Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:22 AM

A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) (32038 Views)

Lady Survives Fungal Infection Which Came Off An Artificial Nail She Fixed / STC30 Treats Sickle Cell Anemia / Sickle Cell Patient On Oxygen Dies After Power Outage In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Onlydaughter(f): 2:36pm On Jun 20, 2019
Seeing them during crisis is very bitter. Lost a friend who couldn't fight the pain no more. May his soul rest on.

Know your genotype today, visit genetic counselors to know if you're a carrier for not just sickle cell anaemia but also other genetic disorders.
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by ijeomaustino: 2:42pm On Jun 20, 2019
Very insightful, let's be guided in our choice of life partners.
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by bolinjkezzy(m): 2:47pm On Jun 20, 2019
Pascopele:
Remember when people had diaries and got mad when someone read them? Now they put everything online and get mad when people don't.
Change is constant
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Akpan107(m): 2:47pm On Jun 20, 2019
Magnifico2000:

What if you can't get an AA girl that will love you?
They are many... there are girls that need sincere men...

I am AS and my wife to be is AA.

Once you like a girl, one month into your friendship, let her go for genotype text.

AAs are many o.

4 Likes

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by MobilityExpress: 2:51pm On Jun 20, 2019
AA and AA is my own!
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Donlexino(m): 2:51pm On Jun 20, 2019
Gkemz:
Warriors indeed. I have an AS friend who's married to AS despite all the warnings he insisted on marrying a fellow carrier believing that God will give him AA offsprings. Even me wey be AA no fit go for AS partner because i don't want to give birth to any AS even though the chances are little but i don't wanna take any chances.
Please is it possible for AA+AA to give birth to AS because i don't understand where my daughter got her AS from?
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Lovelyn451(f): 2:56pm On Jun 20, 2019
Gkemz:
Warriors indeed. I have an AS friend who's married to AS despite all the warnings he insisted on marrying a fellow carrier believing that God will give him AA offsprings. Even me wey be AA no fit go for AS partner because i don't want to give birth to any AS even though the chances are little but i don't wanna take any chances.
goodluck...tcheww

1 Like

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by ikeno(m): 2:58pm On Jun 20, 2019
whenever I have my crisis I feel like dying cuz d pain is so excruciatingly painful

9 Likes

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jun 20, 2019
udomoh:
A sickler shares story on how he survives sickle cell anemia.

Few days ago, we lost Uche.
She was a gem, a warrior and an ever present member of the Sickle Cell Community.
I remember it was this time last year.
We got talking via the Sickle Cell WhatsApp group, she needed blood and I had a friend of mine come donate for her.
It was then we got to know that we were both on admission in the same hospital (LUTH). She was in the female ward and I was in the male ward.
Uche was super positive! She would wake me up with words of encouragement and would tell me to believe! That we would both win. Of course we did win! And we have won severally since then.
But she didn’t get to win on this particular occasion. She lost it to the dreaded sickle cell.
To you, Henry (whom we also lost a few months back), Mohammad (my brother) and the thousands of warriors who are long gone, continue to rest in power.
I know a whole lot of people get this scary look when they hear about Sickle cell.
Truth be told, sickle cell can be dreadful.
Talk about the long nights, the painful episodes, the stereotypes and all.
But in-spite of all these negativities we’ve had some positives.
There are warriors who live till old age and see their grandchildren. There are those who’ve not recorded any hospital visit in years. We have those who are super healthy and are living their best life.
For us living with sickle cell, information is vital.
Getting adequate information about our condition is not only important but can save us tons of worries.
As today marks the World’s sickle cell day, I’ve listed a few natural management procedures for US and for our caregivers as well.
These procedures have helped me overcome my deepest moments as a warrior and also helped me stay healthy! And I’m super certain it can do so for you.
1. Preventing Dehydration – In case you didn’t know, these past few months have been one for me to forget. Been on admission for at least four times, got my first ever blood transfusion coupled with loads of emotional bargains.
But it all got better when I did one thing! Increase my water intake!
I started taking nothing less than 5 litres of water daily! That’s a lot, yeah? But it surely helped.
The thing is, sickle cell crisis most times is a reaction to low oxygen levels in the blood, which can be caused by extreme physical conditions and dehydration.
Taking at least 4 liters of water daily, coupled with getting adequate rest is key to preventing crisis and staying on top of your game.
2. Avoiding your Triggers – This is also very helpful. Triggers are what leads to your crisis.
For me, it’s dehydration, stress, infection, malaria and funny enough consuming too much of sweet things.
For you, it might be different. It is essential you identify those things, and try to avoid them
3. Diet – Foods play a large role too! Because as warriors, our body needs more nutrients than the average individual, so it’s highly beneficial if we load our foods with varieties.
I won’t be specific here, but make it a habit as a warrior to consume fruits and veggies on a daily basis!
Your body needs folate to produce red blood cells, it needs protein and healthy fats to reduce anaemia symptoms and also it needs lots of antioxidants to fight infections! Don’t deny it!
Make I stop here abeg! The thing don dey long
Lastly, it is our collective duty to help achieve a pain free society!
Nigeria currently has the highest number of people living with sickle cell!
But despite that, you still see young carriers (AS and AS) playing love and believing God will take control. I pity them!
I’m not even concerned about them, I’m concerned about the poor child they intend to bring to a life of pains!
In as much as you can, genotypic compatibility is so important! Please ensure you are compatible before you say I do!
Obrigado! Gracias!

https://nimedhealth.com.ng/2019/06/19/he-survives-sickle-cell-anemia/?amp

This is beautiful. But truth be told, with God and believing he can do it, because his the God of the impossible, there is no sickle cell that wouldn't bow, especially when you call in the name of Jesus. Being sickle-cell isn't a death sentence but not accepting Christ Jesus as your Lord and personal saviour and walking and trusting him to overlook your health and life is a DEATH SENTENCE. So sicklers, this is the cure. Follow it and I promise you, you won't have any crisis or pain or sickle cell symptoms in your life. And you'll live a very ripeful and glorious age. Trust God and it would be possible for you.

God bless you.

5 Likes

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Olusholasimon(m): 3:09pm On Jun 20, 2019
Fighters who fights on daily basis ?
You will always win & I pray that there will be a preferable solution to it soon because it's not you who really made the mistake.

3 Likes

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by andico34: 3:12pm On Jun 20, 2019
udomoh:

Few days ago, we lost Uche.
She was a gem, a warrior and an ever present member of the Sickle Cell Community.
I remember it was this time last year.
We got talking via the Sickle Cell WhatsApp group, she needed blood and I had a friend of mine come donate for her.
It was then we got to know that we were both on admission in the same hospital (LUTH). She was in the female ward and I was in the male ward.
Uche was super positive! She would wake me up with words of encouragement and would tell me to believe! That we would both win. Of course we did win! And we have won severally since then.
But she didn’t get to win on this particular occasion. She lost it to the dreaded sickle cell.
To you, Henry (whom we also lost a few months back), Mohammad (my brother) and the thousands of warriors who are long gone, continue to rest in power.
I know a whole lot of people get this scary look when they hear about Sickle cell.
Truth be told, sickle cell can be dreadful.
Talk about the long nights, the painful episodes, the stereotypes and all.
But in-spite of all these negativities we’ve had some positives.
There are warriors who live till old age and see their grandchildren. There are those who’ve not recorded any hospital visit in years. We have those who are super healthy and are living their best life.
For us living with sickle cell, information is vital.
Getting adequate information about our condition is not only important but can save us tons of worries.
As today marks the World’s sickle cell day, I’ve listed a few natural management procedures for US and for our caregivers as well.
These procedures have helped me overcome my deepest moments as a warrior and also helped me stay healthy! And I’m super certain it can do so for you.
1. Preventing Dehydration – In case you didn’t know, these past few months have been one for me to forget. Been on admission for at least four times, got my first ever blood transfusion coupled with loads of emotional bargains.
But it all got better when I did one thing! Increase my water intake!
I started taking nothing less than 5 litres of water daily! That’s a lot, yeah? But it surely helped.
The thing is, sickle cell crisis most times is a reaction to low oxygen levels in the blood, which can be caused by extreme physical conditions and dehydration.
Taking at least 4 liters of water daily, coupled with getting adequate rest is key to preventing crisis and staying on top of your game.
2. Avoiding your Triggers – This is also very helpful. Triggers are what leads to your crisis.
For me, it’s dehydration, stress, infection, malaria and funny enough consuming too much of sweet things.
For you, it might be different. It is essential you identify those things, and try to avoid them
3. Diet – Foods play a large role too! Because as warriors, our body needs more nutrients than the average individual, so it’s highly beneficial if we load our foods with varieties.
I won’t be specific here, but make it a habit as a warrior to consume fruits and veggies on a daily basis!
Your body needs folate to produce red blood cells, it needs protein and healthy fats to reduce anaemia symptoms and also it needs lots of antioxidants to fight infections! Don’t deny it!
Make I stop here abeg! The thing don dey long
Lastly, it is our collective duty to help achieve a pain free society!
But despite that, you still see young carriers (AS and AS) playing love and believing God will take control. I pity them!
I’m not even concerned about them, I’m concerned about the poor child they intend to bring to a life of pains!
In as much as you can, genotypic compatibility is so important! Please ensure you are compatible before you say I do!
Obrigado! Gracias!

https://nimedhealth.com.ng/2019/06/19/he-survives-sickle-cell-anemia/?amp

you can also take 4 folic acid tabs daily instead of one

during painful episodes take two to three drops of dioscovite with 4 tablets of folic acid plus your pain medication

or your pain medication plus 4 tablets of folic acid could serve
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by careytommy37(m): 3:17pm On Jun 20, 2019
Donlexino:
Please is it possible for AA+AA to give birth to AS because i don't understand where my daughter got her AS from?

Are you serious?
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Hexilon: 3:19pm On Jun 20, 2019
Donlexino:
No
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by RiyaGoddess(f): 3:21pm On Jun 20, 2019
You are a warrior

2 Likes

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Arkmanbuddy(m): 3:22pm On Jun 20, 2019
Pascopele:
Remember when people had diaries and got mad when someone read them? Now they put everything online and get mad when people don't.

Great post...quite thoughtful!
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by KanuSE: 3:22pm On Jun 20, 2019
andico34:

you can also take 4 folic acid tabs daily instead of one during painful episodes take two to three drops of dioscovite with 4 tablets of folic acid plus your pain medication

or your pain medication plus 4 tablets of folic acid could serve

@bolded,

This is how you Nigerians kill yourselves with overdose - is folic acid an analgesic drug?

7 Likes

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Arkmanbuddy(m): 3:23pm On Jun 20, 2019
Pascopele:

Great post, quite thoughtful!
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by KanuSE: 3:30pm On Jun 20, 2019
Donlexino:

Lolcheesy, better not say what's on my mind.

...but do your research, read up on Sickle cell anaemia - you will learn a lot.

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by AbbeyvanPersie(m): 3:32pm On Jun 20, 2019
sotall:
That name warrior

I don't understand
They are people who can't retreat in the kind of war(sickness with great pain) they're fighting, they can only keep fighting(fighting pain) till the end even if their enemy(death) has higher chance in the war. They are healthy today but tomorrow is not predictable at all, that's how they've lived. They are the real WARRIORS.

12 Likes

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Bmaster(m): 3:34pm On Jun 20, 2019
Eberejesus111:

This is beautiful. But truth be told, with God and believing he can do it, because his the God of the impossible, there is no sickle cell that wouldn't bow, especially when you call in the name of Jesus. Being sickle-cell isn't a death sentence but not accepting Christ Jesus as your Lord and personal saviour and walking and trusting him to overlook your health and life is a DEATH SENTENCE. So sicklers, this is the cure. Follow it and I promise you, you won't have any crisis or pain or sickle cell symptoms in your life. And you'll live a very ripeful and glorious age. Trust God and it would be possible for you.

God bless you.
seriously?..mm?
is it not Same God that created Either ADAM Or EVE With 'AS' genotype.?
or was it Acquired?
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by ImaIma1(f): 3:42pm On Jun 20, 2019
Magnifico2000:

What if you can't get an AA girl that will love you?

He will keep searching till he finds, rather than bring children into the world to suffer and see them die.

6 Likes

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Bbbwings: 3:44pm On Jun 20, 2019
Donlexino:
Hmm cheesy cheesy
This your own strong o cheesy cheesy
Go do paternity test.

1 Like

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jun 20, 2019
Bmaster:
seriously?..mm?
is it not Same God that created Either ADAM Or EVE With 'AS' genotype.?
or was it Acquired?

Dear brother, first of all there is a difference between the spiritual and the physical world you live in, in which the use of our five senses are compulsory.

Let me tell you, do you know when God made all thing, he made everything beautiful, good, he was glad. How would God be glad that he brought, HIV, or cancer or sickle-cell. That's the question?

All this are from one person, the Devil. When Adam sinned at the garden of Eden, he have his authority to the devil. Remember God had put all things under Adams feet, he was a ruler, nature was even subjected to him. But when he gave his authority to the devil through his wife Eve. The devil could now manipulate all of God's creation, making it to his own appeal. This is the reason why you see these diseases and infirmities and all other things that plague man presently in this world.

But all hope isn't lost, if you can accept Christ Jesus as your Lord and personal saviour. He would come into your life and change your state and your estate. He'll make all things become new, by giving you that authority and a more greater authority through Christ Jesus.

With Jesus you can be above any form of sickeness, as far as the thing has a name you can be way above it. Whether is HIV, cancer, Ebola, sickle-cell, as far as it has a name. And even above all things in this world generally.

If you'll accept him now, I'll like you to say this words with me, and automatically he'll be brought into your life.
O Lord God, I believe with all my heart in Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God. I believe He died for me and God raised Him from the dead. I believe He's alive today. I confess with my mouth that Jesus Christ is the Lord of my life from this day. Through Him and in His Name, I have eternal life; I'm born again. Thank you Lord, for saving my soul! I'm now a child of God .

If you've said this, Congratulations to you, you're now a child of God. And I'm so excited and happy for you smiley grin

2 Likes

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by inspitation: 3:48pm On Jun 20, 2019
sotall:
That name warrior

I don't understand

You will understand when you see them in crisis

1 Like

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by inspitation: 3:55pm On Jun 20, 2019
Donlexino:

AA AND AA Can NEVER have AS Maybe both you and your wife should go for Genotype test again to be sure. I used to think i was AA and did a test that shows i'm AA but never knew i was really AS until i was about to get married i did the test different places which proves i was really AS

So do it again and if confirmed you are both AA then my brother as your wife some questions

5 Likes

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by chudi55: 3:55pm On Jun 20, 2019
I want to be part of this whatssap Group in other to help those sicklers in need of money and blood cus i have bn dealth with since i lost a friend of mine Slim G.. may your soul rest in power

2 Likes

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Augustlove: 4:07pm On Jun 20, 2019
ikeno:
whenever I have my crisis I feel like dying cuz d pain is so excruciatingly painful
stay strong dear one

2 Likes

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by CAPSLOCKED: 4:11pm On Jun 20, 2019
udomoh:

[/color]But despite that, you still see young carriers (AS and AS) playing love and believing God will take control. I pity them![/color]

BOTTOM LINE, GOD DOESN'T DO SHĮT.

THIS IS A FACT THAT WE ALL KNOW BUT WE PREFER TO LIE TO OURSELVES AND CONTINUE TO SWIM IN SELF-DELUSION.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by CanadaPR: 4:19pm On Jun 20, 2019
...God will satisfy you all with sound health and long life.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

#JusticeForOmolara: Omolara Omoyajuwolo's Death & Beachlan Hospital's Negligence / Hotels, School Dormitories To Be Used As Isolation Centres - FG / Fear Of Ebola: Villagers Flee From The Sight Of Red Cross And Western Doctors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.