Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,624 members, 7,955,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:37 PM

19 Facts About Mosquitoes You Probably Didn’t Know - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 19 Facts About Mosquitoes You Probably Didn’t Know (555 Views)

Preventive Measures Against Covid- 19:facts And Fiction / Coronavirus: WHO Health Alert Brings COVID-19 Facts To Billions Via Whatsapp / Shocking Covid-19. Facts or Propaganda. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

19 Facts About Mosquitoes You Probably Didn’t Know by skinnyebans(m): 5:05pm On Jun 16, 2019
1. Only the female mosquitoes bite and suck blood. Both male and female mosquitoes feed on fruit and plant nectar but the female needs the blood for egg development. After feeding on human blood, she rests for a couple of days before laying eggs.

2.Over 3,500 species of mosquito exist; anopheles’ species are vectors for Plasmodium causing malaria, and others spread various forms of encephalitis.

3. Mosquito is a Spanish word which means ‘little fly’.

4. Mosquitoes are said to bite but they don’t have teeth. They pierce the skin with serrated proboscis.

5.Female mosquitoes are capable of laying up to 300 eggs in one go. These eggs need just about an inch of standing water to hatch.

6. The first 10 days in the life of mosquitoes are spent in water, transforming from egg, to larvae, to wrigglers, pupae and then into adult mosquito.

7. Mosquitoes are cold blooded and hibernate during the winter. Some lay eggs in freezing water and die. These eggs remain viable until the temperature rises before they can hatch.

8. Male mosquitoes have a short life span of less than or equal to 10 days while female mosquito can live for 2 months. The females of species that hibernate can live up to 6 months.

9. When seeking a mate, male mosquitoes locate the female by the sound of their wings. The females can beat their wings for up to 500 times per second.

10. The female mosquito can fly very far, very fast or very high to find her meal source.

11. Mosquitoes are capable of smelling human breath by aid of receptors located on their antennae which detect the CO2 released when we exhale. This helps them find their meal source.

12. The smell of sweat on your skin generally tells the mosquito to choose you. Mosquitoes love octenol, a chemical released in the sweat; they are also attracted to cholesterol, folic acid, certain bacteria, skin lotions and perfumes.

13. To choose the exact location to bite, the mosquito uses heat sensors which are positioned around their mouthparts to detect the warmth of the body, this warm part shows the presence of blood.

14. Mosquitoes feed day and night, though some like Aedes bite during the day while Culex start biting at dusk and continue into the dark.

15. Those bumps noticed on the sin after mosquito bites are actually filled with mosquito saliva. During mosquito bite, one part of the proboscis draws blood, while a second tube pumps saliva into the skin. The saliva contains mild pain killer and an-anticoagulant.

16. Little wonder we sleep through most bites. This saliva often results to allergic reactions in a number of people which leads to swelling and itching.

17. Mosquitoes cannot transmit HIV, the virus (HIV) are digested in the mosquitoes’ stomach so cannot be transferred.

18. Mosquitoes are considered to be the deadliest animal in the world, Anopheles in particular which leads to the death of the over I million people (mostly African) every year through malaria.

19. Standard mosquito repellents include DEET, picaridin and lemon-eucalyptus oil based mosquito repellents.
Dark clothing attracts mosquitoes due to heat retention.

Additional
Every vertebrate have their own species of mosquitoes that bites them, like wise every vertebrate have their own species of malaria parasites (Plasmodium app)
Re: 19 Facts About Mosquitoes You Probably Didn’t Know by skinnyebans(m): 5:06pm On Jun 16, 2019
Cc: lalasticalala
Re: 19 Facts About Mosquitoes You Probably Didn’t Know by ritzyvic1(m): 5:21pm On Jun 16, 2019
Thank you for that no. 11
It kinda explained why it seems they love to sing in my ears
They are probably flying around the CO2 source to confirm it's a meal and not necessarily aiming at my ears

1 Like

Re: 19 Facts About Mosquitoes You Probably Didn’t Know by basmur(m): 5:21pm On Jun 16, 2019
Hmmmn
sucking blood and releasing mild pain killer saliva..
#mosquitoes With that their irritating sound.
Re: 19 Facts About Mosquitoes You Probably Didn’t Know by LamidicownuBSS: 5:23pm On Jun 16, 2019
Mosquitoes no get season for yoloba land I swear
Re: 19 Facts About Mosquitoes You Probably Didn’t Know by Justiceleague1: 6:02pm On Jun 16, 2019
All mosquitoes and plasmodium de la coneheaded structures should be eliminated asap.

grin
Re: 19 Facts About Mosquitoes You Probably Didn’t Know by Tsam96(m): 7:25pm On Jun 16, 2019
ritzyvic1:
Thank you for that no. 11
It kinda explained why it seems they love to sing in my ears
They are probably flying around the CO2 source to confirm it's a meal and not necessarily aiming at my ears

I don't understand this ur science oo....is your ears the CO2 source??
Re: 19 Facts About Mosquitoes You Probably Didn’t Know by Rootprof(m): 7:35pm On Jun 16, 2019
Nice writeup.
So pity it's we African that mostly suffers from mosquito bite or malaria,now that most developed countries have eradicated mosquito from their society. One day Africa will catch up with other developed countries tongue

1 Like

Re: 19 Facts About Mosquitoes You Probably Didn’t Know by skinnyebans(m): 1:57am On Jun 17, 2019
Rootprof:
Nice writeup.
So pity it's we African that mostly suffers from mosquito bite or malaria,now that most developed countries have eradicated mosquito from their society. One day Africa will catch up with other developed countries tongue

Amen o and thanks
Re: 19 Facts About Mosquitoes You Probably Didn’t Know by skinnyebans(m): 1:57am On Jun 17, 2019
Tsam96:

I don't understand this ur science oo....is your ears the CO2 source??

grin

(1) (Reply)

Adam Litwin: Jailed As A Fake Doctor, Now A Real Doctor (true Story) / Just Confirmed I Am HIV Negative / BREAKING;Coronavirus:One New Case Confirmed In FCT,Totalling 27 Cases in Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.