Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,751 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? (21097 Views)

Get A Shop In Chymall And Make Big Profits Every 10 Days Simply Doing Nothing / Please Nairaland I Need Help To Verify A Shop In Nilton Plaza, Kebbi / What Business Can I Start With 20k As A Lady Without Renting A Shop. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by PrinceOgun: 7:09pm On Jun 18, 2019
placeofallure:

I want to sell Amala and co, can that be done online?
by amala you mean cooked or the flour ?
Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jun 18, 2019
Godmother, you dey complain ontop 2 shops for less than 100k annual rent? Come to Abuja and rent shop nah grin.
Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by Lovelyn451(f): 7:13pm On Jun 18, 2019
yomi007k:
grin

I mean we have deep roots down here. Different states have thier issues as well.
deep stem Kuma...lagos issue is worse, u guys are really trying

1 Like

Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by placeofallure(f): 7:15pm On Jun 18, 2019
PrinceOgun:
by amala you mean cooked or the flour ?
The cooked. Amala, ewedu, Efo, Semo, Fufu etc
Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jun 18, 2019
Lol... Actually that's what I did. How can you be running a total expenses of 18k - 23k a month and complaining when there are shops owners that pay 70k monthly... Chai!

1 Like

Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by partnerbizz5(f): 7:26pm On Jun 18, 2019
Naanlong01:
When am paying 12k/year for my shop and 12k5 for my single room d type we call face me i slap you in Lagos, here in the north. It is well o

12k5 for one year?
Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by Alejobs: 7:27pm On Jun 18, 2019
Nobody can make you angry without your permission
Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by Malawian(m): 7:34pm On Jun 18, 2019
generationz:

What data plan do you subscribe too and is it unlimited?

You have two different networks. one main and one backup. Main One 50 GB, the other 10 GB.
Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by partnerbizz5(f): 7:37pm On Jun 18, 2019
Malawian:
For some of us that requires Electricity round the clock for work (Cyber Cafe), you didn't even scratch the surface of our expenses. I spend 1,500 daily on petrol making 36-40k Monthly on Petrol cost alone!!

Then there is the Internet subscription of about 20k per month.

Then the shop rent here is 14,500 per month. (It is a big shop through)

Lawma = 200 per month, OPC Security = 1,000 per month , LGA Permit - 7,700 per year (642 per month)

I have a prepaid meter now in my shop so Electricity bill is low = 1,500 per month ( I used to be charged 10,000 per month on Estimated bills) Money spent on bills is now low, the downside is i no longer use Air Conditioner, which now contributes to incessant Computer damages.

There is the re-usables stationery, ink, toner, Paper, Photo Paper, etc) per month might be between 25-35k. Assuming you don't have to contend with damaged Equipment due to Nepa light fluctuations.

I should leave out the money for Generator repairs since it is occasional. but even that costs at least 15k whenever it is done.

We are already at around 100k.

All that is just basic expenses to keep the shop open.

It is still from your profit that you will pay House rent, School fees for kids and Madam Money (Very Important).

Then there is the feeding money and money to save for unforeseen circumstances (which we dont really get to save anyways).

Then there is the Money for Babe maintenance wink wink Otherwise, ha ara gi otu n'azu shocked shocked

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Walahi, Wahala dey for shop ownership o, Considering there could be internet downtime, or rainfall that disrupts business activities, or Area boys when they start their perennial fights and shops really close down until their madness cools off.

Madam money and also babe maintenance?

Nawao

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by Malawian(m): 7:44pm On Jun 18, 2019
partnerbizz5:

Madam money and also babe maintenance?

Nawao
If you want to live long, then Yes!!. it is called for.
Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by bravesoul247(m): 7:50pm On Jun 18, 2019
PrinceOgun:

Importing from overseas and selling here via social media (Facebook)
nice. Phone related stuffs I guess? I thinking of what to sell in naija but I've ran out of ideas.
Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by tomdon(m): 8:05pm On Jun 18, 2019
MrMcJay:

I doubt if you've ever run a single profitable enterprise in your life.

All the top eateries and fast foods businesses in Nigeria today started from Lagos.

Fan milk is in Ibadan, their largest market is in Lagos. Gala by Uac foods sells more in Lagos than the other 35 states combined.

So, you'll cook breakfast and lunch at home before leaving by 5am for work and carry 2 lunchboxes to work?

No person living in Lagos would make the ignorant statement you just made. Sit at home and be cooking beans while others are in VI, Apapa, Ikoyi, Ikeja making money.

Agreed
Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by generationz(f): 8:15pm On Jun 18, 2019
Malawian:
You have two different networks. one main and one backup. Main One 50 GB, the other 10 GB.

Why not try airtel double or triple data
With my sim I get up to 4.5 gig for 1k lasts for three months.

4k the highest per sub will give you about 29gig
Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jun 18, 2019
Malawian:
For some of us that requires Electricity round the clock for work (Cyber Cafe), you didn't even scratch the surface of our expenses. I spend 1,500 daily on petrol making 36-40k Monthly on Petrol cost alone!!

Then there is the Internet subscription of about 20k per month.

Then the shop rent here is 14,500 per month. (It is a big shop through)

Lawma = 200 per month, OPC Security = 1,000 per month , LGA Permit - 7,700 per year (642 per month)

I have a prepaid meter now in my shop so Electricity bill is low = 1,500 per month ( I used to be charged 10,000 per month on Estimated bills) Money spent on bills is now low, the downside is i no longer use Air Conditioner, which now contributes to incessant Computer damages.

There is the re-usables stationery, ink, toner, Paper, Photo Paper, etc) per month might be between 25-35k. Assuming you don't have to contend with damaged Equipment due to Nepa light fluctuations.

I should leave out the money for Generator repairs since it is occasional. but even that costs at least 15k whenever it is done.

We are already at around 100k.

All that is just basic expenses to keep the shop open.

It is still from your profit that you will pay House rent, School fees for kids and Madam Money (Very Important).

Then there is the feeding money and money to save for unforeseen circumstances (which we dont really get to save anyways).

Then there is the Money for Babe maintenance wink wink Otherwise, ha ara gi otu n'azu shocked shocked

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Walahi, Wahala dey for shop ownership o, Considering there could be internet downtime, or rainfall that disrupts business activities, or Area boys when they start their perennial fights and shops really close down until their madness cools off.

how about money for taking annual vacations with the family lol
Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by Naanlong01: 8:31pm On Jun 18, 2019
partnerbizz5:

12k5 for one year?
Yes ma, twelve thousand five hundred naira only. It sound unbelievable though, i felt the same way you are feeling right now when i first came here having lived my whole life in Lagos. A comfortable self contained all tiled goes for minimum of 30k upward.
Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by Conqueror89: 8:37pm On Jun 18, 2019
generationz:

Why not try airtel double or triple data
With my sim I get up to 4.5 gig for 1k lasts for three months.

4k the highest per sub will give you about 29gig
Bro, whats the code for the 4.5 gig? Thnks
Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by teepain: 9:15pm On Jun 18, 2019
generationz:

How does one deal with this issue of sales personeel theft , especially when you are not physically present to man them?

What about having an IP based CCTV camera installed to deter theft by the sales personnel. They aren't that expensive anymore.
Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by partnerbizz5(f): 9:38pm On Jun 18, 2019
Naanlong01:

Yes ma, twelve thousand five hundred naira only. It sound unbelievable though, i felt the same way you are feeling right now when i first came here having lived my whole life in Lagos. A comfortable self contained all tiled goes for minimum of 30k upward.

Please which area or local government is that?
Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by temisimo: 9:46pm On Jun 18, 2019
PrinceOgun:
....Physical shops are no longer a feasible and reasonable way of marketing goods in Nigeria, its Online Business , that make all the money this days , When I mean online I mean Websites, make use of the social groups at your disposal , I remember when I had an IT shop selling gadgets and smartwatches in Opebi my business packed up within a year, I was downcasted a bit then I thought of the enormous potential of Nigeria's population , I mean 60% percent of Nigerians now browse the internet that's like 17 billion people easily, I started with paying some admins on Facebook with large groups so I can post my merchandize after a month I made over 200% profit , then I invested , I levereged on my Web design and IT skills so i created a top notch E-Commerce website like jumia and also bought 5 large Facebook groups of my own , now all my selling is done on those groups with ease of mind and major profits all round and I even rent out advertisement spaces to upcoming marketers and they too have been thanking me that they have never had it so good!

Move your business online while you still can .....
What if your clients request for your office address before they can transact
Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by bettyLad(f): 10:26pm On Jun 18, 2019
I just paid for a shop in a complex ,rent and all about 500k, rent alone aside caution and agreement is 350k. I intend to run a fashion designing business and just two days ago 3 people join me in the same business , the plaza management told me they won't take two people in same line of bizness but they lied .now i want to change strategy and go into ready to wear bizness as well as other fashion accessories so I can stand out .also online business will be my own market force ..I'd appreciate any advice on how to promote my business online and make good use of the internet esp social media pages

1 Like

Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by Naanlong01: 10:30pm On Jun 18, 2019
partnerbizz5:

Please which area or local government is that?
I can only answer this question in private, if u insist on knowing, u may ask through my e-mail
Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by generationz(f): 10:53pm On Jun 18, 2019
Conqueror89:

Bro, whats the code for the 4.5 gig? Thnks

Buy a new airtel 4g sim, register and insert it into a phone ( preferably a small phone)

Send get to 141 and wait for the message congratulating you for double bonus for 3or six months. If you don't get this message then you can't get the bonus

I've always been lucky to get triple bonus not double.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by MChaze25(m): 4:32am On Jun 19, 2019
The number one question you should ask yourself is what kinda business are you into. Does it profer any solution to any problem in that environment?
That's where your journey to wealth starts..
Don't just go selling anything you like in the name of business.
Think like an educated person.
Act wisely now

1 Like

Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by budaatum: 5:16am On Jun 19, 2019
Acidosis:
I don't see a problem with the above list.

RENT - 8000 monthly for 2 shops is very very cheap. Outskirt of Lagos, perhaps? Or main markets?

NEPA Bill - Yea, I think the bill is outrageous, but N2000 monthly for 2 shops? That's cheap, ma.

LAWMA - N300 monthly? So o?! You want to pay N30??

SHOP PERMIT - A form of taxation? N400 monthly? Not bad

SECURITY - You mean Vigilante levy? Angels can't protect the total number of shops in Lagos.

RECONNECTION - That happens when people fail to pay their bills on time. Be thankful you run on estimated billing. You can't share prepaid metre in peace with other shop owners.

You know why I cancelled transport and feeding, right?
Well, from what you've posted, your monthly operating expense for 1 shop is less than N10,000, rent inclusive. This is a very good deal if you ask me. I guess you just did not do a proper feasibility study.
We need a thread perhaps. Advice for shopholders.
Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by lloyds(m): 5:43am On Jun 19, 2019
PrinceOgun:
....Physical shops are no longer a feasible and reasonable way of marketing goods in Nigeria, its Online Business , that make all the money this days , When I mean online I mean Websites, make use of the social groups at your disposal , I remember when I had an IT shop selling gadgets and smartwatches in Opebi my business packed up within a year, I was downcasted a bit then I thought of the enormous potential of Nigeria's population , I mean 60% percent of Nigerians now browse the internet that's like 17 billion people easily, I started with paying some admins on Facebook with large groups so I can post my merchandize after a month I made over 200% profit , then I invested , I levereged on my Web design and IT skills so i created a top notch E-Commerce website like jumia and also bought 5 large Facebook groups of my own , now all my selling is done on those groups with ease of mind and major profits all round and I even rent out advertisement spaces to upcoming marketers and they too have been thanking me that they have never had it so good!

Move your business online while you still can .....

Can I have your phone / contact nos Sir, I would like us to talk.
Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by connkg(m): 6:21am On Jun 19, 2019
@MrMcJay Ever left Lagos?
I heard of Sweet Sensation when I came to Lagos. Haven't met a Crunchies here.
Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by Acidosis(m): 6:42am On Jun 19, 2019
budaatum:

We need a thread perhaps. Advice for shopholders.

Exactly, you can create one. Shop/office space owners can visit, update us with their experience, and intending shop owners can also come to learn from the experienced.
Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by Conqueror89: 9:00am On Jun 19, 2019
generationz:

Buy a new airtel 4g sim, register and insert it into a phone ( preferably a small phone)

Send get to 141 and wait for the message congratulating you for double bonus for 3or six months. If you don't get this message then you can't get the bonus

I've always been lucky to get triple bonus not double.

Hahahaha. It is certain that i will get it.
Thanks for the heads-up.
Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by budaatum: 9:59am On Jun 19, 2019
Acidosis:

Exactly, you can create one. Shop/office space owners can visit, update us with their experience, and intending shop owners can also come to learn from the experienced.
You hear, shop/office space owners.
Start a thread to learn from your experience!
Re: Why Is It So Difficult Having A Shop In Lagos? by budaatum: 10:39am On Jun 19, 2019
Acidosis:

https://www.nairaland.com/5253369/sco-pa-tu-manaa-shop

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Etisalat Directors Resign To Escape Criminal Charges / Fuel Subsidy Removal Causes Sharp Decline In Generator Sales In Nigeria- Traders / #5 Reasons Why You Should Use E-banking In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.