Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,615 members, 7,823,670 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:05 PM

Property Fraud! How Do We Resolve This Issue?! - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Property Fraud! How Do We Resolve This Issue?! (930 Views)

You Shouldn't Be A Victim Of Land/Property Fraud(Video).Consider Acquiring Right / Pls How Do I Handle This Issue? / Lagos Restates Zero Tolerance For Fraud In Real Estate Sector (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Property Fraud! How Do We Resolve This Issue?! by herakles: 4:05pm On Jun 23, 2019
A friend of mine was recently duped. He rented an apartment in a building under construction somewhere in ketu early this year. He was given receipts, and tenancy agreement after he made payment and told to come back around ending of April this year as the building project is expected to be completed by then.

After weeks of delay in completion of the building project, he was finally given a date to move into the new apartment as the building project will be ready by the said date. However, my friend discovered to his dismay that the apartment has been rented out to 6 other people, and someone else has already moved in (claiming to be the real tenant of the apartment). This issue did not only affect my friend, but other apartments in the house had multiple people with receipts and tenancy agreements.

My friend tried contacting the owner of the house, the property developers, and the agent that directed him there. But all numbers are switched off, and the individuals are in the wind.

I would like to know what my friend can do concerning this, as he does not believe in the police. What course of action should he take to seek redress and get his money back in the shortest possible time. He is about to become homeless.

PS: I am not the person cool

cc: lawyer, lalasticlala, Seun, Dominique, mynd44
Re: Property Fraud! How Do We Resolve This Issue?! by SLAP44: 4:16pm On Jun 23, 2019
herakles:
A friend of mine was recently duped. He rented an apartment in a building under construction somewhere in ketu early this year. He was given receipts, and tenancy agreement after he made payment and told to come back around ending of April this year as the building project is expected to be completed by then.

After weeks of delay in completion of the building project, he was finally given a date to move into the new apartment as the building project will be ready by the said date. However, my friend discovered to his dismay that the apartment has been rented out to 6 other people, and someone else has already moved in (claiming to be the real tenant of the apartment). This issue did not only affect my friend, but other apartments in the house had multiple people with receipts and tenancy agreements.

My friend tried contacting the owner of the house, the property developers, and the agent that directed him there. But all numbers are switched off, and the individuals are in the wind.

I would like to know what my friend can do concerning this, as he does not believe in the police. What course of action should be take to seek redress and get his money back in the shortest possible time. He is about to become homeless.

cc: lawyer, lalasticlala, Seun, Dominique

He should move into the house, that is, his spirit only .
Re: Property Fraud! How Do We Resolve This Issue?! by herakles: 4:17pm On Jun 23, 2019
SLAP44:

He should move into the house, that is, his spirit only .

someone is occupying the house already
Re: Property Fraud! How Do We Resolve This Issue?! by survemeka(m): 4:21pm On Jun 23, 2019
Why doesn't he believe in the police, he wants to take the law into his own hands?
Re: Property Fraud! How Do We Resolve This Issue?! by herakles: 4:26pm On Jun 23, 2019
survemeka:
Why doesn't he believe in the police, he wants to take the law into his own hands?

guy! I was the one that drove him to the police station on Saturday to file a formal complaint! The police people were asking for the usual to open file, and visit the "scene of the crime" I just weak for their matter. We are both law abiding, and I discouraged any brash action from him.

I just want to know if nairalanders can help with information on how to handle this issue
Re: Property Fraud! How Do We Resolve This Issue?! by Treash(m): 4:27pm On Jun 23, 2019
First of all, humbly request for the identity of the agent from the original occupier and his own payment receipt, if it's the same with others (including yours), file a consolidated civil action in court against the owner and his supposed agent for damages. Further let the police take swift action by getting the real owner and charging him in criminal suit, for obtaining fund by false pretence. In this case, try to mobilize the police since they request to. But if the agents are unknown, brother na welcome to Lagos package be that. Thanks.

Barr Ayo- 08068088866
ay4u888@gmail.com
Re: Property Fraud! How Do We Resolve This Issue?! by survemeka(m): 4:31pm On Jun 23, 2019
herakles:

guy! I was the one that drove him to the police station on Saturday to file a formal complaint! The police people were asking for the usual to open file, and visit the "scene of the crime" I just weak for their matter. We are both law abiding, and I discouraged any brash action from him.

I just want to know if nairalanders can help with information on how to handle this issue
Then try EFCC
Re: Property Fraud! How Do We Resolve This Issue?! by herakles: 4:32pm On Jun 23, 2019
survemeka:

Then try EFCC

I work in ikoyi, so I am planning to drop by their office on awolowo road.

Any other positive and effective ideas are welcome

5 Likes

Re: Property Fraud! How Do We Resolve This Issue?! by Treash(m): 4:38pm On Jun 23, 2019
survemeka:

Then try EFCC

Before you involve any EFCC, please check whether the duties of EFCC extends to this scenario under the EFCC Act, which I believe it doesn't. Thanks.

Barr Ayo- 08068088866
ay4u888@gmail.com
Re: Property Fraud! How Do We Resolve This Issue?! by herakles: 4:43pm On Jun 23, 2019
Treash:
First of all, humbly request for the identity of the agent from the original occupier and his own payment receipt, if it's the same with others (including yours), file a consolidated civil action in court against the owner and his supposed agent for damages. Further let the police take swift action by getting the real owner and charging him in criminal suit, for obtaining fund by false pretence. In this case, try to mobilize the police since they request to. Thanks.

Barr Ayo- 08068088866
ay4u888@gmail.com

Thanks for your advice. We checked both receipts, they are the same. The couple currently occupying the apartment, paid through same agent that directed my friend there, we don't know the owner of the house at the moment and the agent and the person my friend paid to have switched off their phones.
Re: Property Fraud! How Do We Resolve This Issue?! by survemeka(m): 4:44pm On Jun 23, 2019
Treash:

Before you involve any EFCC, please check whether the duties of EFCC extends to this scenario under the EFCC Act, which I believe it doesn't. Thanks.

Barr Ayo- 08068088866
ay4u888@gmail.com
I actually think it does as this is a financial crime.
Re: Property Fraud! How Do We Resolve This Issue?! by Treash(m): 4:48pm On Jun 23, 2019
survemeka:

I actually think it does as this is a financial crime.

Kindly get your lawyer advice or read Section 1 of EFCC Act. You can still use them in the alternative, I guess sir.
Re: Property Fraud! How Do We Resolve This Issue?! by Treash(m): 4:50pm On Jun 23, 2019
herakles:

Thanks for your advice. We checked both receipts, they are the same. The couple currently occupying the apartment, paid through same agent that directed my friend there, we don't know the owner of the house at the moment and the agent and the person my friend paid to have switched off their phones.

So he paid to an agent without an office address? The present occupier can help the police to get the agent.

Barr Ayo- 08068088866
ay4u888@gmail.com
Re: Property Fraud! How Do We Resolve This Issue?! by survemeka(m): 4:51pm On Jun 23, 2019
Treash:

Kindly get your lawyer advice or read Section 1 of EFCC Act.
What can a lawyer do in this regard? Seal the house? Track the owner? Pray tell.
Re: Property Fraud! How Do We Resolve This Issue?! by herakles: 5:04pm On Jun 23, 2019
Treash:

So he paid to an agent without an office address? The present occupier can help the police to get the agent.

Barr Ayo- 08068088866
ay4u888@gmail.com

no, he paid to the person he thought was the property owner/developer. The present occupier has no idea where the agent is
Re: Property Fraud! How Do We Resolve This Issue?! by dominique(f): 1:22pm On Jun 25, 2019
@Becaciabarbie, it could be the same fraudulent agent you're talking about

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Property Fraud! How Do We Resolve This Issue?! by BecaciaBarbie(f): 1:36pm On Jun 25, 2019
dominique:
@Becaciabarbie, it could be the same fraudulent agent you're talking about
BIG YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!
Re: Property Fraud! How Do We Resolve This Issue?! by BecaciaBarbie(f): 1:39pm On Jun 25, 2019
herakles:

I would like to know what my friend can do concerning this, as he does not believe in the police. What course of action should he take to seek redress and get his money back in the shortest possible time. He is about to become homeless.

cc: lawyer, lalasticlala, Seun, Dominique, mynd44
I am a victim too and this is so devastating.... cry cry
Re: Property Fraud! How Do We Resolve This Issue?! by dominique(f): 1:46pm On Jun 25, 2019
BecaciaBarbie:

BIG YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Wow!!! Something has to be done, they must be stopped before more people are duped
Re: Property Fraud! How Do We Resolve This Issue?! by BecaciaBarbie(f): 2:00pm On Jun 25, 2019
dominique:

Wow!!! Something has to be done, they must be stopped before more people are duped
Exactly, I have their pics on my thread, someone else also uploaded a video that showed the face of the main man who collected all payments. The funniest part is, it seems they have been arrested once but probably released again and the business continues.
Re: Property Fraud! How Do We Resolve This Issue?! by herakles: 3:29pm On Jun 25, 2019
BecaciaBarbie:
I am a victim too and this is so devastating.... cry cry

shocked is it the same building at Alapere, I Karimu street?
Re: Property Fraud! How Do We Resolve This Issue?! by Treash(m): 6:56pm On Jun 25, 2019
You guys didn't take it serious. If the nearest police station is not helping, then write a joint petition to the Lagos State Commissioner of Police. Attach all the purported payment receipt to confirm same. They can even seal up the entire building until the real owner shows up. I trust my humble self. The day some police officers in Sango Ota division tried to cover up a matter, I quickly addressed the A.I.G, Onikan for swift caution. It's like you guys don't value your money. Note: It can be done to anyone close to you again. Keep deliberating here.

(1) (Reply)

See This Beautiful Jerald Covers Design From Adedward / A Decent Mini Flat At Megida Ayobo Lagos / BREAKING: Building On Fire In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.