Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:54 PM

Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria (12564 Views)

COVID-19: Jack Ma's Donation Moved From Lagos To Abuja By The Air Force / Jack Ma's Donation To Fight COVID-19 Arrives Nigeria / World Blood Donor Day: 5 Benefits Of Blood Donation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by Lovelyn451(f): 8:30am On Jun 18, 2019
babyfaceafrica:
why 5k?...didn't they screen my blood?..why me I no pay 5k?.did they pay me that donate blood?...screening should be free
u don't have to pay, its the patient that pays, i think the 5k is for the numerous tests they did for the donor before collecting their blood...if we were to pay for all the blood my brother gulped after surgery, I don't think we would be able to afford it....
Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by luminouz(m): 8:38am On Jun 18, 2019
Donating my alien blood containing the X-gene

Lailai.... undecided

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by luminouz(m): 8:39am On Jun 18, 2019
Lovelyn451:
u don't have to pay, its the patient that pays, i think the 5k is for the numerous tests they did for the donor before collecting their blood...if we were to pay for all the blood my brother gulped after surgery, I don't think we would be able to afford it....
Kano geh
Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by sinaj(f): 8:43am On Jun 18, 2019
OlujobaSamuel:

No, the +rhesus don't need it even if the husband is -rhesus.
really?
Thank you
Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by PotatoSalad(m): 8:48am On Jun 18, 2019
Lovelyn451:
maybe he went to a private hospital, well at Aminu Kano Teaching hospital, my bro had 5pams of blood after surgery and we paid 25k, infact the doctor made it clear to us that we're only paying for screening and not for the blood and that's 5k for each
So Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching hospital is now a private hospital?
Smh

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by Nobody: 8:49am On Jun 18, 2019
The same blood you donate for free is what the hospitals would sell to patients for N20,000.

Criminals everywhere

udomoh:
In marking of the world Blood Donor Day, the Institute of Human Virology of Nigeria (IHVN) sheds light on the benefits of blood donation.

The Virology Institute says regular blood donation improves body fitness, lowers calories and helps produce and maintain required level of iron in human body.

Mr. Abdullahi Abubakar, the Blood Safety Programme Manager, IHVN disclosed this at a blood donation drive in Abuja on Friday.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the event was to mark World Blood Donor Day, with theme: “Blood Donation and Universal Access to Safe Blood Donation: Safe Blood for All.”

Abubakar explained that donating one pint of blood (450 ml) could remove 650 calories from the donor’s body.

He reminded that transfusion of blood helps save millions of lives every year and could put natural smile on the faces of blood receivers.

According to him, blood donation can help patients suffering from life-threatening health conditions live longer with higher quality of life.

He also said that blood donation had an essential life-saving role in maternal and child care, and during emergency response to man-made and natural disasters.

He added that blood donation could also enhance the production of new blood cells, adding that “When blood is withdrawn, the donor’s body immediately begins to replenish the lost blood within 24 hours of donation.

“All of the red blood cells the donor loses during donation are completely replaced within one month to two months.”

He explained that the best way to ensure safe blood supply was through regular donation by voluntary and unpaid blood donors. Donate blood for free and not for sale.

Also, Mrs Oluyemi Ehigie of the National Blood Transfusion Service, Abuja said that it was important to donate blood voluntarily to National Blood Transfusion Service (NBTS), saying blood in storage is often in short supply.

Ehigie said that only about four people out of 1000 in low-income countries donate blood, therefore calling for the need to meet the national supply.

Christopher Erhabo, an official of IHVN, stressed on the benefits of blood donation and assured that there was no pain in donating blood.

”I have been donating blood for three years now and I don’t regret it and I am glad my blood has been saving lives,” he said.

A physician, Dr Tongdiyen Jasper called on Nigerians to use this opportunity to donate blood as no one knew whose life the blood would save.

Jasper said that he had peace each time he donated blood, adding that blood was sacred and priceless.

”I will do this over and over because the purpose is to help someone who is dying,” she said.

https://nimedhealth.com.ng/2019/06/14/benefits-of-blood-donation-virology-institute/?amp/url]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by Handsomebb: 9:05am On Jun 18, 2019
Sellfish:
National Blood transfusion service is a scam

When I was studying in OAU, I donated blood thrice and was issued a blood donor card after the second donation which they said entitled me and two other family members to free 4 pints of blood in any government hospital nationwide

While studying at the Nigerian Law School, I donated blood once and thus had 3 donation details in my card

Fast forward to 2017, My kid sister needed Two pints of blood in one government hospital in the South...and i could not donate to her because we had incompatible blood groups.

Despite me showing them my blood Donor card, they insisted I pay the full 25k per pint of blood...They said they could not contact NBTS to confirm my donor status

So after collecting 3 pints of blood from me for free save for the swan water, malt and peak milk they gave me to drink b4 donation, they found a way to cheat me when i needed to reap the benefit of my donation undecided

I have now sworn not to donate my blood to any government establishment in Nigeria...

That's Nigerian government for you. That's why I collect money whenever I go to donate blood. Na Dem go talk say donate for free and when u do they will end up selling it to people in need. What a country.

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by jeff1607(m): 9:09am On Jun 18, 2019
Sellfish:

When I was studying in OAU, I donated blood thrice and was issued a blood donor card after the second donation which they said entitled me and two other family members to free 4 pints of blood in any government hospital nationwide

While studying at the Nigerian Law School, I donated blood once and thus had 3 donation details in my card

Fast forward to 2017, My kid sister needed Two pints of blood in one government hospital in the South...and i could not donate to her because we had incompatible blood groups.

Despite me showing them my blood Donor card, they insisted I pay the full 25k per pint of blood...They said they could not contact NBTS to confirm my donor status

So after collecting 3 pints of blood from me for free save for the swan water, malt and peak milk they gave me to drink b4 donation, they found a way to cheat me when i needed to reap the benefit of my donation undecided

I have now sworn not to donate my blood to any government establishment in Nigeria...

I can relate
Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by gambudu: 9:26am On Jun 18, 2019
dingbang:
I hope they don't sell donated blood? angry
they will definitely encourage u to donate for free and in turn sell to patients who need it. Thats my issue with them undecided

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by Jasen1(m): 9:29am On Jun 18, 2019
harley88:

Go to any Govt general hospital....... Be warned, the needle is quite large

Explain more sir
Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by Handsomebb: 9:30am On Jun 18, 2019
harley88:

Go to any Govt general hospital....... Be warned, the needle is quite large
Yeah scary as hell.
Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by Gabriel004: 10:02am On Jun 18, 2019
sinaj:
hmm
Always go for pvc test sha before your good intent turn to your downfall
Sure I always do?
Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by anthonyuncle(m): 10:28am On Jun 18, 2019
Thomthom:
Sure I will not embrace it.. why should I give my blood for free and patients pay for the same blood I gave for free.. it should be free for free

everyone is against them selling it(especially at a high cost),
but that can only be resolved if more people donate their blood voluntarily
Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by iamso9ce(m): 10:45am On Jun 18, 2019
where can i donate mine also,..............
Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by 77up(m): 10:50am On Jun 18, 2019
The first time I donated blood was the day I experience unconsciousness, grin just like sleeping, woke up within 1minute after donation , took milk with malt.

Its indeed good to be a donor.

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by gambudu: 11:38am On Jun 18, 2019
If u register ur wife for artenal in ISOLO GENERAL HOSPITAL, u will be asked to donate blood for her should incase she needs it during delivery if not she won't be allowed to complete her registration until the husband donates, also 7k will be required from you for blood screening.
The only way people can be encouraged to donate is when the hospitals stops selling blood
Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by harley88(m): 11:52am On Jun 18, 2019
Jasen1:

Explain more sir

I donated blood April 30th at Ifako Ijaiye Gen Hospital. All I did was to ask where the blood donation centre is in the hospital premises. My sample was taken, blood was tested, waited for about an hour then proceeded to the room to donate blood.
The needle used is far fatter than the normal needle.About the size of Copper in our electrical wires. It's kinda painful when it's being inserted into your veins but that's all. The whole blood withdrawal just takes about 5/10mins. Do not have sex a day after blood donation. Take malt and tin peak milk. You might feel a bit weak after the donation, but it's normal.

I hope this is detailed enough.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by harley88(m): 11:54am On Jun 18, 2019
gambudu:
If u register ur wife for artenal in ISOLO GENERAL HOSPITAL, u will be asked to donate blood for her should incase she needs it during delivery if not she won't be allowed to complete her registration until the husband donates, also 7k will be required from you for blood screening.
The only way people can be encouraged to donate is when the hospitals stops selling blood

Hospitals don't sell blood..... The 5/6/7k always paid is for blood screening to know if the blood is compatible with the recipient. You are to always return the pint given to you so others would have blood to use.
Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by harley88(m): 11:55am On Jun 18, 2019
iamso9ce:
where can i donate mine also,..............

Any General hospital in your state

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by hinere(m): 12:46pm On Jun 18, 2019
The universe is really pulling me to this blood donation. I have never donated before. Just yesterday night, I was suddenly disturbed in my heart to go to any general Hospital to donate blood. I decided to go today to make enquires because I know nothing about the process but the rain prevented me. Now I'm seeing this on nairaland. Thanks for your contributions everyone.

I think I've gotten the info I need but this one that I will now donate selflessly and the hospital will now turn it to business is what I don't like. This country!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by amiibaby(f): 1:33pm On Jun 18, 2019
mathew247:
I need an AA woman to marry,I'm from enugu, 29yrs,Christian. AS and O+ is my blood type. I reside in Onitsha, anambra state.
She should be from age 25 to 33 and have something doing. I'm a B.Sc holder and a business man.
Chat me up on WhatsApp070+
31999879. Please be a beautiful girl abeg.
NB: I'm not ready to send airtime or transport money oo. And I want you to get sense too.
with this ur bold face who go marry u
Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by viralinfo: 2:49pm On Jun 18, 2019
Na waooooooo....you donate freely but thier is no blood bank that give blood to those who need it for free...God Help Us
Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by paix(m): 2:54pm On Jun 18, 2019
Katier00:
I am glad to be a blood donor, always saving life with O- blood
You're my BLOOD sister. O- is it.
Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by Jasen1(m): 3:02pm On Jun 18, 2019
harley88:

I donated blood April 30th at Ifako Ijaiye Gen Hospital. All I did was to ask where the blood donation centre is in the hospital premises. My sample was taken, blood was tested, waited for about an hour then proceeded to the room to donate blood.
The needle used is far fatter than the normal needle.About the size of Copper in our electrical wires. It's kinda painful when it's being inserted into your veins but that's all. The whole blood withdrawal just takes about 5/10mins. Do not have sex a day after blood donation. Take malt and tin peak milk. You might feel a bit weak after the donation, but it's normal.

I hope this is detailed enough.

Thanks
Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by Katier00(f): 3:18pm On Jun 18, 2019
paix:
You're my BLOOD sister. O- is it.
wow beautiful. Hope you do donate blood occasionally. We are priceless
Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by Rucheen(m): 8:49pm On Jun 18, 2019
My sister had CS and I donated 1.5 pints,UNTH cunningly took my number and before you knew it they've collected my precious blood 5 times,luckly it was the sixth time just before I was defrauded that a good Samaritan saved me

Even to this day that's still the highest scam I've suffered
Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by paix(m): 9:59pm On Jun 18, 2019
Katier00:
wow beautiful. Hope you do donate blood occasionally. We are priceless
yes I did, but it's been quite a while.
Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by mathew247: 6:39am On Jun 19, 2019
amiibaby:
with this ur bold face who go marry u
You
Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by hodusglobal(m): 8:53pm On Jun 20, 2019
Sellfish:

I'm sorry for not reading your post on time. You were suppose to go to the NBTS headquarters in your state with your donor membership card... Not the government hospital you went to.
Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by budaatum: 9:05pm On Jun 20, 2019
Did we make it to fp yet?

udomoh:
In marking of the world Blood Donor Day, the Institute of Human Virology of Nigeria (IHVN) sheds light on the benefits of blood donation.

The Virology Institute says regular blood donation improves body fitness, lowers calories and helps produce and maintain required level of iron in human body.

Mr. Abdullahi Abubakar, the Blood Safety Programme Manager, IHVN disclosed this at a blood donation drive in Abuja on Friday.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the event was to mark World Blood Donor Day, with theme: “Blood Donation and Universal Access to Safe Blood Donation: Safe Blood for All.”

Abubakar explained that donating one pint of blood (450 ml) could remove 650 calories from the donor’s body.

He reminded that transfusion of blood helps save millions of lives every year and could put natural smile on the faces of blood receivers.

According to him, blood donation can help patients suffering from life-threatening health conditions live longer with higher quality of life.

He also said that blood donation had an essential life-saving role in maternal and child care, and during emergency response to man-made and natural disasters.

He added that blood donation could also enhance the production of new blood cells, adding that “When blood is withdrawn, the donor’s body immediately begins to replenish the lost blood within 24 hours of donation.

“All of the red blood cells the donor loses during donation are completely replaced within one month to two months.”

He explained that the best way to ensure safe blood supply was through regular donation by voluntary and unpaid blood donors. Donate blood for free and not for sale.

Also, Mrs Oluyemi Ehigie of the National Blood Transfusion Service, Abuja said that it was important to donate blood voluntarily to National Blood Transfusion Service (NBTS), saying blood in storage is often in short supply.

Ehigie said that only about four people out of 1000 in low-income countries donate blood, therefore calling for the need to meet the national supply.

Christopher Erhabo, an official of IHVN, stressed on the benefits of blood donation and assured that there was no pain in donating blood.

”I have been donating blood for three years now and I don’t regret it and I am glad my blood has been saving lives,” he said.

A physician, Dr Tongdiyen Jasper called on Nigerians to use this opportunity to donate blood as no one knew whose life the blood would save.

Jasper said that he had peace each time he donated blood, adding that blood was sacred and priceless.

”I will do this over and over because the purpose is to help someone who is dying,” she said.

https://nimedhealth.com.ng/2019/06/14/benefits-of-blood-donation-virology-institute/?amp/url]
Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by PublicHealthNig: 3:05pm On Sep 01, 2019

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benefits Of Blood Donation- Virology Institute Of Nigeria by dotedote: 2:59pm On Sep 11, 2019
dingbang:
ok .. Why is that so?

Freely they get it but freely they can't give it.
That's Us.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bitter Kola As Cure For The Deadly Ebola Virus? / Constant Spitting At Early Stage Of Pregnancy / Charles Aniagwua And Chiedu Ebie Test Positive To COVID-19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.