Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,579 members, 7,955,126 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:39 PM

Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS (4650 Views)

Ghana’s Inflation Hits 40.4% In October 2022 / Nigerians Paid More For Cooking Gas, Diesel, Kerosene & Petrol In May – NBS / Price Of Diesel Jumps By 4.91% In May – NBS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by rodeo0070(m): 2:48pm On Jun 17, 2019
The consumer price index, (CPI) which measures inflation increased by 11.40 percent (year-on-year) in May 2019. This is 0.03 percent points higher than the rate recorded in April 2019 (11.37 percent).

Increases were recorded in all COICOP divisions that yielded the Headline index.

On a month-on-month basis, the Headline index increased by 1.11 percent in May 2019. This is 0.17 percent rate higher than the rate recorded in April 2019 (0.94 percent).

The percentage change in the average composite CPI for the twelve months period ending May 2019, over the average of the CPI for the previous twelve months period was 11.30 percent, 0.01 percent points from 11.31 percent recorded in April 2019.

The urban inflation rate increased by 11.76 percent (year-on-year) in May 2019 from 11.70 percent recorded in April 2019, while the rural inflation rate increased by 11.07 percent in May 2019 from 11.08 percent in April 2019.

On a month-on-month basis, the urban index rose by 1.15 percent in May 2019, up by 0.15 points from 1.00 percent recorded in April 2019, while the rural index also rose by 1.07 percent in May 2019, up by 0.17 from the rate recorded in April 2019 (0.90 percent).

The corresponding twelve-month year-on-year average percentage change for the urban index was 11.66 percent in May 2019. This is less than the 11.69 percent reported in April 2019, while the corresponding rural inflation rate in May 2019 is 10.99 percent compared to 11.00 percent recorded in April 2019.

Food Index

The composite food index rose by 13.79 percent in May 2019 compared to 13.70 percent in April 2019.

This rise in the food index was caused by increases in prices of Meat, Oils and fats, Bread and cereals, Potatoes, yam and other tubers, Fish, Milk, cheese and egg, and Vegetables.

On a month-on-month basis, the food sub-index increased by 1.41 percent in May 2019, up by 0.27 percent points from 1.14 percent recorded in April 2019.

The average annual rate of change of the Food sub-index for the twelve-month period ending May 2019 over the previous twelve-month average was 13.37 percent, 0.03 percent points from the average annual rate of change recorded in April 2019 (13.34 percent).

All Items Less Farm Produce

The ‘’All items less farm produce’’ or Core inflation, which excludes the prices of volatile agricultural produce stood at 9.0 percent in May 2019, down by 0.3 percent when compared with 9.3 percent recorded in April 2019.

On a month-on-month basis, the core sub-index increased by 0.75 percent in May 2019. This was up by 0.05 percent when compared with 0.70 percent recorded in April 2019.

The highest increases were recorded in prices of Domestic and household services, Tobacco, Actual and imputed rentals for housing, Medical, Dental and Hospital services, Cleaning, repair and hire of clothing, Repair and hire of footwear and Repair of household appliance.

The average 12-month annual rate of change of the index was 9.77 percent for the twelve-month period ending May 2019; this is 0.14 percent points lower than 9.91 percent recorded in April 2019.

State Profiles

In analysing price movements under this section, note that the CPI is weighted by consumption expenditure patterns which differ across states. Accordingly, the weight assigned to a particular food or non-food item may differ from state to state making interstate comparisons of consumption basket inadvisable and potentially misleading.

All Items Inflation

In May 2019, all items inflation on year on year basis was highest in Kebbi (15.76%), Bauchi (14.97%) and Kaduna (13.74%), while Abia (9.91%), Cross River (9.68%) and Kwara (8.45%) recorded the slowest rise in headline Year on Year inflation.

On month on month basis however, May 2019 all items inflation was highest in Bauchi (1.76%), Gombe (1.69%) and Niger (1.65%), while Kogi (0.59%), Benue (0.48%) recorded the slowest rise  with Kwara recording food price deflation or negative inflation (general decrease in the general price level of goods and services or a negative inflation rate).

Food Inflation

In May 2019, food inflation on a year on year basis was highest in Kaduna (17.10%), Kebbi (18.90%) and Gombe (16.90%), while Kogi (11.80%), Rivers (11.70%) and Abia (10.90%) recorded the slowest rise.

On month on month basis however, May 2019 food inflation was highest in Kano (2.39%), Gombe (2.33%) and Kaduna (2.27%), while Kogi (0.68) and Benue (0.24%) recorded the slowest rise with Kwara recording food price deflation or negative inflation (general decrease in the general price level of goods and services or a negative inflation rate).

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/2019/06/17/nigerian-consumer-inflation-edges-up-to-11-4-in-may-nbs/

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by cooldipo(m): 2:50pm On Jun 17, 2019
Dis kain thing no dey ever leave 9ja ..... Wetin be out offence sef

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by akpaan(m): 4:10pm On Jun 17, 2019
for real
Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by Bitchiamjay(m): 4:11pm On Jun 17, 2019
In 2015 .. The inflation rate was 9.01%

2019 .. Inflation rate is 11.40%

We are really heading to the next level where the next inflation rate shall be 23.10%.

And na that level I go pack my bags run leave this country for buhari.

Obu ghari go this country to the next level!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by ainas247: 4:11pm On Jun 17, 2019
This is not a piece of good news for the household.

Rank your business on Google
guarantee, chat up now
Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by jamezman(m): 4:15pm On Jun 17, 2019
Next level is coming so hard like a flood only the strong and prayerful will survive..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by lordm(m): 4:15pm On Jun 17, 2019
Hmm, God help us
Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by ZombieTERROR: 4:17pm On Jun 17, 2019
The fact is that Buhari lacks the intelligence and modern day leadership ideas required to revamp our ailing economy...

Nigeria is doomed

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by Georgry(m): 4:24pm On Jun 17, 2019
we're getting there, next level things.
God is watching Mr BUHARI with 5g network.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by Princedapace(m): 4:24pm On Jun 17, 2019
ZombieTERROR:
The fact is that Buhari lacks the intelligence and modern day leadership ideas required to revamp our ailing economy...

Nigeria is doomed

Lol this country that has been eaten up by Buhari's core tribalism. No leader has exhibited tribalism like this man. Him and his team are so tribalistic.

No other leader was like this man. A man deeply eaten by hate can never ever produce positive thoughts.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by thegreencoal: 4:29pm On Jun 17, 2019
What the heck is 11.4%? Who will believe your goddamned data?! 11.4% versus what? 11.4% as at when?

Go to the street and do a better survey! If you say 35% increase now, I can believe you.

That's how you will go to Wikipedia and you will see Nigeria unemployment rate at 23% when reality is about 70%.

11.4% inflation rate kii you there!

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by shadeyinka(m): 4:36pm On Jun 17, 2019
I don't know why economists prefer to measure inflation over a period of one month when it actually makes sense to measure inflation in:
One Year
Ten Years
And
Twenty Years.

One can measure properly market values using this yardstick

By now, a 10 year inflation status of Nigeria will be about 1349% while a 20 years inflation would be about 6300%

Who is fooling who?

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jun 17, 2019
#THE SATANIC NEXT LEVEL JUST BEGUN!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by AMI3(m): 4:57pm On Jun 17, 2019
I need to relocate ASAP.
I don't know if this is bad omen.
Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by Jobac: 5:10pm On Jun 17, 2019
This government will do everything to make sure that inflation rate is reduced to one digit. I have confidence in Buhari and Osinbajo that they will put every machinery in place so that everyone will be happy at the end of the day.
No fear; God is with this government and every reasonable Nigerian.
Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by bigpicture001: 5:17pm On Jun 17, 2019
Who told them the CPI is used in.measuring inflation...?

Naida only starting computing CPI since okonjo iweala'ssecond coming...

CPI is used in measuring the marginal propensity to comsume...nd not inflation.

It calculate how viable consumers are will to spend

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by 1x2x3: 5:18pm On Jun 17, 2019
The good thing is that this inflation won't differentiate between igbos, Yorubas or hausas. Only the poor and the elites will be differentiated.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by jrusky(m): 6:05pm On Jun 17, 2019
cooldipo:
Dis kain thing no dey ever leave 9ja ..... Wetin be out offence sef

Our offense is we keep voting wrong person to power bro.

That is our offense.
Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jun 17, 2019
shadeyinka:
I don't know why economists prefer to measure inflation over a period of one month when it actually makes sense to measure inflation in:
One Year
Ten Years
And
Twenty Years.

One can measure properly market values using this yardstick

By now, a 10 year inflation status of Nigeria will be about 1349% while a 20 years inflation would be about 6300%

Who is fooling who?

Did you read what is up there?
Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by shadeyinka(m): 8:26pm On Jun 17, 2019
WinningSun:

Did you read what is up there?
Yes!
Consumer inflation (consumer price index- CPI) for the month of May 2019 at 11.4%

Do you feel it's realistic measuring inflation over a short period of time (like one month) as a means of judging the performance of an economy?
Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jun 17, 2019
shadeyinka:

Yes!
Consumer inflation (consumer price index- CPI) for the month of May 2019 at 11.4%

Do you feel it's realistic measuring inflation over a short period of time (like one month) as a means of judging the performance of an economy?

On a month-on-month basis, the Headline index increased by 1.11 percent in May 2019. This is 0.17 percent rate higher than the rate recorded in April 2019 (0.94 percent).

As to your question yes. So that you can control and make fast decisions.
Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by shadeyinka(m): 9:26pm On Jun 17, 2019
WinningSun:

As to your question yes. So that you can control and make fast decisions.
Unfortunately, some of us non academic economists see it as a means of fooling the public that all is well with the economy.

If the 10 year CPI was presented, Nigerians will almost stone ALL our economic experts and the Government. When you look at what things used to cost 10 years ago with the kind of figures presented by our economic experts, you can't help but wonder if these figures are not just manufactured to present a beautiful lie.

BTW, I see our economic experts as monitors and reporters of the current state of the economy rather than governors who CONTROL the economy.

I am sorry, I am not an expert in economics BUT I honestly feel strongly that we don't yet understand how both MONEY or the ECONOMY works. I have my theories though.
Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by Legendguru: 9:59pm On Jun 17, 2019
hmmm
Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by Nobody: 10:10pm On Jun 17, 2019
shadeyinka:

Unfortunately, some of us non academic economists see it as a means of fooling the public that all is well with the economy.

If the 10 year CPI was presented, Nigerians will almost stone ALL our economic experts and the Government. When you look at what things used to cost 10 years ago with the kind of figures presented by our economic experts, you can't help but wonder if these figures are not just manufactured to present a beautiful lie.

BTW, I see our economic experts as monitors and reporters of the current state of the economy rather than governors who CONTROL the economy.

I am sorry, I am not an expert in economics BUT I honestly feel strongly that we don't yet understand how both MONEY or the ECONOMY works. I have my theories though.

You're right about your assumptions. We understand how money works but the political structure and those that hold positions are clueless...

That CPI you see up there are imported inflation... Our most important foods are imported.
Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by shadeyinka(m): 10:25pm On Jun 17, 2019
WinningSun:

You're right about your assumptions. We understand how money works but the political structure and those that hold positions are clueless...

That CPI you see up there are imported inflation... Our most important foods are imported.
I am yet to see any economist speak about the curse of oil money.

To me, crude oil money shouldn't be part of what is used to calculate our GDP because of a truth, it is free money. We don't even have any input into either the prospecting or the drilling or the pumping. All we did was to license some white people to help us locate the oil AND we collect monthly royalties over the oil. Unfortunately, it's so bad that we don't even control the oil market

What is the effect of free money into the economy?
Doesn't it cause a kind of inflation?
Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jun 17, 2019
shadeyinka:

I am yet to see any economist speak about the curse of oil money.

To me, crude oil money shouldn't be part of what is used to calculate our GDP because of a truth, it is free money. We don't even have any input into either the prospecting or the drilling or the pumping. All we did was to license some white people to help us locate the oil AND we collect monthly royalties over the oil. Unfortunately, it's so bad that we don't even control the oil market

What is the effect of free money into the economy?
Doesn't it cause a kind of inflation?

Yes it sure does... The literary meaning of inflation is 'excess money in supply' an example of free money is yahoo yahoo money... The way they spend it inflate price of goods. Oil money is not a problem if we know how to channel it
Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by shadeyinka(m): 11:06pm On Jun 17, 2019
WinningSun:

Yes it sure does... The literary meaning of inflation is 'excess money in supply' an example of free money is yahoo yahoo money... The way they spend it inflate price of goods. Oil money is not a problem if we know how to channel it
But what do we do with oil money?
We share it to states every month to service recurrent expenditures!
We do exactly the worst thing we could have done with oil money: to service consumables!

Can you see why me as a non expert seem to understand where our economic problem is coming from while both the CBN Governor and the Minister of Finance seen not to know (or maybe they don't care). It's honestly annoying to me. Income tax should be used to fund our recurrent expenditures not oil money.

If we had used oil money to acquire fixed assets and infrastructures with a purpose of industrialization, we would have been wise. Unfortunately, we keep on diluting our Naira by the day.

From my little analysis, there is no fiscal and monetary policy combination that can work in Nigeria. There is a key ingredient which is needed but no one seem to want to do.

Do you think our oil revenue should be used in calculating our national GDP?
Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by Nobody: 5:31am On Jun 18, 2019
shadeyinka:

But what do we do with oil money?
We share it to states every month to service recurrent expenditures!
We do exactly the worst thing we could have done with oil money: to service consumables!

Can you see why me as a non expert seem to understand where our economic problem is coming from while both the CBN Governor and the Minister of Finance seen not to know (or maybe they don't care). It's honestly annoying to me. Income tax should be used to fund our recurrent expenditures not oil money.

If we had used oil money to acquire fixed assets and infrastructures with a purpose of industrialization, we would have been wise. Unfortunately, we keep on diluting our Naira by the day.

From my little analysis, there is no fiscal and monetary policy combination that can work in Nigeria. There is a key ingredient which is needed but no one seem to want to do.

Do you think our oil revenue should be used in calculating our national GDP?

Governing a nation is not as easy as you thought. And. Making decisions are even harder.

If you happen to be a president, you will be surrounded by 95% who wants you to share all government revenues with them without recourse to the needs of the people. Just 5% will want you to do the right thing.

GDP is a gross sum of national outputs. Both tangible and not. The services a comedian gives is factored in. So you cannot exclude crude oil.
Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by shadeyinka(m): 7:21am On Jun 18, 2019
WinningSun:

Governing a nation is not as easy as you thought. And. Making decisions are even harder.

If you happen to be a president, you will be surrounded by 95% who wants you to share all government revenues with them without recourse to the needs of the people. Just 5% will want you to do the right thing.

GDP is a gross sum of national outputs. Both tangible and not. The services a comedian gives is factored in. So you cannot exclude crude oil.
You sound like someone within Government or one who had worked close to Government who understands that a lot of things is above what even the President can do or change. I think I understand you, unfortunately it doesn't ease my frustrations about my beloved country.

But the Nigerian President is more powerful than we think: there is always a way in which a President can assert his will on the Nation either covertly or by force. If only there is a will to do the needful, there would be a way. Of course 95% of our politicians don't care a hoot about this country: a little interaction with them is enough to show this.

When you know that we as a Nation are on the path of perpetual economic slavery and degradation and the momentum towards our common destruction and poverty is assured it is very painful.

On the GDP, I think I disagree with you. Yes, every kind of EARNED income should be part of it but not FREE money like oil. My argument is simple: to me, crude oil is just like the earth, water or air over a Nation. These are NOT products in the real sense of the word but natural ASSET.

Let me give an example: it's like a man who inherited a house from his late parent and he lives in the house. Should he add to his GDP the money earned from removing and selling Window Louvres, Gates, Roofing sheets all taken from part of this same building where he lives? I think not!

A comedian is applying effort to add value to his words. We collect money from the oil company without applying any kind of effort or addition of value to either the prospecting or the mining of the oil.

I agree, the traditional definition of GDP include every source of earnings BUT it doesn't reflect the performance of the national economy.

Is there another measurement index apart form the GDP that can show us the true situation of our economy?

Sorry for being a little emotional over this: for those of us who desire greatness for this country, one cannot help feeling this bad some times.

Good Morning Sir
Re: Nigerian Consumer Inflation Edges Up To 11.4% In May – NBS by Nobody: 8:39am On Jun 18, 2019
shadeyinka:

You sound like someone within Government or one who had worked close to Government who understands that a lot of things is above what even the President can do or change. I think I understand you, unfortunately it doesn't ease my frustrations about my beloved country.

But the Nigerian President is more powerful than we think: there is always a way in which a President can assert his will on the Nation either covertly or by force. If only there is a will to do the needful, there would be a way. Of course 95% of our politicians don't care a hoot about this country: a little interaction with them is enough to show this.

When you know that we as a Nation are on the path of perpetual economic slavery and degradation and the momentum towards our common destruction and poverty is assured it is very painful.

On the GDP, I think I disagree with you. Yes, every kind of EARNED income should be part of it but not FREE money like oil. My argument is simple: to me, crude oil is just like the earth, water or air over a Nation. These are NOT products in the real sense of the word but natural ASSET.

Let me give an example: it's like a man who inherited a house from his late parent and he lives in the house. Should he add to his GDP the money earned from removing and selling Window Louvres, Gates, Roofing sheets all taken from part of this same building where he lives? I think not!

A comedian is applying effort to add value to his words. We collect money from the oil company without applying any kind of effort or addition of value to either the prospecting or the mining of the oil.

I agree, the traditional definition of GDP include every source of earnings BUT it doesn't reflect the performance of the national economy.

Is there another measurement index apart form the GDP that can show us the true situation of our economy?

Sorry for being a little emotional over this: for those of us who desire greatness for this country, one cannot help feeling this bad some times.

Good Morning Sir

Actually I don't work in government but I have people who are politicians and knows the inner working of government
Government is not as easy as that. Most government workers got job through godfathers and will always protect their interests. The beauty of democracy is the check and balance if the president made an order that you thought will move the country forward if the member of the legislature have bad motives they can upturn it. You see its very dicey but not that it cannot be done.

I can see you have a young soul which combines naivety with optimistism. And your ideal is in contrast to the reality country there by giving you cognitive dissonance.

The truth is this case and in all matter of reality everything is not black or white there are more grey areas in all.

I don't know what your field of study or what tickle your fancy I have this to say to you... Imagine every of our problems and also imagine how you can provide solutions to all either as an individual or probably if you are in an elective position.

In few years time our nation will be calling us to serve her... What are those wrong you intend to right... What you do at that period of your life will be your test.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lets Grow Your Business-businessinfopage.com / Step-by-step Guide To Making Money From Mobile Apps / Ikeja Post Office

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.