is promises and vows. You better pray your spouse has high doses of integrity and selflessness, else, those words all come to nothing.
Acidosis:

2 Likes

Re: Wives And Career by TheeDetective: 2:03pm On Jun 13, 2019
@bold; those words are what I call WORDS ON MARBLE; nice one cool.
LordKO:
Yes. In fact, the most successful women I know are those who are submissive to their husbands - sane husbands. Submissiveness is neither a success inhibition nor a disease. Behind any family you see where the couple has peace of mind mutually, there's a man who loves his wife and a wife who's submissive to her husband.

And every sane man knows that the last person to take for granted is a submissive woman, because when pushed to the wall she can mar the mightiest of men. Someone like Jeff Bezos is lucky he came out less-scattered after taken his ex-submissive wife for granted.

Meanwhile, the biggest misconception out there is an average Black woman's thought that sane White women aren't submissive to their husbands - they're.

Submissiveness doesn't mean a man having his way over his wife, even when he's wrong in his thought or action - selflessness, which is the soul of submissiveness doesn't mean absence of conscientiousness. A sane man knows the importance of being thoughtful and tactful towards his wife.

There seems to be so many threads talking about this one word ‘SUBMISSIVENESS ’so frequently on Nairaland; WHY? It’s simple; WIVES-BE SUBMISSIVE TO YOUR HUSBANDS AND HUSBANDS-LOVE YOUR WIFE. Why is it becoming so difficult for this to be applied? undecided Huh!!!

Your question @op; yes it’s possible as long as she knows her career SHOULD IN NO WAY INTERFERE WITH HER ROLE AS A WIFE AND IF SHE HAS CHILDREN AS A MOTHER. Then there wouldn’t be the issue of whether her career would cause problems or not in her marriage.

2 Likes

Re: Wives And Career by crackhaus: 2:09pm On Jun 13, 2019
lilmax:
lol

so what it is now is

submit= no career
don't submit = career

2 Likes

Re: Wives And Career by Nobody: 2:32pm On Jun 13, 2019
lilmax:
lol

so what it is now is

submit= no career
don't submit = career

the type of women we have these days only God can help us, i tell you.
Re: Wives And Career by Pavore9: 2:56pm On Jun 13, 2019
Goodnewsbearer:

the type of women we have these days only God can help us, i tell you.

Those women are our sisters, who raised them? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Wives And Career by ifyalways(f): 3:01pm On Jun 13, 2019
Mellowbandw:
The most abused word in Nigeria now once a male + female is involved= submission.

From the church to mosque to Sango shrine.

Yes it's possible for a career woman to submit to her spouse. It's also possible for s full time housewife to be rebellious, non-submissive and a feminist cheesy

1 Like

Re: Wives And Career by ibkayee(f): 3:01pm On Jun 13, 2019
Miarose:
U are an idealist, I worry for you cos human nature is brutal. Unfortunately , people are not always ALL we think they are. Humans are a sum of all parts. As a partner, do you know all their parts before marriage, heck, do they even know all their parts?
If the implementation of the agreement is postponed indefinitely, what can you do?

Before marriage, all there is is promises and vows. You better pray your spouse has high doses of integrity and selflessness, else, those words all come to nothing.
Lol exactly. Every time “if your partner is good”, completely glossing over all other possible outcomes

They will tell you to ‘just marry a good partner’ to avoid it, as if circumstances don’t have nuances and life is that straightforward. cheesy
Re: Wives And Career by Acidosis(m): 3:07pm On Jun 13, 2019
ibkayee:

Sure, I have heard of such cases. Some provide genuine reasons, others don't.
Re: Wives And Career by Acidosis(m): 3:08pm On Jun 13, 2019
bukatyne:

This one I agree with you so....... grin grin
Marrying sane partners is key.
grin We've never been on the same page?
Re: Wives And Career by Nobody: 3:13pm On Jun 13, 2019
ibkayee:

ibkayee listen wella.
Out here guys that tell their wives not to work are odogwus cool
In other words you will become oriaku cheesy
Chopping his money grin grin grin
No worry when I make that kind bread I go put you on cool
Re: Wives And Career by Acidosis(m): 3:17pm On Jun 13, 2019
ibkayee:

Ideal situations where the partner is ‘sane’ are great but this often isn’t the case.

Bukatyne just mentioned a situation where someone’s husband didn’t want her to get a better paying job than him, these are the types of situations I’m talking about

Well, women who genuinely care about their marriage and family do not necessarily "submit" mindlessly to every decision their husbands make. Remember, the family/marriage comes first? The interest of the family, not just one individual, is priority. Submission is not zombism.
Re: Wives And Career by ibkayee(f): 3:25pm On Jun 13, 2019
nwanneni:
ibkayee listen wella.
Out here guys that tell their wives not to work are odogwus cool
In other words you will become oriaku cheesy
Chopping his money grin grin grin
No worry when I make that kind bread I go put you on cool
Lol there are ladies who are content with this arrangement and that’s fine. But I am talking about women who actually want careers/to progress but are being stopped by their husbands
Re: Wives And Career by Acidosis(m): 3:30pm On Jun 13, 2019
Miarose:

Before marriage, all there is is promises and vows.
You better pray your spouse has high doses of integrity and selflessness, else, those words all come to nothing.

I'm a realist dear. Being a realist doesn't make one a pessimist. Also, I don't agree with the emboldened. While I agree that circumstances change, I don't believe that people have the ability to hide their real nature/character consistently. We just choose to ignore most of the time or believe they would change. That being said, I'm not living in a f00l's paradise, I'm very much aware that no one on earth is perfect, and no relationship or marriage is without conflict.

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Set Of Imported Dining Table & Chairs For Urgent Sale At Giveaway Price / How Do I Make My 16years Old Daughter To Be Taking Onion In Food / import and brand your wedding souvenirs too your taste.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.