Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,544 members, 7,812,709 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:50 PM

Woman Named Marijuana Pepsi Earns Doctoral Degree - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Woman Named Marijuana Pepsi Earns Doctoral Degree (23260 Views)

5 Things No One Will Tell You About Smoking Marijuana. / The First Person Ever To Receive A Doctoral Degree From A Nigerian University / A School Named After Sir Emeka Offor In Katsina State (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Woman Named Marijuana Pepsi Earns Doctoral Degree by ryloy: 7:59pm On Jun 20, 2019
A woman named Marijuana Pepsi Vandyck earned her Ph.D. from Cardinal Stritch University in Wisconsin with the help of her dissertation, titled: "Black names in white classrooms: Teacher behaviors and student perceptions."

Vandyck, who was born Marijuana Pepsi Jackson 46 years ago, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel in an interview published Wednesday that she was inspired to choose her dissertation topic on unique black names after living through her own fair share of experiences with her name.

"People make such a big deal out of it, I couldn't get away from it," she told the paper.

Vandyck, who earned her doctoral degree in higher education leadership last month, said she asked black students with similarly unique names at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, where she earned her Bachelor's Degree, about how they were treated differently than other students by teachers.

She said a number of students she interviewed each reported different treatment from their teachers. One experience Vandyck said she and the other students shared was being singled out by a teacher for their names during class attendance.

Vandyck recalled her experience being called out by a teacher at Whitewater in the interview.

"I'm sorry," Marijuana remembered saying in response to the professor. "You didn't ask anyone else that. Why are you asking me? My name is Marijuana, thank you."

Though Vandyck works full time at Beloit College as the head of a program that helps first-generation college students and those from low-income backgrounds, she said she is also considering working as a professor after earning her doctoral degree.

And, despite her name, Vandyck set the record straight that she doesn't partake in marijuana use and she barely drinks soda.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/449573-a-woman-named-marijuana-pepsi-earns-doctoral-degree-with?amp&__twitter_impression=true

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Woman Named Marijuana Pepsi Earns Doctoral Degree by czarina(f): 8:55pm On Jun 20, 2019
What a name!
Re: Woman Named Marijuana Pepsi Earns Doctoral Degree by Rednaxelot: 4:23am On Jun 21, 2019
We are more discriminatory towards name here,
If she lived in Nigeria with that kinda name, she would have probably changed the name cos of everyone’s reaction towards it.

There are similar names like bush, rice et al in US and no one cares

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Woman Named Marijuana Pepsi Earns Doctoral Degree by chiventoline(m): 8:54am On Jun 21, 2019
Marijuana!!?? Thats why she's smoking hot grin grin grin wink

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Woman Named Marijuana Pepsi Earns Doctoral Degree by blackaxe78: 8:54am On Jun 21, 2019
Cool name!

Sound sexy.

May be I could remodify and name my baby girl Marijuana Cocaine

3 Likes

Re: Woman Named Marijuana Pepsi Earns Doctoral Degree by JobNowNowNg: 8:55am On Jun 21, 2019
shocked

With that name, she's on the intersection between two controversies - one a substance that naturalists say it's natural and the other one naturalists say is artificial.
But since she didn't choose her name, no one can accuse her.

I wish her a magnificent life ahead.

2 Likes

Re: Woman Named Marijuana Pepsi Earns Doctoral Degree by Qpetz: 8:55am On Jun 21, 2019
She's dope smiley
Congrats.

1 Like

Re: Woman Named Marijuana Pepsi Earns Doctoral Degree by igwedubai2(m): 8:56am On Jun 21, 2019
Eyaaa, beautiful, and is not by name but destiny
Re: Woman Named Marijuana Pepsi Earns Doctoral Degree by chibike007(m): 8:56am On Jun 21, 2019
goodluck to her
Re: Woman Named Marijuana Pepsi Earns Doctoral Degree by Homers123(m): 8:57am On Jun 21, 2019
She looks dope like 'Juana.
Re: Woman Named Marijuana Pepsi Earns Doctoral Degree by materialproject: 8:57am On Jun 21, 2019
Ok
Re: Woman Named Marijuana Pepsi Earns Doctoral Degree by AgreatMan: 8:58am On Jun 21, 2019
Marijuana
Pepsi
vanDYCK

Haba, only u carry 3 strong names. If na me, I for do another naming ceremony for myself. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Woman Named Marijuana Pepsi Earns Doctoral Degree by ajapz(m): 8:58am On Jun 21, 2019
If na for naija, Police and jail will be her regular customer for misleading people with her name

2 Likes

Re: Woman Named Marijuana Pepsi Earns Doctoral Degree by hisexcellency34: 9:00am On Jun 21, 2019
Go and work for Akeredolu in Ondo

2 Likes

Re: Woman Named Marijuana Pepsi Earns Doctoral Degree by Yahman1(m): 9:00am On Jun 21, 2019
Marijuana has never done me wrong... with Cold Pepsi: Perfect Combo !

3 Likes

Re: Woman Named Marijuana Pepsi Earns Doctoral Degree by PMB007: 9:00am On Jun 21, 2019
ryloy:

"I'm sorry," Marijuana remembered saying in response to the professor. "You didn't ask anyone else that. Why are you asking me? My name is Marijuana, thank you."

Try responding to an average Nigerian lecturer this way, you'll spend your extra years telling the story... embarassed

4 Likes

Re: Woman Named Marijuana Pepsi Earns Doctoral Degree by partnerbizz5(f): 9:01am On Jun 21, 2019
Na only marijuana pepsi.

Cocaine mirinda

Let's all be mad naa cool shocked

Sell Airtime to us and make money! We can buy up to 1 million naira airtime.

Also buy Mtn, glo and etisalat data on promo from us.
See over 759 positive feedback in red link below.

Just see below!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Woman Named Marijuana Pepsi Earns Doctoral Degree by seunfly: 9:01am On Jun 21, 2019
Ok
Re: Woman Named Marijuana Pepsi Earns Doctoral Degree by Mateen1000: 9:01am On Jun 21, 2019
Is not by name my broda
Some people are named miracle and still doesn’t have sec skul certificate
Imagine someone been Named marijuana, Now I think I will name my son heroine or Cocain

Re: Woman Named Marijuana Pepsi Earns Doctoral Degree by EkunKekere: 9:02am On Jun 21, 2019
tongue hi
Re: Woman Named Marijuana Pepsi Earns Doctoral Degree by EkunKekere: 9:06am On Jun 21, 2019
Bush and Rice are not similar to Marijuana. They are names that indicate an origin of one's ancestors being involved in a particular trade or profession; Rice refers to a rice farmer or trader, bush refers to a person who clears bushes for a living.

In Nigeria, particularly among Yorubas you have names like Ojedele meaning "the hunter has come home" which reflects an ancestor who was a hunter and Ogunniyi meaning "it is profitable to worship Ogun" which indicates a ancestor who was an ironsmith since Ogun is the god of iron in Yorubaland.

Marijuana only suggests that her parents are drug dealers. There's nothing respectable about that.

Rednaxelot:
We are more discriminatory towards name here,
If she lived in Nigeria with that kinda name, she would have probably changed the name cos of everyone’s reaction towards it.

There are similar names like bush, rice et al in US and no one cares

1 Like

Re: Woman Named Marijuana Pepsi Earns Doctoral Degree by tfash96(m): 9:07am On Jun 21, 2019
Which kind bloody combo name be that.... SPITS

Re: Woman Named Marijuana Pepsi Earns Doctoral Degree by tfash96(m): 9:08am On Jun 21, 2019
blackaxe78:
Cool name!

Sound sexy.

May be I could remodify and name my baby girl Marijuana Cocaine
y not pussy dick

(1) (2) (Reply)

OAU Students Pay N90 For Accommodation Per Year ―vice Chancellor / Funaab 2014/2015 Direct Entry Aspirant. Meet Here >>>cont.>>> / UNN lecturer asks students to kneel down and raise their hands

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.