Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,101 members, 7,818,289 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:04 PM

Abuja Blast: You Have Failed, Lawmaker Tells Jonathan. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abuja Blast: You Have Failed, Lawmaker Tells Jonathan. (826 Views)

Buhari Visits Abuja Blast Victims In Hospital (photos) / Abuja Blast Scene During Investigation (Photos) / Stop Portraying Northerners As Betrayers, Ex-lawmaker Tells Tambuwal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abuja Blast: You Have Failed, Lawmaker Tells Jonathan. by Gbawe: 6:52am On Oct 04, 2010
http://www.leadershipeditors.com/ns/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16903:abuja-blast-you-have-failed-lawmaker-tells-jonathan-&catid=16:headline-news&Itemid=102

Abuja Blast: You Have Failed, Lawmaker Tells Jonathan .
Monday, 04 October 2010 02:46 Gonji Palang, Jos .

The Deputy Minority Leader of the House of Representatives, Hon Suleiman Abduraham Kawu, has said that the Federal Government should be held responsible for the bomb blast that took place in Abuja during the celebration of the 50th independence anniversary of the nation.

The lawmaker said President Goodluck Jonathan is not capable of leading Nigeria,as he has failed to provide adequate security for Nigerians. Kawu made this known yesterday in Jos, the Plateau State capital, at the National Education Appeal Fund 2010 of the Jama'atu Izalatil Bid'ah Wa Ikamatis Sunnah (JIBWIS) for the renovation of burnt schools, expansion of the School of Islamic Studies, completion of the Sunnah Hospital’s permanent site, construction of the Quaranic School, Jengre and the purchase of five vehicles.

According to him, the Federal Government was informed of the plan but they turned a deaf ear to the alert and went on with the programme without putting adequate security measures in place.

"The president is not the Inspector General of Police and neither is he the Director of the SSS, how can he ignore a security threat of that magnitude? After all Nigerians were informed of the bomb attack 30 minutes before it blew off and then to our surprise, he is trying to exonorate himself from blames. He has failed to address the problems of Nigeria”.

On the 2011 election, the Deputy Minority Leader called on Nigerians to join hands together to get rid of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). "They have misused the stolen mandate the got for the past 12 years. I urge Nigerians to come together so that we can get rid of them," he added.
Re: Abuja Blast: You Have Failed, Lawmaker Tells Jonathan. by Gbawe: 6:58am On Oct 04, 2010
And here is Ribadu saying the same thing albeit less directly.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5626445-146/ribadu_blames_bombing_on_security_failings.csp

Ribadu blames bombing on security failings
By Elor Nkereuwem

October 4, 2010 02:26AM

Security agencies in Nigeria, and ultimately, the federal government, must take the blame for the lives lost in the October 1 bombings in Abuja, Nuhu Ribadu, the presidential flag bearer of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), has said.

Mr. Ribadu said this at the National Hospital, Abuja, yesterday when he visited survivors of the attacks.

"The issue of security is a challenge; law enforcement must take the responsibility and we must do what is right. Government must protect its people, if you cannot protect your people, then there is no reason you should be in government," the former anti-graft chief said.

The hospital had returned to a state of normalcy after the commotion over the weekend, but the hospital beds in the First Aid Ward, where Mr. Ribadu visited with the bomb victims, was full of survivors with varying states of injury, most in severe pains.

Yakubu Issa, a sergeant with the Nigerian Police, who sustained multiple injuries to the head, shoulder and leg, was the first man to get Mr. Ribadu's attention. Mr. Issa's wife, who declined to give her name, told NEXT that her husband had been deployed to the bomb site after the first explosion to disperse the gathering crowd and to move the wounded to the hospital. Mr. Issa became a victim when the second round of explosives went off.

"He said he just felt something lift him up. He said he felt as though his head, leg and shoulder were being pulled off his body. Next thing, he found himself in the hospital," she said.

Mrs. Issa, who has five children and is currently pregnant, said she is grateful to God that her husband's injuries were not fatal.

Mourning the dead

The former chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes (EFCC), in a chat with journalist after his rounds at the hospital spoke passionately of a former EFCC operative, Tahir Zakari Biu, who lost his life during the bombings.

"I lost somebody; I lost a staff of the EFCC. One of the young Nigerians that we took time to train. An amazingly good chap. Got married not long ago, with one child. Very, very much ready to contribute and make Nigeria a better place. This chap, who was truly a Nigerian, was desperate to see that justice is done in our own country.

They have taken his life and that is a big minus for all of us," Mr. Ribadu said.

Mr. Ribadu further called on the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND), the militant group who have since claimed responsibility for setting off the bombs, to have a rethink on their method of fighting for justice.

"Though I can understand, I can perfectly see the reason why some people may disagree and want to show their own displeasure with the way things are, but taking innocent lives is not the answer. People have lost their lives, and they are also human beings. This is injustice; injustice to them, to their own families, and to Nigerians. Please let them rethink their own positions," he said.
Re: Abuja Blast: You Have Failed, Lawmaker Tells Jonathan. by Gbawe: 10:08am On Oct 04, 2010
By the way , does anyone know if Atiku, Gusau , IBB and other 'potential Presidents' have visited victims of the bombing since they all "care" passionately about the plights of Nigerians ?
Re: Abuja Blast: You Have Failed, Lawmaker Tells Jonathan. by Nobody: 10:28am On Oct 04, 2010
good to see politicians echoing what i have been shouting since the news of the 5 day advance warning came out

gej has failed nigerians

all this hypocritical go and get those terrorists

medicine after a death that was warned
Re: Abuja Blast: You Have Failed, Lawmaker Tells Jonathan. by Nobody: 10:30am On Oct 04, 2010
Gbawe:

By the way , does anyone know if Atiku, Gusau , IBB and other 'potential Presidents' have visited victims of the bombing since they all "care" passionately about the plights of Nigerians ?

I am very sure the have or they will. they might not make it  public
before lame people will start to say they are  taking advantage of the situation
to look good in the eye of the public.
Re: Abuja Blast: You Have Failed, Lawmaker Tells Jonathan. by Nobody: 10:39am On Oct 04, 2010
Gbawe:

http://www.leadershipeditors.com/ns/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16903:abuja-blast-you-have-failed-lawmaker-tells-jonathan-&catid=16:headline-news&Itemid=102

Jonathan is  daft and very incompetent.
i saw that in him since day one
5 days was more than enough for the federal government to get their acts together
and nip the evil in the bud. SHAME. ON GEJ
Re: Abuja Blast: You Have Failed, Lawmaker Tells Jonathan. by Nobody: 10:42am On Oct 04, 2010
The former chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes (EFCC), in a chat with journalist after his rounds at the hospital spoke passionately of a former EFCC operative, Tahir Zakari Biu, who lost his life during the bombings.

"I lost somebody; I lost a staff of the EFCC. One of the young Nigerians that we took time to train. An amazingly good chap. Got married not long ago, with one child. Very, very much ready to contribute and make Nigeria a better place. This chap, who was truly a Nigerian, was desperate to see that justice is done in our own country.

They have taken his life and that is a big minus for all of us," Mr. Ribadu said.

Mr. Ribadu further called on the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND), the militant group who have since claimed responsibility for setting off the bombs, to have a rethink on their method of fighting for justice.

"Though I can understand, I can perfectly see the reason why some people may disagree and want to show their own displeasure with the way things are, but taking innocent lives is not the answer. People have lost their lives, and they are also human beings. This is injustice; injustice to them, to their own families, and to Nigerians. Please let them rethink their own positions," he said.

this is the true face of leadership, putting a face to the victims - making it clear that they are more than just numbers and statistics
Re: Abuja Blast: You Have Failed, Lawmaker Tells Jonathan. by Gbawe: 11:36am On Oct 04, 2010
oyb:

this is the true face of leadership, putting a face to the victims - making it clear that they are more than just numbers and statistics

Indeed. This is what Ribadu will bring. Genuine goodwill and compassion for all Nigerians matched by the relentless energy , drive and courage to make a positive difference to the lives of Nigerians. For all his faults, we can all trust Ribadu to be a leader who will not play politics with serious issues. How can any President , serious about fighting the menace of crime, appoint an IGP who has to be promoted above many of his superiors who have greater competence and are more academically accomplished than Ringim at a time when Nigeria is gradually becoming a Gangster Paradise? Those are the type of dangerous actions , guided by callous political expediency , that will finish Nigeria.
Re: Abuja Blast: You Have Failed, Lawmaker Tells Jonathan. by Gbawe: 11:38am On Oct 04, 2010
ferari90:

I am very sure the have or they will. they might not make it public
before lame people will start to say they are taking advantage of the situation
to look good in the eye of the public.

You may be right . I forget that this is a very insecure Presidency that will join issues with even a Lizard if said reptile so much as look at a Jonathan poster with a frown !!!!
Re: Abuja Blast: You Have Failed, Lawmaker Tells Jonathan. by jamace(m): 12:37pm On Oct 04, 2010
We know the political camp of the lawmaker, so we are not surprised at his vomit, in the name of comment.

I had expected Ribadu to know better considering his background, but it is sad that he has turned the issue to a political campaign to rubbish opponent.

No matter what any one may say, GEJ has handled the security matter in a matured manner. I'm happy he went on with the celebration despite the warning. All the people shouting GEJ has failed here would have been singing a different song had GEJ put off the celebration, using it to score political point. But Thank God GEJ is on top of the situation and detractors will be put to shame soonest. It is only a matter of time.
Re: Abuja Blast: You Have Failed, Lawmaker Tells Jonathan. by Nobody: 12:49pm On Oct 04, 2010
mr man, they are holding commonwealth in india amidst heavy security

if your hero was competent , the celebrations would have been held amidst security and warning

people would have been warned and aware of the danger

emergency services would have been on standby

people would have been briefed on what to do

your comments on his actions are disgraceful and a approval of mediocrity

i heard on the news today that British authorities were also in copy of mends mail, and that was why most invited British dignitaries did not show face, because, unlike you,

they are aware that our security apparatus is incompetent and only good at holding careless drivers for months without trial

(1) (Reply)

I Want An Igbo President!.this Is From A Yoruba Man. / How Africa Competes: Bb Africa Loser Gets Winning Cheque From Mugabe Lwkmd / Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon Vs Rev Chris Okotie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.