Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,002 members, 7,821,512 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:08 PM

The OTG Cable - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The OTG Cable (2794 Views)

How To Use The OTG Function On Your Mobile Phone / Please Does Infinix Hot 5 Support Otg Cable? / Help Can't Use OTG Cable On My Tecno L9 Plus. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The OTG Cable by atheistandproud(m): 3:27pm On Jun 21, 2019
The wonderfully named OTG (On The Go) cable is a small device that acts as a bridge between your smartphone and any other compatible device. This device is usually small measuring between 5 to 10cm in length. At one end, it has a male micro-USB or a USB type C adapter while it has a female USB port at the other end.

There are two types of OTG cables:
i. The OTG type C cable
ii. The micro-USB OTG cable (with the micro-USB port in most devices being gradually phased out, it is expected that this OTG format may go extinct).

The major function of the OTG cable is to bring added functionality to smartphones. They are as follows:

1. Typing: most devices from Android 6.0 and above can support a USB wired keyboard and after Microsoft ported their very popular Word app to the android platform, your smartphone can now be used as typewriter, laptop or notepad (depending on the era you grew up in).

2. Printing: Whilst we may have of Wi-Fi or Bluetooth printers, not everyone can use them. In fact a lot of people still rely on the old fashioned USB printers. You can now connect your phone to a regular printer (or photocopy machine) and print to your heart’s content with the help of a paid app called Printer Share. You can find it on Google Playstore and it costs $4.99.

3. Mouse: This one is a bit of an overkill but you could plug a wired USB mouse to your phone and mess around with the controls. This one is good for impressing your friends and for operating your phone if the touchscreen is unresponsive or broken.

4. Gaming: Most modern phones are now compatible with PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers. Most of these are simply plug and play. If you can get a proper USB to PS2 converter. You can even use your PS2 controllers as well. Is GTA SA making you feel like throwing your phone at a wall in frustration? Why not get a new controller? Smartphones are now full on gaming devices.

5. Streaming/Casting: These days you can connect a USB-to-HDMI cable (or a MHL cable) from your phone to your TV and stream or mirror your devices’ screen to your TV.

6. Direct phone to phone contact: you can connect two phones directly to each other to either transfer files or to charge one another.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The OTG Cable by atheistandproud(m): 3:30pm On Jun 21, 2019
Photo of a Micro USB OTG and a Type C OTG

Re: The OTG Cable by atheistandproud(m): 3:35pm On Jun 21, 2019
Typing with a Keyboard on a Smartphone

Re: The OTG Cable by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jun 21, 2019
atheistandproud:
Cc
Lalasticlala

People need to know this.
snake.

2 Likes

Re: The OTG Cable by atheistandproud(m): 3:59pm On Jun 21, 2019
cucumbae:
snake.

Lala only cares about snakes? Lol.

1 Like

Re: The OTG Cable by OHIsIManuEL(m): 5:52pm On Jun 21, 2019
Very informative

2 Likes

Re: The OTG Cable by atheistandproud(m): 5:58pm On Jun 21, 2019
OHIsIManuEL:
Very informative

Thanks brotherly
Re: The OTG Cable by Ernerstdavid55(m): 6:04pm On Jun 21, 2019
Good

2 Likes

Re: The OTG Cable by atheistandproud(m): 6:06pm On Jun 21, 2019
[quote author=Ernerstdavid55 post=79549244]Good[/quote

It is. And unlike laptops than run down after four hours, you can type for longer periods of time.
Re: The OTG Cable by Halezis(m): 7:15pm On Jun 21, 2019
Very informative!
But that typing with a keyboard is not for someone like me. I'd type like 3 times faster whilst using my normal phone keyboardsmiley

1 Like

Re: The OTG Cable by atheistandproud(m): 7:49pm On Jun 21, 2019
Halezis:
Very informative!
But that typing with a keyboard is not for someone like me. I'd type like 3 times faster whilst using my normal phone keyboardsmiley

Thumb typing is not for me. I type faster with a keyboard.

2 Likes

Re: The OTG Cable by abdsamad(m): 1:08am On Jun 22, 2019
I need to start allowing my brain to grow so I don't feel old in a few yrs

1 Like

Re: The OTG Cable by atheistandproud(m): 7:36am On Jun 22, 2019
abdsamad:
I need to start allowing my brain to grow so I don't feel old in a few yrs

The rate at which tech is growing ehn. One has to keep us sha.
Re: The OTG Cable by Bejusttoall: 11:07am On Jun 22, 2019
Nice one op

1 Like

Re: The OTG Cable by atheistandproud(m): 11:47am On Jun 22, 2019
Bejusttoall:
Nice one op

Thank you.
Re: The OTG Cable by efjaydee(m): 5:01pm On Jun 22, 2019
Does OTG work on itel P33? cry

1 Like

Re: The OTG Cable by Abiodunspectre(m): 5:09pm On Jun 24, 2019
OTG cables are very important I can access files on Pouvoir 3 using my Camon 11 pro with the help of an OTG.

1 Like

Re: The OTG Cable by Jerrite(m): 5:14pm On Jun 24, 2019
atheistandproud:

Lala only cares about snakes? Lol.
But the otg is like snake na... grin grin grin
Re: The OTG Cable by atheistandproud(m): 2:52pm On Jun 25, 2019
I don't understand. Why is a bot deleting comments here?

(1) (Reply)

Wallet Code For Nokia 6230 / All Display Pictures / Get Paid With Airtime By Receiving Calls On Your Mobile Phone For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.