Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,681 members, 7,809,576 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:31 AM

A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) (32028 Views)

Lady Survives Fungal Infection Which Came Off An Artificial Nail She Fixed / STC30 Treats Sickle Cell Anemia / Sickle Cell Patient On Oxygen Dies After Power Outage In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by eWyse: 7:08pm On Jun 20, 2019
Magnifico2000:

What if you can't get an AA girl that will love you?
Good question.

Or even vice-versa
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by eWyse: 7:08pm On Jun 20, 2019
Magnifico2000:

Good question.

Or even vice-versa

P.S: I'm not trying to justify AS+AS though
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Ufedolove: 7:11pm On Jun 20, 2019
careytommy37:
If you are AS, make sure you only marry AA.
I'm AS and will only marry an AA girl
Same here

1 Like

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by kay29000(m): 7:39pm On Jun 20, 2019
careytommy37:

Hmm
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by salt1: 8:15pm On Jun 20, 2019
Trutherme:

I happen to be one of those who battle this dreadful illness till today. First, God is my warrior and my late mother was next. Her support, love and prayers helped carry me through. I still remember mum's powerful prayers and tears on those nights she thought I wasn't going to make it. I also remember the inability to even open my mouth to eat, lack of appetite, lack of blood and eating mostly vegetables prepared by dear mama and taking Ribena drinks.

I once visited a popular hospital in Onitsha that was run by two brothers. I am sorry i won't say their names, but on one of those visits, I remember one of the doctors telling my mother that I wasn't going to make it past 19 or 21 because my situation was more critical than others he had seen or treated. I remember mum's cries from the hospital to my hometown. Well, I am in my late 40's and not going anywhere. I almost gave up or succumbed but my God refused.

Another lifesaver for me came when my Uncle, came back from Uk after his medical studies. His intervention and help was very timely and critical. My uncle evaluated me and took over from there. He reviewed all my pills, (about 7 of them) threw away 5 of them and told me to continue with just Folic Acid, Vitamin, lots of water and vegetables. I honestly don't remember if it's vitamin C or D. But I take folic acid till today.

Also, because I was a teenager, my uncle pulled me aside and told me to personally bring any woman who I wanted to marry to him. Before I could ask why. he told me that it would be tragic for me to marry another AS since I am one. This is very important for those who are AS, please don't marry anyone who has the same AS. Yes, I know there's love and religion but healthy decisions should be taken seriously as well.

I believe that majority of those who deal with this illness are young. Ironically, they don't deserve to go through this tough time at their gae. That's why i agree that they are unsung heroes and warriors. We should try not to dismiss their stories and ordeals. The truth is that some of the things they share openly are minimal, compared to what they feel inside.

I saw it all: the blood donation and purchase by mum and family members who really cared, joint pains, the inability to play soccer in primary and high school because I couldn't run around, sitting down with mum and watching others play games because I couldn't, falling sick unpredictably and unexpectedly, etc

To be continued.

God bless your mother!
I could feel her anguish just reading your post
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by sleekman(m): 8:53pm On Jun 20, 2019
Magnifico2000:

My guy just hide dat prick inside rubber if you don't want a life of despair. This guy warn you, you no wan take. Kontinu.
If you meet a girl then ask for her genotype otherwise your own epistle go long pass this one. The worst part of it is that you no go fit write your own come out in public because you go remember say one fine warrior bobo warned you.

1 Like

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by saeedadepoju: 9:26pm On Jun 20, 2019
udomoh:
A sickler shares story on how he survives sickle cell anemia.

Few days ago, we lost Uche.
She was a gem, a warrior and an ever present member of the Sickle Cell Community.
I remember it was this time last year.
We got talking via the Sickle Cell WhatsApp group, she needed blood and I had a friend of mine come donate for her.
It was then we got to know that we were both on admission in the same hospital (LUTH). She was in the female ward and I was in the male ward.
Uche was super positive! She would wake me up with words of encouragement and would tell me to believe! That we would both win. Of course we did win! And we have won severally since then.
But she didn’t get to win on this particular occasion. She lost it to the dreaded sickle cell.
To you, Henry (whom we also lost a few months back), Mohammad (my brother) and the thousands of warriors who are long gone, continue to rest in power.
I know a whole lot of people get this scary look when they hear about Sickle cell.
Truth be told, sickle cell can be dreadful.
Talk about the long nights, the painful episodes, the stereotypes and all.
But in-spite of all these negativities we’ve had some positives.
There are warriors who live till old age and see their grandchildren. There are those who’ve not recorded any hospital visit in years. We have those who are super healthy and are living their best life.
For us living with sickle cell, information is vital.
Getting adequate information about our condition is not only important but can save us tons of worries.
As today marks the World’s sickle cell day, I’ve listed a few natural management procedures for US and for our caregivers as well.
These procedures have helped me overcome my deepest moments as a warrior and also helped me stay healthy! And I’m super certain it can do so for you.
1. Preventing Dehydration – In case you didn’t know, these past few months have been one for me to forget. Been on admission for at least four times, got my first ever blood transfusion coupled with loads of emotional bargains.
But it all got better when I did one thing! Increase my water intake!
I started taking nothing less than 5 litres of water daily! That’s a lot, yeah? But it surely helped.
The thing is, sickle cell crisis most times is a reaction to low oxygen levels in the blood, which can be caused by extreme physical conditions and dehydration.
Taking at least 4 liters of water daily, coupled with getting adequate rest is key to preventing crisis and staying on top of your game.
2. Avoiding your Triggers – This is also very helpful. Triggers are what leads to your crisis.
For me, it’s dehydration, stress, infection, malaria and funny enough consuming too much of sweet things.
For you, it might be different. It is essential you identify those things, and try to avoid them
3. Diet – Foods play a large role too! Because as warriors, our body needs more nutrients than the average individual, so it’s highly beneficial if we load our foods with varieties.
I won’t be specific here, but make it a habit as a warrior to consume fruits and veggies on a daily basis!
Your body needs folate to produce red blood cells, it needs protein and healthy fats to reduce anaemia symptoms and also it needs lots of antioxidants to fight infections! Don’t deny it!
Make I stop here abeg! The thing don dey long
Lastly, it is our collective duty to help achieve a pain free society!
Nigeria currently has the highest number of people living with sickle cell!
But despite that, you still see young carriers (AS and AS) playing love and believing God will take control. I pity them!
I’m not even concerned about them, I’m concerned about the poor child they intend to bring to a life of pains!
In as much as you can, genotypic compatibility is so important! Please ensure you are compatible before you say I do!
Obrigado! Gracias!

This issue is serious, I couldn't help my self when I saw this write ups.we tend to get frustrated when u don't get what you want and go for what is available but the result is what will always follow you till death.say no to AS+AS.
https://nimedhealth.com.ng/2019/06/19/he-survives-sickle-cell-anemia/?amp
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by idiagbo86(m): 9:32pm On Jun 20, 2019
May God fight with u guys,I actually lost my priceless brother to this dreadful omen years back .May his soul rest in peace ..���,I wish I was this exposed those years.crying...
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by bman2003: 9:46pm On Jun 20, 2019
Solamin

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by pacespot(m): 10:52pm On Jun 20, 2019
impressive
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 11:05pm On Jun 20, 2019
careytommy37:
I am AA and I married AA. AS should marry AS, SS should marry SS. No point replicating the S thing
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by pbet14: 11:12pm On Jun 20, 2019
God is Great

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by ozoebuka1(m): 11:36pm On Jun 20, 2019
Donlexino:
Please is it possible for AA+AA to give birth to AS because i don't understand where my daughter got her AS from?
not possible from what i was taught in school
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Donlexino(m): 12:52am On Jun 21, 2019
Trademark007:
your daughter must have gotten her AS because one of you is a carrier. No AA+AA can ever give u any AS. MY ADVISE TRY AND CROSS CHECK FOR THE AUTHENTICITY OF YOUR INITIAL GENOTYPE TEST or BETTER STILL YOU MIGHT WANNA DO DNA TEST OF YOUR DAUGHTER. TAKE NO OFFENCE!!! smiley
Thanks bro i appreciate
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by careytommy37(m): 7:52am On Jun 21, 2019
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:

I am AA and I married AA. AS should marry AS, SS should marry SS. No point replicating the S thing

Your username says it all
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 9:08am On Jun 21, 2019
careytommy37:

Your username says it all
Go and marry your kind, don't use your AS to spoil our AA angry angry
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by MissionRestore: 9:23am On Jun 21, 2019
udomoh:

As today marks the World’s sickle cell day,
These procedures have helped me overcome my deepest moments as a warrior and also helped me stay healthy! And I’m super certain it can do so for you.
1. Preventing Dehydration – I did one thing! Increase my water intake!
I started taking nothing less than 5 litres of water daily!
The thing is, sickle cell crisis most times is a reaction to low oxygen levels in the blood, which can be caused by extreme physical conditions and dehydration.
Taking at least 4 liters of water daily, coupled with getting adequate rest is key to preventing crisis and staying on top of your game.
2. Avoiding your Triggers – This is also very helpful. Triggers are what leads to your crisis.
For me, it’s dehydration, stress, infection, malaria and funny enough consuming too much of sweet things.
3. Diet – Foods play a large role too! Because as warriors, our body needs more nutrients than the average individual.I won’t be specific here, but make it a habit as a warrior to consume fruits and veggies on a daily basis!
Your body needs folate to produce red blood cells, it needs protein and healthy fats to reduce anaemia symptoms and also it needs lots of antioxidants to fight infections! Don’t deny it!

Thanks for this informative thread. It will certainly help lots of warriors and care givers.
Let me add that the "Staying Healthy" strategy should be centered on three pillars:
Testing- at least once a month;
Diet- low carb with high fat, plenty of veggies ; and
Supplements - this is super helpful these days if you get it right.
Total body scan tells you where you are lacking and you complement with recommended supplement. Then Test again after a month to confirm that progress has been made and you continue based on new results to keep healthy and away from hospital admission. I hate such admission.

Lastly GIVE THANKS. Yes let's thank Elohim for all the help and love we receive.
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by careytommy37(m): 9:32am On Jun 21, 2019
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:

Go and marry your kind, don't use your AS to spoil our AA angry angry
See MUMU cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 9:45am On Jun 21, 2019
careytommy37:

See MUMU cheesy cheesy cheesy
grin grin grin
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Dreamz77(m): 11:02am On Jun 21, 2019
udomoh:

Few days ago, we lost Uche.
She was a gem, a warrior and an ever present member of the Sickle Cell Community.
I remember it was this time last year.
We got talking via the Sickle Cell WhatsApp group, she needed blood and I had a friend of mine come donate for her.
It was then we got to know that we were both on admission in the same hospital (LUTH). She was in the female ward and I was in the male ward.
Uche was super positive! She would wake me up with words of encouragement and would tell me to believe! That we would both win. Of course we did win! And we have won severally since then.
But she didn’t get to win on this particular occasion. She lost it to the dreaded sickle cell.
To you, Henry (whom we also lost a few months back), Mohammad (my brother) and the thousands of warriors who are long gone, continue to rest in power.
I know a whole lot of people get this scary look when they hear about Sickle cell.
Talk about the long nights, the painful episodes, the stereotypes and all.
But in-spite of all these negativities we’ve had some positives.
There are warriors who live till old age and see their grandchildren. There are those who’ve not recorded any hospital visit in years. We have those who are super healthy and are living their best life.
Getting adequate information about our condition is not only important but can save us tons of worries.
As today marks the World’s sickle cell day, I’ve listed a few natural management procedures for US and for our caregivers as well.
1. Preventing Dehydration – In case you didn’t know, these past few months have been one for me to forget. Been on admission for at least four times, got my first ever blood transfusion coupled with loads of emotional bargains.
But it all got better when I did one thing! Increase my water intake!
I started taking nothing less than 5 litres of water daily! That’s a lot, yeah? But it surely helped.
For you, it might be different. It is essential you identify those things, and try to avoid them
3. Diet – Foods play a large role too! Because as warriors, our body needs more nutrients than the average individual, so it’s highly beneficial if we load our foods with varieties.
I won’t be specific here, but make it a habit as a warrior to consume fruits and veggies on a daily basis!
Make I stop here abeg! The thing don dey long
Nigeria currently has the highest number of people living with sickle cell!
But despite that, you still see young carriers (AS and AS) playing love and believing God will take control. I pity them!
I’m not even concerned about them, I’m concerned about the poor child they intend to bring to a life of pains!
In as much as you can, genotypic compatibility is so important! Please ensure you are compatible before you say I do!
Obrigado! Gracias!

Amazing soul!You are a warrior indeed.
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by NobleAngell(f): 8:39pm On Jun 21, 2019
ginovera:

Pls share...
OK. Send me a private message.
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Kayboy123(m): 9:02pm On Jun 21, 2019
saajus:
After your NYSC, apply to schools abroad for Masters and stay put. Cold weather region is more favorable and you will have access to great medical care.

cold weather? Bros, check the source of your info.
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Donlexino(m): 11:55pm On Jun 21, 2019
Trademark007:
your daughter must have gotten her AS because one of you is a carrier. No AA+AA can ever give u any AS. MY ADVISE TRY AND CROSS CHECK FOR THE AUTHENTICITY OF YOUR INITIAL GENOTYPE TEST or BETTER STILL YOU MIGHT WANNA DO DNA TEST OF YOUR DAUGHTER. TAKE NO OFFENCE!!! smiley
U are right,i went to two different labs yesterday to conduct another test and i was confirmed AS by both hospital labs so my daughter got d AS from me because my wife tested AA twice too.
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Donlexino(m): 11:58pm On Jun 21, 2019
sisipelebe:
It's not possible. Please, sit your wife down and ask her some sensitive questions. I just hope she tells you the truth. I don't want to say what's on my mind.
Is been confirmed now,am the AS carrier while wifey is AA
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Donlexino(m): 12:01am On Jun 22, 2019
Trademark007:
Thanks bro...my mind is settled now had to go to two different hospital for lab test yesterday and it was confirmed that i am AS
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Donlexino(m): 12:02am On Jun 22, 2019
charliboy654:

It's not possible, go back and do the test for u, ur wife and daughter. Be sure that's u n ur wife are AA.
Thanks so much went for the test again yesterday and i was confirmed AS by two different hospitals
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Donlexino(m): 12:04am On Jun 22, 2019
Hipsofagoddess:

Go and check another hospital. Some hospitals make mistake on peoples genotype
is settled now she got the AS from me

1 Like

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Donlexino(m): 12:07am On Jun 22, 2019
mhizsuzzy:

It is not possible unless there is a mistake during the period of checking the genotype...Try other lab most preferably federal hospital lab
Yeah did that test more than 20 years ago when i was in school so probably dey made a mistake then so i had to redo the test yesterday at 2 different hospitals after seeing the comments here which prompted to rush to the hospital yesterday and i was confirmed AS by both...yawa for gas oh
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Donlexino(m): 12:11am On Jun 22, 2019
Thanks guys your comments made me rushed to the hospital yesterday to confirm where that AS came from and thank God it was settled that it came from me...wetin i for judge
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by ginovera: 6:24am On Jun 22, 2019
NobleAngell:
OK. Send me a private message.

Pls lets take it up here...adabhie.kingsley@yahoo.com. Thanks
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by mhizsuzzy(f): 6:25am On Jun 22, 2019
Donlexino:
Yeah did that test more than 20 years ago when i was in school so probably dey made a mistake then so i had to redo the test yesterday at 2 different hospitals after seeing the comments here which prompted to rush to the hospital yesterday and i was confirmed AS by both...yawa for gas oh

Thank God you went for the test before confronting her...I am happy it was just a medical error

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

#JusticeForOmolara: Omolara Omoyajuwolo's Death & Beachlan Hospital's Negligence / Please Help (mouth Odour) / Hotels, School Dormitories To Be Used As Isolation Centres - FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.