|Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,442,992 members, 5,500,315 topics. Date: Monday, 30 March 2020 at 03:25 PM
|Apple Developer Academy Naples Calling by dreamchaser90(m): 11:02am On Jun 18, 2019|
So today I just found out that the application for Academy Developer Academy is open and the deadline is already this Friday - that's the 21st of July.
In case you're wondering what's this academy all about, well I was privileged to attend the Master class of the 2017/2018 session from October, 2017 to June, 2018. I will write later about my experience there but basically it's a partnership between the University of Naples and Apple Inc to offer training on iOS app development using Challenge Based Learning (CBL) model. The core study areas are Coding, Design and Business & Marketing. The course duration is about nine (9) months from the month of September/October to June. You don't need to have any prior knowledge about programming because you'll be taught the fundamentals. In addition, you'll gain all round knowledge beyond programming in areas such as teamwork, presentations, business, networking, marketing and basically most of what you need to become an entrepreneur. You'll also meet great people, the very young and not so young, from all walks of life, different countries and backgrounds. And did I mention the amazing Italian cuisines�. For the experience alone, it's definitely worth it.
The minimum qualification required is high school diploma/certificate and the application process is quite straightforward. You submit an application online and there'll be an assessment test in various Naples, London, Paris and Munich. I took mine in Naples, although as I was already within the Schengen zone, I didn't have to bother about Visa issues. But that's also not an issue because we had lots of students that came from far away US, Brazil, Mazico, Algeria and even Peru for the test. For the more information on how the structure of the test, you'll more information on the website and there is even now the option to practice online.
After the assessment test, the top 550 students will be take a motivational interview by Skype and based on your score, the top 358 students will be invited to attend the academy. And then if you are outside of Italy, you can obtain a Visa by requesting for an official invitation from the Academy.
The academy is totally free and the good thing is you don't have to bother about living cost. Apple provide all the students with the latest iPhone and Macbook Pro for the duration of the course (You also can loan any other Apple device you required during the course). There is an Apple scholarship for the top 5% of the students admitted into the Academy worth about 7200€. The other students (the remaining 95%) are also offered a similar scholarship by Regione Campania. The difference being that the scholarship from Regione Campania is taxed and is based on your attendance while that of Apple has no preconditions and is paid on time of course�.
Life after the Academy:
And what next after the Academy? Well, you have several options. Job fairs are held towards the end of the course. The demand for iOS Developers is quite high so you could also explore other opportunities in other European countries. Personally, I wasn't interested in staying back in Italy so I didn't apply for any job there. But I knew quite a number of foreign students that either took up employment in Italy or moved to other European countries mainly Germany.
Why attend? Well, if you're interested in technology or creating a technology focused, startup someday, then I strongly encourage you to apply. And as stated earlier, what you learn goes way beyond just software development. And finally, you get to meet amazing people, live in Naples and of course, have crazy fun�.
If you have any question, don't hesitate to ask.
|Re: Apple Developer Academy Naples Calling by spoilerx: 1:13pm On Jun 18, 2019|
but you can't apply from Nigeria, how would you write the test?
|Re: Apple Developer Academy Naples Calling by dreamchaser90(m): 8:34pm On Jun 18, 2019|
You can apply from anywhere. In fact one of the strong points of the Academy is the number of international students from outside the EU. As for writing the test, you'll need to apply for an Italian visa to take test in July. Getting the visa might be tricky from Nigeria but you could also write the Academy to request for an official invitation. Of course it's easier if you're already in the EU, but I also knew a guy that came from Algeria to take the test so it's doable.
|Re: Apple Developer Academy Naples Calling by dreamchaser90(m): 2:41am On Jun 22, 2019|
Btw, the application deadline has been extended until June 28th 2019.
|Re: Apple Developer Academy Naples Calling by benqsimens: 11:06am On Jul 30, 2019|
thanks for the great explanation. I applied this year and would have some questions to you:
1. I will finished my masters in computer science, so coding is nothing new to me. As far as I read it can be still pretty cool to do the academy. What do you think? Have you seen may people like me there?
2. You wrote that everyone will get a scholarship from "Regione Campania". What is this? Does really everyone get it? What are the restrictions? (I'm from Germany) How much did you get?
3. Since I'm not an Italian: Is there a good website to find a flat in Napoli? Or maybe some shared flat for students?
4. You said that one will get equipped by apple products. I guess you have to return them afterwards?
Thanks a lot! �
|Re: Apple Developer Academy Naples Calling by dreamchaser90(m): 10:13pm On Jul 30, 2019|
I saw that you emailed me, but I couldn't reply because I lost access to the email I used here.
Now, back to your questions.
1. Sure, there are people like you. In fact, we have similar background because I'm also rounding up my Masters in Software Engineering. Basically it's a whole mix with people that had previous programming knowledge and others that don't. We even had guys that had working experience as software developers and just decided to try something new so you won't feel out of place.
2. I don't know the detailed info about them but it seems like the regional government covering southwestern Italy including Naples. I understand though that the scholarship funds comes from the EU.
Everyone admitted to the Academy gets a scholarship with no restrictions either from Apple(the top 5%) or from Regione Campania (the remaining students). That of Apple is constant while that of Regione Campania is officially subject to availability of funds. But in reality everyone is offered a scholarship. The total amount for 9 months is €7200 and after tax deductions I was left with about €6000.
3. On accommodation, it's better to network with other newly admitted students, there are Facebook groups for that. The university also has an international desk that helps with accommodation and there's a university dormitory although it's quite a distance from the academy. So you have the choice of either renting an apartment outside or staying in the dormitory. It's also better to resume about 1 week before the course commercement date to sort out accommodation issues.
4. Yes. The equipments are only for the duration of the course and you have to return them after graduation. But at the end of the course you'll have discounts on certain Apple products.
Goodluck in your application and again, if you need more info, don't hesitate to ask.
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2020 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119