Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,353 members, 7,819,254 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:23 PM

Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC - Phones (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC (23706 Views)

No Link Between 5G, COVID-19, Says NCC / 3 Reasons Why Nigeria Isn’t Ready For 5G Technology In 2019 / NCC Approves Spectrum For 5G Trial In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jun 16, 2019
See as I even dey struggle with Airtel H+ and una dey talk about 5G
Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by Maket: 4:58pm On Jun 16, 2019
Ha, we never use to the 4G finish oh
Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by Igweann979(f): 5:00pm On Jun 16, 2019
princemillla:
Someone somewhere in NCC Needs some factory reset slaps

Just small rain in my hood Mtn has been fluctuating like about to die I pass my neighbor
Anyway, what do I know... check below for 9ja internet freq

World - - - - - Nigeria

2G - - - - - - GPRS

3G - - - - - - - 2G

4G - - - - - - - Edge/3G

5G - - - - - - - - 3G /H+

4G no even Dey Nija list cuz am yet to enjoy the 4G speed anywhere.

Spit cheesy
that's true
Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by ibietela2(m): 5:01pm On Jun 16, 2019
Angelfrost:

Oil dey your head bro... this country is so behind in technology, it is beyond shameful... Even the 4G is only in mega cities (Not even all parts of the said cities)... Now, they are pushing around another fantasy called 5G. undecided

4G that is slow like 2G?
Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by mrfoxx(m): 5:07pm On Jun 16, 2019
� 5G nibo
Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jun 16, 2019
donziggyman:
Oga go meet buhari you and your brothers vote for.

I can't waste my dime on aboki when I have little lovey brothers and sisters in orphanage home and suppose to encourage others to visit around the country. Shift biko you know what to do. Meet all this northern elites and polithiefians to assist you. Person no go read on NL in peace without stumbling on one mess or the other.

First of all.. Am a Muslim not Hausa.
Second, am a Muslim and I don't vote or concern myself with politics
Lastly, you need not vent your frustration on me.. This is a matter of kindness .. It's not by force.. If you help, fine.. And if you don't.. Fine

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by wellmax(m): 5:15pm On Jun 16, 2019
michlins:
You guys might not believe it but Nigeria has a faster mobile data than some part of USA. Fact is that most of them Yankee people use Wi-Fi but 80-90% here are on mobile. I get close to 2MB/sec on Glo which is equivalent to 16mb/sec on H+

Now check the speed and we are on par and even better than many countries. But as usual, we don't expect anything good to come out of Nigeria and are quick to rubbish whatever thing we have

Thank you. God bless you.
Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by persius555(m): 5:15pm On Jun 16, 2019
ORIJIN201:
Lots of ignorant people here. I decided to ignore them because their brain is wired to condemn anything good about Nigeria. The problem is 80% of internet users in Nigeria don't use broadband which has had 4g in Nigeria long before carriers brought it to their networks. Broadband is cheaper and better compared to mobile data anywhere around the world. In fact, mobile data is very cheap in Nigeria compared to other developed nations because nobody uses it over there compared to us.

5G is a good development, but who really needs it now? We have more pressing issues.

You shouldn't blame nigerians for totally condemning the 4G browsing experience they are getting from the telcos. 4G has a metric requirement of been broadband( which explains why the 2.6 GHZ spectrum was auctioned by NCC to carriers at huge price) and IP based architecture. The telcos have invested in purchasing license but have refused to invest seriously in the deployment on a nation wide scale (this in itself is the scam).

If you would have to travel to some posh area of your city in order to fully enjoy the 4G experience on a regular basis, then what we have is a fixed broadband rather than a mobile broadband (4G).
As for america, the country is too big and would require billions of dollars of investment to deploy on a nation scale, which explains why WiFi deployment is still a profitable investment and of course the availability of already existing fiber infrastructures to support deployment by smaller ISPs.

Europe,(specifically Netherlands, Norway and Germany) and Asia (South Korea, China, Japan) enjoy the lead when it comes to 4G Mobile coverage on a global scale.

As for Nigeria, NCC should raise the stakes and see to it that 4G is fully implemented on our spectrum. It is grossly under-utilized. A large number of Nigerians go about with 4G capable phones but browse at 3G speed. This is not good enough

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by dododawa1: 5:29pm On Jun 16, 2019
G milking data
Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by Angelfrost(m): 5:29pm On Jun 16, 2019
ibietela2:

4G that is slow like 2G?

I dey tell you... Ridiculously slow.
Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by OBIPLUS(m): 5:33pm On Jun 16, 2019
Please we should wake up to reality. Ncc should make internet acess free in public places through government investment and support. The high charges should be reduced and government should invest in the sector to ensure high speed and low cost internet access.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by lereinter(m): 5:39pm On Jun 16, 2019
When U call yourself what you aren't, how will you see help...
Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by matrixme(m): 5:50pm On Jun 16, 2019
I'm only curious as to how airtel will advertise the 5g technology. Perhaps they will feature a robot doing house chores 100 times faster than how mama rainbow and her smiteful rival in law ever hope to do it.
Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by Abdelux223: 6:15pm On Jun 16, 2019
Flashh:
With same H+ speed rate.

No difference between 4g and 3g, for browsing in Nigeria. The only difference, your phone just get hotter.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by ocelot2006(m): 6:17pm On Jun 16, 2019
princemillla:

Just small rain in my hood Mtn has been fluctuating like about to die I pass my neighbor

World - - - - - Nigeria

2G - - - - - - GPRS

3G - - - - - - - 2G

4G - - - - - - - Edge/3G

Spit cheesy

GPRS is 2.5G. When the world had 2G, Nigeria was still struggling with NITEL land line (PSTN). At 3G/UMTS (world), Nigeria was struggling with 2G, then GPRS (2.5G), and later EDGE (3.75G).
Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by Charleshafo(m): 7:09pm On Jun 16, 2019
Nigeria need to be careful about this issue. Confidentially of Government information is very essential to National security. USA did not agree on it.
Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by PATAlolade(m): 7:14pm On Jun 16, 2019
IamMusti:
Get 80gig airtel data cheat.... Hot! And New! Click the link... https://www.nairaland.com/5247960/how-get-80gig-data-airtel

Pls, the code.
Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by Horus(m): 7:17pm On Jun 16, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OHzDAwMS1w

Deployment of 5G network in Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by AyencoH2O(m): 7:20pm On Jun 16, 2019
princemillla:

World - - - - - Nigeria

2G - - - - - - GPRS

3G - - - - - - - 2G

4G - - - - - - - Edge/3G

Spit cheesy
Port to Airtel and enjoy the superfast 4G network like never before.
Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by kennyhai(m): 7:33pm On Jun 16, 2019
Ahhh! What's dis? him ever see 4g before na 5g him dey talk about? see this pple o!
Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by dochenaj: 7:55pm On Jun 16, 2019
michlins:
You guys might not believe it but Nigeria has a faster mobile data than some part of USA. Fact is that most of them Yankee people use Wi-Fi but 80-90% here are on mobile. I get close to 2MB/sec on Glo which is equivalent to 16mb/sec on H+

Now check the speed and we are on par and even better than many countries. But as usual, we don't expect anything good to come out of Nigeria and are quick to rubbish whatever thing we have
I get what you're trying to say, but that you got 2MB/sec on Glo network in a specific location is not something to be proud about. Glo takes a minute to open up a webpage over here. They need to have a uniform network all over the country.

I will say the speed is becoming better, at least now we occasionally see bursts in speed up to 2MB/s but at the end of the day, video streaming still gets interrupted even at that speed because it is not a uniform speed. 3G speeds should at least be up to 3MB/s as minimum average but that's not so.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by dochenaj: 7:59pm On Jun 16, 2019
OBIPLUS:
Please we should wake up to reality. Ncc should make internet acess free in public places through government investment and support. The high charges should be reduced and government should invest in the sector to ensure high speed and low cost internet access.
NCC is not interested in making internet more accessible to the people, only collecting license fees and fines up and down.

No checkmating of these greedy telecoms. I wish there was better judicial system in the country. All these telecoms would have had class action suits against them one after the other.
Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jun 16, 2019
linearity:

You are disingenuous with your comment and comparison.

I don’t know the part of USA that you are referring to, can you be more specific on the names of those US cities, communities or county?

Yes, because of greater population density in the US in metro areas compare to Nigeria, their are more technologies deployed to offload the macro network e.g. femtocell, WI-FI, metrocell, etc; but to say Nigeria situation is better is not true, unless you are comparing isolated remote uninhabitable areas in the USA....I also hope, when you do your comparison, you also use similar areas in Nigeria, e.g. isolated remote uninhabitable areas in Nigeria as well.

I certainly agree that the comment was disingenuous and comparison was blank, however The US have always lagged behind much of the developed world in mobile internet speeds and in last year's report it was not placed in the first 40 countries.

I am not very impressed by mobile providers in some US cities. It's not uncommon to loose cellular networks while in subways or some high rise buildings. After experiencing failed services at critical times, I had to subscribe for Onstar services. 5G deployment is still lagging while South Korea have surpassed 1M subscribers which is some 2% of the population.

With the infrastructure challenges that Nigeria is facing and almost completely dependent on mobile internet services...it's safe to say they have an impressive service.
Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by michlins(m): 8:32pm On Jun 16, 2019
dochenaj:

I get what you're trying to say, but that you got 2MB/sec on Glo network in a specific location is not something to be proud about. Glo takes a minute to open up a webpage over here. They need to have a uniform network all over the country.

I will say the speed is becoming better, at least now we occasionally see bursts in speed up to 2MB/s but at the end of the day, video streaming still gets interrupted even at that speed because it is not a uniform speed. 3G speeds should at least be up to 3MB/s as minimum average but that's not so.
you talking about an ideal world. Such speeds is only obtainable in Singapore and South Korea and other handful nations. Remember bro, 80% of Nigerians use mobile network thereby putting heavy weight on the available infrastructure. About Glo network reception being bad in your area, mtn is so bad that I can only make calls with it.
Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by ORIJIN201(m): 8:57pm On Jun 16, 2019
persius555:

You shouldn't blame nigerians for totally condemning the 4G browsing experience they are getting from the telcos. 4G has a metric requirement of been broadband( which explains why the 2.6 GHZ spectrum was auctioned by NCC to carriers at huge price) and IP based architecture. The telcos have invested in purchasing license but have refused to invest seriously in the deployment on a nation wide scale (this in itself is the scam).

If you would have to travel to some posh area of your city in order to fully enjoy the 4G experience on a regular basis, then what we have is a fixed broadband rather than a mobile broadband (4G).
As for america, the country is too big and would require billions of dollars of investment to deploy on a nation scale, which explains why WiFi deployment is still a profitable investment and of course the availability of already existing fiber infrastructures to support deployment by smaller ISPs.

Europe,(specifically Netherlands, Norway and Germany) and Asia (South Korea, China, Japan) enjoy the lead when it comes to 4G Mobile coverage on a global scale.

As for Nigeria, NCC should raise the stakes and see to it that 4G is fully implemented on our spectrum. It is grossly under-utilized. A large number of Nigerians go about with 4G capable phones but browse at 3G speed. This is not good enough
in those rural areas, how many people needs 4G? How many use the internet? Even broadbands are located in specific states where the populace have the financial power in large scale. There are more poor people than people who can afford the internet (the last election exposed even the blind to this fact). One economic sentence explains why the telcos did not roll 4G nationwide: you don't supply to where there is no demand. Simple as that.
Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by ORIJIN201(m): 9:01pm On Jun 16, 2019
OBIPLUS:
Even in Freetown, nothing is free. grin

Nigerians just want everything free grin grin
Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by linearity: 9:14pm On Jun 16, 2019
simonjo:

I certainly agree that the comment was disingenuous and comparison was blank, however The US have always lagged behind much of the developed world in mobile internet speeds and in last year's report it was not placed in the first 40 countries.

I am not very impressed by mobile providers in some US cities. It's not uncommon to loose cellular networks while in subways or some high rise buildings. After experiencing failed services at critical times, I had to subscribe for Onstar services. 5G deployment is still lagging while South Korea have surpassed 1M subscribers which is some 2% of the population.

With the infrastructure challenges that Nigeria is facing and almost completely dependent on mobile internet services...it's safe to say they have an impressive service.

I agree completely by this assessment.

But you should understand that, despite the fact that in the US these new technologies e.g. 5G and future next generation technologies are not accessible by the general public; it does not equate to ‘US lagging behind’.

These technologies were incubated, tested and formulated by major US players and in most part in the US before they are released to be deployed in other part of the world.

AT&T one of the major Telecommunication companies in the US is the major player in 3gpp and if you look up 3gpp membership roster, you will be surprised at the number of US players. 3gpp is the international body that come up with the design and formulation of all next generation telecommunication technologies including 5G and many US companies involved in defunding what the 5G standards are today, have tested 5G in the US before they were released.

We have many 5G deployments and tests going on today in the US, which is driving IoT, VR, AR, AI, etc, it is just that most of these innovations on 5G are not open to the general public.

Unlike some part of US and major Asia countries; the US government does not fund mobile rollouts; infact the telecom companies have to purchase frequencies from the government and these are profit making companies in a capitalist countries. AT&T shareholders does care about the next fastest technologies out there, they want to see their share prices and investments go up, as a result it is the consumers in the US that drive these deployments.

If consumption grows to the level where users are willing on average to pay higher prices for 5G, the technology will be rapidly made available to them in the US.

Cell coverage have started showing up on many subway stations. When the subway was built in the 1900s there was no anticipation for our current mobile reality and these subways are very deep in the ground.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by persius555(m): 9:28pm On Jun 16, 2019
ORIJIN201:
in those rural areas, how many people needs 4G? How many use the internet? Even broadbands are located in specific states where the populace have the financial power in large scale. There are more poor people than people who can afford the internet (the last election exposed even the blind to this fact). One economic sentence explains why the telcos did not roll 4G nationwide: you don't supply to where there is no demand. Simple as that.

You would be amazed how underserved lagos, with its relatively better earning power is, when you scale with other west african cities. There is a need in major cities in nigeria but telcos would rather not invest ( i agree that, sometimes the regulatory but isnt doing enough).

A for the bolded, there is a need for broadband penetration in order to help lift people out of poverty, the excuse that rural ares cannot afford them is a worse form of discrimination. Wwatch how they would rush for 5G when 4G is currently poorly deployed.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by Realboygenius(m): 9:42pm On Jun 16, 2019
We are not ready
Do you know much Man spend to use 4G Lte on Spark 3 Pro. Though it's fast but it's expensive.
Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by bentwood85(m): 10:21pm On Jun 16, 2019
michlins:

speak for yourself bro...
Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jun 16, 2019
abdulkayus:

U made this comment cos the guy that appeal for help is a Muslim. Ur intolerant, hatred and bigotry has so damage u that u can't be sober to people's plight. If u can't help, then keep shut, and pray to have a good samaritan who will help you in future if u should need the help without regards to your faith or tribe.
Aboki shift. E no de pain when una do but one simple truth una go begin shake like person wey de sick kwasioko... Excuse me plz. I have no biz with gworo chewing lords.
Re: Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC by Nobody: 10:37pm On Jun 16, 2019
abdulkayus:

U made this comment cos the guy that appeal for help is a Muslim. Ur intolerant, hatred and bigotry has so damage u that u can't be sober to people's plight. If u can't help, then keep shut, and pray to have a good samaritan who will help you in future if u should need the help without regards to your faith or tribe.
Shut up. I'm Keeping calm for one reason. I need surf NL very well this night and I don't want to be ban besides I don't have back up account at the moment if not I will answer you this. If then ban me I use backup account but make I just swallow am. Get out! So after una take charge of everything yet you want me to still give you money instead of thinking about those babies in motherless homes you want me to look your face abi Aboki are very very heartless. I remember back then when I'm in the street. I don't have where to sleep. If I go close aboki their side to keep cartoon for ground sleep them go chase me out I go de walker about for ph city now things don change. Donziggy de inside house de surf NL peacefully. No more streets wahala.

Guy shift I rather go to motherless babies home and empty my life savings for the baby their than give aboki carnter!!!!! If e pain you make una learn to love others the way una love una self.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

7 Signs Your Social Media Account Has Been Hacked / Chinese Phone Makers Force Samsung To Delay Release Of Galaxy Note 9 / Twitter Adds ‘Official’ Label To High-Profile Accounts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.