Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,862 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:28 PM

Francesco Totti Resigns From Roma After 30 Years, Says Leaving Is Like "Dying" - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Francesco Totti Resigns From Roma After 30 Years, Says Leaving Is Like "Dying" (18649 Views)

Roma Legend Francesco Totti Suffered From Depression After Wife Of 20 Years. / Liverpool FC Lift Premier League Trophy After 30-Year Wait / Liverpool Crowned Premier League Champions After 30 Years Wait (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Francesco Totti Resigns From Roma After 30 Years, Says Leaving Is Like "Dying" by ogbiwa: 6:12am On Jun 19, 2019
Francesco Totti says leaving Roma after 30 years is "like dying" after he resigned from his role as a director at the Serie A club.

The World Cup winner, 42, spent his entire professional career at Roma and retired from playing in July 2017.

His relationship with president James Pallotta reportedly deteriorated, but last week the American said he offered Totti the role of technical director.

Roma finished sixth last season and missed out a Champions League place.

"I resign as a Roma executive," said the Italian former forward, speaking at a news conference that lasted well over an hour. "I was hoping that this day never came, instead this ugly and heavy day has arrived.

"I never had the chance to work on the technical area with Roma."

He added: "This is far worse than retiring as a player. Leaving Roma is like dying. I feel like it'd be better if I died."

Totti criticised the club's American ownership and the influence of former director and now club consultant Franco Baldini.

"This is a club to be loved and supported," he added. "There shouldn't be pro-Totti, pro-Pallotta or pro-Baldini factions. Just Roma fans.

"As I said, presidents pass, coaches pass, players pass, but the flags do not.

"They knew my intentions and what I wanted, to give so much to this club and team, but they never wanted me to, in all honesty. They excluded me from every decision."

Totti's exit follows former team-mate Daniele de Rossi, 35, who left the club at the end of last season after 18 years.

"The main focus of certain people has been to remove Romans from Roma," Totti claimed. "In the end, the truth came out, because they achieved what they wanted."

Totti joined Roma's youth academy in 1989, making his senior debut in 1993 as a 16-year-old. He went on to score 307 goals in 785 games, winning Serie A in 2001 and the Coppa Italia twice. He also won 58 caps for Italy.

He said the only way he would return to the club is under new ownership.

"If I was the president of Roma and had two icons like Totti and De Rossi, I'd put them in charge of everything," said Totti, who said he would still like to attend a Roma game next season with De Rossi, but that the pair would "need wigs, or we won't see much of the game".

He added: "Pallotta surrounded himself with the wrong people and he only listens to them. Everyone makes mistakes, but if you make the same mistakes for eight years, you have to ask yourself some questions. Something clearly is going wrong."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48663777

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Francesco Totti Resigns From Roma After 30 Years, Says Leaving Is Like "Dying" by Adeoludt(m): 6:27am On Jun 19, 2019
Nice move
Re: Francesco Totti Resigns From Roma After 30 Years, Says Leaving Is Like "Dying" by Abfinest007(m): 7:08am On Jun 19, 2019
am getting confused I type anything I hear

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Francesco Totti Resigns From Roma After 30 Years, Says Leaving Is Like "Dying" by goodyvin02(m): 10:33am On Jun 19, 2019
good servant

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Francesco Totti Resigns From Roma After 30 Years, Says Leaving Is Like "Dying" by nauto: 10:33am On Jun 19, 2019
Good Bye
Re: Francesco Totti Resigns From Roma After 30 Years, Says Leaving Is Like "Dying" by chukwuibuipob: 10:34am On Jun 19, 2019
cool legend

1 Like

Re: Francesco Totti Resigns From Roma After 30 Years, Says Leaving Is Like "Dying" by Felixalex(m): 10:34am On Jun 19, 2019
So he is committing suicide be dat

1 Like

Re: Francesco Totti Resigns From Roma After 30 Years, Says Leaving Is Like "Dying" by bamasite2: 10:34am On Jun 19, 2019
Eyaaa....nice decision.....

He knows what is best for himself.

2 Likes

Re: Francesco Totti Resigns From Roma After 30 Years, Says Leaving Is Like "Dying" by hisexcellency34: 10:35am On Jun 19, 2019
Die nah
Re: Francesco Totti Resigns From Roma After 30 Years, Says Leaving Is Like "Dying" by Lamasta(m): 10:35am On Jun 19, 2019
One of the great players who respect the club badge till retirement. True Italian and Roma legend

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Francesco Totti Resigns From Roma After 30 Years, Says Leaving Is Like "Dying" by Flier: 10:36am On Jun 19, 2019
hisexcellency34:
Die nah
Fear of “Change” didn’t allow him to change club
I wonder why some people can never be bored performing the same task everyday

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Francesco Totti Resigns From Roma After 30 Years, Says Leaving Is Like "Dying" by allanphash7(m): 10:36am On Jun 19, 2019
Senior man

Love you baba

A well disciplined man on the picth of play

Wishing you the best in all your future endeavors

I remain a Gonner till i six feet

8 Likes

Re: Francesco Totti Resigns From Roma After 30 Years, Says Leaving Is Like "Dying" by dam2000(m): 10:36am On Jun 19, 2019
Better job us coming 4 u soon
Re: Francesco Totti Resigns From Roma After 30 Years, Says Leaving Is Like "Dying" by coolnews: 10:37am On Jun 19, 2019
Rename your name to Roma
Re: Francesco Totti Resigns From Roma After 30 Years, Says Leaving Is Like "Dying" by mosho2good: 10:39am On Jun 19, 2019
Make we laff small:

�� It was the first day of the session and a new direct entry student, Mensah, a Ghanaian, joined the class in a Nigerian university.

The Lecturer said, "let's begin by reviewing some Nigerian history" and she asked who said, "I shall return to die in the land of my fathers?" She saw a sea of blank faces, except for Mensah, who had his hand up. Mensah replied: "King Jaja of Opobo, 1875".

"Very good!" said lecturer.

Then she asked again, who said, "The land use act will feed the nation?" Again, no response except from Mensah who said: "Obasanjo, 1976."

The Lecturer snapped at the class: "Class, you should be ashamed of yourselves. Mensah, who is new to our Country, knows more about our history than you all."

The Lecturer heard a loud whisper: "Ghana must go" "who said that?" she demanded, Mensah put his hand up, "Buhari 1984."

At that point, a student at the back scornfully said; "Hmmm, you think you are smart?" The Lecturer glared and asked; "All right! Now, who said that?" Again, Mensah said, "Babangida to Abiola, 1992."

Now furious, another student yelled: "Oh yeah! Eat this!" Mensah jumped out of his chair waving his hand and shouting to the Lecturer, "Indian mistress giving an apple to Abacha, 1998".

Now, with almost mob hysteria, someone said: "You little shit. If you say anything else, I'll kill you." Mensah frantically yelled at the top of his voice; "Chris Uba to Ngige, 2004!"

The Lecturer fainted, and as the class gathered around her on the floor, someone said: "Oh shit, we are in Big trouble now!" Mensah whispered; "Chimaroke Nnamani, Ayodele Fayose, and Lucky Igbinedon 2007"

Someone angrily said; "Don't answer him, he is a fool" and Mensah smiled and replied: "Obansanjo to IBB, 2011"

Now the Lecturer manage to get up and asked Mensah: "please, who are you? Show your self ..." and Mensah jumped and yelled saying: "Jonathan to BOKO HARAM 2012".

Class Captain shouted: "We are locking you up". Mensah gently replied.... "Buhari to LOOTERS 2015".

All the students shouted in anger "This school will be locked till further notice" and Mensah looking confused said Ajimobi (constituted authority) to LAUTECH students 2015.

The students looked at Mensa and said, "O ni wa mo!" U won't come again!!!
Mensah smiled, that's Tinubu to Ambode 2018.

�������

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Francesco Totti Resigns From Roma After 30 Years, Says Leaving Is Like "Dying" by mokt(m): 10:40am On Jun 19, 2019
Totti

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Francesco Totti Resigns From Roma After 30 Years, Says Leaving Is Like "Dying" by Leonbonapart(m): 10:40am On Jun 19, 2019
Who cares
Re: Francesco Totti Resigns From Roma After 30 Years, Says Leaving Is Like "Dying" by kenzysmith: 10:40am On Jun 19, 2019
The best stilshly peanaty taker of his generation weldone fransico . This guy resemble morroco coach renard
Re: Francesco Totti Resigns From Roma After 30 Years, Says Leaving Is Like "Dying" by Ivimilly: 10:41am On Jun 19, 2019
Abfinest007:
Hear from who?
Re: Francesco Totti Resigns From Roma After 30 Years, Says Leaving Is Like "Dying" by Nobody: 10:43am On Jun 19, 2019
Wow! One of my best PS2 man on master leaque those days.
Re: Francesco Totti Resigns From Roma After 30 Years, Says Leaving Is Like "Dying" by nwakibie3(m): 10:44am On Jun 19, 2019
Abfinest007:

village people don open your file be that
Re: Francesco Totti Resigns From Roma After 30 Years, Says Leaving Is Like "Dying" by Nobody: 10:47am On Jun 19, 2019
Americans like to dey destroy soccer teams.. they always put money ahead of the fans

1 Like

Re: Francesco Totti Resigns From Roma After 30 Years, Says Leaving Is Like "Dying" by babala101(m): 10:48am On Jun 19, 2019
Legend of Legends
Re: Francesco Totti Resigns From Roma After 30 Years, Says Leaving Is Like "Dying" by lexyman(m): 10:49am On Jun 19, 2019
James Pallota has succeeded in driving him out , I think the move is to overhaul the whole technical crew ... they frustrated Totti till he resigned ... if he is good he will get a better job ....

Totti breaths football
Re: Francesco Totti Resigns From Roma After 30 Years, Says Leaving Is Like "Dying" by emyrald91(m): 10:51am On Jun 19, 2019
Totti is Roma, Roma is Totti

(1) (2) (Reply)

39 Year-Old Zlatan Ibrahimovic Recalled To Sweden Squad 5 Years After Retiring / Seven Years After, FIFA, NFF, Fans Remember Nigeria’s Legend Rashidi Yekini / Ronaldo Vs Messi In UCL Round Of 16 Draw

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.