Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,431 members, 7,815,974 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:37 PM

Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. - Sports (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. (67270 Views)

PSG Ready To Bring Osimhen Back To France / Tokyo2020 Female Basketball: Nigeria Loses 62 -87 To France / Madagascar 2-0 Nigeria, Fans Blast Leon Balogun, Players After Goal Blunder(Phot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by Ifyz0001: 11:46am On Jun 18, 2019
Atleast Nigeria should have played to score France, in school then when you want to settle for a C grade you end with a D. That was what happened yesterday. You know the world is afraid of the name called Nigeria, cos we can do and undo. Since, Atlanta 1996 they feared Nigerians, they even cancelled that rule in football cos it seems it was favouring Africans more.

The bottom line is that when you are playing an international tournament as big as this, work to win and not to absorb pressure, cos those white men don't wanna c u win.

The girls played well, very well organized at the back especially during set piece and corners. If we qualify, we have to play to win and not to soak pressure, period.

1 Like

Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by ericmor: 11:51am On Jun 18, 2019
OGHENAOGIE:
your head de there..against Ukraine the rule favoured us at under 20... dem no see that one...i don't get the emotions here people are even calling the commentator who was fantastic bias same way some folks blasted kadaria Ahmed for doing her job during presidential interviews at elections

Some people work is to criticize Oyinbo and anybody that come their way. Comedians and ignorant people full here and na dem dey argue and insult people pass
Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by ericmor: 12:03pm On Jun 18, 2019
chucs:
You try so hard to sound intelligent,perhaps u dont follow women's football to know that France is a MIGHTY name when it comes to women's football. Do some research, Lyon ladies are one of the best women football club and have just won the 2019 champions league with not less than six Players in the French team. PSG ladies fc also. I admit that our girls were not spectacular but their defence was top notch.

They expected us to play an open game so that they can win us with 8 goals as usual to the pleasure of their fans but our girls came out with a defencive midset and nearly held them,a host nation to a goalless draw which ofcourse would have placed us in a very comfortable position to progress to the round of 16.

As for the officiating,the penalty for me was 50/50( they could have shown us the front angle to see for sure how the contact was made cuz the two players were in motion). Then the retake,go and check the reviews. If they can spot our goalkeeper move from the line using VAR and they fail to spot encroaching players,most of them were French, then they are very very baised cuz encroaching is also an offence. Perhaps the rule stands if our goalkeeper had saved the ball not when a player missed the target with margins. They could have left the play to go on like that but no,the VAR officials who are Europeans want to show themselves.

The contact was clear, try and watch the replay again and check how our player kicked the France player and I guise u didn’t see that cus most people were busy watching the two players and not the contact which was the leg. Try watch a replay cus u really need it now that I’ve point it out for u to see. We were like 5 watching the game and we were like wat nonsense and one of us was telling us dat is a foul and I was like how not until they showed us the replay. That was a clear foul and the first penalty was the keeper error why she made correction in the second one by staying on the line. The game plan was cool by trying to hold them down just to get a draw but the pressure was just too much and the coach would have brought in Evelin and the other girl earlier cus we all saw wat happened when they both came in
Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by BluntBoy(m): 12:07pm On Jun 18, 2019
ericmor:

Did you listen to the commentator? Yes the rule was there before but now one of the keeper legs is to remain on the line why the penalty is been played. Like I already said, they had 22 goal attempts why we had 2 with no goal on target and u are talking of bias and France are the host nation you know and you know the advantage of any host nation if you watch football very well. France deserve to win the match and they didn’t cheat us cus the ref followed the rules of the game. If it was like the game between esparance Tunis and their opponent in the final second leg which the ref refused to use the var which they claimed was not working, that is a cheat

All those goal attempts don't mean nothing, same as ball possession. What matters is game plan. We have seen teams lose in spite of impressive match stats. Some teams sit back and attack on the counter. Teams like this hardly have impressive stats but always have many victories.

If the French ladies were so deserving of victory, they would have scored a clear-cut goal rather than wait for a penalty to save their ass.

Nigeria came with a game plan to be defensive, rather than offensive. They wanted a draw at best. France wanted a win and so came in offensive. That is why the stat reads that way.
Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by OakPearl(m): 12:11pm On Jun 18, 2019
naptu2:

That's Ngozi Okobi (aka Okobinho).

She has always played that role, most memorably in thr game against Sweden at the 2015 World Cup, but the problem is that her club has recently converted her from an attacking midfielder to a right back.

Video: Ngozi Okobi sparks Nigeria's fight back against Sweden.

Sweden 3-3 Nigeria

Goals by Ngozi Okobi, Asisat Oshoala and Francisca Ordega. (Check out Okobi's pass to Oshoala for the second goal).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mefYtjq5drM

Excellent feedback.
Thanks for the video too.
They even played better football under their Nigerian handler then in 2015! undecided
Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by ericmor: 12:17pm On Jun 18, 2019
BluntBoy:

All those goal attempts don't mean nothing, same as ball possession. What matters is game plan. We have seen teams lose in spite of impressive match stats. Some teams sit back and attack on the counter. Teams like this hardly have impressive stats but always have many victories.

If the French ladies were so deserving of victory, they would have scored a goal against the run of play rather than wait for a penalty to save their ass.

Nigeria came with a game plan to be defensive, rather than offensive. They wanted a draw at best. France wanted a win and so came in offensive. That is why the stat reads that way.

They didn’t wait for a penalty it was our player that committed a foul in the box and having a good stat and winning is a good one. All I’ve been saying is that they didn’t go out of the rules of the game so is not a cheat. They had a nice game and we try to defend but they ended up winning us by just a goal rather than beating us like we are their baby
Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by ericmor: 12:22pm On Jun 18, 2019
Ifyz0001:
Atleast Nigeria should have played to score France, in school then when you want to settle for a C grade you end with a D. That was what happened yesterday. You know the world is afraid of the name called Nigeria, cos we can do and undo. Since, Atlanta 1996 they feared Nigerians, they even cancelled that rule in football cos it seems it was favouring Africans more.

The bottom line is that when you are playing an international tournament as big as this, work to win and not to absorb pressure, cos those white men don't wanna c u win.

The girls played well, very well organized at the back especially during set piece and corners. If we qualify, we have to play to win and not to soak pressure, period.

Is just as simple as that. At list they should have had two fast player in the front that can do a counter attack just to get a single goal
Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by naptu2: 12:31pm On Jun 18, 2019
grin grin grin

The argument is still raging on the BBC handles.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1140924615339868161
Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by ericmor: 12:47pm On Jun 18, 2019
Beverlyjean:

Leave all those stories on twitter...the ref and var team were absolutely correct... A Nigerian player was in the box as well when it was taken the second time... U guys dint complain when the under 20 team played Ukraine and got a penalty and when we missed, he was asked to play again cos the keepers feet were not on the line and he received a yellow card as well...

We just had a single plan to defend all thru and that was not a smart approach

Thank u very much
Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by oalandAgents2: 2:27pm On Jun 18, 2019
If we aren't eliminated, our chances of winning the cup has just improved. They say : what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

Apparently our teenage goalkeeper played tremendously. Her fitness during this tournament is going to be key to the our girls fulfilling their dream of bring that cup home!
Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by olumyde5(m): 2:42pm On Jun 18, 2019
ericmor:

Did you listen to the commentator? Yes the rule was there before but now one of the keeper legs is to remain on the line why the penalty is been played. Like I already said, they had 22 goal attempts why we had 2 with no goal on target and u are talking of bias and France are the host nation you know and you know the advantage of any host nation if you watch football very well. France deserve to win the match and they didn’t cheat us cus the ref followed the rules of the game. If it was like the game between esparance Tunis and their opponent in the final second leg which the ref refused to use the var which they claimed was not working, that is a cheat

How much do the commentators know.
The same comentator that said we've won the AFOCN 13times and that we qualify for the tournament through WAFU. I have seen a lot of comentators speak jargons.
What they say most times does not validate their level of knowledge of football.
If you can talk very well you can be one
Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by connkg(m): 3:03pm On Jun 18, 2019
@ericmor I'm glad you saw the corner kick awarded against Ordega, even when she protested enough for a review. The yellow given the French for the poleaxe attempt on a defender's head was shown from various angles in multiple replays. Did you notice the Ordega replay was just once?
In summary, until that penalty resulted in the best outcome, it would have been retaken. It wouldn't matter if a hundred people were inside the box already.
Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by Godson32(m): 3:13pm On Jun 18, 2019
I know that the super falcons will play defensively and they did it well but buhari with his bad luck, lols. Up Super Falcons! We re solidly behind u.
Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by polofemo: 3:20pm On Jun 18, 2019
That keeper is the boom. To me, the woman of the match
Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by ericmor: 4:16pm On Jun 18, 2019
olumyde5:

How much do the commentators know.
The same comentator that said we've won the AFOCN 13times and that we qualify for the tournament through WAFU. I have seen a lot of comentators speak jargons.
What they say most times does not validate their level of knowledge of football.
If you can talk very well you can be one

The commentator may not know anything but knows very well about the penalty which is my point here also. Rules are rules and not that they fix it just to favor France cus same thing happened in the game btw jaimaca and Italy if I’m not mistaken and the penalty had to be retaken and the keeper also got a yellow card for it. If our player didn’t foul the French player there wouldn’t have been a review by the var at the first place and all that penalty thing wouldn’t have happen and the game might have ended in a draw or the other way
Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by kenzysmith: 5:36pm On Jun 18, 2019
OGHENAOGIE:
have they not been doing well...keshi won afcon in 2013 took us to second round world cup... he was not given an improved contract...he was later disgraced from the national team...what was omagbemi offence after 2016 nations cup when it was even NFF who erred in owing our players...
we value anything foreign...see how much we pay rohr and dennerby and not as if we don't have those who can do the jobs...South Africa has an indigenous coach and she is doing well French,USA,germany,England,Japan,Norway all have indigenous coaches and a winner ll emerge from these teams...foreign coaches are overrated sometimes...
we have the likes of siasia,amuneke,amakpakabo,finidi etc who can do super eagles job with the Right templates...for falcons omagbemi, akide,nkwocha etc can do the job
shut up joor if u follow history u will kw our female national team ve not gone past d group stage since 20yrs ago let give this white coach 2more years when last did we won a match at the fifa world cup? Let ur hatred for the white not make u see hw we improve defensively.
Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by OGHENAOGIE(m): 5:42pm On Jun 18, 2019
kenzysmith:
shut up joor if u follow history u will kw our female national team ve not gone past d group stage since 20yrs ago let give this white coach 2more years when last did we won a match at the fifa world cup? Let ur hatred for the white not make u see hw we improve defensively.
I can see you lack sense of decurom or u are stylishly stupid...ismala mabo a Nigerian took falcon to quarter finals of 1999 world cup...dennerby has done nothing and if we even make it to second round we will definitely be out since we might likely face USA or Germany...your comment is so shameful foreign coaches are overrated many times simple

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by OGHENAOGIE(m): 6:06pm On Jun 18, 2019
kenzysmith:
same 20 years ago that an indigenous coach took us to the quarter finals and you are talking thrash here....
Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by kenzysmith: 8:05pm On Jun 18, 2019
OGHENAOGIE:
I can see you lack sense of decurom or u are stylishly stupid...ismala mabo a Nigerian took falcon to quarter finals of 1999 world cup...dennerby has done nothing and if we even make it to second round we will definitely be out since we might likely face USA or Germany...your comment is so shameful foreign coaches are overrated many times simple
i kw ur prayer is 4 us to be booted out of the nationcup group stage just because of ur hatred for d whites. So that nnf we appoint amunike and ur siasia.
Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by kenzysmith: 8:12pm On Jun 18, 2019
OGHENAOGIE:
same 20 years ago that an indigenous coach took us to the quarter finals and you are talking thrash here....
so make we dey wait 4 anoda twenty years to see second round under ur local coaches .ekpa! Amaju is a man of quality and he is taking our football to anoda level. Your saisai no dey get work? Na only nigeria na feel appoint ni?
Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by Nobody: 8:20pm On Jun 18, 2019
Corrosiveman:
even the commentator was totally Biased
Yes! I noticed that as well.
That woman degraded Nigeria in most of her comments, unnecessarily bringing up bad records like "given the ball away 47 times" . Was that really necessary?
Even if the super falcons were completely bossed, they didn't deserve to be treated that way.
Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jun 18, 2019
Dwayne564:
France was obviously the better side

To those quoting me, you most definitely do not know the NEW rules, she stepped out of line. The var spotted it and she got booked. Drop your sentiments
What would you say about the encroaching in the retake? isn't that a rule too?
It was a penalty, but the booking was a wrong call. Watch closely, Ebere was not completely aware of the French player's presence. Her eyes were fully on the ball, hence the attempt to clear it out.
Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by EagleNest(m): 1:13am On Jun 19, 2019
ericmor:

Intentional or not intentional it was a foul. That’s the point. If it was an infringements and the ref still gave the penalty, I will also be here with u blaming the ref

What do you mean by infringement? Is there any difference? Any why repeat penalty twice.
Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by naptu2: 10:23pm On Jun 19, 2019
SCOTLAND 3-3 ARGENTINA

Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by naptu2: 10:25pm On Jun 19, 2019
And more complaints about the referee, VAR and retaken penalties in the Scotland vs Argentian game, which reminds me of my earlier comment.

naptu2:
grin

I predicted that this would happen. I said it at the end of May.

This World Cup reminds me of USA '94. The best 3rd placed teams also progressed to the knockout stage at USA '94, but more importantly, there were also rule changes ahead of USA '94.

Marco Van Basten was one of my favourite strikers in the late 1980s and early 1990s. He scored great goals for AC Milan and Holland and he won the 1989 and 1990 European Cup titles with Milan.

However, Italian football had the hardest tackling defenders back then and their tackles took a toll on Van Basten. He repeatedly suffered ankle injuries. Then, in the final of the 1993 European Cup/Champions League, Basile Boli made a viscious tackle on Van Basten and that tackle practically ended his career.

FIFA were unhappy that Van Basten would not play in the 1994 World Cup and they therefore banned tackles from behind (just before the World Cup). Any tackle from behind would result in a red card.

Backpasses were also banned (because of Cameroon's habit of constantly passing the ball to their goalkeeper at the 1990 World Cup).

These rules were implemented at the 1994 World Cup and these led to many complaints. A British magazine at the time wrote that the referee was blowing his whistle as if he was a traffic cop. A commentator said that a referee gave someone a yellow card simply for breathing.

Commentators, footballers, coaches and analysts complained about the referee's decisions.

The problem I had when I heard about these new rules at the end of May was that FIFA was going to start implementing the rules at the World Cup!

I've always wondered why FIFA and IFAB always introduce these rules just before a World Cup competition. The World Cup is meant to be the most important football competition and there's a lot at stake. Why don't they first try out these new rules during league games, so that referees, players, coaches, fans, commentators and analysts will get used to them before introducing them at the highest level of the game?

By the way, for those saying that it's only Nigerians that are complaining, either because they are biased or sentimental, note that it's not only Nigerians that are complaining. Many foreigners are also complaining and this is because a new rule has just been implemented at the highest level of the game. There are always complaints from all over the world when this happens.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by Alejobs: 10:23am On Jun 20, 2019
Just before you do the do.... Think twice!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by elRamani(m): 2:55pm On Jun 20, 2019
baiaon:
When the second penalty was retaken was any of Nigeria's goalkeepers feet on the line?NO.So why wasn't it retaken again?because the main issue wasn't whether one of her feet was on the line in the first place or not.It was all about France scoring and winning the match

what a beautiful combo of arrogance and ignorance you av in ur blood? how can u b claiming to av travelled and 'know oyinbos' nd simple Fifa rules u don't know? if d pk was scored, it is counted as a goal nd d Gk warned but if it didn't score there will be a retake, wtf! even my kid brothers know this
Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by elRamani(m): 2:59pm On Jun 20, 2019
OrangeDream:
My question is, if France had scored the first penalty, would the second one be re-taken?. Fucking French.

Fifa rule says if d pk was scored, it will be counted as a goal but if otherwise, it can be retaken
Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by elRamani(m): 3:05pm On Jun 20, 2019
Jayhazard:

What would you say about the encroaching in the retake? isn't that a rule too?
It was a penalty, but the booking was a wrong call. Watch closely, Ebere was not completely aware of the French player's presence. Her eyes were fully on the ball, hence the attempt to clear it out.

Dybala's high boot on Carvajal's chest dat resulted into sending Dybala out during their Champions league last two seasons, did Dybala see Carvajal coming?

Refs ar not gods, they don't knw wots on ur mind, they will make calls based on what they see, defenders av to b extra careful once an attacker is in front of dem wit d ball, sadly thats football for u
Re: Reactions To France 1-0 Nigeria. by booksrite(f): 10:04pm On Jun 28, 2019
And more complaints about the referee, VAR and retaken penalties in the Scotland vs Argentian game, which reminds me of my earlier comment.

shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Henry Onyekuru And Esty Traditional Wedding Pictures: Super Eagles Storm Event / Braless Chichi Igbo Imitates Michael Jackson / Old And New Houses Of Messi, Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic, Beckham

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.