Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,742 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

Embattled Acting Chief Judge Of Kebbi Sacked By Governor Bagudu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Embattled Acting Chief Judge Of Kebbi Sacked By Governor Bagudu (1520 Views)

US To Proceed With Case To Seize $150 Million Linked To Governor Bagudu Of Kebbi / Pandora Papers: How Governor Bagudu Amassed Billions And How He Is Hiding It / US Opposes Nigeria's Plan To Hand Abacha Looted Funds To Governor Bagudu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Embattled Acting Chief Judge Of Kebbi Sacked By Governor Bagudu by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jun 14, 2019
Governor Atiku Bagudu has sworn in Justice Sulaiman Ambursa as chief judge of Kebbi state - The governor said he sent Elizabeth Asabe Karatu's name to the state assembly but she was not confirmed - The former acting chief judge claimed she was not confirmed because of her christian faith Governor Atiku Bagudu of Kebbi state has sacked the acting chief judge of the state, Elizabeth Asabe Karatu, and replaced her with Muhtar Imam Jega. Daily Nigerian reports that the governor swore-in Justice Sulaiman Ambursa as Karatu’s replacement in a ceremony on Friday, June 14.

Karatu had written a petition to the NJC alleging that she was denied her rights to confirmation because she is a Christian. The swearing-in followed the refusal of the State House of Assembly to confirm the appointment of Justice Asabe Karatu, the former Acting Chief Judge of the state. “It baffles me when I read a story on social media that I did not forward Karatu’s name for confirmation because of her religion. “If you could recall, I re-submitted the name of Karatu for the second time on June 2, 2018 to the House for confirmation as Chief Judge. “I was informed that on Aug. 1, 2018, the House refused to confirm her appointment over alleged alteration of her date of birth and primary school certificate,” he explained. He said that he lobbied the lawmakers to ensure Karatu was confirmed but all effort proved unsuccessful.

He also disclosed how he wrote to the National Judicial Council (NJC) on his efforts to ensure Karatu was confirmed by the House without fruitful outcome, stressing that the refusal to confirm her was not based on her faith. The governor, however, urged the new Acting Chief Justice to ensure proper things are done in the judiciary. “Our state is at the cross road now, you must right the wrongs,” he said. Earlier, the Speaker, Alhaji Abdulmumeen Kamba, explained that the House, not the governor has the power to confirm the appointment of a chief judge. “The purported letter mentioned in the story on social media said to be from the House addressed to the governor was never written by any member,” he said. Kamba also condemned the story in its entirety, adding there was no truth in the allegation of religious bias in the case. “It is worthy to note that the former Chief Judge of the state before Karatu was of Christian faith.

”Kebbi state is a multi-ethnic and multi-religious state and every faith or ethnicity is treated equally,” the speaker said. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Ambursa is the most senior among the judges in the state higher court.

Read more: https://www.legit.ng/1243530-embattled-acting-chief-judge-kebbi-sacked-by-governor-bagudu.html
Re: Embattled Acting Chief Judge Of Kebbi Sacked By Governor Bagudu by press9jatv: 7:03pm On Jun 14, 2019
this is very bad for our hard earned democracy. I just want to remind him that karma will surely back fire. this is unfair to the judiciary. why's executive fighting the judicial arm of government in this manner. this is not fair at all. this cheating.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Embattled Acting Chief Judge Of Kebbi Sacked By Governor Bagudu by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jun 14, 2019
so religion is their problem and not competence. they still have a long way to go
Re: Embattled Acting Chief Judge Of Kebbi Sacked By Governor Bagudu by Babzrockman: 7:19pm On Jun 14, 2019
The religious wasnt the barrier in her first tenure.

Nigeria is a joke. Guys above me were quick to believe and support her. Nobody cares to know if she truly altered her date of birth...

Nigeria n religion matter ehn!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Embattled Acting Chief Judge Of Kebbi Sacked By Governor Bagudu by aolawale025: 7:20pm On Jun 14, 2019
Nigeria is just a geographical expression..... Very correct statement to make
Re: Embattled Acting Chief Judge Of Kebbi Sacked By Governor Bagudu by NonsoWow: 7:25pm On Jun 14, 2019
It is unfair to her. The NJC should wade in and rectify it.
Re: Embattled Acting Chief Judge Of Kebbi Sacked By Governor Bagudu by rusher14: 7:33pm On Jun 14, 2019
Babzrockman:
The religious wasnt the barrier in her first tenure.

Nigeria is a joke. Guys above me were quick to believe and support her. Nobody cares to know if she truly altered her date of birth...

Nigeria n religion matter ehn!

Nigerians don't think anymore.

Religion is their mumu button.
Re: Embattled Acting Chief Judge Of Kebbi Sacked By Governor Bagudu by Jmk9292(m): 8:03pm On Jun 14, 2019
It's alright.
Re: Embattled Acting Chief Judge Of Kebbi Sacked By Governor Bagudu by onez: 8:15pm On Jun 14, 2019
A governor will just wake up and sack the state Chief judge which happens to be his equal. The bad seed sown by Buhari is beginning to manifest. Yesterday it was Onnoghen, today it was karatu. it could be anyone tomorrow.

2 Likes

Re: Embattled Acting Chief Judge Of Kebbi Sacked By Governor Bagudu by hisexcellency34: 8:16pm On Jun 14, 2019
One Nigeria
Re: Embattled Acting Chief Judge Of Kebbi Sacked By Governor Bagudu by myddmodnabastard: 8:16pm On Jun 14, 2019
ffk,CAN and people from the yeast go cry tire today kebbi state can do whatever they like it's their business their problem so happy crying in advance to those who will cry on this

1 Like

Re: Embattled Acting Chief Judge Of Kebbi Sacked By Governor Bagudu by Amuocha: 9:14pm On Jun 14, 2019
Religious sentiments
Re: Embattled Acting Chief Judge Of Kebbi Sacked By Governor Bagudu by samstradam: 10:14pm On Jun 14, 2019
onez:
A governor will just wake up and sack the state Chief judge which happens to be his equal. The bad seed sown by Buhari is beginning to manifest. Yesterday it was Onnoghen, today it was karatu. it could be anyone tomorrow.

In what government textbook did you read that an unelected judge is equal to a validly elected governor? Where in this writeup does it say the governor woke up one day and sacked the chief judge?

Everybody else on this thread was able to rightly criticise what is going on in Kebbi without inventing fairytales to butress their point- are you not intelligent enough to do the same?

I don't like what seems to be going on in Kebbi but this is why people who want to be judges must always live above board. As for the people in Kebbi, if they honestly believe no christian can give them justice then they are welcome to their backwardness and bigotry. One thing for sure is this will always be remembered by true Nigerians if the judge's side of the story is proven correct. What a repulsive thing to hear in the 21st century!!

1 Like

Re: Embattled Acting Chief Judge Of Kebbi Sacked By Governor Bagudu by samstradam: 11:00pm On Jun 14, 2019
https://www.thecable.ng/kebbi-acting-chief-judge-bagudu-failed-to-confirm-me-for-being-christian/amp

Elizabeth Karatu, acting chief judge of Kebbi state, has accused Atiku Bagudu, the governor, of refusing to confirm her as substantive judge because of her religious affiliation.

According to Daily Nigerian, Karatu petitioned the National Judicial Council (NJC) over the issue.

Karatu was appointed by Bagudu on October 30, 2017, following the retirement of Bala Mairiga.

He recommended her to the state house of assembly as a replacement for Mairiga but the lawmakers were said to have refused to confirm her appointment over alleged falsification of her primary school certificate.

“This Honorable House will not clear any nominee who comes before it with altered credentials. It is now left for the government to decide on who to send as a nominee to the House,” Abdulmumin Kamba, speaker of the house, had said.

On November 14, 2018, Bagudu resubmitted Karatu’s name to the house for confirmation.

Karatu was reportedly confirmed on January 17, 2019, but the governor refused to act on the assembly’s confirmation.

Karatu is due to retire on July 5 from active service.

“After the retirement of Justice Ibrahim Bala, I was sworn in as Acting Chief Judge being the most Senior Judge. However, before my confirmation, Justice Ambursa engaged in trading with the Governor and the Speaker of the House of Assembly and indeed to the public that I was sponsored by the Christians Association of Nigeria to serve the Christendom,” the petition read.

“He spent a lot of money in forestalling my confirmation at the House, and eventually the house rejected me on the ground of alteration on my certificate which I believed must have been cooked by Justice Ambursa.

“I have been working for 35 years up to the rank of Permanent Secretary and later became a Judge but Justice Ambursa has never complained about my religion, in fact most of his victims are Muslims rather than Christians. I therefore believe that he is just using religion for his person gain. I was a Muslim before and all my Children are still devoted Muslims. I know what Islam is all about; it is religion of peace, fairness and Justice.”

She also reportedly said Mohammed Ambursa, the judge appointed to replace her, played a plot in frustrating her confirmation.

She accused Ramatu Gulma, the state attorney general and “an ally to Justice Ambursa”, of sabotaging the committee of reconciliation set up by the NJC in May to prevail on the governor to confirm her.

According to her, Gulma purportedly painted her as an enemy of the government “because I ordered the detention of family members of the Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo who were suspected to have committed the offence Fraud of Millions of Naira before Chief Magistrate Court in Birnin Kebbi”.

Daily Nigerian quoted Babale Yauri, secretary to the state government, as saying Bagudu refused to confirm Karatu because of “some discrepancies in her credentials” and not her religion.

Yauri added that the letter purportedly sent to the governor by the state assembly is fake as it was not duly signed
Re: Embattled Acting Chief Judge Of Kebbi Sacked By Governor Bagudu by cr7lomo: 12:43am On Jun 15, 2019
APC was , is and will never be the way forward

(1) (Reply)

Just In!!! South Africa Set Nigeria Embassy Ablaze, [ Watch Below] / Xenophobic Update:i Am A South African And This Is My Confession / FOREIGN14 Things Nigerians Do Every Day That Are Illegal In North Korea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.