Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,805 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:40 AM

Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" (32004 Views)

Little Boy Tends To His Kid Sister As Mom Writes A Test (VIDEO) / What are the words that easily catch your attention? / THESE ARE THE WORDS THAT SUSTAINED MANDELA IN PRISON FOR 27 YEARS & 6 MONTHS {*} (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by Houseofglam7(f): 8:41am On Jun 21, 2019
cool
Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by MChaze25(m): 8:41am On Jun 21, 2019
correctguy0900:
If my bro calls me kid brother, me i go call am kid elder bro. Simple
Obodo...lol
Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by Nobody: 8:42am On Jun 21, 2019
Ok, Can I call my 40 year old sister my little sister?
Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by EkunKekere: 8:42am On Jun 21, 2019
Bros, È̩ gọ̀ tò báyí? Where will I find data to upload 700 page manuscript? grin Show this screenshot to your imam and ask him to tell you the truth. Warn him against using takiyya on you grin

Jeposky:

Oya... show us those copies of Quran, to show you're not displaying your ignorance characters and lying habit this time again.
Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by addey44: 8:53am On Jun 21, 2019
I agree totally with this post. I think it's the American version of English that has brought upon us this kid sibling matter. It is certainly wrong.
Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by anochuko01(m): 8:56am On Jun 21, 2019
Im 8, 11 and 13 years older than my sisters...theyre all my KID SISTERS. i was napkin tire!
Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by Psoul(m): 8:57am On Jun 21, 2019
Abeg leave it like that for us. That is our own interpretation for younger brothers and sisters. If Britain don't like it that way, let them stay in their country. Na wetin sef.
Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by YoungG12(m): 9:09am On Jun 21, 2019
correctguy0900:
grin grin

1 Like

Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by obinnawhyte(m): 9:09am On Jun 21, 2019
Jman06:
There are a lot of words and phrases which Nigerians Use wrongly and these include the words; "kid brother" and "kid sister". Please stop referring to your YOUNGER SISTER or YOUNGER BROTHER as " kid sister " or "kid brother" if they're no longer kids or if you're just a few years older than them. I have heard many people use such terms to refer to siblings whom they're just a few years older than and I think it's only proper if we put things in the right perspective.

Your "kid sister" or "kid brother" is a sibling born when you're already grown into adulthood or adolescence at worst, not just any sibling who's younger than you. Please take note.

Please look for better thing to bother about...whether kid bro , kid sister or younger sis, bro, the main thing is that we understand the message being passed. The person in quote is your younger sibling whether you're 20, 100 or 2 years older to me is inconsequential. English is only but another man's language not wisdom.

1 Like

Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by bonnyhope: 9:12am On Jun 21, 2019
Jman06:
There are a lot of words and phrases which Nigerians Use wrongly and these include the words; "kid brother" and "kid sister". Please stop referring to your YOUNGER SISTER or YOUNGER BROTHER as " kid sister " or "kid brother" if they're no longer kids or if you're just a few years older than them. I have heard many people use such terms to refer to siblings whom they're just a few years older than and I think it's only proper if we put things in the right perspective.

Your "kid sister" or "kid brother" is a sibling born when you're already grown into adulthood or adolescence at worst, not just any sibling who's younger than you. Please take note.

thank you for this post....i have heard many used that phrase
i dont know how they came about that.

1 Like

Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by chiboy1116: 9:15am On Jun 21, 2019
correctguy0900:
correct guy wink

1 Like

Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by koolbe(m): 9:18am On Jun 21, 2019
Kid is a baby goat.
Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by bluefilm: 9:25am On Jun 21, 2019
Jman06:

Hmmm... na wa o!

See warning!!!

So Jman06, you will come an' tell me what to call my kid brother abi?

Thunder!!!
Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by bynomzy(f): 9:36am On Jun 21, 2019
Most of us know this. Even I call my younger ones Kid, I deliberately do it to piss em .
Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by GreatPunter(m): 9:42am On Jun 21, 2019
phransix2:
Take the word Kid out completely. I think little brother or sister is even more appropriate.

Kid means.

A young goat.
The meat of a young goat.
A young antelope.

Kid should be used when trying to explain behavioural eg. He acts like a kid (young person)

My own take sha...
Actually my younger brother or younger sister is the apposite adjective to use.

It's either elder brother/sister or younger brother/sister
Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by Deepfeel(m): 9:55am On Jun 21, 2019
Jman06:

Op tell that to the American white men too especially the old men they call every young man kid
Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by RiyaGoddess(f): 10:05am On Jun 21, 2019
Noted
Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by standgifted(m): 10:31am On Jun 21, 2019
Lol... "kid brother" though an informal English, is actually correct. Don't come and confuse us��
Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by MDBoss(m): 10:43am On Jun 21, 2019
There is nothing like "older brother". It is "elder brother".
Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by Gabson001(m): 10:45am On Jun 21, 2019
If u can't tell me what the k in knife is for or why iyon is spelt iron.. Forget it english na scam
Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by Zoe99(f): 10:55am On Jun 21, 2019
I think it's only appropriate if the sibling is at least 7 years younger.
Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by Shhhh01(f): 10:58am On Jun 21, 2019
Jman06:

na wa. This guy sounds angry o.
Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by GenFunction: 11:28am On Jun 21, 2019
phransix2:
Take the word Kid out completely. I think little brother or sister is even more appropriate.

Kid means.

A young goat.
The meat of a young goat.
A young antelope.

Kid should be used when trying to explain behavioural eg. He acts like a kid (young person)

My own take sha...
..........u smart
Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by Chapence: 1:54pm On Jun 21, 2019
You're kidding
Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by parissaint(m): 1:57pm On Jun 21, 2019
simigold:
Which means we should refrain from using "Kid"napper for any adult taken away by force or without consent too Mr Op?

Mr poster, comman answer this man abi na lady self
Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by ArchAngelos999: 2:06pm On Jun 21, 2019
EkunKekere:
For a moment I thought this was supposed to be another pearl of wisdom from the allauakbarians.

[img]https://images./5Bsi4BE7wahkKrp0IhRzf4.jpg[/img]

u don minit
Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jun 21, 2019
Jman06:

Even Cousin Brother, is your the brother of your cousin not also your cousin.
Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by Bahddo(m): 2:22pm On Jun 21, 2019
There was a time the word 'gay' first of all meant 'happy' and could be used to describe one's day. 'Pussy' also meant cat, and was so used in children's songs.

Bottom line is, English is dynamic. It is defined by popular usage and not the other way round. That single reason is why we don't speak the same English people spoke during Shakespeare's time, or during the time of the translators of the King James version.
Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by 9jaRealist: 3:11pm On Jun 21, 2019
Jman06:

First, “kid brother” and “kid sister” are NOT Nigerian phrases...

Nonetheless, there’s nothing particularly wrong with the phrase...
Especially because it is usually generally used in the context denoting you always consider the person as the “kid” sibling you grew up with.

If there’s any phraseology issue with Nigerian English...
It is the phrases “Junior Brother” or “Junior Sister” (and don’t even get me started on “Relations” grin)!
>
Re: Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" by 9jaRealist: 3:15pm On Jun 21, 2019
MDBoss:
There is nothing like "older brother". It is "elder brother".

Using the term “an older brother” is actually the more appropriate of those two...
>

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Aregbesola Commissions The Kings University Ode-Omu / Life In The University... The Few Unpopular Truths - Meme Collections / UNIBEN - 2016/2017 Postgraduate Application Form Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.