Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,129 members, 7,835,803 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:12 PM

Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan (9484 Views)

Poll: What has really failed?

The 6-3-3-4 System: 14% (7 votes)
The Implementation: 85% (42 votes)
This poll has ended

Amaechi's Ministerial Nomination: Buhari Government Has Failed The Moral Test / Cabinet Members Who Failed Jonathan - The Nation / The South Failed Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Princek12(m): 5:18am On Oct 06, 2010
davidylan:

its a very good system and i think we shld adopt it, it will certainly reduce the mad rush that JAMB has become. Many pple in our med schools today have no business being there.

I agree with you. There are too many people in Nigerian medical schools who have no business being there. Besides there should be a separate entrance exam after your first degree for applicants to professional schools. That extra hurdle will weed out those who don't take it seriously.

davidylan:

This kind of lies are just nauseating. Folks posting without verifying their facts.
It is NOT true for medical schools - my brother was at Unilag for a yr and he was only 17 fresh out of secondary school.
The claim is only true for law schools (it is however NOT true that it only changed "some yrs ago"wink . . . you always had to finish a first degree in law (straight out of secondary school) then proceed to the Nigerian Law School for 2 yrs before a call to bar.

I think a 17-yr old who is fresh out of secondary school is too young to be in medical school;  if not for any reason but for the fact that that 17-yr old is probably too young and therefore improvident to decide whether he really wants to be a doctor.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by tpiah: 5:21am On Oct 06, 2010
davidylan:

This kind of lies are just nauseating. Folks posting without verifying their facts.
It is NOT true for medical schools - my brother was at Unilag for a yr and he was only 17 fresh out of secondary school.
The claim is only true for law schools (it is however NOT true that it only changed "some yrs ago"wink . . . you always had to finish a first degree in law (straight out of secondary school) then proceed to the Nigerian Law School for 2 yrs before a call to bar.

The claim is flat out FALSE for pharmacy as well.

When are we going to have folks who truly KNOW what they post around here? All we have are just fulminating illiterates. you only need to take a peek at the education board here with prospective medical students talking about JAMB to debunk this.

oh, sorry oh.

dont blow a gasket over the matter.

I heard about it years ago and thought they'd already implemented the change. Didnt bother double checking with the people at home.

as you can see, the issue was also discussed on nairaland even before i joined:

wonder if anyone in here have ever give it a thought why the Federal Government changed the 6-3-3-4 education pattern. The government has realised that Nigerian graduates are only paper certified.

It's now mandatory that you must have a first degree before you can proceed to study medicine here in Nigeria, LAW and some other courses/studies carry the same price. Do people think they, the FG felt  people should just spend more time in schools.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-2086.0.html

actually, i think i did ask about it from people at home, and was replied in the affirmative. It was long ago so i'm not too sure.

but i think i distinctly remember someone confirming you now need a first degree before you can study medicine in nigeria.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Nobody: 6:01am On Oct 06, 2010
tpiah:

actually, i think i did ask about it from people at home, and was replied in the affirmative. It was long ago so i'm not too sure.

but i think i distinctly remember someone confirming you now need a first degree before you can study medicine in nigeria.

Not implemented. Doubtful if it will anytime soon. I dont even remember it ever being a proposed government policy. quite a couple of my friends just passed through med school and they went in direct from sec school. Medicine and Surgery was still on the JAMB form as late as this yr and it will be on that for 2011.

Princek12:

I agree with you. There are too many people in Nigerian medical schools who have no business being there. Besides there should be a separate entrance exam after your first degree for applicants to professional schools. That extra hurdle will weed out those who don't take it seriously.

I cant say i blame them, a lot of folks think just because you can score As you shld be a med student or be in engineering. No thought is given to what the child is innately born to be because first our society is obsessed with titles and our aim for higher education is a lot about money than productivity.

Princek12:

think a 17-yr old who is fresh out of secondary school is too young to be in medical school;  if not for any reason but for the fact that that 17-yr old is probably too young and therefore improvident to decide whether he really wants to be a doctor.

You'd be amazed. My brother did quite a good job.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by juman(m): 7:54am On Oct 06, 2010
All these problems people are talking about here lies on bad leadership. Our leaders suppose to be reviewing our educational system now and then to know what do we need. Many countries in Europe use this kind of educational system and its perfectly working for them. We don't need more lawyers, we have enough of lawyers. Many of them are jobless. We need scientists, information technology experts and many others in that line.
Many nations don't have oil and they have GDP far more greater than that of Nigeria with useless oil. For example in Asia; Singapore, Malaysia, Australia and Newzealand, these are small small countries that majorly their economy based on knowledge. In Europe there are many tiny countries with GDP greater than that of useless giant of africa GDP, country like Finland, Denmark Austrial, Switzaland and many more. They don't have a drop of oil in their country. Yet they are great nation by any standard.
We don't need oil. Let close all the oil well and go back to agriculture. We have steel at Ajaokuta, yet because of political reason it was closed. What of other mineral resources? NONSENSE.
My fellow ODUA people, we are just wasting away in this country. THis country is false union of nations that they don't like to be together. Why don't we be separated through dialogue?
Even shelf what is the function of OPC? They should be reminding our yoruba leaders the reason why we MUST have our own nation.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by samoks(m): 10:17am On Oct 06, 2010
juman:

All these problems people are talking about here lies on bad leadership. Our leaders suppose to be reviewing our educational system now and then to know what do we need. Many countries in Europe use this kind of educational system and its perfectly working for them. We don't need more lawyers, we have enough of lawyers. Many of them are jobless. We need scientists, information technology experts and many others in that line.
Many nations don't have oil and they have GDP far more greater than that of Nigeria with useless oil. For example in Asia; Singapore, Malaysia, Australia and Newzealand, these are small small countries that majorly their economy based on knowledge. In Europe there are many tiny countries with GDP greater than that of useless giant of africa GDP, country like Finland, Denmark Austrial, Switzaland and many more. They don't have a drop of oil in their country. Yet they are great nation by any standard.
We don't need oil. Let close all the oil well and go back to agriculture. We have steel at Ajaokuta, yet because of political reason it was closed. What of other mineral resources? NONSENSE.
My fellow ODUA people, we are just wasting away in this God forsaking country. THis country is false union of nations that they don't like to be together. Why don't we be separated through dialogue?
Even shelf what is the function of OPC? They should be reminding our yoruba leaders the reason why we MUST have our own nation.

Thank you very much, the truth is bitter, but must be told, The problem is implementation, not the system. How much does an ordinary primary or secondary school teach earn in a year And our foolish legislators are asking for 95m Naira per year salary, this is where the in-balance lies. To me, if we must stay as a NATION, the teachers should be the highest paid set of groups in the country, and by so doing, credible leaders will be groom for the generation unborn. If not, then we must go our seperate ways,
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Nobody: 12:39pm On Oct 06, 2010
Princek12:

The  6 3 3 4 system is fine as it is. The basic problem lies in not upgrading the public school infrastructure, and hiring unqualified teachers. However, one model that I think we should adopt in Nigeria is the admission system to professional schools in the United States. In the United States, you can only be admitted to medical school, law school, pharmacy school, among other professional schools, after you complete your undergraduate degree rather than direct admission from secondary school, like it is Nigeria.
There is certainly no need to adopt the yankee system. As far as the student is qualified and the vacancies exist then he or she should be allowed to study any professional course at the time of their choosing. How many years do some dreamers here expect a student to spend in the university system? angry

As for hiring unqualified teachers well how many graduates of whatever discipline are prepared to live permanently in the rural areas?
Its about rural - urban imbalance rather than an overall shorage of qualified teachers

Be that as it may in the future I certainly envisage that the private sector would play an increasingly dominant role in the running of primary secondary and tertiary schools in the nearest future.That is certainly more realistic than vainly  expecting the FGN Tto pump more money into the system.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Nobody: 12:45pm On Oct 06, 2010
juman:

You must be a real dreamer if you think focusing on agriculture would would have a salutary effect on the economy. That is a very outdated policy. cool
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by asha80(m): 12:50pm On Oct 06, 2010
tensor777:

There is certainly no need to adopt the yankee system. As far as the student is qualified and the vacancies exist then he or she should be allowed to study any professional course at the time of their choosing. How many years do some dreamers here expect a student to spend in the university system? angry

As for hiring unqualified teachers well how many graduates of whatever discipline are prepared to live permanently in the rural areas?
Its about rural - urban imbalance rather than an overall shorage of qualified teachers

Be that as it may in the future I certainly envisage that the private sector would play an increasingly dominant role in the running of primary secondary and tertiary schools in the nearest future.That is certainly more realistic than vainly expecting the FGN Tto pump more money into the system.

that is another problem i think we have been having for a long time.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by marabout(m): 12:02am On Oct 07, 2010
Politicians have to always say something however silly it is.
6-3-3-4 has not failed. The Nigerian system as a whole is what has failed woefully. A resounding F9 in fact.
If you blame 6-3-3-4 for education failure, what do you blame NEPA failure, Nigeria Airawys failure, the gullies in Benin-Lagos and Lagos-Ibadan roads, the rickety Niger Bridge, decaying hospitals and others on??

With so much neglect and corruption, any education model whether 6-3-3-4 or backward 4-3-3-6 will fail.
By the way I know many people who went through that so-called failed system and are doing marvelously well abroad, from South Africa to Europe to America.
Even common private schools that used to be reserved for the less able students with rich enough parents in my time are now doing well and even getting their students into top European and American universities.
uncle Joe, you can do better than this. Don't give past illiterate dictators and their bootlickers the chance to say that even young educated politicians cannot take Nigeria forward.  Don't shame the younger generations.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 12:06am On Oct 07, 2010
Princek12:

I think a 17-yr old who is fresh out of secondary school is too young to be in medical school; if not for any reason but for the fact that that 17-yr old is probably too young and therefore improvident to decide whether he really wants to be a doctor.

Not true.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by samoks(m): 12:17am On Oct 07, 2010
marabout:

6-3-3-4 has not failed. The Nigerian system as a whole is what has failed woefully. A resounding F9 in fact.
If you blame 6-3-3-4 for education failure, what do you blame NEPA failure, Nigeria Airawys failure, the gullies in Benin-Lagos and Lagos-Ibadan roads, the rickety Niger Bridge, decaying hospitals and others on??

With so much neglect and corruption, any education model whether 6-3-3-4 or backward 4-3-3-6 will fail.
By the way I know many people who went through that so-called failed system and are doing marvelously well abroad, from South Africa to Europe to America.
Even common private schools that used to be reserved for the less able students with rich enough parents in my time are now doing well and even getting their students into top European and American universities.
uncle Joe, you can do better than this. Don't give past illiterate dictators and their bootlickers the chance to say that even young educated politicians cannot take Nigeria forward.  Don't shame the younger generations.

Tell him more, GEJ has no plans for this nation, all he knows is party and party, spending billions on 1-10 when the whole nation is in darkness, no roads, no good skools etc,
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Nobody: 12:38pm On Oct 07, 2010
marabout:

A very rambling and contradictory post saying the system has failed because the overall system has failed - which is a very foolish generalisation- and then saying it is successful since graduates are employed in the West!
That said, there is nothing wrong with putting the current system under review to ensure that it meets the overall needs of society which I think is the President's main point.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by lekside44(m): 8:57pm On Oct 07, 2010
well, who is to be blamed for the collapse? is it the student?, no it is the govt 4 not implimenting its policy well. the 6334 system is the best thing in education to happen in this country, but see what they have made of it?
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Nobody: 9:11pm On Oct 07, 2010
^^Nobody said the system has collapsed so why use that word undecided  Do you know what it means for a system to collapse?? shocked
That said, there is nothing so sacrosant about 6-3-3-4 that it should not be eriodically reviewed. That is all
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by marabout(m): 8:33am On Oct 08, 2010
@ Tensor, The wise King Solomon of modern era.

At this moment in history, can you name any aspect of governance in Nigeria that works? Oh sorry FG is able to share proceeds from Niger Delta oil among 36 states. That must be an achievement by Nigerian standards these days. Sorry o if you have people in government and you are enjoying their loot with them. In that case they are all in infallible where you stand.

To butress my point, I saw a Nigerian surgeon (who went through 6-3-3-4 system) do a marvelous job yesterday. To the admiration of UK born, bred and trained surgeons. The point is Nigerians when given a conducive environment, thrive irrespective of the education system in any given country.

GEJ blaming an education system seems to suggest that teachers were paid good salaries on time, modern labs and up-to-date books provided in libraries, villages all over the country have decent classrooms but still there is something very very stubborn about 6-3-3-4 that all efforts have been  in vain.

I did not go through 6-3-3-4 system so no need for me to be biased in favour of it.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by marabout(m): 8:41am On Oct 08, 2010
Tensor,

who said that 6-3-3-4 was a holy cow?

Shouldn't it be normal for any responsible government to fix the errors in any system gradually? Has GEJ identified any specific failings of 6-3-3-4 and what reasonable proposals has he put forward so far?

6-3-3-4 is no worse than 6-5-4 or whatever. You reap what you sow. If you do not invest properly in education, how can you expect excellence?
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by marabout(m): 9:08am On Oct 08, 2010
@ Princek12,

Many countries admit 17 & 18 year olds to Med School and it has not reduced the quality of doctors. Maturity is not necessarily about age.

Nigeria cannot afford to make medicine a postgrad degree only for now.  We need to train many doctors quickly to cope especially as many experienced doctors are " doing Andrew".
Med schools in Naija is currently open to postgrads who chose to but most don't. In the UK, over 30% of med students have degrees ranging BSc/BA/LLB/B.Eng  to PhD.
In the UK, candidates are invited to an interview. The panel typically has at least a doctor, a medical student, and one or two other professionals/lecturers. They consider academic performance (without which you won't get invited in the first palce), commitment to medicine like work experience in hospital, nursing home, hospice, charity work, hobbies, foreign languages spoken etc. Quiz you on your personal statement submitted earlier. Basically looking at how well-rounded an individual you are.
If you can eliminate corruption from the admission process in naija, you can surely put a system in place to admit suitable candidates irrespective of age.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by ourview: 7:04pm On Oct 08, 2010
Sad to note that the system of 6-3-3-4 that produce jonathan and many nigerians is been blamed, let jonathan save the scheme for the benefit of all not to label it failure
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by okeyxyz(m): 11:39pm On Oct 08, 2010
WHY does everything GEJ say just sound SILLY?
this man holds a DOCTORATE DEGREE but he doesn't seem smarter than a 15yr old
"put lipstip on a pig, it's still gonna b a pig"
watever system u set up, b it 6-3-3-4, or 6-5-4, or x-y-z, is never gonna work if there's no concerted & systematic effort to support it. Every year, thousands of nigerians run off abroad to school & it doesn't matter what system they follow, but that d education system is well funded, facilities\equipment r in place & maintained & curriculum continuously optimized to meet industry requiremnts.
but our "DOCTOR" GEJ cannot understand this. He keeps spewing one rubbish after another.
It seems common sense really is not common
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Fan2: 5:33pm On Oct 09, 2010
okay, can we try 4.3.2.7 it might help.guys the system is goooooooooood.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by jude33084(m): 5:41pm On Oct 09, 2010
Yah! He's correct because he knows that he is a product of that FAILURE!
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by suprted(m): 2:27am On Oct 12, 2010
It's not the system, it's the people within the system. It's the style within the system.

For instance, the teachers just dictate their class notes for the kids to parrot in exams. Then there's asking 12/13/14 to decide what career they need to embark on. Then there's the lack of help to kids who are slower than others. Instead they are ridiculed in front of the whole school, their poor performance announced to all.

One such slow child was the keynote speaker at Corona's graduation ceremony this year. Apparently he was very good with computers and now runs his own company. Who knew?

And this was a private school, with a supposedly favourable teacher to student ratio.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by kellylil11: 11:06am On Oct 12, 2010
latest cheat for browsing only available for etisalite and mtn.call me at 08095908310
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Pharoh: 10:37pm On Oct 12, 2010
^^ 

You must be one of the failed products of this eduction system we are discussing now.  angry

How can you be advertising your corruptible business in this same place where we are discussing about our falling education system.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Versus Dora Akunyili / The Richest Square Mile In Africa (pics) / Banks Reject Loan Requests For Fuel Imports

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.